Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you get the chain under it?

View Quote

A few ways I can see.
Lift and poke, start at one end and pivot up the hull with crane, slide under cable along hull, then pull chain.
Direction drill into ocean floor under hull with drill rod then attach cable/chain then pull.

Maybe @smokie can enlighten us
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn’t know Hyundai made Suburbans and Tahoes.

That’s what I was thinking

Hyundai Palisade.  

https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/hyundai/2021-palisade-profile-caligraphy-moonlight-cloud:Vehicle-Carousel?fmt=png-alpha

Those aren’t Palisades.

Palisades are built on a different continent.  That ship had cars produced in America going overseas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those aren’t Palisades.

Palisades are built on a different continent.  That ship had cars produced in America going overseas.
View Quote

It also had private vehicles on it being transported to foreign ports. The company I work for paid a lot of claims on them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
OP talking about the crane reminded of a series of pics that I got from a guy whose buddy was the crane operator that pulled Captain Sully's plane out of the Hudson. Very surprised that there was no media coverage, AFIK, of the recovery. Operation was done at night; don't know why. Started about 10ish and they had the plane on a barge around 5am. Will have to look for those pics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome thread subscribed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A few ways I can see.
Lift and poke, start at one end and pivot up the hull with crane, slide under cable along hull, then pull chain.
Direction drill into ocean floor under hull with drill rod then attach cable/chain then pull.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few ways I can see.

They were pre installed before I got here, but I would imagine water-jetting out tunnels under the hull with divers then pulling the chain through with cables.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They were pre installed before I got here, but I would imagine water-jetting out tunnels under the hull with divers then pulling the chain through with cables.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few ways I can see.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They wouldn’t have used a steerable drill?

Seems much safer and the tech is ubiquitous in pipe laying and cable laying.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet. Some sweet nearly new vehicles gonna be available soon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
That’s really cool.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
A giant chain powered by two large engine made the first cut through the keel this weekend. This work required a giant piece of equipment called the Versabar VB 10,000 crane vessel that was first built a decade ago to help with oil rigs damaged in hurricanes.
Capsized Cargo Ship Full of Cars to Be Dismantled
This enormous work vessel is made up of two barges with two truss space frames between them and is able to lift heavy wreckage out of the water so it can be loaded onto other ships and carried away. The VB 10,000 can lift 7500 metric tons, and it’s estimated that the first section of the Golden Ray weighed 6000 metric tons, with all sorts of cars and sediment inside.

First portion of Golden Ray taken away
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A giant chain powered by two large engine made the first cut through the keel this weekend. This work required a giant piece of equipment called the Versabar VB 10,000 crane vessel that was first built a decade ago to help with oil rigs damaged in hurricanes.
Capsized Cargo Ship Full of Cars to Be Dismantled
This enormous work vessel is made up of two barges with two truss space frames between them and is able to lift heavy wreckage out of the water so it can be loaded onto other ships and carried away. The VB 10,000 can lift 7500 metric tons, and it's estimated that the first section of the Golden Ray weighed 6000 metric tons, with all sorts of cars and sediment inside.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/golden-ray-cutting-800x600-1606931460.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.816xh;0,0.0667xh&resize=768:*

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/capsize-1606930310.png?crop=1.00xw:0.484xh;0,0.157xh&resize=768:*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVShC3x-_4g
View Quote
In that first picture is where it started getting fun for me, I could finally see what I was doing lol. Before that all the cutting was hidden under the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They wouldn't have used a steerable drill?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wouldn't have used a steerable drill?

I think the depth of the work area probably isn't deep enough to use a drill rig, it's only like 50' of water here.
Only really need a space about 5'wide x 5' tall to get a cable through just under the hull.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the kind of shit I lurk GD for.  Thank you, and subscribed to that channel now.
View Quote

There are some cool salvage videos on Youtube.

Its amazing what those guys do.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the kind of shit I lurk GD for.  Thank you, and subscribed to that channel now.

The claws we have for the crane are really neat, it's like a giant stuffed animal game, just for entire oil production platforms.

VB10,000 Claw Lifts 4 Topsides

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In that first picture is where it started getting fun for me, I could finally see what I was doing lol. Before that all the cutting was hidden under the bottom.
View Quote

Do the anchor chains ever wear out to where they have to be replaced?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but it takes a while for them to get to that point. They mostly just get shiny.
You can see that in the picture a few posts up, the chain is more polished where it's close to the cut line.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The ship's chief officer, Hyunjin Park, said the ship had begun to list port side during cargo loading at Brunswick but was stable prior to departure...

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The claws we have for the crane are really neat, it's like a giant stuffed animal game, just for entire oil production platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEK56vfO2c
View Quote

"Hey we need to get some shit off the ocean floor, how should we do it?"

"Hear me out......You ever been to Chucky Cheese?"
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
@smokie what’s going on out there?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@smokie what's going on out there?
View Quote
Should be getting ready to cut again soon, been dealing with this fog out here.
Hope this isn't a reoccurring thing, but I've never worked the east coast before.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ENOJBLVgjw

Different event, but similar situation.

@neotopiaman
@kar98k
View Quote

They should have the big titties girl from the oil refinery shut-down video narrarate this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@smokie has anyone done a video on how it works?  Would your employer even contemplate letting someone like Destin from Smarter Every Day film the operation, for science?
View Quote
fuck yes
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top