User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some music magazines still do press-out thin plastic records.

I bet a lot of current tweens and teens would be hard pressed to find a CD player outside of a car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Some music magazines still do press-out thin plastic records.

Quoted:
nowadays, they would have to do "cut-out-CD's" because there aren't many record players still around.

I bet a lot of current tweens and teens would be hard pressed to find a CD player outside of a car.

I remember Coke used to have a real small CD packaged in 12 packs during the early 90s.  Couldn't play them in the car though, they'd get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is another from Mad Magazine "It's a Gas" Around 1965 or 66 we played it on the record player in the college dining hall. We were easily amused then.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#3]
... WTF is subnet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
nowadays, they would have to do "cut-out-CD's" because there aren't many record players still around.
View Quote

Nope. Now they'd just print an I-Tunes code on the back of the box so you could download the music onto your phone. Then 40 years later, people would be reminiscing on Arfcom about how cool it was.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I remember them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Two of my cereal box The Monkees records were 'I'm a Believer' and 'Stepping Stone'... now that's old    Considering the option, I'll take old  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember them. not that exact one, although I do remember hearing "abc - 123" on the radio. boy, does that make me feel old.

Two of my cereal box The Monkees records were 'I'm a Believer' and 'Stepping Stone'... now that's old    Considering the option, I'll take old  

I remember having one from the Archies
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, I got an Archies record that way!
I'm old
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I remember back in the 70's there was this stud American decathlete pictured on a box a Wheaties... won Olympic gold the same year as the United States Bicentennial... greatest athlete on the planet... good looking, all-American dude... captivated the nation, had the world by the balls.

Now he's a broad
View Quote

Holy shit. Are you for real? I was in the check out line today and figured it was tabloid bullshit?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope. Now they'd just print an I-Tunes code on the back of the box so you could download the music onto your phone. Then 40 years later, people would be reminiscing on Arfcom about how cool it was.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PhasedPlasmaRifles.com
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hell yes!

Thanks I'd forgotten those
View Quote

Same here.  I would say 1980 was the last time I saw one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, I had "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies off the back of a box of cereal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a Billy and the Boingers single inside one of the Bloom County paperbacks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Captain Crunch cereal used to have a kid's plastic whistle that was the perfect frequency for blowing into a pay phone which would allow you to get free unlimited long distance phone calls. I don't remember how long this went on until the phone company got wise to it and changed things.
View Quote

BZZZZT

WRONG, according to the captain himself, you could not make long distance phone calls, but you could technically make a phone ring and give off weird noises.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow... blast from the past. I'm old as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yeah,I'd forgotten about those
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one of those too...

Quoted:

Yup, I had "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies off the back of a box of cereal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure, on cereal boxes, in magazines, damn I'm old.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember them.  My favorite was an Alvin and the Chipmunks record.  I seem to remember it coming from a Fruity Pebbles box, but it was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

I was telling me daughter about it just a week or two ago.  She looked at me like I was talking about my childhood pet Dinosaur.

View Quote

I remember one that was The Chipmunks singing My Sharona to promote the Chipmunk Punk album. I think it was from a magazine though, not a cereal box. It was way to long ago to remember clearly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember them well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember them, even had a few back in the early 80's
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A co-worker of mine told me there used to be records you could cut out of a cereal box and actually play and I didn't believe him until I saw it for myself.

Any of you guys remember them?

http://youtu.be/8_i6z53k3bs
View Quote

Of course I remember them. I'm old!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember them.
View Quote

Me too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember getting one (around Halloween) that was a series of spooky sounds. I thought it was cool as hell.   I wanna say it was in a box of Cap'n Crunch, but I don't rightly remember.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Treads tonight are making me feel old
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]
In the video, the gentleman mentions something about going back to his "record store."

What the hell is that??  Next thing we know, he's going to say something about going to the movie rental store, and being forced to rewind the movies he rented...

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a few.
Also some guitar magazines had them inside.
Would have to place a coin or two on the center-spindle side to keep it flat.
Thought, 'What will they come up with next?'
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You must be a young'un.
View Quote

Born in 83.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Had some of those in the early 80s.  I still have a couple in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Buncha old farts in here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Definitely available thru the 70's...I remember them

And the next one to associate those of us who remember this shit with being"Old," is gonna get a beating upside the head with my Coleco Pong!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a few of the Monkees cereal box records.  

Many magazines came with flexi discs too.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexi_disc
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got a square record out of this magazine.  I believe the song was "Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" by Joe Satriani.  Sound quality was pretty decent circa 1989.

http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/futureus_imagegallery_fullsize/gallery/GW-1189.jpg
View Quote

"Blue Steel"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top