User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's that way in MS, I hate that law.
If your SO/family calls the cops on you, they confiscate all weapons, doesn't really have to be proven, he/she said and gone.
I know of a neighbor calling on a father and 17yo son arguing in their backyard, they rolled up arrested both and took over a dozen of their guns. It took him 3k and over a year to get them back.

Didn't know that. I came >this< close to calling the cops on our former neighbors once, over a late-night screaming match. Kinda glad I didn't call now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
First post and all. Guilty until proven innocent??????
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I read through the PDF.
I'm not a lawyer. I don't understand all of it, and there is one portion of the bill that leaves me in the dark. That portion says;

SECTION 9. Effective date. (1) Except as otherwise provided
21 in this section, this act takes effect upon passage.
22 (2) (a) Sections 2, 3, and 4 of this act take effect only if House
23 Bill 13-1229 does not become law.

24 (b) Sections 6, 7, and 8 of this act take effect only if House Bill
25 13-1229 becomes law.

I don't know what Bill 13-1229 is, so I don't know the full impact of the change from current law.
As for the rest of it, it seems to be another registration scheme, sort of.

It requires a person to relinquish all firearms AND ammunition within 24hrs, or 48hrs, or 72hrs to either the police, a firearm dealer, or a private party through an FFL holder.

So, no private transfers. You would have to pay a transfer fee on each firearm, unless you turn them over to the police. It also says the police may charge you a fee to store the firearms and ammuntion.

Then, when the protection order is lifted, you pay transfer fees again.

That could possibly be quite expensive.

Iowa has had a similar law on the books for a long time, but private transfers are still legal.
In Iowa, if you have a restraining order placed against you, you hand your firearms over to a friend, and they hold them until you can legally possess them again. There is no need to provide a list of what you own to the courts.

Colorado is trying to account for every firearm you own, and make it expensive to follow the law.

I may be wrong, but that is how it seems to me. There is so much gobbledygook in there I can't say for sure exactly what it means.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And people wonder why I don't want to get married, ever.  

Just dating will get you under DV laws in most states.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
PA is already worse.  We have "PFAs"- Protection From Abuse Act orders.  You can waltz into a court house and say you were threatened by your spouse/SO and then they head out and confiscate your weapons.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top