BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
cgwahl,

I don't think the Chinese will want to try and take on the ROK Army (pronounced "rock" for a reason), even with the help of the North Korean government.

Simply put - the nKPA (or north Korean People's Army) is a shell.  Hell, the whole nation is still starving, and if Kim Jong-Il is talking of making peace with the South, it's got to be VERY bad.

As far as our military is concerned, only a few lightfighters and SF people are fighting right now.  The heavy forces are still training, and still waiting for the call.  

Can anyone ever forget when 2 United States Corps (XVIII Airborne Corps and the mighty VII Corps) attacked in zone during Desert Storm?  Don't think that lesson was taken lightly by our adversaries worldwide.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Spearweasel
I know where your coming from man, my uncle lives in Reno and swears when he is down in his basement he can hear people speaking in Chinese.

He notified the government which recorded the   conversations and then interpreted for him what was being said. The interpreter said in-between great bouts of laughter, can be heard chinese voices saying over and over  "don't throw away your Confederate money, because the South is going to rise again."  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
While I was in graduate school getting my politcal science degree, I had many opportunities to ponder and discuss the impending conflict with China.  I came up with what I feel to be a reasonable solution:

Currently very few Chinese people have cars.  Most ride bicycles.  So if we ship enough cars over to China our problem is solved.  If the way Chinese-Americans drive is any way related to the way the Chinese in China drive, they should all be dead in a week.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In WW2 the germans had superior tanks than we did we beat them by one factor volume they produced hundreds we made thousands. If you get enough of something you will win our army just isnt that big. I dont think we colud produce weapons fast enough
View Quote

You got to remember that the British and later on, the Americans, bombed the production lines for these Panzers. Thier Panzers were far superior to our Shermans, but if we take the ability to build them, then we effectively shut them down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
China is smart, very very smart. They are becoming a economic, scientific and artistic center.
View Quote

They're already an economic power (check the tags at Wal-Mart) but -- an artistic center?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In WW2 the germans had superior tanks than we did we beat them by one factor volume they produced hundreds we made thousands. If you get enough of something you will win our army just isnt that big. I dont think we colud produce weapons fast enough
View Quote

You got to remember that the British and later on, the Americans, bombed the production lines for these Panzers. Thier Panzers were far superior to our Shermans, but if we take the ability to build them, then we effectively shut them down.
View Quote

Actually, if you study the records, the germans produced more Panzers and weapons towards the end of the war than during the early years.  It was discovered that most of the production facilities were not seriously damaged by bombing(i.e. could be rebuilt so fast as to not delay production).  The problem with germany was resources.  You need steel to make tanks, rubber for tires, fuel for engines, and all kinds of other stuff not native to germany.

On the other hand, the U.S. had almost limitless natural resources in the interior of our boundaries.

Unfortunately, China has plenty of natural resources(that's why Japan tried to conquer them in WW2 so they would have more resources for their ongoing war).  China will have to be invaded and conquered in a bloody conflict if we go to war.  They can't be bombed into submission since they won't run out of supplies.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Who's fault is that, our's: we were Ignoring what was going on over in Europe instead of
developing weapons for a possible conflict. also
we have a very bad habit of not listening to the
troops to what was needed, suit's in the whitehouse knew everything. Has for china were
helping them build there military; shoot Clinton help them build there missile defense. we also buy "Made in China" goods I see everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
cgwahl,

I don't think the Chinese will want to try and take on the ROK Army (pronounced "rock" for a reason), even with the help of the North Korean government.

Simply put - the nKPA (or north Korean People's Army) is a shell.  Hell, the whole nation is still starving, and if Kim Jong-Il is talking of making peace with the South, it's got to be VERY bad.

As far as our military is concerned, only a few lightfighters and SF people are fighting right now.  The heavy forces are still training, and still waiting for the call.  

Can anyone ever forget when 2 United States Corps (XVIII Airborne Corps and the mighty VII Corps) attacked in zone during Desert Storm?  Don't think that lesson was taken lightly by our adversaries worldwide.
View Quote

Didn't think about NK trying to make peace with SK.  Yeah guess NK isn't doing very well.  Hopefully the people not happy there will start a revolution and form a new government.

Thing is, by observation if China had any oportunity to do their thing it'd be now or at least while we're dealing with Iraq and whatever other country is after them (excluding the few troops sent to the Philipinnes).

If/when we go after Iraq I don't see them as a huge threat.  Moderate maybe but I don't think they'll be as easy to beat as last time.  Such as, I don't see them surrenduring to reporters after the first month, maybe two or three though [;)].  But then there is the fact that alliances (if you can even call them alliances) in the Middle East are about as reliable as the weatherman.  Once we start with Iraq we may have to deal with Kuwait, Saudi, Egypt, Iran, etc.  All those countries except for Turkey.

I'm not a soldier and never was (and probably never will be unless I get drafted or decide to enlist).  But it appears to me that our military is a lot weaker than it was a decade ago.  Although we aren't yet a weak military in other countries eyes.  It'll take more than a few months to get back to where we once were.  I assume you are now or once in the military and I know you know a lot more about this stuff than me, so if you say we're ok then I'll believe you.

Do we even have enough arms/bullets/bombs/missles/etc. to deal with Iraq now?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
[soapbox]  THE WORLD WILL BE ALL MINE!!!FUCK CHINA!!![:D]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They want to re-annex Taiwan , by their own words they want Taiwan back.  So they are modernizing across the board to accomplish this.

Benjamin
View Quote

And why do they want Taiwan?  It's only a technological powerhouse.  When China takes over Taiwan, they get a goldmine of technology.  Where does most of the computer RAM come from?  Where are most motherboards made?  China effectively starts controlling a large chunk of the personal computer market when they take over Taiwan, and Lord only knows what else.  Oil may be the gold of the present, but technology is gaining fast.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
For a pretty good read on a Chinese invasion of the U.S., read the book 'Invasion' by Eric L. Harry.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no doubt in my mind that if China used short-range tactical nuclear missiles against Tawain during an invasion effort, then the US would respond with nuclear weapons on Beijing and other strategic locations throughout China.  Not only that, but we'd launch a full scale war against China.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought we scraped the Polaris, long ago and they were all Trident D models now.
View Quote

NO!Polaris LIVES!!!
Polaris is KING!!
LONG LIVE POLARIS!!
Polaris is your buddy!!
TRIDENT is Polaris' big brother!We still have both of them!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top