Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, so I wasn't the only one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been more relieved to see a coffee thread.
OK, so I wasn't the only one.
No....you weren't.  *WHEW*
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's just the cheapest one I could find on amazon. Apairently it's not the right one for the job, but seems to work fine. Drawbacks are that it makes a mess and blows a few beans out durring the process.

Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IUWA?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This morning my son and I did a small cupping session. It was a really fun experience!

I've been a "coffee nerd" for some time now, but never took the plunge into the world of roasting. So, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered some green coffee and a popcorn popper. I've roasters a few small batches now and have to say that it's miles beyond anything I've bought off the shelf, even when I screw it up!

This morning my 3 1/2 year old was begging to make coffee with the popcorn popper, so I decided to oblige him.

We grabbed a newly acquired bag of Ethiopian and headed out side.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-0417-262552.jpg

We roasted a light roast and a darker roast. The light one was pulled about 30 seconds after the start of first the first crack and the dark just at the start of the second crack.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-0412-262562.jpg

Now, there seems to be great argument over how long one needs to wait for the freshly roasted coffee to rest before grinding and brewing, but we did t wait. We did save some for tomorrow to see if it makes a difference one way or the other.

The light roast was super light, in fact under roasted I think. Good nonetheless. The darker one was the single best taste of coffee I've ever had! Amazing! So, I brewed up a cup and shared it with my son on the porch.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-0408-262563.jpg

He loved it!

He asks for a cup of coffee a few times a week, so I think he really doesn't like it. I have no idea why.

As he is still doing full speed laps of the backyard, 4 hours later......   I could not imagine my little dudes on coffee.....   sugar is bad enough!    

I had a home roaster send me some fresh roast before.... it was the most amazing liquid I have ever consumed....  the oils and flavors were amazing!   I have often thought about getting into roasting, but did not want the investment of a roaster.... do you have a link to the popcorn popper you use?  any drawbacks to it?  
It's just the cheapest one I could find on amazon. Apairently it's not the right one for the job, but seems to work fine. Drawbacks are that it makes a mess and blows a few beans out durring the process.

Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IUWA?tag=vglnk-c102-20
I have essentially the same popper, and I made a screen tube about 5 inches tall, the diameter of the popper chamber, that sits in there friction fit. I happened to have a piece of stainless mesh laying around, but the goal was just to get the column taller to prevent the beans from going high enough to come out, while the chaff keeps on going. I usually roast enough to fill up a quart jar, about 1/2 cup at a time, sometimes a little less, depending on how the beans are moving. Too many and they don't keep moving.
Another thing to look out for is getting them to stop cooking by spreading them out quickly so they stop cooking. They stay hot for a surprisingly long time for a little bean.

The popper will take on a coffee color, but no problems noted by others in my family who still use it for popping corn from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What in the fuck is "cupping"?  Drinking a cup of coffee?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm just spitballing here, but how about "Morning coffee tasting with my son". 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

Well, cupping is a new term to me too, so I get it...
There needs to be a better verb to describe "Taste testing various home made roasts" than "cupping". It's just gay. 
Maybe, but aren't we the group tho jumps peoples balls for calling a magazine a clip?

Gotta use the proper terms, yo.

From Wikipedia
Coffee cupping, or coffee tasting, is the practice of observing the tastes and aromas of brewed coffee.
In your defense, "Morning tasting with my son" doesn't sound much better.
That's thinking outside the box.  Your disruptive innovation has really shifted the paradigm.  Let's move forward with that so we can leverage our synergy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

There needs to be a better verb to describe "Taste testing various home made roasts" than "cupping". It's just gay. 
Maybe, but aren't we the group tho jumps peoples balls for calling a magazine a clip?

From Wikipedia
Coffee cupping, or coffee tasting, is the practice of observing the tastes and aromas of brewed coffee.
but how many people would have clicked?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread title is proof that the internet has ruined me.

May have to try this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

From Wikipedia
OP can get even more clicks by changing the title to "Morning spooning with my son"

Never heard of the term "cupping" but it sounds a lot like spooning.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP can get even more clicks by changing the title to "Morning spooning with my son"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

From Wikipedia

But, We weren't spooning. We were cupping. He will only spoon with his mom...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Well shit, again Arfcom finds money for me to spend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

From Wikipedia
"Sucking down some black Joe with my boy." probably would be a bit ambiguous also.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not going to lie. I got a little creeped out when I read the thread title. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This morning my son and I did a small cupping session. It was a really fun experience!

I've been a "coffee nerd" for some time now, but never took the plunge into the world of roasting. So, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered some green coffee and a popcorn popper. I've roasters a few small batches now and have to say that it's miles beyond anything I've bought off the shelf, even when I screw it up!

This morning my 3 1/2 year old was begging to make coffee with the popcorn popper, so I decided to oblige him.

We roasted a light roast and a darker roast. The light one was pulled about 30 seconds after the start of first the first crack and the dark just at the start of the second crack.

Now, there seems to be great argument over how long one needs to wait for the freshly roasted coffee to rest before grinding and brewing, but we did t wait. We did save some for tomorrow to see if it makes a difference one way or the other.

The light roast was super light, in fact under roasted I think. Good nonetheless. The darker one was the single best taste of coffee I've ever had! Amazing! So, I brewed up a cup and shared it with my son on the porch.

He loved it!

He asks for a cup of coffee a few times a week, so I think he really does like it. I have no idea why.
View Quote
Were you the person who started a thread on this recently?  If so, I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you!   You are having better luck than I am, although I'm using an even more primitive roasting apparatus (cast iron skillet and whisk).  I did my third batch a few days ago (probably when I read your thread) and like the first two, it was drinkable but not even as good as cheap beans from the grocery store.  Maybe I'm not going dark enough but I'm afraid to go too far down this rabbit hole because I know me and specialized coffee roasting machines are expensive!  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Interwebs says this is the one you seek.

COFFEE ROASTER

ETA: Maybe not. Sounds like the thermal switch cuts it off too soon. Needs convection oven attachment on top.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Just what the world needed. One more 3 year old hipster geeked up on caffeine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

From Wikipedia
A fair point. Hat tip to you, sir. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
who feeds their 3.5 yr old fucking caffeine????

jesus christ.
View Quote
I do. My 3 year old grand daughter and I sit looking out the sliding glass door on the back of the house drinking our coffee and watching the birds and squirrels. Nothing is said, we just sit there, watch the animals and let the world go by. Nothing better than bonding like this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow!

Far as giving my kid a few tablespoons of coffee... I'd rather give home that than a hot cocoa full of sugar or cookies. He's calmly sitting on the couch watching a movie right now and after that he'll go out and play in the pool for a couple hours before his nap.
View Quote
Seems retarded that everything needs a new name, can't just say "we enjoyed a cup of coffee together"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Has OP ever had pants tailored by Joey Tribiani's taylor?
View Quote
^LOL. "Wait, don't they all do that"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Title reminded me of this scene

The Vacation, Rim Job Scene (2015)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Everything you need is here. https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/roast-coffee/

Buy coffee here.
Http://www.sweetmarias.com
View Quote
You sir, just cost me $38 for 4 lbs of coffee and a better air popper.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seems retarded that everything needs a new name, can't just say "we enjoyed a cup of coffee together"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

Far as giving my kid a few tablespoons of coffee... I'd rather give home that than a hot cocoa full of sugar or cookies. He's calmly sitting on the couch watching a movie right now and after that he'll go out and play in the pool for a couple hours before his nap.
Cupping is not a new term.

Again, From Wikipedia
Cupping is a traditional practice; in the United States, cupping became a standard industry practice in the late 19th century
We enjoyed a cup after the cupping.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#23]
why are you letting your kid drink coffee lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Were you the person who started a thread on this recently?  If so, I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you!   You are having better luck than I am, although I'm using an even more primitive roasting apparatus (cast iron skillet and whisk).  I did my third batch a few days ago (probably when I read your thread) and like the first two, it was drinkable but not even as good as cheap beans from the grocery store.  Maybe I'm not going dark enough but I'm afraid to go too far down this rabbit hole because I know me and specialized coffee roasting machines are expensive!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He loved it!

He asks for a cup of coffee a few times a week, so I think he really does like it. I have no idea why.
I did not start that thread. do you have a link?

I tried at fist to roast it over a stove using a cheap pot. It worked fine, but took too much standing and stirring the whole time. Way easier to just toss it in the popcorn popper and listen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"Sucking down some black Joe with my boy." probably would be a bit ambiguous also.
View Quote
"Getting my beans toasted with my 3y/o"  would work... maybe
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
HOLY SHIT YOU CAN ROAST COFFEE BEANS IN A POPCORN POPPER?

HOLY SHIT YOU CAN ROAST COFFEE BEANS IN A POPCORN POPPER!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  I was hesitant to click
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But you did... Sicko!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
HOLY SHIT YOU CAN ROAST COFFEE BEANS IN A POPCORN POPPER?

HOLY SHIT YOU CAN ROAST COFFEE BEANS IN A POPCORN POPPER!
View Quote
Yes, and the result is way better than I ever thought possible!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]
this thread is messed up. kid is too young for caffeine 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw the thread title about 10 times before I decided to click on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Tweak!    Great pic of your son!

My bro's mom in law was a elementary teacher and fed coffee to her young grandkids.  Not sure how young, but under 10.  She said it makes them smarter.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
this thread is messed up. kid is too young for caffeine 
View Quote
Given that he only gets a couple oz a few times a week, I'm not worried about it. At all.

It seems to have no effect negative on him at all but to actually calm him.

A kids hot cocoa on the other hand and he'll be bouncing off walls in a matter of minuets. It's actually sad to see the effect that sugar has on him even is a small dose. It's child abuse in the worst form.

These days, most parents won't blink an eye about giving them 2-3 times the (already insanely high) RDA of sugar, but give them a few mg caffeine and OMGWTFBBQ call cps!

But, give em sugar and watch them squirm and laugh about it cause it cute....

ETA: plus, at the end he said, "thanks for having coffee with me dad, that was fun."
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Roasting the beans in one thing, but different brewing methods give different tastes and strength of coffee too. French press is more bitter tasting, moka pot is smooth and flavorful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#37]
If I had a son I'd eat ice cream with him and start a threat titled "nightly spooning with my boy."
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Roasting the beans in one thing, but different brewing methods give different tastes and strength of coffee too. French press is more bitter tasting, moka pot is smooth and flavorful.
View Quote
I feel like I've got brewing and grinding methods covered...

I can't find my moka pot though... I think Christmas was the last time I used it.

Sure, grind, extraction method and time and water temp make huge differences. But the roast makes the biggest differenc of all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Indeed!  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Mail man just dropped off two more lbs.

Looks like I'll be roasting and cupping again after work!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Does the kind of water you use for brewing make a vast difference?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought this was referring to 'spooning' and am glad to hear it is about coffee. C'mon, let's call it drinking coffee guys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
who feeds their 3.5 yr old fucking caffeine????

jesus christ.
View Quote
Hey mom, get off my computer.

Much better to give them candy or ice cream, eh retard?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can't find my moka pot though... I think Christmas was the last time I used it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-0424-262716.jpg

Sure, grind, extraction method and time and water temp make huge differences. But the roast makes the biggest differenc of all.
View Quote
Turns out it was a very short thread on coffee roasting.

I've got both of the grinders you show in your photo and a couple of weeks ago I bought a Baratza Virtuoso.  It's like going from the lowest level Hyundai to the highest level Mercedes.  Highly recommended if you can make it happen.  The Encore is the next level down from the Virtuoso and it's about $100 cheaper and almost as good as the Virtuoso. 

About a year ago, I spent a couple of days looking for my moka pot and then I remembered that the handle broke off and I had to throw it away. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes water with a bad taste will come through in the coffee too. Good clean filtered or distilled water is best.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only if you have functional taste buds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been roasting my own for a while now OP and I agree that it is WAY better than store bought.  Cheaper too!  I also do it the same way you do, with a popcorn popper...including the same model.  I've found that I like to let mine rest (and breathe) for a couple days for it to be best but like you say, you can drink it right away too and it is still great.

I haven't purchased beans from Lavanta but get most of mine through Sweet Maria's  It appears that they are quite a bit less expensive but be assured that they are also picky about what they buy.  They travel all over the world and do extensive cupping tests of their own.

Anyway, enjoy the new hobby and good for you and your son for sharing that experience. It IS fun!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've got both of the grinders you show in your photo and a couple of weeks ago I bought a Baratza Virtuoso.  It's like going from the lowest level Hyundai to the highest level Mercedes.  Highly recommended if you can make it happen.  The Encore is the next level down from the Virtuoso and it's about $100 cheaper and almost as good as the Virtuoso. 

About a year ago, I spent a couple of days looking for my moka pot and then I remembered that the handle broke off and I had to throw it away. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-0424-262716.jpg

Well, I guess I missed a gd coffee thread.

Maybe someday I'll take the plunge on one of those super fancy grinders, but for now, mine will have to do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why didn't OP just say he was making coffee with his son?
Page / 5
Top Top