Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Pulled up to the stoplight the other day, and saw something shiny laying in the intersection. So when
the light turned green, (and luckily no traffic behind me, somehow) I popped the door and scooped
it up as I drove past.

A really nice air-wrench (can't remember namebrand offhand, but a biggie) with only a few scratches
on it. I know it's not a cheapie, and somebody out there is pissed that they don't know where their
wrench got to.

Now all I need is a system to run it with!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Tie straps, chain binders, and a jackhammer attachment for a bobcat.  I did give that last one back as I saw it fall off the trailer, caught up with them a few miles down the road.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I will save turtles trying to cross roads.

+1 You're a good man.  I relocate them from their natural habitat in the middle of the road to my wooded property as well

I use a company truck too.  I will pick up damn near anything of value. Up here near Saginaw Bay USA I find plenty of boating related stuff.  Fishing rods, tackle boxes, Life jackets galore, coolers, down riggers.  This past spring as a joke I listed one of those fancy aluminum salmon rod holders on ebay that I'd rescued from the white line....it attracked 9 different bidders & brought $28

Lawn mowers, chainsaw, all sorts of tools, lumber, rolls of insulation, bricks.  ATV seats, snowmobile cowels, tail light lenses.

HUBCAPS!!!! Those wind up on ebay too.....easy money.

Only once have I found money.  One of those zippered bank bags.  It had the day's receipts from a car wash.  There was about $300 in cash & checks as I recall.  I drove to the bank who's name was printed on it and handed it over.  

Still waiting for that great day when I find the mythical "gun in the street"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I drive and travel a LOT--so yes, I find good stuff from time to time.  Most recently--a tennis racket.  Just a stupid tennis racket, and I don't play tennis--but I was just THRILLED to get it.  We have a problem with carpenter bees at our cabin.  You can't poison them, shoot them, or otherwise discourage them.  A tennis racket works GREAT.  A while back I found a Snap-On ratchet--tiny little one the size of a normal 1/4" drive, but it was 3/8"--very cool, and ended up handy once.  Two weeks ago I found a large Snap-On pry bar that looked like an oversized screwdriver with a bend in it.  It was just outside the parking lot of a mechanic buddy, so I took it in to him.  Several years ago I found two ratcheting box wrenches in the same spot ($40 each!)  The Snap-On man loves him.  Two months ago I saw a large fifth-wheel camper and big duelly Dodge stopped along I-72 on my way to Missouri.  I stopped to offer assistance, as I always have tools and such with me.  It was an old man and his wife who work as contractors finishing the interiors of churches.  His receiver hitch carrier had broken, nearly losing his JOBOX tool box.  He had no way to carry it, and was on his way home to Mississippi.  He had jettisoned it in the weeds--and offered it to me, and offered to help load it.  I told him I was in no hurry and would take it back to whatever church he had worked at, or to my house and he could pick it up later.  He said he was done with the job and would not be coming back, so he insisted I take it.  Being a "good Samariton" paid off with a ~$1000 gang box.  I once picked up a nice chain with cast hooks on both ends.  Dozens of bungee cords to use on my ATV racks.  Every weekend I travel I-72 through some of the best deer country in the world--250 miles each way.  I have eaten a BUNCH of nice roadkilled deer, and collected antlers from a few.  Just last Saturday I cut a pair of spikes off of a dead buck, to be used in the cabin.  I once got a tiny little child's life jacket in perfect shape.  Last summer I got a full, perfect sheet of 3/4" plywood.  I can't imagine no one noticed losing it.  And flags.  I have stopped to pick up many, many of the little plastic flags the newly patriotic display in their windows, and don't have the good sense to remove at highway speeds.  

grandpa, is that you?

Seriously, my grandfather was a truck driver, and he has a truckload of random stuff he's picked up.

I've personally got tools, log chains, bungee cords, etc....nothing fancy, but I do look....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a nearly new lawn fertilizer spreader yesterday.  Looks like it was bought maybe a week or two ago and then went flying out of the back of a work truck.  

No addresses or anything on it.

Damn things are expensive!  Let's hear it for savings!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...Still waiting for that great day when I find the mythical "gun in the street"

This summer my next door neighbor called my cell when I was at lunch telling me he found a pistol in my bush between our yards.  I told him I would be right there.  I get there and it is a chrome German .22short revolver.  I have never seen a 22short only pistol.  He said he was just walking down the sidewalk with his nephew and his nephew wanted the "toy" in the bush.  He had already called the cops when I got there so he had to turn it over.  I think I would have called it in to check if it was stolen and if not kept it.  The cop assumed it was some kid who took it from his Dad's closet and the dad didn't even know if it was gone.  He also said it would be destroyed.  Kinda pissed me off but thats the way it goes.

Now on topic...when I used to ride mtb alot I would ride down country roads and find all kinds of stuff as well.  Usually if it was big and I couldn't carry it onthe bike I would come back in the truck.  My dad has found some good stuff as well...long chains, tools, bungies...  Last year he handed me a SOG multi-tool.  It had the file broke off but still was nice.  I sent it to SOG and they replaced the rivets(they were pretty loose) and the file and sent it back no charge!  Since pops gave me that I gave him my leatherman.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I once found a used vibrator on the side of the road.  Pulled over to take some photos of a railroad trestle and there it was, about 5' off the pavement.

And no, I didn't pick it up.

And how exactly did you figure out it was used? Don't they look the same as a new one?

Did you perform the old "scratch and sniff" on that one?

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remembered, last summer, found a great steel workbench complete with 6" vice.  The sucker must of weighed 300 lbs, and I had no help.  Broke my heart to leave it in the ditch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll pick up stuff by the side of the road.  Once when antelope hunting we saw this HUGE blanket on the side of the road,  Like Huge.

we pulled over to see what it was and it was one of those gigantic metalicized/rubber tarps truckers put over the trailer.  Did I mention this thing was huge?  We used it to cover an entire haystack to keep it dry.  He's still got that thing.  It must be worth hundreds of dollars at least.  I felt bad for the trucker that lost it but it had been laying there a while,  it had three day old snow on it.

I also found a bank bag once,  took it to the bank and dropped it off. I always wanted to see the face of the person as they frantically looked for it and called the bank out of desperation and the bank says "oh it's here, we got it"

That's about it.

If I ever find a GMan's MP5 or a gun, I am Soooo keeping that thing.  It will get the buried, shot  once a year and only by myself treatment until which time the SHTF and I can use it normally.

yeah, I'd not turn that baby in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Craftsman tools and CPS (City Public Service) work gloves. Since I'm a cyclist I get a larger share than the rest of you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I took an old picture-frame out of my neighbors garbage last week - does that count?  

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I wiped out on my road bike (bicycle) a few years ago for no apparent reason.  I got up to find out that my front tire washed out on a Snap-On 3/8" drive ratchet with a 1/2" socket still attached!

I had bad road rash on my shoulder, knee and butt and had a sore neck from landing on my head.  When I collected my thoughts, looked over and saw the unmistakable profile of that chrome beauty, the first thing I uttered to my rattled and ratted self was....SCORE!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I heard about someone finding a plain black trashbag on the side of the road with a cool million or so in it.  Most likely a lame urban legend though.

There's a movie starring John Cusack that is based on a true story about a guy finding a large bag that fell out of an armored truck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#19]
you do not want to know, I inherited it and I just can't stop.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh yeah.

Lets see....three power drills, a lawnmower engine (was in pretty bad shape, but I sold it for $20 in the local paper), numerous screwdrivers and sockets...about four dozen skeery signs

Also, I've probably picked up a couple hundred dollars worth of change over the last few years when I'm out walking or jogging.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll be damned.  

[Homer] WooooHooooo [/Homer]

20 minutes ago I picked up a Draw Tight trailer hitch with a 2" ball.  I was planning on buying an extra one this weekend so I wouldn't have to change from 1 7/8" to 2".

Do I get bonus points for picking it up at the bridge that crosses the Rifle River?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard about someone finding a plain black trashbag on the side of the road with a cool million or so in it.  Most likely a lame urban legend though.

There's a movie starring John Cusack that is based on a true story about a guy finding a large bag that fell out of an armored truck.

A few years back a Brinks truck had the rear doors fly open and a bucnh of cash fell out, some loose and some in bags. It does happen but remember it aint free money.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Found a set of craftsman hand tools still in their case in the middle of the road.  Also found a like new gas operated leaf blower on the shoulder of I-75.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I once found a used vibrator on the side of the road.  Pulled over to take some photos of a railroad trestle and there it was, about 5' off the pavement.

And how exactly did you figure out it was used? Don't they look the same as a new one?

Just kidding.

It wasn't exactly in pristine (or clean) condition.

I've got a photo, but I won't post it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just kidding.

It wasn't exactly in pristine (or clean) condition.

I've got a photo, but I won't post it.

I'll take your word on that one.

Thanks for NOT posting those pics.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I found one of these on a trashcan on the side of the road->

Circa  ~ 1917 -1924.

Added it to my collection… now a total of 2

-LS
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

typewriter.rydia.net/woodstockelec.JPG

Circa  ~ 1917 -1924.

-LS

Dude!

Dan Rather has been looking for that so he can type another "authentic" memo!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I ran over John Wayne Bobbit's pecker!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I found an 8 foot fiberglass step ladder - it layed in the ditch all day, so I picked it up and took it home that evening.

Someone got an extremely nice wooden Navy radio box full of tools, safety wire, gasket sealant and so on that I drove away from one night after I chocked my car to change a tire.  I went back the next morning before daylight but it was already gone.  There was an awful nice tach/dwell meter in there, so if one of you guys have it, I want it back!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Circa  ~ 1917 -1924.

-LS

Dude!

Dan Rather has been looking for that so he can type another "authentic" memo!

You think that's funny?
Do a google search on "Woodstock typewriter " as I did when I found the thing. Then look for an additional keyword that came up allot... "Hiss"

Freaked me the hell OUT!

-LS
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:29:31 AM EDT
[#33]
There is alot of construction in my (new) neighborhood.  Coming down my street, with nothing but unsold lots for 300 yards in both directions, both sides of the road, there lies a 24' Werner orange fiberglass extension ladder.  It's not gonna be there too much longer in any case, and it just might wind up in my garage.

Edited to show 24', not 24" ladder!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There is alot of construction in my (new) neighborhood.  Coming down my street, with nothing but unsold lots for 300 yards in both directions, both sides of the road, there lies a 24" Werner orange fiberglass extension ladder.  It's not gonna be there too much longer in any case, and it just might wind up in my garage.

Would have already been in mine it was just laying out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I've "recovered" alot of good stuff over the years, but the best "almost" is worth telling.

Working in Copperas Cove Texas (right next to Fort Hood) as a firefighter. In the early mornings we would head to the fuel point to fill up the ambulance for the day. About half way there one of my cop buddies stops right in the middle of the intersection, jumps out grabs something and drives off. Low and behold we meet up at the fuel pumps and start BSing. His stop comes up and he says take a look. Sitting in the back seat is a military full auto M16. Apparently it had fallen out the back of a National Guard vehicle that morning about 5 minutes before we found it. Lucky for the Guard guy he had his info in the pistol grip and the cop found it first. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that az chewing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've "recovered" alot of good stuff over the years, but the best "almost" is worth telling.

Working in Copperas Cove Texas (right next to Fort Hood) as a firefighter. In the early mornings we would head to the fuel point to fill up the ambulance for the day. About half way there one of my cop buddies stops right in the middle of the intersection, jumps out grabs something and drives off. Low and behold we meet up at the fuel pumps and start BSing. His stop comes up and he says take a look. Sitting in the back seat is a military full auto M16. Apparently it had fallen out the back of a National Guard vehicle that morning about 5 minutes before we found it. Lucky for the Guard guy he had his info in the pistol grip and the cop found it first. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that az chewing.

In a similar vein to this story, a Florida National Guard soldier working at Jacksonville International Airport immediately following 9/11 left his M16A2 leaning up against the wall in a crowded concourse and walked off to the restroom.  An airport janitor found it, and gave it to the first soldier he could find.

Naturally this poor kid got the ass chewing of his life, and was kicked off of the detail.  From what I heard, he was a good kid, but had a lot of serious problems at the time (army hadn't paid him in several pay periods, car was being repossessed, etc) and his head wasn't where it should have been.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I found a wallet last year (returned to owner).  

I find tons of stuff in the desert adjacent to my house.  Spoke rims, different types of discarded yard gravel, a box of saline solution, spoke rims, stolen cars, ceiling fans, bricks (great targets) etc.   I've gotten in the habit of taking pics and the VIN if it's a vehicle.  I fully expect to find a body, as this is one area where they are dumped.

I found this nice couch!

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Back before 9/11 we could go off-roading on Fort Hood. "Dumping" excess inventory to remove it from the property was fairly common. One day we found a pile (as in atleast 100) of completely new powersteering pumps for chevy trucks, still with the factory seals on the fittings. A little later in that same trip a completely new, still in the protective wrap, complete helicopter door. I miss the open range at Fort Hood.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is alot of construction in my (new) neighborhood.  Coming down my street, with nothing but unsold lots for 300 yards in both directions, both sides of the road, there lies a 24" Werner orange fiberglass extension ladder.  It's not gonna be there too much longer in any case, and it just might wind up in my garage.

Would have already been in mine it was just laying out.

Gone today.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They told the couple that a man in Hereford had their cleaner and they could go get it.  She came by my office and my wife and secretary gave her the cleaner.  She was so happy.

HEREFORD?!1

Happiness is Hereford in my rearview mirror.   j/k  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Best thing I ever found on the side of the road:

Rush Anthology 2 CD set, in good shape.

Most useful thing I ever found:

3/8 inch socket wrench driver -- virtually indestructible that one!

Most useless item found:

An old broken Cello.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#42]
In college I was in a group that did Highway cleanup in the hill country near San Antonio.  We found some nice stuff.  Partial list:

1. lots of roadkill
2. lottery tickets, some unused
3. lots of pron!! especially Club International, don't know why.
4. full cans of gun powder--made for a nice roadside display.
5. the best was a polaroid of a naked girl from the waist down with an eight ball stuck right between her meat curtains. yes, actually stuck in her. must've been a sportin' lady...

The polaroid stayed on the refrigerator for months, along with some of the choice CI fold outs.

bd
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Found a 1911 in the road years ago. Me and a coworker (worked for the state highway department) came upon it. We picked it up and drove up the road. There was a group of bikers at the top of the pass that were headed to Sturgis (not too far away from there). One guy had wrecked his bike. My coworder asked him if the .45 was his and he said yes. He was there with a group of guys and his girlfriend. The coworker handed him the gun and as we drove off, the chick looked kind of nervous. We both kind of regretted giving him the pistol. I would have voted to drive by and not say anything about it, but it was obvious the biker had lost it. Sure felt uneasy about the whole thing though after seeing the girl looking so nervous.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw a videocassette on the HWY ramp by my office.  I thought the next time I go that way, I'm gonna grab it...it has to be porn....what other kind of video is going to be on the side of the road?  So, I take a coworker on an errand, she doesn't know that she's my "runner".  I tell her to run out and grab it...and sure enough, it's called "Intimate Relations"...."JACKPOT!" I thought.  Well, I get back to the office and do a little research on the internet about it.....and, unfortunately.....it's GAY porn...........I sure hope nobody saw me stop and get that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I see lots of stuff, but as I whiz by at 75mph+ and I've likely been trying to get past idots that drive the speed lmit in the fast lane, I never stop to pick things up.

Hard hats seem to be a sure-fire thing to get lost here in AZ-I see TONS of them. Bungee cords are not worth stopping for, IMO. They're cheap enough already, but I do see lots of them.

A guy I used to work with stopped and picked up a PERFECTLY GOOD Duraliner that fit his S10 bed perfectly. Now-come on-just how in the fuck do you drive down the highway and NOT NOTICE the bedliner fly out of your truck? Shit, a leaf catches my eye if it blows out of the bed of my truck.

My best score was found on a street by my house. Coleman propane lantern and stove. Gave 'em both to one of my hunting buddies that swears by propane. I use white gas appliances-better heat and you always have a can of "Instant Campfire" with you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top