BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow. Have they taken that much of a dive? Just last year everyone would say "Fo now!" on any flavor of Python in 3k range.
View Quote

Condition is everything.  Can't imagine the market having "been there" last year on any Python with the exception of MINT NIB examples.  At $3k, I'm out on ALL Pythons personally.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not unless it's some super duper special edition in the original box, unfired, fully documented. Even then, that's a big price.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
In the condition you report, it may be a good price...

But 2K+ for a revolver?  Sorry, but I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not unless it's some super duper special edition in the original box, unfired, fully documented. Even then, that's a big price.
View Quote

Can anyone post a link to one of these NIB Pythons for $2300?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I must have imagined all the hype until very recently, because they were easily in the 3k range last time I was paying attention.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't pay that for one myself but I'm not really in the market for a highly collectible revolver.

I like guns that I can use without worrying about maintaining value and condition.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't pay that for one myself but I'm not really in the market for a highly collectible revolver.

I like guns that I can use without worrying about maintaining value and condition.
View Quote

I will shoot this Python, but probably infrequently. I have many duplicate Smith and Wessons in my collection, and use the more "finish challenged" one to shoot and the others to look at and admire. If I want to shoot a bunch of barn burner .357s I will throw them in my GP100 or one of my 686s.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 6 in nickle brand new in the box (69 I think) and I think it might be worth around that.  But then again a lgs sold a HK P7 M13 and it was over 3k
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will shoot this Python, but probably infrequently. I have many duplicate Smith and Wessons in my collection, and use the more "finish challenged" one to shoot and the others to look at and admire. If I want to shoot a bunch of barn burner .357s I will throw them in my GP100 or one of my 686s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're nothing wrong with Smith's.  I enjoy shooting them but I've never fired a smith that can compete with a python. I'm not knocking smiths, the python is just that good. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 6 in nickle brand new in the box (69 I think) and I think it might be worth around that.  But then again a lgs sold a HK P7 M13 and it was over 3k
View Quote

Shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're nothing wrong with Smith's.  I enjoy shooting them but I've never fired a smith that can compete with a python. I'm not knocking smiths, the python is just that good. 
View Quote

Yea I am a self-proclaimed S&W addict. I just really love revolvers so I had to put a Python in the stable. Next I will get a Mateba and maybe a Korth
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea I am a self-proclaimed S&W addict. I just really love revolvers so I had to put a Python in the stable. Next I will get a Mateba and maybe a Korth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love revolvers. I like how they look, feel and shoot.

Every revolver lover needs a python. Glad you got one op. Waiting for a range report.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I must have imagined all the hype until very recently, because they were easily in the 3k range last time I was paying attention.
View Quote

Nib were there. Every other python wasn't. Still ain't paying it on either of them but glad some guys do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's hard to beat the finish on a Python   The Bluing on them is second to none. 
View Quote
Same as an S&W.

I wouldn't pay near that for one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want it, by all means go for it but I've never jumped on board that train.  They ARE very nice, but they aren't twice/triple-the-price-of-a-Smith nice.  
View Quote

I FO'ed already. I do agree that I would rather have 2 or 3 nice Smiths over a Python. I already have 3 dozen or so pre-lock smiths and wanted a few snakes for the collection so I think it was a justified purchase. I will make more $, but they won't be making anymore Pythons
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
$2300?

Wow!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$2300?

Wow!  
View Quote

Can anyone who has said the price was too high, direct me to a link with a cheaper one in the same condition (or similar condition). I know, I know...........They were only $30 when you were my age.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Same as an S&W.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to beat the finish on a Python   The Bluing on them is second to none. 
Same as an S&W.

awful lot of people trying to justify not having a Python. "my smith is just as good" 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

awful lot of people trying to justify not having a Python. "my smith is just as good" 
View Quote
I have a fine little Diamondback, identical to a Python in everything but size.  An S&W from the same time frame is just as good.

What exactly makes a Python or Diamondback better?  The finish on similar vintage Smiths is the same.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a fine little Diamondback, identical to a Python in everything but size.  An S&W from the same time frame is just as good.

What exactly makes a Python or Diamondback better?  The finish on similar vintage Smiths is the same.
View Quote

I have old smiths as well. They are not as nice of a gun as a Python. Sorry but it's the truth. 

Again, there's nothing wrong with Smiths but they are not the same as a Python. The action will never be as good and no I don't think the finish is as good on the smiths. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it full auto?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The price doesn't make the gun any better, it is just more scarce and harder to find. I always compare the Python to the S&W model 27. (I realize they are different frame sizes, but I fell that the Python is the pinnacle of Colt revolver making as the 27 is the pinnacle of S&W revolver making). I have been collecting revolvers for about a year and a half and have come across about 3 times as many model 27s as I have Pythons. This probably has more to do with the price difference than quality does as they are both fine revolvers IMHO
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is it full auto?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Depending on what it is, it's not too overly priced.  

Here are two on my local board for about that price - one of them is now SPF.  I would love to have the one with the ivory grips.

2 Snakes on INGO
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I FO'ed at $2250. It looks unfired with no turn ring at all. Glossy blue with perfect finish. The grips are in 95% with one small scratch near the backstrap. I must have more $ than sense I am happy with the purchase  
View Quote

In the end, this is really all that matters.  Enjoy

Very first gun I ever bought was a 6" Python with my first re-enlistment bonus in 1984.  Still have it today and love it.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here are two on my local board for about that price - one of them is now SPF.  I would love to have the one with the ivory grips.

2 Snakes on INGO
View Quote

Damn it. Now I want Ivory grips for mine  Off to look up real Ivory grips now... 

well damn, Grips.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

2 Snakes on INGO
View Quote

Thanks for posting. I feel those would be decent prices for Pythons in my area and I would most likely go look at them. I feel that the one I got was just as good of a deal as the finish and grips are pristine.

The last listing with the ivory grips brings up a question I have. I have a 4 inch nickel diamondback in 38 special that has some finish wear and some slight pitting from the original owner. I am deciding if I should send it to Colt or Fords (local to me) and have it refinished. I have about 1k into the diamondback and it would probably be $500 to have it completely refinished. Should I refinish it, or leave it original?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting. I feel those would be decent prices for Pythons in my area and I would most likely go look at them. I feel that the one I got was just as good of a deal as the finish and grips are pristine.

The last listing with the ivory grips brings up a question I have. I have a 4 inch nickel diamondback in 38 special that has some finish wear and some slight pitting from the original owner. I am deciding if I should send it to Colt or Fords (local to me) and have it refinished. I have about 1k into the diamondback and it would probably be $500 to have it completely refinished. Should I refinish it, or leave it original?
View Quote

I would leave original (unless Colt would do the refinish).  Still, I would leave original.  That's just me though.

I don't have pics, but I have a blue 6" with original grips that was made in '65.  Wish my collection would have focused more on these 10-15 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally I'd only refinish it if Colt would do the work themselves. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
no matter what you do to a smith it will never have as good of a trigger as a Python.
View Quote

Bullshit if you prefer the smith even stacking versus the increasing stage up and drop out feeling of the colt. I have a 1961 Python.  It's a good trigger but it's odd to me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would leave original (unless Colt would do the refinish).  Still, I would leave original.  That's just me though.

I don't have pics, but I have a blue 6" with original grips that was made in '65.  Wish my collection would have focused more on these 10-15 years ago.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. I will look for a cleaner DB and this one will keep the itch in check while I look around.

That is how I feel about the smiths in the current market I think they are undervalued and gobble up everyone I can find
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Personally I'd only refinish it if Colt would do the work themselves. 
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. This seems to be the consensus from most
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep I would only send it to Colt.  FYI their spare parts bins are thinning out.    They don't make more at this time and say they won't.   When they're gone they're gone and so is their support
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#36]
My pops had the 6" and the 4" and wants a .22lr to fill out his collection, but hasn't had much luck finding one that jives with his price range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They are fine pistols, but that sounds like a lot of money to me.

Colt Python
View Quote

Nice write up, and I had no idea it started as a target pistol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a 1974 6" blue Python with 18 rounds through it that I never shoot because it's like a work of art. I've considered selling it if I could get $2500 or more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife bought me a 6" nickle python in 1978 for $425.00.  I also had a 8" blue colt python with a factory mounted burris scope.It was called a Ten Pointer. Last I heard it was up to $5600.00'
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well? It looks super clean. Bout 2 hours total drive time? 4 inch blue with original grips 
View Quote
It's your money.
Don't they make 357 magnum revolvers for under $1,000?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What good is a trigger if you never fire the gun for any extended number of rounds.

I sold mine to my 60 year old dad. Pythons are for collecting. S&W are for shooting and more shooting.

Also an old well used model 27 is no slouch in the trigger.
View Quote

does anyone here start threads contemplating buying 2k smith & wesson (common models made for a span of more then 30 years) revolvers? there must be something to that trigger.

i prefer the model 28 if i drop it "meh, just knock the dirt off it".  

if it is the one pictured above with all paper work and box, and the gun was 95% or more i would pay 2k for it. 95+ condition with every thing it came with from the factory are always going to be in demand.

just a few years back one didn't have to look hard to find a "shooter" $800. those shooters are now $1200
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 Snakes on INGO

i have always heard "fords" did refinishing for colt i have no way of proving or disproving either way but i have personally seen some of their work and it was outstanding.

leave it original unless doing so would hurt it worse. if you just have to redo it do it big, bone or ivory grips and a custom leather rig for the western themed back yard bbq.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#44]
There's not a revolver I'd give $230 for, let alone $2,300

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
$2300 for a revolver.
View Quote
Old_Painless let me shoot his. I fell in love. 

I'm still --> this <-- close to pulling the trigger (as it were) on a purchase. I. Love. Colt. Pythons. 

I can't imagine just looking at one, no matter how nice it was (and his is VERY nice). Would I carry it? No. Would I bring it to a class and shoot the piss out of it? No. But I'd definitely run a few dozen rounds through one on a range trip, without blinking an eye. They're made to be fired. I don't like the idea of distinguishing between a "shooter" and a display piece. I want to own a display piece...and shoot it. 

They're only going to get more expensive. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope I am doing this right....It's my first time

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/dcarellirealtor/media/20161214_085653_zpsl9hipyoi.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah172/dcarellirealtor/20161214_085653_zpsl9hipyoi.jpg

Bravo, OP! That's a beaut! I think 4" bbls are my favorite for revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You can have all the Smiths you want. They'll never be a Python. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Python market kills me.

I'm not paying $2K+ for a revolver just because.

When I can spend half that and get a mint S&W.

That's why my safe is full of beautiful Smith revolvers.
You can have all the Smiths you want. They'll never be a Python. 

Thank God, I won't have to worry about their timing or anything.......
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I have to say after looking at the Python last night the bluing is nicer than any Smith and Wesson I have. I have many beautiful blued examples from the 40's through the 80's in pristine condition. I do like the triggers on the Smiths more, but I have not shot the Python yet. I also may be unfamiliar with the way the Python stacks and may get used to it. My favorite .357 is still a model 27, but will probably buy more Pythons and try to eventually collect all of the snakes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Nice - congratulations!!!!!!!  

Sometimes you have to strike while the iron's hot.

Here's a couple of my Colts:

1851 Navy made in 1858 - all numbers matching .................

SAA/Peacemaker made in 1904 ..............

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I still kick my self for not buying that NIB Elite I saw in a CT gunshop in 2004 or 2005
I still remember the guy saying we have a lot of buying power being one of the biggest shops in the state and still was only able to get our hands on one.

If I remember right the price was $1600 or $1700
I called up a couple of days later and the thing was gone.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top