Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These dirt tests are all fucking stupid anyway. None of them reflect reality. I NEVER EVER had or seen or even heard of someone's weapon falling into a pile of sand and getting all covered in sand, anyway. Hell, one time I was in the field, we spent a whole week, and my hooch was on a hill basically made of all loose sand dune kinda sand, and I NEVER had trouble keep sand out of my weapon.

It's about as dumb as doing a test between cars by seeing which one can run the longest without any oil inside the engine. Well, no one who cares at all about their vehicle is going to let their car run without oil. It's all fucking stupid and doesn't prove anything.

I had a shit ton of dirt kicked on me and my weapon once, Marine scrambling down a berm to take cover.  

Haha. that had to suck

Yes it did. I was more concerned about the dirt down the back of my collar than the dirt on my weapon. My weapon was fine. I was itchy for the next few days until I could get to a shower.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Lol. See all depends on who is doing the test. Get which ever one tickles you go to Somalia and have a blast.

You seem to not understand that plenty of people in this thread have done just that (or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or all of the above).  

sure have!

i watched AKs fail in afghanistan left and right, sometimes it was the ANA's and somtimes it was the taliban
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol. See all depends on who is doing the test. Get which ever one tickles you go to Somalia and have a blast.

You seem to not understand that plenty of people in this thread have done just that (or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or all of the above).  

sure have!

i watched AKs fail in afghanistan left and right, sometimes it was the ANA's and somtimes it was the taliban

In Iraq, I was training some IPs, the only thing reliable about those AKs is you could count on them to jam.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh wait a minute, according to YT commenters that AK jammed because its .223, that wasn't a real AK. This test was rigged. (Insert more AK fanboy excuses) And guys in Iraq get their AKs dirty and let them rust up for the hell of it. I want to fucking rip my monitor off my desk and throw it through my window sometimes.

Someone already bitched about it being 223 and there is a new video with a AK74 5.45 being tested.

Of course someone else is goona bitch that it's not a AK 7.62. And then someone after that is goona bitch that it's not using '50s ammo. And then someone after that is gonna bitch that it's a Romanian not a XXXX. and then someone after...

EDIT: AK74 test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRUuXyspT0

I would like to see a Non-Cav arms test..............
lol, there's always that guy

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

sure have!

In Iraq, I was training some IPs, the only thing reliable about those AKs is you could count on them to jam.

Now there is what I wanted to hear somebody in the field who had seen it. Thus I stand corrected.

Thank You, CAsoldier and ArmyInfantryVet for your service and statements.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
russell and rick are sexy in those videos.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh wait a minute, according to YT commenters that AK jammed because its .223, that wasn't a real AK. This test was rigged. (Insert more AK fanboy excuses) And guys in Iraq get their AKs dirty and let them rust up for the hell of it. I want to fucking rip my monitor off my desk and throw it through my window sometimes.

I think it jammed because it got a lot of dirt inside it.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I">HK416 > M4</a>

I was being sarcastic. the point being, someone will find some sort of excuse to justify what they like. There are plenty vids out there of DI guns getting submerged and then shot. HK propaganda.

According to Keith_J, the reason the HK didn't blow up is because it has a looser chamber/bore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont try runnng your AR  over with a 6k rough terrian forklift, It will fold in half.
I have first hand experience in this one.

I have had far less sand jam my AR on the first shot. My guess this AR was dry, no lube.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

These dirt tests are all fucking stupid anyway. None of them reflect reality. I NEVER EVER had or seen or even heard of someone's weapon falling into a pile of sand and getting all covered in sand, anyway. Hell, one time I was in the field, we spent a whole week, and my hooch was on a hill basically made of all loose sand dune kinda sand, and I NEVER had trouble keep sand out of my weapon.
It's about as dumb as doing a test between cars by seeing which one can run the longest without any oil inside the engine. Well, no one who cares at all about their vehicle is going to let their car run without oil. It's all fucking stupid and doesn't prove anything.

Iraq sand is like powder all it takes is one Humvee to drive by and the dust cloud it kicks up will cover you head to toe.

I used to keep a barber brush on me at all times to knock the dirt off my weapon and never a single malfunction.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iraq sand is like powder all it takes is one Humvee to drive by and the dust cloud it kicks up will cover you head to toe.

I used to keep a barber brush on me at all times to knock the dirt off my weapon.

yeah barber brushes were like gold, everyone wanted one, and if you had one you had to keep close accountability of it, or it would come up missing. haha. No, but i mean like dumping sand on the weapon, not dust.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to keep a barber brush on me at all times to knock the dirt off my weapon.

yeah barber brushes were like gold, everyone wanted one, and if you had one you had to keep close accountability of it, or it would come up missing. haha. No, but i mean like dumping sand on the weapon, not dust.

I just used a paint brush.  Much cheaper!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy cow that guy shoveled alot of dirt on his AR and it still worked

I know right! forget about the AK, I was happy the AR kept on running. The AK jamming made all the Cult member AK fans cry like little babies. They should do their own videos if they didn't like it. They spend way too much time bump firing from the hip.

From day 1 all I ever heard about an AK is that it can fire with mud or sand inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone already bitched about it being 223 and there is a new video with a AK74 5.45 being tested.
Of course someone else is goona bitch that it's not a AK 7.62. And then someone after that is goona bitch that it's not using '50s ammo. And then someone after that is gonna bitch that it's a Romanian not a XXXX. and then someone after...

SEE they had the bolt closed while dumping.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to see a Non-Cav arms test..............

Getting an AK owner to do anything with his rifle other then bump fire into water is hard. I want to see someone post some groups at 100 and 200 but they never do it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
In this test the AK does jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsTbeKcVdQ
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW any modern military style weapon will work if you maintain it properly and fail if you abuse it.  That being said I have never had a malfunction of any kind with my AK's or AR's except for using light loads in the saiga 12.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]
test isn't fair, if they put the AK in a plastic bag then it wouldn't fail.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:

These dirt tests are all fucking stupid anyway. None of them reflect reality. I NEVER EVER had or seen or even heard of someone's weapon falling into a pile of sand and getting all covered in sand, anyway.

Never?

Hell I'd seen it in Basic, and I had it happen to me in AIT.  Shit happens.

Pretty careless weren't you guys? Again, I never seen anybody lay down or drop their weapon into a pile of sand and getting it all up inside their rifle.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only reason we did the AK test is because some people insisted it could pass that test.  I agree, the test was stupid.  We shouldn't have even had to do it for people to understand that if the fire control can't move, it won't work.

Quoted:
I have had far less sand jam my AR on the first shot. My guess this AR was dry, no lube.

No, I run my ARs wet.

You can see the oil coming out of it in these pics:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/01.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/02.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/03.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/04.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/05.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/dirttest/06.jpg

why in all holy hell do you use a wet lube in a sandy environment? My GF and I watched your videos a couple of weeks ago, which btw, was what convinced me to go with CMMG for her upper.

I use a dry wax teflon spray lube I got from lowes/HD. edit: its Du Pont Teflon Multi Use Dry,wax Lubricant

1st thing on the instructions it says "Will not attract grit or grime"

I clean my rifle normally flush all lube with gun scrubber and liberally coat with the dry lube. I spray the crap out of the carrier and bolt repeatadly. my rifle stays cleaner longer and last time i used it I ran 400+ rounds in a few hours doing some training and suffered 2 short strokes.

that magazine was loaded with some old wolf that had gotten wet and actually had some rust spots starting on it. everything else ran perfecto.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the AK just as much as the next AK fanboy, but it isn't as impervious to dirt and dust as some of them say, and the AR isn't as susceptible to dirt and dust as some of the haters like to insist.

Problem is that the .mil's practices on lubricating rifles (which is very little lube) can cause problems in dusty environments.  However, decently lubed, an AR will run just fine, even when massively dirty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Put pebbles in the FCG and the gun doesn't want to work... Gee, I wonder what happened!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top