BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Very odd when Daimler-Chrysler's Hyundai and Mercades divisions both offer 100000/10year warranties

Daimler does not own Hyundai.  Hyundai is rich enough to buy Daimler if they wanted to.  Hyundai also owns Kia.  The warranties are fantastic.  The quality of my Kia Spectra is very good.  I can own my vehicle during the payment period without getting dinged for a transmission or engine.

No, DC got controlling interest in Hyundai Motors for firesale prices back when the South East Asian economy tanked in late 1990s, and it took it off the hands of the Korean goverment, who had in turn taken it off the hands of strapped banks.  I do not think that DC bought the shipbuilding, heavy equipment, or military production facilites though- although they have the same name those are a different company.

DC added another 15% of Hundai when they acquired Mitsubishi Motors 4 years ago.  And again, when they acquired that they did NOT acquire Mitsubishi Electronics or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, or Mitsubishi Aerospace.  All of which are healthy and profitable companies.  But even though they use the same name and logo they have not been part of the SAME company since the end of WWII.

DC is now seriously considering dumping Mitsubishi Motors- not even considering selling it because they couldn't recoup their investment that way, but dismantling it.  They do want to keep Hyundai.  Hyundai has become quite profitable and out sold Mitsubishi in the US last year.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently bought a 2003 Sebring coupe at carmax and it drives like a brand new car. No problems with it so far.

Just so you know, that Sebring is actually part of the last gasp out of the Diamond-Star deal.  What you've actually got is a re-skinned Misubishi Eclipse.  I've got a 2004 Dodge Stratus coupe, and it's the same deal.  The last one's recently came off the assembly line in Illinois, and the Stratus, and probably Sebring, will both be retired soon.  If you want more information and things you can do with your car check out 2G Stratus.  I'm a member there, same screen name and avatar as here.  Hope to see ya over there!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought that any Chrysler product came with a 20 foot warranty.
Buy a Toyota with no warranty and just forgetta bout it.

And for those who say that we buy "imports" due to the fact that we have been brainwashed into "thinking" that they are better products.  WAKE UP!!!!
They are MUCH BETTER PRODUCTS than your Domestic brands. Look at the resale value that should tell you something.  Who in the world would buy a Dodge product with 100,000 miles on them.  Not many.  Now who will buy a Toyota with 100,000 miles on it...lets say it together...M-A-N-Y.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My only DC product was a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4

Power window failed at about 29K. Then it developed a nasty engine knock/rough idle at about 30K. Something I thought Fuel Injectors all but eliminated. I was glad to get rid off it it was too small anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like it or not guys the value of a vehicle is in the TOM, total operation and maintence, which is in dollars.

The US manufacturers reached parady with the Japanese manufacturers in the mid-90's and since then the Japanese have lost ground substantually.  

In simple terms, it cost more for the Japanese vehicle up front and though it may need one repair to three compared to a similar American vehicle, the one repair costs more than three on the American vehicle.

There's a difference between actual quality and perceived quality.  The Japanese companies have beaten crap out of the American companies in this regard and are now taking fincial advantage of it.  Their service centers treat you with the upmost respect as they rape you pocket book.  

The most part all the manufacturers make a decent commuter vehicle but if you want something for severe duty, work or offroad, you are far better off with something you can fix inexpensively or is heavier built or as Ford puts it Tough.  

I like cars and have both Japanese and American vehicles.  I am not influenced by trends but by specifications, history, and performance.

IMHO, the real fool is someone who makes a major fincial decison based on a trend or slick marketing or image instead of buying what best fits his application.

Tj

They should factor inconvenience and headache into the TOM, not just the direct cost of repairs.

I had an s-10 blazer. It was in the shop once a month once it hit 100k

Yeah, those 4.3's don't hold up real well past 100K.  My mom went 122K before it threw a rod on an '88 Chevy Astro.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Another thing to consider.

Standard and Poors just downgraded Ford and General Motors to JUNK BOND STATUS.

DC is still considered a safe bet...

Why do suppose that is if Chrysler products are "junk"?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like it or not guys the value of a vehicle is in the TOM, total operation and maintence, which is in dollars.

The US manufacturers reached parady with the Japanese manufacturers in the mid-90's and since then the Japanese have lost ground substantually.  

In simple terms, it cost more for the Japanese vehicle up front and though it may need one repair to three compared to a similar American vehicle, the one repair costs more than three on the American vehicle.

There's a difference between actual quality and perceived quality.  The Japanese companies have beaten crap out of the American companies in this regard and are now taking fincial advantage of it.  Their service centers treat you with the upmost respect as they rape you pocket book.  

The most part all the manufacturers make a decent commuter vehicle but if you want something for severe duty, work or offroad, you are far better off with something you can fix inexpensively or is heavier built or as Ford puts it Tough.  

I like cars and have both Japanese and American vehicles.  I am not influenced by trends but by specifications, history, and performance.

IMHO, the real fool is someone who makes a major fincial decison based on a trend or slick marketing or image instead of buying what best fits his application.

Tj

They should factor inconvenience and headache into the TOM, not just the direct cost of repairs.

I had an s-10 blazer. It was in the shop once a month once it hit 100k

Yeah, those 4.3's don't hold up real well past 100K.  My mom went 122K before it threw a rod on an '88 Chevy Astro.  

Yeah, I had a car-b-que on the beltway at rush hour right at 125k miles. Good times.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top