Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Rogue One gets good when you get to the classic Star Wars space battles with X Wings and shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It had potential, but it wasn't very good. Too much time spent throwing bones to the fanboys not enough with a compelling story, character development, diversity-poster nonsense.
View Quote
It had fine character development.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I alone in this?
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tried 2 different times. And I just gave up.

Am I alone in this?
View Quote

Get meds for your ADD.
I thought it was the best SW movie since Empire.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, ok, I guess if you say so.

Other than Jyn, what do we know about any of the characters? Why do we give a shit about any of them? Bodhi, the kung-fu-jedi wannabe and machine-gun-blaster dude?

They're disposable. Not fleshed out. Inconsequential, just set pieces. The only character that I think had any actual depth was Galen Erso, and he's barely in it except to get killed.

Not even going to touch on Uncanny Valley Tarkin and the rubber-faced young Leia, or cheesy one liner Vader and his badass skills he forgets in a couple weeks verses Kenobi.

Meh, a dropped ball. Had potential, but just not a compelling story and mostly fan service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, ok, I guess if you say so. 
View Quote
Rogue One has the tried and true Star Wars/Disney formula and character development.   If you went in expecting something else I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rogue 1 was a very good spin off disguised as a war movie.  To me it plays out like Guns of Navarone. The ending 10 minutes felt like a horror movie. 
all of my co-workers loved the movie.
View Quote
More like The Sands of Iwo Jima, but your point is well taken.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was one of the best.  The rebel troops on the ground at the end reminded me of a vietnam war movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought it was one of the best.  The rebel troops on the ground at the end reminded me of a vietnam war movie.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/57/44/65/5744654894affcef05daf6348740291e.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Am I alone in this?
View Quote

No. All of the characters are forgettable and some mumble when they talk like the "lead" guy you first see. It's like watching a movie about a bunch of background characters. Half way through the movie I realized I didn't know any of the character's names and I still don't remember them. The only good part was the Vader scenes. They should of made a Vader movie so you can see him doing awesome Vader stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I sat through Rogue 1 from beginning to end.... The we both said it was the worst movie we had see all year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I enjoyed R1, was well done, Thought they did a great job with Tarkin, but a shitty job with Leia. The Vader scene was fucking awesome, though JEJ voice was really weird.

TFA was enjoyable the third time I watched it, but it isn't a good movie, just a SJW ripoff of the original. The Last Jedi will most likely suck as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rogue One has the tried and true Star Wars/Disney formula and character development.   If you went in expecting something else I don't know what to tell you.
View Quote
I expect a good movie when I watch a movie. If it's not, I don't give it a pass because it has an AT/AT in it, and oh yeah, there's that "I don't like you either guy!"

It had potential to be MORE than the boilerplate SW/Disney pander-fest. And, that would have made it something really good.

But, again, it was missed potential.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All I got out of it was there's that damn death star again.

Is there any other plot  in that galaxy?
View Quote
Yes, I'm glad we haven't made a million movies and documentaries about D day
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope, I couldn't make it through it either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I expect a good movie when I watch a movie. If it's not, I don't give it a pass because it has an AT/AT in it, and oh yeah, there's that "I don't like you either guy!"

It had potential to be MORE than the boilerplate SW/Disney pander-fest. And, that would have made it something really good.

But, again, it was missed potential.
View Quote
I do agree and it was definitely a grab at fan nostalgia.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
whoops double tap
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree the Rogue One could have been better, but I still liked it. I thought Force Awakens was pretty fucking fantastic actually. I wanted to stand up and cheer near the end when she beats his ass in the woods. When she discovered her powers over him in the interrogation chair I had chills...I think I'm in love with her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#19]
It was an utterly pointless film that had no drama and you knew the ending.  It was stupid.

Star Wars is three movies released in 1977, 1980, and 1983. That's it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
None of that contradicts Ep4. We have no idea how much time is between the end of RO and ANH, could be minutes or months. ANH to TESB was 3 years and Han was still hanging around a Rebel base that the Empire hasn't found yet.. Time seems to move slowly for them. Death Star in RO was only using partial power, Alderaan was still the first full shot into a planet.

My biggest problem with the Disney movies are how close they were to epic, and we have to settle for decent. There's some good examples online of a few small tweaks that would have vastly improved both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's because the movie was taken apart and put back together. Disney didn't like how "dark" and "war like" the original was and changed a lot of the ending.

Hell, as it stands now the ending of Rogue One clashes directly with A New Hope. Vader would have had no fear of holding Leia hostage, if he had personally witnessed her ship flying away from battle.

To boot, they mentioned "several transmissions were beamed to this ship" not "I killed a bunch of people and watched the plans physically handed off from one guy to the next, and I decided I couldn't be bothered to use my force powers to stop him from running, because I was having too much fun slashing others".

The movie is mediocre at best, doesn't blend well with the original source material (Episode 4), entire first half lacks much of any genuine story development/character development and jumps from planet to planet needlessly. Hell, they even use the death star laser, when per episode 4 the first time the laser is used is on Alderan.
None of that contradicts Ep4. We have no idea how much time is between the end of RO and ANH, could be minutes or months. ANH to TESB was 3 years and Han was still hanging around a Rebel base that the Empire hasn't found yet.. Time seems to move slowly for them. Death Star in RO was only using partial power, Alderaan was still the first full shot into a planet.

My biggest problem with the Disney movies are how close they were to epic, and we have to settle for decent. There's some good examples online of a few small tweaks that would have vastly improved both.
Except it does directly contradict with how Episode 4 starts. Vader flat out states transmissions were beamed to the ship, not handed off to it. It was speculation that she was a traitor, hence holding her being dangerous (Per the words of the Imperial officer).

The original ending of Rogue One was supposed to actually have them transmit/beam the plans off their vessel, just before it blows up. This would have made it actually work and blend perfectly with Episode 4, in the sense of changing hands.

Sorry man but they flat out failed at reading/looking at their source material and blending it. They retconned, as so many horrible stories/writers resort to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#21]
The best Star War's movie is from either the 1970's or 1980's, its not Rouge One, and anyone who say's otherwise doesnt know what there talking about.

And just in case anyone missed it, I am including a couple more mistake's and apostrophe's because thats the state of written communication these day's.

Just think of how bad it will be in another ten year's of texting and public school education.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I agree the Rogue One could have been better, but I still liked it. I thought Force Awakens was pretty fucking fantastic actually. I wanted to stand up and cheer near the end when she beats his ass in the woods. When she discovered her powers over him in the interrogation chair I had chills...I think I'm in love with her.
View Quote
Rey is so much hotter than "Gyn".
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife and I sat through Rogue 1 from beginning to end.... The we both said it was the worst movie we had see all year.
View Quote
It is really strange.  People either love it or hate it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Am I alone in this?
View Quote

nope..i fell asleep
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
It's been 34 years since the last Star Wars film.  Move on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Am I alone in this?
View Quote

Yes!  The franchise went south after the original three.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Overall, just ok.  
Better than the pre-quels (with the exception of the Darth Maul fight) but that bar is set pretty low.
CGI Tarkin and Leila were creepy.
Picks up toward the end, but no desire to re-watch.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
To each his own, but "no."
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to agree. I think Ridley is the better actress and seems like she'd be more lively () but Felicity is much cuter. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I started at the part where Jyn escapes custody and got through the movie.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Trump: Wrong.

Rey should have have been a bystander in the last fight fin should have fought teen angst Vader and been whipping his ass as he was a badass storm trooper then gayder was like oh yeah this bolt to the side threw me off and i forgot im a space wizard and he could have force choked fin out, rey could have used her new powers to save fin then the planet breaks apart like normal. she goes to find luke while fin has sex with poe.

much better ending and still has all the required SJW angles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#33]
you guys and that stupid SJW crap. get over it. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you guys and that stupid SJW crap. get over it. 
View Quote
I think someone's midichlorian count is a little low.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You obviously didn't see Batman vs superman or suicide squad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was ok.

The characters in it were all one dimensional. I think at the end I remembered two of their names. The rest were "that guy", Donnie Yen and Donnie Yens buddy.
View Quote
Agree with this. The movie was eye candy at best, but to be fair I had been hoping for more after the reboot occurred with Disney. Stupid me.

I also thought Moanna and Finding Dory were other weak Disney movies but it might not be Disney, I might just be getting old.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep, tried watching it twice. Fell asleep within 20 minutes both times.
The wife seemed to like it but shes a nerd. A hot nerd, but still a nerd.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It had potential, but it wasn't very good. Too much time spent throwing bones to the fanboys not enough with a compelling story, character development, diversity-poster nonsense.
I thought so too... there was enough development with the two leading rebels and one imperial... they can't go deep into every character.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You obviously didn't see Batman vs superman or suicide squad.
View Quote
I didn't watch those.

Kinda seemed ripe for disappointment from the stsrt. I'm not  abig comic book fan or comic book movie fan either. Though I liked the first couple "new" Batman movies with bale.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top