User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "OATH" taken as a [b]LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER[/b] is to uphold the [b]"LAW"[/b]. I took an [b]"OATH"[/b] to uphold the [b]"CONSTITUTION"[/b] when I enlisted in the Corp.
View Quote

My oath as a [b]LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER[/b] was to protect and defend the Constitution.

This does seem like C/S, though I can understand that the officers had to respond to the call.

When I was on the streets (and I'm heading back to the streets soon), I made it a point to stop at every single Lemonade or similar stand that kids were running, and I always handed out cards and stickers and bought some of whatever beverage they were selling. I drank some really bad lemonade and iced tea, too, but I did it with a smile, becuase that's what people are paying their tax money for. As a soon-to-be street supervisor, I think I would have this call re-assigned to me. My first stop would be to buy a glass of lemonade, which I would cheerfully drink (or choke down, as the case may be). That would be immediately followed by a trip to the complainant's house and an explanation of the fact that I will not and can not enforce this particular law, because 6-year olds are not criminally responsible in our fine state (although we do have a similar local ordinance about permits), and the kids are not engaged in mentally unstable conduct, so I have no legal right to act against them. I might have a few other diplomatic statements to make to the complainant as well.

There will always be old cranky folks who make BS calls for service. Dealing with them properly is an art.
View Quote

Common Sense.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Bottom line, Here's a fine example of:

Too much Barney,

Not enough Andy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Aside from the Nazi's , Nuremburg, JBT's , 'spirited discussion', formal complaints, legislators getting their money,and the constitution:

Whatever happened to officer discretion??
If it were me, It would have gone something like, "That little six-year old girl is operating a lemonade stand without a business permit."

"Yup she is.Glad we could clarify things a bit for you.Have a nice day."

IMHO ,doing our jobs involves some REALLY $hitty things sometimes,that's why if someone wants action for letting a small child give hot passers-by a glass of lemonade for a small fee,I call my supervisor.He can either be the @$$hole(which I doubt he will in a case like this),or give the complainant a good verbal thrashing for wasting our time.

6 years old?? Lemonade stand?? Shut it down?? PUH-LEEZE!!! We have better things to do.Things like this tend to sour the public's perception of us.As if most of ya'll generally don't care for us anyways due to bad experiences from us or whatever.Doing the job is one thing,enforcing the criminal code is too,but can it REALLY be a criminal violation for a 6 year old to operate a lemonade stand without a permit?Let the old wench take the family to civil court if she feels THAT strongly.I seriously doubt he/she will.Go back inside and watch Oprah fer crying out loud.
BTW, isn't a six year old just a WEE bit underage for culpability?
Glad I live where I live and not where they do...
I've already got a forcast for the next complaint:
911 ,what's your emergency?

Oh my GOD!!THE HORROR!! THE AGONY!!

Calm down sir/ma'am, what's the problem?

Someone just drove by and flicked a cigarette butt on the road.

To the complainant,if you see this or someone were to e-mail you,or whatever.

GET A LIFE!Just because you are miserable doesn't mean everyone else has to be ,too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to officer discretion??
View Quote

Typically only applied when the officer is the informant.

If it's an assigned call, with a complaintant or victim, alot of the discretion goes away.

simply, If I see you doing something illegal, i can ignore you, warn you, or arrest you. But if someone else tells me you are doing something illegal, and they want to sign an order of arrest, my options have been narrowed down to one, arrest you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand what would possess somebody to call the police on a 6 year old for selling lemonade.  Law or no law, that's utterly absurd.  You've got to be one sorry ass low life sonofabitch with inferiority complexes from the depths of Hell to pull a bullshit stunt like that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand what would possess somebody to call the police on a 6 year old for selling lemonade.  Law or no law, that's utterly absurd.  You've got to be one sorry ass low life sonofabitch with inferiority complexes from the depths of Hell to pull a bullshit stunt like that.
View Quote

TRUE!

But I am surprised at the amount of posters who tried to justify this from the "authority" position.

My Grandfather (The absolute King of Common Sense) would have gone around slapping heads and telling them "What the Hell's the matter with you all! Leave the girl alone! And tell the nosey neighbor that if they call the Police again without a good reason I'll come and slap them too!"

Seems that common sense isn't that common anymore.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top