Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
lawdog, who the fuck cares what your GPA was in college. It MIGHT be relevant going for your first job fresh out of college but in 5-10 years no one cares. When you go to a Doctor's office do you ask what his GPA was in Med School? What are you going to do with a degree in CJ anyway? I can see it now....lawdog chasing a perp down the road yelling - "Stop in the name of the law! I had a 3.85 GPA in college"

This has my vote for the most self-serving post of the month.

FlGreg,  You forgot to capitalize the "l" in "Lawdog".  Also, is that a fragmented sentence I see?

So did you .... look at your name to the left of everything you post on here.  As for my proper usage of written Engrish or lack thereof - they didn't teach that at RJSB, Long Beach.

Your GPA doesn't reflect the fact that you should have expected a fair amount of abuse here when you post such self-serving stuff then add:  "If you didn't graduate at least 'Cum Laude' don't bother responding".

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this academic circle-jerk still ongoing?

Are you still advertising your undergraduate work?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Didn't you say the guy's John Hopkin's degree sucked?  holy shit!  What are you thinking??  Most of us here could not even be a janitor at John Hopkin's!!!

The Johns Hopkins University.   Now get your plunger and get back to work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
lawdog, who the fuck cares what your GPA was in college. It MIGHT be relevant going for your first job fresh out of college but in 5-10 years no one cares. When you go to a Doctor's office do you ask what his GPA was in Med School? What are you going to do with a degree in CJ anyway? I can see it now....lawdog chasing a perp down the road yelling - "Stop in the name of the law! I had a 3.85 GPA in college"

This has my vote for the most self-serving post of the month.

FlGreg,  You forgot to capitalize the "l" in "Lawdog".  Also, is that a fragmented sentence I see?

And you forgot to capitalize it when you registered it as your username.  Good for you for working hard in school and getting good grades.  You deserve a cookie.  But I think you'll find that soon after graduation, nobody will care what your grades were.  For your first job, they might care a little because it's pretty much all they have to go on.  But once you get into the "real world" nobody gives a hoot about your GPA or whether you graduated with "honors".  GPA and honors are meaningless.  You went to college to get a piece of paper to get you in the door of your chosen career.  Once you're in the door, the real education begins.  Nobody cares what your GPA was if you're not getting the job done.  Nobody cares that you graduated with honors if you can't get along with your associates.  Your success or failure in the real world has nothing to do with your college GPA or graduation honors and everything to do with how you conduct yourself AFTER you leave the halls of academia.  Get over yourself.  So, the college/university you attended told you you were special.  Don't believe everything they say.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]
3.54 in genetics.  Where I went to school, GPA didn't get you an Honors degree.  Anything above 3.5 and you graduated with "distinction".  To graduate with honors, you had to be in the university Honors Program.  I graduated with both, BTW.

CO
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
To those that this retort does not apply, my sincere appology.  As for the "wannabees" who feel slighted because they were not to be included in the original thread... boo hoo hoo.

In performing research for medicine, political science, etc. they have what is called a "control group".  I'm not going into the details of performing a null hypothesis, etc. (if you are interested, go to college and take statistics) but... back to the subject... when a researcher wants data... say... how many apples in a basket are Granny Smith apples... you do not go out and seek oranges, bananas, and water melons.

Some of the posters on this thread want to lament and throw accusations that... boo hoo hoo... they are being made to feel "slighted or inadequate" when, in actuality, they weren't even part of the data.  I wanted data (although it will be biased of course because there are... believe it or not... liars on the interweb) on successful college matriculation.  I did not want data on dumb ass drop outs... frat boys with a 1.3 GPA, etc.... I wanted info on college success stories.

If you can't be an apple (we are back to what is called an "analogy") then tough s*$#6it... deal with it... If you didn't go to college or score high scholastically... tough crap.  I wanted info on people who were very successful and are "different" than you... if you feel slighted because you were a drop out or dumb ass... want some cheese with your "whine".

Lawdog (Outstanding academically and proud of it)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To those that this retort does not apply, my sincere appology.  As for the "wannabees" who feel slighted because they were not to be included in the original thread... boo hoo hoo.

In performing research for medicine, political science, etc. they have what is called a "control group".  I'm not going into the details of performing a null hypothesis, etc. (if you are interested, go to college and take statistics) but... back to the subject... when a researcher wants data... say... how many apples in a basket are Granny Smith apples... you do not go out and seek oranges, bananas, and water melons.

Some of the posters on this thread want to lament and throw accusations that... boo hoo hoo... they are being made to feel "slighted or inadequate" when, in actuality, they weren't even part of the data.  I wanted data (although it will be biased of course because there are... believe it or not... liars on the interweb) on successful college matriculation.  I did not want data on dumb ass drop outs... frat boys with a 1.3 GPA, etc.... I wanted info on college success stories.

If you can't be an apple (we are back to what is called an "analogy") then tough s*$#6it... deal with it... If you didn't go to college or score high scholastically... tough crap.  I wanted info on people who were very successful and are "different" than you... if you feel slighted because you were a drop out or dumb ass... want some cheese with your "whine".

Dude, you are a piece of work.  

This is Al Gore isn't it.  You really like talking down to people don't you.  I'm not going to jump on you anymore as you've made my point for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Cumulative GPA of 3.9 - Chemical Engineering - University of Dayton - 1983

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My god you're an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My god you're an idiot.

Why... yes I am.  Thank's for noticing !!

Lawdog
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now that I've read the replys to my post, I now KNOW who the 2 smartest members on this board are(no particular order-- I admire both these guys):

Word to the wise...NEVER show off you brains. There will ALWAYS be someone smarter, someone better edumicated, and finally - someone who APPLIES their limited intellect better and makes a bazillion dollars doing so.Better to keep your mouth shut, sit back and gather info. Open your pie hole and we all know instantly how DUMB you are.

LWilde

It's all good - but that's Dr. Ass Hat to you now. In the end, it doesn't matter how many degrees you have or what GPA you got, but how happy you are with your job and the quality of life you have along with that job. I've met plenty of people that knew a hell of alot more than I do and they have alot less paper on their walls.

Engineer    [You have a great sense of humor.  You knew I was just messin' with ya']

I would be proud to be in the same company as these two individuals.  Both OUTSTANDING men!!

Lawdog
(P.S.  I lied about my GPA... wanted to see who would get their ass up in the air and who would show how "intellectual" they really are.)

Nice try , but .....swing and a miss.

Education definitely increases your chances of financial success, but there are a ton of wealthy people with mediocre academic credentials.  Those made it  on hard work, a single stroke of genius & the guts/ignorance to pursue it ,or those that were simply in the right place at the right time.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My god you're an idiot.

Why... yes I am.  Thank's for noticing !!

Lawdog

___

lawdog...you'll find during your career that your GPA doesn't matter after your first  job.  While in your first position, you'll find it to your advantage not to act or sound like an idiot.  What you do, not what you were will make you successful, throughout your career, and throughout your life.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I graduated with a 2.85, but the only honor I got was boinking 4 different chicks in a 24hr time period.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I graduated with a 2.85, but the only honor I got was boinking 4 different chicks in a 24hr time period.

With "America's Sweetheart™, you could boink a different chick with every stroke

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
welp, killed another thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I averaged a 2.0 GPA in high school.  I never went to college.  According to the latest test (I have to get tested every 6 months), my IQ is 176.  Stuff that in yer ass and smoke it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I averaged a 2.0 GPA in high school.  I never went to college.  According to the latest test (I have to get tested every 6 months), my IQ is 176.  Stuff that in yer ass and smoke it.

IQ is not something that should change over someone's life.  Are you a test subject for experimental drugs?

You're in Mensa, aren't you?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
EGO BOOST FTMFL!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
All I remember is that  I was Summa Cum Laude.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Here's my "data"

3.9 GPA undergrad (summa cum laude)
(no idea for my MS or my PhD - nobody ever asked and I never checked - probably 4.0)

Now what is it that you are collecting these data for?  Are you a grad student, or was it just personal curiosity?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Back when I was in academia I talked about degrees all the time.  Now I work for people who have lessfewer degrees than the academics and are WAY smarter.

TUrns out the military makes people pretty freaking smart.

shooter

...I always notice that too.

Busted...if I had a better GPA I would have caught that.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't trot out the "academic research" bullshit with me.  Your "academic research" is sampling on the independent variable.  If you were a polisci major, a med student, or even a freaking sociologist you would realize that with a variable that doesn't vary you get MEANINGLESS results.  You are not trying to get data, you are trying to make yourself feel better.  No offense, but take a real research methods class, take a survey construction class, and then get back to me.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
What kind of a job do you expect to get with a C.J. degree?  I'm afraid you'll find that the only job you qualify for is the kind of job you could get WITHOUT a degree.  You should feel good about your high GPA, though.  Really.  Give yourself a pat on the back.  
And then get a job and start putting together a resume that an employer will actually give a damn about.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IQ is not something that should change over someone's life.  Are you a test subject for experimental drugs?

You're in Mensa, aren't you?

My understanding is that is it based on your age as well at intellect. Every 6 mo's seems silly though unless you are actively trying to change it. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Seems that in your race for a 4.0 you forgot to learn how to use a dictionary and assume that the people you try to beat over the head with big words won't call you out on it.  Matriculation and graduation are two very seperate words, I suggest you go look them up.  Or maybe they just teach us how to use dictionaries at Top 10 Schools
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#26]
undergraduate coordinator sent me this e-mail today:

David,

Believe it or not, you can apply for graduation. By my calculation, you have a 2.0 CSE GPA.  Congratulations.

<name withheld>

btw, I went to one party the whole time I was in college.

I was never in a frat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If grade point average is not crucial (as some of you think) then, pray tell, does the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that is responsible for employing federal civilian personnel, REQUIRE AT A MINIMUM a 3.5 cum. GPA???  Sorry guys, but GPA is just one of the many, many ways employers "weed out" candidates for select, highly sought-after jobs.

McUzi use to tell me that there were a lot of asshats here but... I really had no idea there were THAT many.  

Lawdog (superiority through massive brain power)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If grade point average is not crucial (as some of you think) then, pray tell, does the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that is responsible for employing federal civilian personnel, REQUIRE AT A MINIMUM a 3.5 cum. GPA???  Sorry guys, but GPA is just one of the many, many ways employers "weed out" candidates for select, highly sought-after jobs.

McUzi use to tell me that there were a lot of asshats here but... I really had no idea there were THAT many.  

I don't know what positions you are looking at, but I've seen a whole range of GPA requirementsrequirements or preferences listed for federal positions.  2.5, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.2, and 3.5 come to mind.  Different for each job.  And I'm only looking in defense, intelligence and research positions.

You're really coming across as one of "those people" who make Mensa into such a laughingstock.  It takes more than grades to make a good worker, and it takes more than grades to make an intelligent person.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Citation, please.
In reality, unless you are trying to be a federal law clerk, GPA matters very little to the feds.  Some .gov jobs will give your application a little more "weight" if you have over a 3.30, I can't remember the name of the program...something like "distinguished graduate".  A veteran with a low GPA will recieve higher points in the hiring process than someone with a 3.30.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Citation, please.
In reality, unless you are trying to be a federal law clerk, GPA matters very little to the feds.  Some .gov jobs will give your application a little more "weight" if you have over a 3.30, I can't remember the name of the program...something like "distinguished graduate".  A veteran with a low GPA will recieve higher points in the hiring process than someone with a 3.30.  

Oh yeah, that's how I've seen it referenced too--"Academic Distinction".
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Don't trot out the "academic research" bullshit with me.  Your "academic research" is sampling on the independent variable.  If you were a polisci major, a med student, or even a freaking sociologist you would realize that with a variable that doesn't vary you get MEANINGLESS results.  You are not trying to get data, you are trying to make yourself feel better.  No offense, but take a real research methods class, take a survey construction class, and then get back to me.

shooter

If this REALLY is some kind of "research" that he claims to be conducting - then I am entitled (as a participant) to see his approval from from the human subjects committee of his university.

How about it, lawdog?

Is this REALLY some kind of legitimate "data" you are collecting for some purpose, or is it just stupid goofing off on the internet?

Because if this is connected to a university (and if the university receives ANY federal grants, money, etc.) then it's very possible that your IRB committee would need to approve this - particularly since it technically involves deception, and IRB committees can be very picky about data collection from human subjects under such conditions.  I'm also curious about how you got around the "informed consent" issue.

So fess up - is this REALLY research you are collecting "data" for?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll make it REAL simple.

1.  You want to work for the OPM (the agency that their employees interview prospective employees)
2.  To apply for being an OPM investigator you MUST have a 3.5 GPA
3.  Without a 3.5 GPA you no can work at OPM

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't recall my GPA, but I worked full time while going to college, mommy and daddy didn't pay for it.  I don't mean some cafe or something like that, I mean a major telecom company.  I also served my country for 4 years prior to that.  How about you?

So, you can crow about your honors and cumming loudly all day, but nobody really cares.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'll make it REAL simple.

1.  You want to work for the OPM (the agency that their employees interview prospective employees)
2.  To apply for being an OPM investigator you MUST have a 3.5 GPA
3.  Without a 3.5 GPA you no can work at OPM

If you were truely an academic superstar, you would have known that the way you worded your sentence,

Quoted:

If grade point average is not crucial (as some of you think) then, pray tell, does the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) that is responsible for employing federal civilian personnel, REQUIRE AT A MINIMUM a 3.5 cum. GPA???

can easily be taken to say that the OPM requires a 3.5 for employment of "federal civilian personnel," not necessarily just employment at the OPM.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
You haven't provided a citation yet, and I don't care enough to look for one.  If that's an OPM requirement for a VERY SPECIFIC JOB, then good for you.  Good luck in the interview.  Try working how smart you are into every question, even the questions about how you've dealt with bad bosses, pushy coworkers, stressful situations, what life experiences you have that apply to the job, etc.  See how far that gets you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this REALLY some kind of legitimate "data" you are collecting for some purpose, or is it just stupid goofing off on the internet?

Professor, I respectfully submit that what I do with unsolicited data that I obtain, collect and analyze, whether it be for personal or academic purposes, is my business... my business only... and I owe no one any explanation(s) for its use.

Lawdog (some of you guys are just too nosey/suspicious)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#37]
lawndog is extremely helpfull in my monthly gag reflex test

No punctuation or capitalization for the benefit of magna cum all over myself
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]
a team member should search and find something stupid this guy has said in the past.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Professor, I respectfully submit that what I do with unsolicited data that I obtain, collect and analyze, whether it be for personal or academic purposes, is my business... my business only... and I owe no one any explanation(s) for its use.

Respectfully, you are incorrect.  It DOES depend on what it is being collected for, and under what conditions - whether it is only your business or not.

IF this is data that is collected for academic purposes, under the auspices of a university, then there are VERY SPECIFIC rules that you are required to abide by.  Universities are VERY SERIOUS about this stuff, because they can lose their federal funding (including research grants, etc.) for violating the rules about human subjects research.  So it is ONLY "your business" if in fact it is merely for your own personal purposes and amusement, and not part of some official research that you are conducting for a university or as part of a university.

Also - do you understand the meaning of the word "unsolicited"???     You started a post ASKING for people to respond to your question.  That is the exact opposite of unsolicited.

If I started a post like you did, for the PURPOSE of collecting data that would be used in research for my university, I would be required to get human subjects (IRB) approval for it.  Doesn't matter if it is on the internet or not - if it is research involving human subjects, it requires approval from the committee.

Therefore, since you did NOT provide any evidence of approval from a human subjects committee (which you are legally required to do upon demand by a subject - if you in fact WERE legitimately conducting "research" as part of some university) you have pretty much acknowledged that you are NOT conducting any formal "research"

That's fine - people essentially do that every time they put up a poll on arfcom.  It is for their own amusement, and it has zzero validity.  I've got no problem with that, and I'm not trying to flame you or judge you.

I just suggest that you don't try to trot out self-important claims about "research" and "data" and "hypotheses" when your post is really no different from people who start a poll about what flavor pie people like best.

And just for the record, I am neither nosy or suspicious - I am just incredibly anal.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#40]
"...your post is really no different from people who start a poll about what flavor pie people like best. "

I like chocolate pie with whipped cream on top... mmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
"...your post is really no different from people who start a poll about what flavor pie people like best. "

Because it's arfcom, I'm afraid to admit that I don't really like pie  

I mean, I like the filling (like pumpkin or apple), but I hate that crumbly crust - so generally, I'll pass on pie.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]

I thought this thread might be good for a few laughs.

I was right.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Negative ghostrider.  If you are doing research on human subjects for ANY academic purpose you must have the permission of the IRB of your school.  And the data you are obtaining is NOT unsolicited, you specifically solicited it.  If your "conclusions" ever make it into so much as a footnote of a college paper then you have performed human research on behalf of your university without permission (and without disclosing to the participants that their information may be shared).  This is a BIG no-no in academics.  No offense to the MANY friends of mine who have CJ degrees, but it is NOT a research degree.  Clearly you did not take a research methods class.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

___

Why would you refer to a government statistic?

Little mister, your mouth is over-running your brain at this point, as many have told you.

If you're so smart and employable, why, oh why, would you have to refer to a government statistic?

Apparently as you have lauded yourself, you should (should? able to?) be able to land a job better than a government position.

__

__

You don't know pie from your pie-hole.

So simply STFU, you idiot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread is sort of like the intellectual equivalent of Squatdog's masterpiece.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
This thread is sort of like the intellectual equivalent of Squatdog's masterpiece.

What a coincidence....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#47]
You don't know pie from your pie-hole.  So simply STFU, you idiot.

So, Skuba-Fred, you couldn't pass the entrance exams of the Sally Struthers School for Dyslexic Dumbasses???

Bite me, asshat.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Good point.

"Can your academic record take a full power shot from my GPA?!?!?"

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Is this academic circle-jerk still ongoing?

No shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Because it's arfcom, I'm afraid to admit that I don't really like pie  

I mean, I like the filling (like pumpkin or apple), but I hate that crumbly crust - so generally, I'll pass on pie.  

I'm glad you clarified your "I really don't like pie" comment as I was beginning to think you were "the ghey".

This guy is just fishing for compliments.  He stated in his first post that he already graduated (unless he's a professional student continuing to suck off his parent’s tits going for advanced degree after advanced degree until they finally say “enough”….go get a job loser).  What’s he going to do with a B.S. in C.J. anyway?  He’s not conducting any sort of official poll or connected to any university.

He’s just some lonely punk ass kid looking for a little recognition that he never got in real life.  He thought he might be able to get some validation here in the cold vacuum of cyberspace that he didn’t get from his parents in real life.  The cruel reality of ARFCOM proved him wrong.

I’d like to be a fly on the wall when he goes before a civil service hiring committee and presents these impeccable academic credentials yet, in the personal interview, he makes a complete assclown out of himself.  He most certainly will if he continues the elitist attitude he’s taken here.

lawdog do us all a favor and let this thread die the undignified death that it should have died 3 days ago.  Continuing to bring it up again over and over only digs your grave deeper and deeper around here.  I know you’ve got to save face but admit your defeat and move on, homeskillet.

One more thing, I do not remember you telling us what college you graduated from.  Care to enlighten us?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top