Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Square toes are gay.  Other than that, anything goes.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have heard this....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 on Lucchese and my Tecovas also have been fine.  If you can, I recommend going to an actual Western boot shop and trying several on vs buying your first pair online.  You'll find a lot of variation in the fit, brand to brand and even within a brand.
I have heard this....

You need to try on the boots. I tried a pair of Tony Llama’s I really liked and first tried my measured size, then the next size up. Both were painful as shit. I can wear Justin and Naconias and both are very comfortable. Nothing wrong with Tony Llama’s, it is just my feet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The only place for leather sole boots is the dance floor.  They suck for any other use.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only place for leather sole boots is the dance floor.  They suck for any other use.
View Quote
I can't argue that.
Leather soles are slippery on wet ground and snow, they don't last long if used in a harsh underfoot environment, and a riding heel sucks to walk on for any distance.
But I don't use my western boots for any of the above, only for dress or comfort and in those two instances leather soles are supreme and I wouldn't have my boots any other way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]

she said they looked good on me.

i bought these in 97. they got resoled once. haven't worn them since probably 2000. i just have them hanging on a wall, memories or something.

Attachment Attached File

you think these look gay. you should see the matching belt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very happy with my Double H brand boots.
View Quote

Could not be happier with mine as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Currently in the group, all are square toe, all are my work boots

I have

Double h
Twisted x
Justin
Dan post

The twisted x are the most comfortable so far
View Quote
Twisted X. Had to look them up. Picked up a couple of pairs of their "Hooey" shoes.
Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a farm and wear my boots everyday. I like Justin for working and Ariat for going out in town
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What brand are those?
View Quote

norcona. these were made in America. no idea what there product is like now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lucchese ropers.
View Quote

These for a win. Mine are 29 years old and still spiffy
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Tin Haul or
Anderson Bean
I wear Ariat for work but always had Justin’s growing up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lucchese ropers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Anderson Bean, Rios of :Mercedes or Olathe. Find a store and try them on. Get the hybrid sole, leather with a swath of rubber on the ball portion.

Rios don’t fit me well, don’t like the arch in them (for me). Beans fit me the best.  I get mine in KC at a family owned store, and visit them once a year for the “trunk show” and every few years design a pair and order them.  I’m a full quill ostrich guy and have been wearing nothing but them for 20ish years.

No cowboy, but raise and hobby train horses and have a few cows for the tax write off.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, in the saddle for what the boots were designed for.  Pointy toe to get in stirrup easier, leather sole so the boot slides into the stirrup easier, and a tall heel to keep your boot/foot from going all the way through the stirrup.  Being drug by a horse is not a good way to go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I own two pair that I use when riding horses. Cowboy boots are absolutely horrible for everything else. The whole point of them is to be able to get into and out of stirrups quickly.
View Quote

I like to ride in sneakers so my feet fall through and I like to wear boots on the street so people know I’m a cowboy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QFT

Pointy is for the gays
View Quote

Okay Pilgrim.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I like to ride in sneakers so my feet fall through and I like to wear boots on the street so people know I’m a cowboy.
View Quote

Q - Why do cowboys wear sneakers?
A - So people don't mistake them for truck drivers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It’s been mentioned a couple times already, but leather soles are not the way to go if you’re going to be wearing these every day. I have a pair of Lucchese caiman boots with leather soles...they look really nice but they’re uncomfortable and they’re slick. Not sure about the durability because I rarely wear them but they’re not made for rain, mud, etc.

I wear a pair of Ariat square toed work boots every day. They have a rubber sole and they’re really comfortable. I have another pair of nicer Ariat boots that I wear to church, dinner, functions, etc. I’ve owned Red Wings in the past and they’re great boots as well.

Since you mentioned handmade, I’ve heard really good things about Tecovas. Whatever you do, make sure you try on a few different brands before you buy. Boots fit a lot differently than other shoes. I wear a 12 in running or hiking shoes, but I wear an 11.5 in most boots. And some are a lot more comfortable/fit better than others.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Tecovas sells direct with no middle man so you can get a quality boot for almost half price.  They come with a return label so if they don't fit you can return them for an exchange.  I have two pairs and they are very well made with really nice leather.  My previous go to for boots were Tony Lama's but Tecovas are just as nice for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my Tin Haul boots and Rios of Mercedes. You will find the largest portion of cowboys boots will be from Mexico and they are well made. Hell, the boots made in the USA are more than likely made by highly skilled Mexicans. I wear nothing but cowboy boots and always have. I pushed back on the square toe trend forever but it’s hard to find any other style now. I actually prefer them now.

I see many people recommended Double H and I can say they are durable, but they were never really comfortable for me. I believe they are made in Pennsylvanian.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Lucchese is what you desire
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Muck boots here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#29]
You don’t want leather soles. I’ve worn through a ton of them and they’re slick as shit. Get a pair of HH or Ariats with a thin rubber sole. Roper/low walker heel, not the “cowboy” or “rider” heel.

Broken in boots are as comfortable as a good set of tennis shoes. I wear them 5/7 days typically

Can’t go wrong with a square toe, stay away from cockroach killers, a wide round toe if you must.

Just because a pair is expensive doesn’t mean they’re good. I’d take my $200 Ariat ATSs over my $500 Anderson Beans any day
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]
OP,,,For Gods sake do not buy the square toe foot covers out there today. They are NOT Cowboy boots.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a narrow foot and finally found my Ariats a few years ago and they fit awesome. Love them and wear them as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, lots of good recommendations so far, I will add Dan Post

I have a pair and they seem to be popular with guys here in OK.  Very comfortable boot, very well made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP,,,For Gods sake do not buy the square toe foot covers out there today. They are NOT Cowboy boots.
View Quote

Prefer cockroach killers then ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tecovas are handmade in León, Mexico
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that, but make sure you can return them. Hand made can have some anomalies. I have tried on several hundred pair of boots in Mexico, and though made wonderfully, they don't fit right. If I were ever measured and had them made, it might be different.
Tecovas probably has a better quality control for fit than Jose the cobbler.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting. I wear red wing heritage boots but have considered a pair of cowboy boots
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ll be sure to tell the day work cowboys that they aren’t wearing cowboy boots

I’ve heard NOCONA mentioned a lot. They aren’t Nacona (doesn’t exist), and Nokona is the athletic goods manufacturer with no ties to the Nocona boot company other than they both started in Nocona, TX.

Nocona boot was bought out decades ago by Justin and virtually all of their stock is cheap Chinese junk. I’ve come to understand that a select few are made in the US but they are basically a Justin boot. They haven’t been made in Nocona for 20 years.

Fenoglio boots are still made there and started up after the shuttering of the factory

ETA: I get the “buy American “ thing and more power to you. It tickles me though that people will hate on boots made in Mexico- as if we don’t owe basically everything to the Mexicans for our “western” culture and design
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I have two pairs of Tecovas. Both are excellent boots. Quality is superb and the experience with buying and returns was as good and as simple as it gets.

I also have a pair of Ariat's that were made in China. They are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever owned, and I totally hate to admit that.

Based on this thread, I'm probably going to get a pair of 9002 Rios and Luchese ropers. You guys are killing me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I have arriats and double H.

When I moved to Texas and got a pair of boots I was taught that leather soles are for dancing and rubber soles for everything else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I wear Ariat and Justin Ropers for day to day . Anderson Beans for special occasions .
No square toes . No super pointy toes .

Fun fact alot of people dont know . The super pointy toes were made for killing Cockroaches in corners.

Not really just a joke .
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Have pair of Justin elephant made in the US nearly 30 years old. Not a daily boot. Use a steel toe Tony Llama work boot when I go to the field.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ehhh if you go to legit cow operations in Nevada, Oregon, Idaho and Arizona I bet they are all wearing square toe. I mean the real cow operations were guys are living in the saddle and out in the middle of no where not feeding cows in a lot. Not that it matters rock whatever ya like I mean for 99.5% of people it’s just a fashion item.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#46]
My first pair of boots was a basic pair of Justin ropers.  I wanted to try them on and be "fitted" so I bought them at a western store (they also sold high-end boots).  I think I paid a little over $100 for them almost 10 years ago and they're still in great shape, but I really only wear them as dress shoes.

I would recommend you buy less expensive boots that you can try on first.  If you like them you can always upgrade later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Whatever flavor of Tecovas floats your boat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I wear Boulet boots. Unfortunately they’re made in Canada but fit me better than anything and are affordable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#49]
DH1552 in 3E width is all I wear. Wear them out in about 2 years and always have 3 pairs. Daily, out on the town and an extra in the box.  When the daily gets worn out then they get rotated and I order a new pair. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn and don’t plan on changing unless they quit making them.

Unless you plan on 2 stepping, stay away from leather soles unless you want to be seen on the tube eating shit on wet ground.

Only way to pick a pair of boots the first time is to go try them on. Just like a hat. Bet you won’t go buy a car without a test drive? Boots on your feet being comfortable is just as important as your ass in a seat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Very happy with my Double H brand boots.
View Quote

Right there with ya!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top