Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom requested that she be cremated and the ashes dispersed at sea. That's exactly what we did.

My only regret about the whole thing is not having a lace where I can go visit her. Going to the oceanside isn't the same.

Call me weird......
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just see it as a horrible last moment to spend on this earth, having your body burned to shit.

I myself want to be buried in 6ft of rose pedals

I've been around exhumed bodies.   Do your loved one a favor, don't put a flower or a can of beer in the coffin to be buried with them.  All the bacteria does real nasty stuff to the body.  Some bodies get dug up and look, well uhhh, like the day they died!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Once my spirit has left my body, I don't really care what happens to my body. Whether it becomes ashes or worm food, what's it really matter at that point? We will no longer be in it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The owner of the local Funeral Home and I are good friends and always joking.

Last we spoke when Granny passed, I told him what I wanted done to me.

I want my favorite AR with a full magazine and one in the chamber in there with me and my finger on the trigger. This will ensure I get handled well and not bumped around during transportation to being planted.

And, a 10 pound fire extinguisher mounted in the box, in case I make a wrong turn.

He still laughs about that.

When I asked about Cremation, he said that he had been in on one in his career and it was the most gruesome thing that he had ever experienced.

I'll be planted.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been a rambler, all my life
Been a bet it all gambler
Yeah I let it all ride
Never been afraid of losin
Yeah there's been times I've lost it all
But it wont really matter
Someday when I'm gone

You can bury me on Deadwood Mountain
By my brother wild Bill and sister calamity Jane
Don't bring me no flowers
Just a six gun  AR smokin
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me

When your heart runs deeper
Then a ghost town gold mine
You just know your bound to find that motherload
You'll spend your last heartbeat chasing after rainbows
No there's no place you won't go
To win one more time

Just a six gun smokin
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me
And cover me a little extra deep
Cause that's the only way
I'm gonna rest in peace

Just a six gun smokin
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me
Put me eight feet down
When you bury me

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
When the last light goes out you will be past caring. That's why they call it 'past caring.' At least I hope so!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Send my body to the soylent green factory when I am dead, because I am done using it.  I don't really care because I will be dead.  If my relatives need a place to remember me, they can plant a tree in my honor and visit that.

Besides, if you do the math there is not enough suitable land to bury everbody.  If you need a 8'x4' hole for each body (casket + a border), times a billion people, that is alot of land.  At some point, we would have to start stacking.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
funny story....one of my instructors had parents that did the cremating and junk. Well, you had to put the ashes outside to cool and he had to watch over them. Turned out he somehow got locked out of the place, and had to warm his hands with a person's hot ashes for awhile
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
It was good enough for Darth Vader

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Little known fact - Vikings did NOT wear helmets with horns on them.

Oh, oh but but they did!!!!  I saw it on TV so it has to be true
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't see why it would be, we will all be cremated in about 5 billion years when the sun dies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Im 100% for cremation.  To quote the late great Rodney Dangerfield... " country clubs and cemetarys are the biggest wastes of prime realestate"  If you figure of all the shit that the mortician pumps into you after you die the whole ashes to ashes dust to dust thing kinda looses its merit.  Yes if youre buried the circle of life ends.  I say burn em burn em all.  That will put my mind at ease. The less bodies that can be reanimated as zombies the better.  Unless of course its a really hot naked zombie chick.  Ok that settles it.  Only HOT looking women should be buried.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"We can burn her, bury her, or dump her."
"Dump her?"
"Dump her in the Thames."
"Ugh."
"Oh, did you like her?"
"Yes."
"Oh, then we won't dump her.  So should we burn her or bury her?"
"Which do you recommend?"
"Well, they're both nasty.  If we burn her, she's flung into the flames, crackle crackle crackle, which is a bit of a shock if she's not quite dead - but quick.  And afterwards, we give you some ashes which you can pretend were hers.  If we bury her, she gets eaten up by maggots and weevils, nibble nibble nibble, which as I said before, is a bit of a shock if she's not quite dead."

FRED!

Yea!

I THINK WE'VE GOT AN EATER!

I'll get the oven on!

Um, er...excuse me, um, are you... are you suggesting we should eat my mother?

Yeah. Not raw, not raw. We cook her. She'd be delicious with a few french fries, a bit of stuffing. Delicious! (smacks his lips)

What! (he stammers)

Actually, I do feel a bit peckish - No! NO, I can't!

Look, we'll eat your mum. Then, if you feel a bit guilty about it afterwards, we can dig a grave and you can throw up into it.

All right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I want a Viking funeral.

www.listonart.com/Art_Of_The_Month/2002/Images/A_Viking_Funeral.jpg

Tannerite!!!! (well, someone had to say it )

No, really, being Jewish I want to be buried. Organ donation is fine as long as the people who get my organs themselves request to be buried.

Not only is that Jewish law, but the whole cremation thing freaks me out a bit, with Aushwitz and the other death camps and all.

I also think it is important for my family have a place to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm an organ donor (and motorcycle rider, fitting ain't it?) and have requested of my family that I be put in a giant oven for a trial by fire.

I don't want them wasting a lot of money on a time capsul box and land I can't enjoy.  Wasted money in my mind.  Haven't decided on what I want done with my ashes.  I guess I'd leave that up to them but the idea of them having my ashes up on somebody's mantle kindof weirds me out.  

I also don't really want anybody to have to go through some elaborate chore to get rid of my carbon leftovers, so no hiking up Everest and spreading me in the wind or anything like that.

I guess the only answer is....TANNERITE!

For those who do want their ashes spread, do your buddies a favor and don't ask to be spread at the coast.  The Dude would appreciate it.

ETA: It also seems to me that it's not going to matter if I get fried now or later.  Depending on your view of things either the earth will be tried by fire after the Millenial Reign on Earth or the Sun will eat up our planet anyway...so it's not really gonna matter.

I'm dead anyway, what do I care?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I want a Viking funeral.

Me too!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put your hand under some hot water, think about 100x more extreme.

go have an MRI done of your head...now multiply that claustrophobic feeling times 1,000,000, and add to it the sensation of slowly being eaten by worms.  Doesn't THAT sound nice

If you have a nice coffin you won't have a insect problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Little known fact - Vikings did NOT wear helmets with horns on them.

Yes, they did.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do whatever is cheapest, just dont donate me to be cut up.

Im for being cremated.

What if you can still feel when dead? What if your soul has yet to leave your body, what if that shit hurts like a mother fucker and you can't do anything about it.

Put your hand under some hot water, think about 100x more extreme.

Yeah, but being buried and know it would also suck.. I guess you just dont die, thatll solve it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm all for Cremation, I think it's rather selfish to wanna be buried, it's a waste of real estate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]
cremate me and shoot my ashes out of a cannon
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#23]
When my time comes, I want to be cremated.  Why should I take up 18 cubic feet or so of earth, inside a sealed box, inside a concrete vault, under another 42 cubic feet or so of dirt, with an expensive granite/stone marker, that after a few years no one will come visit.  

I would much rather have my ashes scattered to the winds and sea from a boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off Treasure Island Florida (place I grew up). That way every night as people watch the sunset into the gulf they are also looking at my resting place and I can look back.

Of course this after my friends walk around with my urn and go up to all the people I disliked in life and flick a pinch of ash into their face/eyes and tell the "Smoky say goodbye".
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
This whole waste of realestate thing is a joke,
It would take another 1,000 years for us to be worried with the dead taking up too much space, I don't feel a grave site should be any were near a city, I think it should be a nice quiet peacful place.

And cost wise, you waste more money on junk food. I have respected my body long enough that when my time comes I am not just going to flush it down the toilet after all I spent my life in it. I am going to give it a monument, I don't see a problem spending $200,000 on a tomb stone. It would be pretty kick ass to have a nice statue at my grave. And some type of torch.

After all you only die once
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top