Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold mine this spring not because I didn't enjoy the shit out of it but more so because I feared it was only a matter of time before someone took me out in their car or I hit a deer or some other 4 legged creature..  They are fun as hell but I just thought it was in my best interest to limit the ways I can get myself killed or in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll say up front there are some really beautiful bikes but I'll never own or ride one.

Working as an FF/EMT, I've seen too many wrecks. Some were other drivers (auto's) fault, some were bikers trying to ride bikes which exceeded their capability/experience or training and some, well they were just accidents.

First call yesterday, a 77 year old gentleman who had been riding for 30 years caught the "rumble strip," (so says the riders behind him) lost control hit a street sigh, stop sign then traveled about 40 feet airborne (still holding onto the bike per witness) only to center a 18" oak tree. Almost nothing about him or the bike was where it should have been. I don't like picking people up in pieces and having to hose down the scene to dilute human remains, fuel and oil!
View Quote
I'm in law enforcement. Have been for almost 20 years now. I've seen a lot of accident scenes. I've worked a lot more fatal and non fatal 4 wheel accidents than 2 wheel accidents. I'd imagine you have also. I'll agree the motorcycle accidents might be more gruesome/harder to deal with, but so are airplane crashes. And flying is safer than driving on the ground. It's all relative. I'll never give up the joy of riding a bike just because some people crash. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a pair of bikes, we'll see how it goes.  One for around town/highway/commuting, and one for exploring.  As much as I like my Honda, I'm already eyeing something like the BMW F700GS; it's only 30lbs heavier than mine but has a fair amount more power (almost twice?) and all the BMW gadgets.  I also kinda like the Honda CTX700, or who knows, maybe still a Ducati. But I'll probably get a 250 or 400 dual sport/trail bike to go exploring on, or maybe even just a used KLR650.  Probably prefer something a little smaller though.  I did like the weight and feel of the Husky 501 a place tried to sell me, though it was really tall and pricey.

Anyway, not going to do anything now but ride my Honda and get to be a better rider.  I plan on taking the advanced riding course the school offers once I get more miles under my belt.  I installed the new windshield and crash bars, have a center stand and gear indicator on it that will go in this week.  The gear indicator is probably a pansy thing to get, but mostly I want it for downshifting.  It crunches pretty hard going back into first when coasting to a stop if I'm going too fast, so I want to start avoiding that.  I usually don't hunt for 7th, but get lost on the downshifts.  I didn't get to go riding this weekend, but I'll probably work on the bike tomorrow and go on Tuesday since the weather has been a little cold and wet and it should be back.

The rear tire has a tiny staple in it, but I've been checking the air before each ride and it has been fine.  I should probably still fix/replace it.  I'm not sure why it was so low the other day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you must ride and don't want to be maimed or killed, heed all the advice from experienced riders on here.

One thing I'd add is that it's impossible to overstate how badly left turning drivers want to turn into your path and attempt to kill you.  You simply can't just tool along at the speed limit and expect them to yield as the law allows.  My plan was to slow down, make eye contact and have an absolute plan OR be at a speed where I felt the consequences are manageable.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top