Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, well, according to SJW's......*and I'm not saying that it's right, but right and the world are not always synonymous* a girl should be able to wear a bikini to a biker bar, get drunk, and not have to worry about herself.  While she *shouldn't have to,* it's also *not prudent to do so.*

There are bad people in the world.  That's not going to change any time soon.  Take responsibility for not putting yourself in situations where bad people might not care about doing bad things to you.

Just like I'm not going to go to the local biker bar due to the probability of "issues" cropping up there......nor am I going to wander around a ghetto alone, at night.  Some things, you just don't do if you care about your safety in any way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would it take us there at all?

I don't recall lessor sentencing for rapists being tied to the notion that women should take common sense steps to protect themselves.  The point was never "Don't wear skimpy clothes in rough neighborhoods or else the guy that rapes you will be less guilty and thus get less time".  I'm not saying that you are the one that came up with it, but whoever did created a straw man argument.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I certainly don't think any victim of rape is responsible for it. The rapist is!  However, I do believe that women need to use some common sense and maintain situational awareness to avoid it.

Walking around defenseless and drunk with people you don't know or can't trust is not a strategy for survival.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but where does this take us?  Does the person who rapes a drunk woman in a short, tight skirt get a lesser sentence than the one who rapes a stone sober one in a burqa?

Why would it take us there at all?

I don't recall lessor sentencing for rapists being tied to the notion that women should take common sense steps to protect themselves.  The point was never "Don't wear skimpy clothes in rough neighborhoods or else the guy that rapes you will be less guilty and thus get less time".  I'm not saying that you are the one that came up with it, but whoever did created a straw man argument.

I didn't say it did.

In times past, and not very past, immodest dress was considered an invitation to rape.  Still is in some parts of the world.

The "blame the victim" mentality is a historical fact and a mindset that dies hard.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
An incident in her youth.

From an interview on Huffpost.

""Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility. You can’t f**k about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges ... those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do. You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say, whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility. I mean, I was naive.
If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be? ... If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged -- don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him. “If you’re wearing something that says ‘Come and f**k me,’ you’d better be good on your feet ... I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial, am I?” [via Vulture]"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11836674/Rape-victim-Chrissie-Hynde-deserves-our-sympathy.html

Slammed by other victims.
View Quote

By her logic every stripper is asking to be raped
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An incident in her youth.

From an interview on Huffpost.

""Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility. You can’t f**k about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges ... those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do. You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say, whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility. I mean, I was naive.
If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be? ... If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged -- don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him. “If you’re wearing something that says ‘Come and f**k me,’ you’d better be good on your feet ... I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial, am I?” [via Vulture]"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11836674/Rape-victim-Chrissie-Hynde-deserves-our-sympathy.html

Slammed by other victims.

Especially if it was called THERAPE CLUB.

ETA like some others here have said, people know what she meant and know the difference and know she didn't say it was OK.  She, like others was just tired of the disengenuous claims that victims don't make some serious mistakes that lead to bad things happening.  

My wife's friend didn't drink fluids on a 40 mile bike ride despite pleas from my wife and others.  She went down at about 36 miles and we loaded her in the car.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
In my live I've been around hundreds, probably thousands of women so smoking hott that it hurt to look at them.  Never occurred to me to rape them.

Now, if she means don't hang around scumbags, I can go with that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Bingo.  I think that's the real point here.  No woman "asks for it" or invites it because of dress or lack thereof.  However, being around a bunch of criminals and low life's is to greatly increase the likelihood of victimization regardless of what a woman does or doesn't wear.

Quoted:
In my live I've been around hundreds, probably thousands of women so smoking hott that it hurt to look at them.  Never occurred to me to rape them.

Now, if she means don't hang around scumbags, I can go with that.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top