BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL!

When I was a cop in Youngstown in the 1990s (a couple of years we were competing with DC on the murder rate), the Bloods and Crips tried to move in on the Youngstown gang banger drug trade. A few executions later, the Bloods and Crips left. If the Youngstown gang bangers didn't do it, the Youngstown mob would have. In a documentary about the Yougstown mob, mobsters from Cleveland and Pittsburgh interviewed said that Youngstown racketeers were crazy and you don't go in there uninvited.
View Quote

I've lived about 20 minutes south of Youngstown my whole life; 52 years.

That place was no joke.

"Uncle" who did a lot of business in Youngstown in the 60's-70's found a bomb in his car in Leetonia OH one fine winter morning.

Remember getting in a cab in Vegas once with a newly immigrated Russian cab driver and in his broken English asked where I was from.

"Just south of Youngstown" I replied.

He turned around in his seat (while driving) loudly exclaiming "Youngstown!  Yes! Trafficant!"

"Yeah, that's right! Now keep you eyes on the road Boris!"
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, I was on the school bus about half a mile away, when Danny Green blew up.  It was loud.
View Quote

Crazy! That kinda shit sounds like the movies.

I vaguely remember that but I recently watched a segment of 'Mobsters' about this guy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a real live actual Clevelander. West park with all the drunken Irish.
View Quote
My last address in the city was on W.100th south of Denison. It's a real shithole now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up in the country without cable, had to watch UHF.  Channel 43 WUAB must've run that commercial a hundred times a day.  

I'm in the far west suburbs now.  My only complaints living here are winter time, RITA taxes and e-check (kiss my ball bag OEPA).  Otherwise I got awesome, affordable fishing right down the street, golf courses everywhere and nice neighborhood bars.  Hell, even like the neighbors for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m just here for the Steamer
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey, I was on the school bus about half a mile away, when Danny Green blew up.  It was loud.
View Quote

Killed by Ronnie Carrabia, mob guy from Youngstown.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Calling your rival mobsters, "maggots" on local news sure didn't help his cause.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Again, I have nothing of value to contribute. So, here's a funny video instead!

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My last address in the city was on W.100th south of Denison. It's a real shithole now.
View Quote

That area is horrible these days.

East side of Cleveland is still worse with Slavic village and Harvard area, parts of St Claire, various projects, and the suburb of East Cleveland but Denison near west 100th is were I see the wildest stuff when working.

Edit
The Westside and Eastside are like two different worlds
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#11]
cleveland is a cancer city, spent way too long there.   infact, the entire state is cancer.  do not enter ohio, if you  are already there, leave.

cleveland is americas armpit.   do not approach the city.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Preemption, constitutional carry, and no restrictions greater than federal law.  Also our BLMTIFA got shut down right quick after the first damage they did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cleveland is a cancer city, spent way too long there.   infact, the entire state is cancer.  do not enter ohio, if you  are already there, leave.

Preemption, constitutional carry, and no restrictions greater than federal law.  Also our BLMTIFA got shut down right quick after the first damage they did.

Yeah, I am going to go with this.

Ohio is not bad.  It wouldn’t be my first choice but even in the Cleveland area, you can have a nice life. There are far worse places.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

I grew up near 128th and St. Clair in the '50s.

Lived in the Five Points area before that.

I imagine it's not the blue collar neighborhood where I lived anymore.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/Ghoulardi_jpg-2683844.JPG

View Quote

Ghoulardi's son is Paul Thomas Anderson

Grew up near 5 points myself 80s-90s
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says the guy in Oregon

Guessing you've never been to Filthadelphia, Baltimore, Shitcago, DC...
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
OH has better gun laws than FL.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Regarding East Cleveland and "a cop told me "  if that is true, IT WAS SO THEY COULD  BUST YOU!!! Geniuses.  
They are BROKE! They need all the revenue they can gin up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's crazy to me that they got him in Beachwood. I just drove past that building on Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Suburban Cleveland native here, spent a lot of time in Cleveland proper throughout the years.

So disappointed I didn't realize yesterday was Garfield-1-23-23 day, definitely would have celebrated with Cleveland friends!

I like to call Youngstown the Event Horizon of America's asshole. My dad was an ER doc in the late 80's-early 90's in Youngstown. He was sick of all the organized crime people ending up in his ER and threatening staff. He told me story about when 2 known hitmen from the area were in his ER with their mother, writing down the names of staff in a small notebook and generally scaring the shit out of people. It was what got him back to Cleveland-area hospitals.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That area is horrible these days.

East side of Cleveland is still worse with Slavic village and Harvard area, parts of St Claire, various projects, and the suburb of East Cleveland but Denison near west 100th is were I see the wildest stuff when working.

Edit
The Westside and Eastside are like two different worlds
View Quote

We have lived in North Royalton for almost 21 years now. Still go in, out, and through the city for work like you. I'm always strapped now. I don't know how I did service work mostly in the 'hood for 20 years, unarmed. Never had an incident except one time some dude said something to me at E.93rd and Kinsman.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/Ghoulardi_jpg-2683844.JPG

View Quote
Collinwood!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better gun rights, not better laws...
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
West sider all my life. Have worked downtown and surrounding areas. Cleveland crime areas are localized and easily avoided. Downtown has good bars and night life if you are into that stuff. I travel around the US on my motorcycle and there are a lot worse places to live/visit.

I am fine with people hating on the state and staying out. Once we cleaned up the election bullshit we are firmly red with the exception being the large cities.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Im not from Cleveland but my exe was. She actually lived in Lakewood. We would walk down to Detroit ave and have beers in the local bars. I always enjoyed that. Wish there were bars within walking distance of my current home!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll chalk it up to thinking in a foreign language.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in Cleveland, TX.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#30]
TLDR, go away.

So, I'm a kid, probably five years old.
I can't recall why were there but my family was in East Cleveland, probably had something to do with something around University Circle
We're trying to get back home. Dad is driving, mom has the map. (That's how people used to get around before GPS).
We're trying to make our way to the main route to get home but we're getting deeper and deeper into what's obviously a bad part of town.
Lots of people out looking like they'd prefer we not be there. You could almost read their thoughts based on how they looked at us.

My mom kept insisting we turn at With Street but dad never saw it.
By this time we're scared and are locking doors and stuff us white bread people do in East Cleveland.

Finally, my dad pulls over, grabs the map and figures out  were looking for W 11th St. (Not With Street) and that was still a few miles down the road.

We finally made it home.  Dad decided to look at the newspaper, this was still the early 80s.
Turns out, that day was the anniversary of the start of the Hough riots of 1966 and these people were looking for something to be pissed about.
The national guard had to be called in for that shit.

I learned early on, don't go to East Cleveland.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:45:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
TLDR, go away.

So, I'm a kid, probably five years old.
I can't recall why were there but my family was in East Cleveland, probably had something to do with something around University Circle
We're trying to get back home. Dad is driving, mom has the map. (That's how people used to get around before GPS).
We're trying to make our way to the main route to get home but we're getting deeper and deeper into what's obviously a bad part of town.
Lots of people out looking like they'd prefer we not be there. You could almost read their thoughts based on how they looked at us.

My mom kept insisting we turn at With Street but dad never saw it.
By this time we're scared and are locking doors and stuff us white bread people do in East Cleveland.

Finally, my dad pulls over, grabs the map and figures out  were looking for W 11th St. (Not With Street) and that was still a few miles down the road.

We finally made it home.  Dad decided to look at the newspaper, this was still the early 80s.
Turns out, that day was the anniversary of the start of the Hough riots of 1966 and these people were looking for something to be pissed about.
The national guard had to be called in for that shit.

I learned early on, don't go to East Cleveland.
View Quote

Most folks dont understand how bad a place like East Cleveland is.  Most people that live in the big cities dont explore such areas.  Sometimes (like in your story) you accidently go through such a place.  Just like most people cant understand the poverty of a small town in a place like the Mississippi Delta.   It is "other worldly" for many.

There are places as bad as East Cleveland and places as bad that are larger, but in this country, in a real city, I cant think of any place worse.  It is....something to behold. It is an example, in this country, of "Peak shithole."

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
I grew up in Bedford. Left in 82 and never went back. My mom and sisters still live there. I don't know wny.

I remember when Dennis Kucinich was mayor and when Randall Park Mall opened up.

Its nice knowing I have all that going for me.
View Quote
BHS class of '96. Forced bussing really destroyed Bedford.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#33]
BTW, one of the coolest things about Cleveland metro is the Jewish community.  There are cities with more Jews (NYC, LA. Boston....) but Cleveland has a huge Jewish population and one of the msot Jewish cities in the world.  Beeshwood Ohio in the Cleveland Metro has over 90% of its population that is Jewish.  That entire side of Cleveland is Jewish.  As a Jew, it was pretty cool.

My wife and I lived in a mid rise in University Heights.  Almost the entire building was Jewish. I could walk to a Heinens or several kosher stores and places to eat.  

I dont want to live there again, and I would TRY not to. But if I had to, Cleveland isnt as bad as people say if you are doing well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I made deliveries to East Cleveland for a company outside of Boardman OH 2 days a week and in Youngstown OH 2 other days.

East Cleveland is/was a horrible shithole but, what's funny is the East Cleveland guys were afraid of Youngstown.

"You deliver in Youngstown!! Fuck that! You could never get my black ass in that place!!"

My buddy got robbed 3 times in Cleveland and after I had to pull my gun on a bunch of hood rats that tried to corner me in an alley,  I called the boss/owner and quit on the spot.

Fuck that shithole, I'll never go back!
View Quote
My band used to play a club in Youngstown every once in a while. It had a legit 88'er tattoo shop upstairs, but the venue had some pretty good shows and the skins were actually pretty cool to everyone. We would take photos out front every time we played and count the new bullet holes in the front of the building. That part of Youngstown was definitely scarier than East Cleveland to me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most folks dont understand how bad a place like East Cleveland is.  Most people that live in the big cities dont explore such areas.  Sometimes (like in your story) you accidently go through such a place.  Just like most people cant understand the poverty of a small town in a place like the Mississippi Delta.   It is "other worldly" for many.

There are places as bad as East Cleveland and places as bad that are larger, but in this country, in a real city, I cant think of any place worse.  It is....something to behold. It is an example, in this country, of "Peak shithole."

View Quote

"West Memphis, Arkansas"
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#36]
skinny little boy from cleveland

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm a real live actual Clevelander. West park with all the drunken Irish.
View Quote

Is there an "undrunken" version?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Says the guy in Oregon

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy in Oregon

Or Portland?

I don’t care for big cities much and would never live in one.  
But Cleveland still does have lots of small manufacturing businesses all around.   Really most of OH does

It’s just too flat and mostly boring to drive through.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I lived in Alliance in the late 60's. I remember the cold and snow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Says the guy from Oregon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My wife and I lived in a mid rise in University Heights.  Almost the entire building was Jewish. I could walk to a Heinens or several kosher stores and places to eat.  

View Quote
That Heinen's is still there. I shop there every week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BTW, one of the coolest things about Cleveland metro is the Jewish community.  There are cities with more Jews (NYC, LA. Boston....) but Cleveland has a huge Jewish population and one of the msot Jewish cities in the world.  Beeshwood Ohio in the Cleveland Metro has over 90% of its population that is Jewish.  That entire side of Cleveland is Jewish.  As a Jew, it was pretty cool.

I dont want to live there again, and I would TRY not to. But if I had to, Cleveland isnt as bad as people say if you are doing well.
View Quote
I miss the Jewish Delicatessens of old Miami.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Geez seriously? I traveled allot in my former job. You need to get out more.

I can think of worse cities.

Jackson MS
East St Louis
Philthydelphia (was told not be in the school halls at class changing time or I would get stabbed, this was in a EF'n elementary school.)
Detroit
Memphis

But Cleveland? Ya right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"West Memphis, Arkansas"
View Quote

I know west memphis well.

It falls into that “as bad, but I don’t know if anyplace worse”  but it is very different from East Cleveland.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#48]
The river fire was ages ago.
Its a stupid reply now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The river fire was ages ago.
Its a stupid reply now.
View Quote

The problem with the river fire is that it reason for the creation of the EPA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Most of Cleveland has begun gentrification.

The Cleveland clinic area, Ohio city, north Collinwood or anywhere close to Lakeshore.

Call me crazy but I think East Cleveland will be too one day.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top