User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd bet the guy who flies the P-51 "Old Crow" would pay a decent sum  for that one bottle...

Bud Anderson......see my sig line.

I pick up a pint of Old Crow from time to time......my wife cooks with it...blackberry season and Old Crow gets me Cowboy Cobbler..

I'm off to see what 'cowboy cobbler' is

I didn't know that Old Crow was still made.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't imagine the heat in the attic did the taste any favors.

Thee best whiskey is aged in the barrel houses with the most drastic weather changes.  That may or may not apply once the whiskey is bottled.

It doesn't apply, after it's been bottled.

Yes,my understanding is that the ageing process is a function of the booze picking up flavor from the wood cask and once it is bottled all that good stuff stops

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure its fine to drink...but probably wouldnt taste good. Booz from the 1800s and early 1900s was made VERY strong. Thats when the flask was actually used . Most are about equal to 2 to 3 shots which wouldn't even give a guy a buzz today, but if you took 3 shots of 190 proof alochol you sure would. I dont think taste was the issue back then

Where are you getting this crap?  

<CoC violation removed, warning issued - Z>
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure its fine to drink...but probably wouldnt taste good. Booz from the 1800s and early 1900s was made VERY strong. Thats when the flask was actually used . Most are about equal to 2 to 3 shots which wouldn't even give a guy a buzz today, but if you took 3 shots of 190 proof alochol you sure would. I dont think taste was the issue back then

He's been drinking......

guess you guys have never had moonshine....

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thee best whiskey is aged in the barrel houses with the most drastic weather changes.  That may or may not apply once the whiskey is bottled.

It doesn't apply, after it's been bottled.

Yes,my understanding is that the ageing process is a function of the booze picking up flavor from the wood cask and once it is bottled all that good stuff stops

QFT

Pre-Prohibition liquor does have serious collectors value...especially when the bottle has not been opened.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd bet the guy who flies the P-51 "Old Crow" would pay a decent sum  for that one bottle...

I pick up a pint of Old Crow from time to time......my wife cooks with it...blackberry season and Old Crow gets me Cowboy Cobbler..

Why google search a random recipe when you can have a known good one posted here.

Post it please GW.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People dig up old outhouses to find whiskey bottles, some are worth thousands when empty.

I wouldn't want them full.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why google search a random recipe when you can have a known good one posted here.

Post it please GW.

I'll have to dig it out...brb.

I'll have to find it later.....and it turns out Cowboy cobbler uses Southern Comfort not Old Crow....oh well it's still pretty tasty.
I did find this one...
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan pie
1- 9" pie shell
1 cup white sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
Combine in a saucepan heat till dissolved.
4 eggs beaten
1/4 cup Bourbon
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
combine in bowl, mix well....slowly  combine sugar and egg mixtures together.

Add to mix
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans.
pour into prepared shell
bake at 325 f  50 to 55 minutes.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
found it...
Cowboy Cobbler
3 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1 tsp lemon juice & Zest
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

2 cups Bisquik sweet dough
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
blended and  rolled out larger than a skillet.
coat the skillet with butter.....place the rolled out dough into the hot skillet
pour berry mixture over dough....fold dough over berries.
bake at 350   for 25-30 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too bad he didn't find a Thompson!

He hasn't started tearing into the walls of the basement yet.....

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He's been drinking......

guess you guys have never had moonshine....

You never said anything about moonshine, and these bottles were clearly brand name.  You made two universal statements about proof and flavor quality/emphasis based exclusively on the time period.  

Furthermore, your suggested causal relationship between moonshine proof and the flask doesn't hold up in that hip flasks have been around for centuries in various countries, were popular among the wealthy who would be drinking the brand names which have been made at roughly the same proofs for as long as the flasks have been around, and are still a popular gift today despite the severe restrictions on use that result from public and automobile open container laws and premises restrictions–– something that suggests they would currently be in wider every day use without those restrictions.  Many hold enough for a significant buzz, let alone to maintain one, and more than enough for a couple stiff drinks to enjoy where you wouldn't expect to have a bottle of your favorite tasty booze available.

Oh, and one of the bottles had a tax stamp marked "100 proof"

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
found it...
Cowboy Cobbler
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1 tsp lemon juice & Zest
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
coat the skillet with butter.....place the rolled out dough into the hot skillet

That sounds very tasty.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There was a pretty interesting show on a few months back about finding the whiskey of some explorer...Shackleton, I think.  They pulled it out, tested it, drank some and said it was still good.

It was interesting to see some of the work that went into the testing and the identification of the flavors.  Sounds like a neat job.

ETA:  NY Times Article on Subject

If you are talking about the stuff that they brought back from Antarctica, that's kinda a big deal because it was quality stuff and the storage conditions were likely as good as they get.

There's some world famous guy over in Scotland that was major interested in the find.   Guy does all kinds of custom blending and is trying to come up with a production run similar to what was found.

There was a NatGeo episode about it too I believe.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
found it...
Cowboy Cobbler
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
1 tsp lemon juice & Zest
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar

That sounds very tasty.  Thanks!

You're welcome....this recipe is the only reason I let a patch of blackberry brambles live on this property.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Would it still be good?

I'd bet "no. hell no".  I've had badly stored whiskey before. Stuff was only 10 or so years old, but had been left in the sun on "display", then cooked in the Arizona heat.  
Just thinking about the taste makes my stomach churn.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The closest I've come is finding a crushed beer can used as a shim under a toilet.......
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an old house in MO, and the wooden beams and joists in the attic were literally burned from the heat of 50 summers.  

I'm pretty sure Whiskey isn't supposed to be aged at 130 degrees.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Has Spain claimed them yet?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top