BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

serious question - why would they need more than his phone number and first name for that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what ever became of the prowler?

Nobody cared about the prowler.  But they sure put that fucking RP in his place.

I'd have hung up.

Contact info is to verify the person's identity and so they can be contacted if the guy is caught later on. You know, since the cops are liars. That way an independent witness can be called to to testify as to him being at the scene.

Of course, you aren't really that dense so...

serious question - why would they need more than his phone number and first name for that?

They are trained to get everything. Many of these callers change numbers like underwear, tracphones, boost phones, whatnot. The more info you have the easier it will be to get back a hold of them if needed a year later for court.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They are trained to get everything. Many of these callers change numbers like underwear, tracphones, boost phones, whatnot. The more info you have the easier it will be to get back a hold of them if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

They are trained to get everything. Many of these callers change numbers like underwear, tracphones, boost phones, whatnot. The more info you have the easier it will be to get back a hold of them if needed.

Fair enough.  I would make a shitty criminal, and I assume OP is in the same boat.  Hence the hesitation when prompted for all his details.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I should have thrown a ' ' in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I say he was black?   You should show me that part where I said that.  Point it out.  

My post was satire as 90% of those calls are just that.

Off to calibrate my sarcasm meter.  

It's been a really long day.  

If he had been in North Dakota the cops would be there RFN. It is amazing how much they get in trouble for such a tiny % of our population.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They tried that shit once with me. I told him to get a warrant. Guy was speechless and begged my pardon. I said- I don't stutter. Get a warrant. This was due to me finding a purse and taking it to the cop shop so it could be returned to it's owner. Not like needing a material witness or something.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Be prepared for a home visit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Next time you get the run around, hang up.  Call back immediately and tell them "never mind, I just shot him myself."
View Quote
Best answer.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Should have told him that you had a felony warrant and hung up.

They would be there in minutos.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Cops do seem to be all about getting everyone at the scene's personal info. My teenage son was with friends when their two dogs got in a mortal fight. German Shep vs. lapdog. My son tried to save the small dog and luckily only received a small bite on his hand. We knew all parties involved and that both dogs were vaccinated for rabies so no big worries there. I came to get my son to bring him home and clean up his hand and by this time animal control and cops were involved. Cops didn't want either of us to leave without presenting ID etc. I told them the kid doesn't have an ID, not old enough for a permit and I don't have mine with me and high tailed it out of there. Not before a lecture on having ID with you always. He said it is now standard that all people at the scene present ID. I guess that is even if your only crime is breaking up a dog fight. I think most people just fork it over.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some people are unable to function if all the boxes are not filled out.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bear with me here.  I am posting from an xbox 360.
Had to take my wife to the hospital.  Between getting things out of my car for the hospital stay and going out to have a smoke once in a while,  I kept noticing a tall bald guy on a bmx bike riding through checking out cars.  the last time i caught him checking out my car I asked him what he is up to,  and he took off.  i notified hospital staff and they requested i call the police.  tried the non emergency number twice and got voice mail.

So I called the main dispatch and the SO answered.  I gave him a run down on what was going on and he said ok,  and then he asked my name.  No big deal gave him my first name.  then he wanted my middle,  then my last,  then my address and birthdate.  withou giving him my full address and birth date I asked him what makes him think he needs with that info.  his responce was to repeat his request.  

I said fuck it.  gave him the rest of my info and said I think it is pretty lame that a caller has to be subject to a NCIC checkfor simply calling.  I explained I have never had to go through that bs before.  his response was that it is proceedure.   WTF!

View Quote

So what exactly is the problem with giving them your information.
And why would you think someone would be answering the non-emergency number outside of business hours
Quoted:

View Quote

It goes in the report as an involved party
Quoted:
They tried that shit once with me. I told him to get a warrant. Guy was speechless and begged my pardon. I said- I don't stutter. Get a warrant. This was due to me finding a purse and taking it to the cop shop so it could be returned to it's owner. Not like needing a material witness or something.
View Quote

To you its just a found property
It could be part of a larger string of larcenies
When and if they ever catch a suspect and prosecute its important to be able to pull every involved party into a potential trial.
Congrats, you just weakened the Peoples case simply because you didn't want to give your name

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]
To those asking. I have no problem giving my info.  I have nothing to hide.  I was just tossed a curve ball,  I have never been asked to provide more than first and last name and phone number.  Even having been involved in helping police catch thieves.  Hell,  I lent officers my night vision to catch people that were breaking into garages,  they used the nv to catch them,  returned my nv with a thank-you and a handshake.  Nothing more.  

I guess I also didn't think about the false report or ambush angle,  as far as possible reasoning for the info for request.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Just say your name is Jacque Mehoff.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had to take my wife to the hospital.  Between getting things out of my car for the hospital stay and going out to have a smoke once in a while,  I kept noticing a tall bald guy on a bmx bike riding through checking out cars.  the last time i caught him checking out my car I asked him what he is up to,  and he took off.  i notified hospital staff and they requested i call the police.  tried the non emergency number twice and got voice mail.

So I called the main dispatch and the SO answered.  I gave him a run down on what was going on and he said ok,  and then he asked my name.  No big deal gave him my first name.  then he wanted my middle,  then my last,  then my address and birthdate.  withou giving him my full address and birth date I asked him what makes him think he needs with that info.  his responce was to repeat his request.  

I said fuck it.  gave him the rest of my info and said I think it is pretty lame that a caller has to be subject to a NCIC checkfor simply calling.  I explained I have never had to go through that bs before.  his response was that it is proceedure.   WTF!
View Quote

Now what did we learn?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Next time and every time...

"I wish to remain anonymous"

*click*
View Quote

Yup...around here they even ask for your place of employment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what did we learn?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/police_zpsresfgvgk.png

Heh!  

I learned not to call the police here anymore.  Fuck em.

Guilty until proven innocent. Even for the reporting party now?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Heh!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what did we learn?

Heh!  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did I say he was black?   You should show me that part where I said that.  Point it out.  

Dispatch: Bikecop29, please check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.
Bikecop29:  Dispatch, what is the current time.

Dispatch:
 2100 hours.

Bikecop29:
 Dispatch, I'm not seeing what is "suspicious" about this call. Can the caller clarify what exactly is "suspicious"?

Dispatch:
 Negative Bikecop29. Caller is anonymous. Repeating. Check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.

Bikecop29:
 Dispatch, I'm 10-8, Stat 4 unfounded.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dispatch: Bikecop29, please check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.    Bikecop29:  Dispatch, what is the current time.
Dispatch:  2100 hours.
Bikecop29:  Dispatch, I'm not seeing what is "suspicious" about this call. Can the caller clarify what exactly is "suspicious"?
Dispatch:  Negative Bikecop29. Caller is anonymous. Repeating. Check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.
Bikecop29:  Dispatch, I'm 10-8, Stat 4 unfounded.
View Quote

"All units BOLO for an erratic driver headed Northerly on state route whatever in a blue car unknown make/model, no plate given
Driving at a high rate of speed and weaving in and out of traffic
last observed 5-10 minutes ago"
" Dispatch, is the caller still behind the car?"
" No, the caller turned off ten minutes ago and is no longer behind the vehicle"

Yeah, really useful to us

About as much of a true emergency as the piece of cardboard in the roadway, the welfare check calls for the same old guy walking along the road every day or the "distressed" animal in the car that isn't distressed, its just alone in the car
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Kiss your pups goodbye, tactical team will bust in one night and ventilate them.....sorry bro
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

"All units BOLO for an erratic driver headed Northerly on state route whatever in a blue car unknown make/model, no plate given

" No, the caller turned off ten minutes ago and is no longer behind the vehicle"

About as much of a true emergency as the piece of cardboard in the roadway, the welfare check calls for the same old guy walking along the road every day or the "distressed" animal in the car that isn't distressed, its just alone in the car
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dispatch: Bikecop29, please check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.    Bikecop29:  Dispatch, what is the current time.

Dispatch:  2100 hours.

Bikecop29:  Dispatch, I'm not seeing what is "suspicious" about this call. Can the caller clarify what exactly is "suspicious"?

Dispatch:  Negative Bikecop29. Caller is anonymous. Repeating. Check for a suspicious black male, walking on the sidewalk, heading northbound on North Columbia Street.

Bikecop29:  Dispatch, I'm 10-8, Stat 4 unfounded.

I don't miss those shit calls.
Hell, I've been out of LE 2 years now, and don't miss any of it one bit.

I will be pissing off my former Chief/PD when I will force their hand in issuing me a retired police ID after I'm done with college in August.

They can thank H.R. 218 for that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just refuse next time. Your call will be less credible, but who cares?
View Quote

Less credible?

Cops here won't respond at all to calls of anything less than a murder in progress or a donut shop fire.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#22]
No security folks at the hospital?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]
You didn't catch him, you scared him off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I will be pissing off my former Chief/PD when I will force their hand in issuing me a retired police ID after I'm done with college in August.
They can thank H.R. 218 for that.
View Quote

Here you get your retired ID and badge by your last day on the job
It was highly unusual for one of our recent retirees to wait a couple of weeks for his badge due to backorders
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tell the front desk at the hospital that it is their responsibility to police their parking lot and not yours.

They should be the ones calling the law if THEIR property is being prowled.
View Quote

There's probably a sign that says it's NOT their responsibility.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
First guy I ever arrested was the "complainant" on a robbery call.

He was wanted for failure to appear.

The "robbery" turned out to be a "civil dispute" over drugs and/or sex.
He was an "I got deez cheeseburgers" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not in ND at the moment.   I am with my wife in the hospital in Park Rapids Mn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where at in ND? IM me... I have nothing to do with LE but I'm curious.

I'm not in ND at the moment.   I am with my wife in the hospital in Park Rapids Mn.

Do they have real doctors in Mn?

Just saying....
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cops do seem to be all about getting everyone at the scene's personal info. My teenage son was with friends when their two dogs got in a mortal fight. German Shep vs. lapdog. My son tried to save the small dog and luckily only received a small bite on his hand. We knew all parties involved and that both dogs were vaccinated for rabies so no big worries there. I came to get my son to bring him home and clean up his hand and by this time animal control and cops were involved. Cops didn't want either of us to leave without presenting ID etc. I told them the kid doesn't have an ID, not old enough for a permit and I don't have mine with me and high tailed it out of there. Not before a lecture on having ID with you always. He said it is now standard that all people at the scene present ID. I guess that is even if your only crime is breaking up a dog fight. I think most people just fork it over.
View Quote

Since when are we required to have ID on us at all times?

Oh yeah... FBHO
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And why would you think someone would be answering the non-emergency number outside of business hours

When and if they ever catch a suspect and prosecute its important to be able to pull every involved party into a potential trial.
Congrats, you just weakened the Peoples case simply because you didn't want to give your name

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lady got her purse back. No dogs were shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just saying....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where at in ND? IM me... I have nothing to do with LE but I'm curious.

Just saying....

Mayo clinic might have a few...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because there's no federal grant money for catching thieves. Gotta catch them dopers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The girls at the er desk say he's been back 3 more times.  They said they called the police too.  They said an officer stopped by and says he can't find him.  

I gave the dumb asses his description to a t.  How can you miss a 6 foot plus,  shaven head,  baggy pants moron in a white shirt on a tiny bmx bike?

Because there's no federal grant money for catching thieves. Gotta catch them dopers.

There is also no money in crime prevention.  You can't quantity response to crime that doesn't happen.  Therefore no incentive for depts to make it a priority.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No security folks at the hospital?
View Quote

No.   It is a small town hospital. I think there is less than 4000 population.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Heh!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what did we learn?

Heh!  

Are you really that dense?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sending Jews to Treblinka was also "procedure".  But hey, at least he gets a paycheck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Next time and every time...

"I wish to remain anonymous"

*click*
View Quote

Yep.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Calling the cops for something like that is pointless.
View Quote

I had to tell two panhandlers to piss off on my way into a store last week. On the way out, one of their scroungy meth head accomplices told me I was an asshole for not coughing up 'change' for his woman.

Called the fuzz, and on my way past the store on my way home, there were three police cars and a wrecker on the scene. For the price of a call, my community service for the day was complete.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now what did we learn?

Heh!  

I'm dense for being skeptical as to what they will do with the info I gave them?   I know they ran an NCIC check with it.  

Oh and I won't call them anymore when I am here.  

Let me give you a hint.  I am not unfamiliar with law enforcement. With much of my immediate family being,  or having been LE.  And some very good friends who are or have been.  I myself almost became one.  

Funny how many LE get jaded with the job.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had to tell two panhandlers to piss off on my way into a store last week. On the way out, one of their scroungy meth head accomplices told me I was an asshole for not coughing up 'change' for his woman.

Called the fuzz, and on my way past the store on my way home, there were three police cars and a wrecker on the scene. For the price of a call, my community service for the day was complete.
View Quote

They're allowed to beg here but cannot be aggressive, as in blocking your path
We are over-loaded with the guys standing at intersections with their ' I'm broke, please help, God bless" signs
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm dense for being skeptical as to what they will do with the info I gave them?   I know they ran an NCIC check with it.  

Let me give you a hint.  I am not unfamiliar with law enforcement. With much of my immediate family being,  or having been LE.  And some very good friends who are or have been.  I myself almost became one.  

View Quote

How do you know that?
Our dispatchers don't have time to run every caller
Responding officers may or may not request a warrants check for anyone they deal with, but so what
That's how a lot of outstanding warrants are found
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We are over-loaded with the guys standing at intersections with their ' I'm broke, please help, God bless" signs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here too. Sad part is the fact that half of the fucks make a better living than me and you doing it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How do you know that?
Responding officers may or may not request a warrants check for anyone they deal with, but so what
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know that?

Which is why you and I both know what was done with my info.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know that?

If you really think this it's not worth trying to convince you otherwise. You really believe the dispatchers run every caller of a suspicious person for warrants?
How do you "know" they ran you? Did you sit next to them and watch?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It wouldn't be done here.
Like I said, the responding officer might ask for a warrants check but the only way a dispatcher here would know that you had a warrant was if they entered your name and your pre-existing name record in our records database popped up with outstanding warrants. They don't run every name they take. heck, they don't take enough info or put enough notes in the call ticket they create for us
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#45]
E
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But just for curiosity sake, was he?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you really think this it's not worth trying to convince you otherwise. You really believe the dispatchers run every caller of a suspicious person for warrants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know that?

Show me where I said I believe they run all their callers.
There is no other reason to demand  full name home address phone number and dob.  I could see first and last name and maybe phone.  No other reason for the rest,  hell,  they have my phone number when I call.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
E
View All Quotes
Quoted:
E
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  

He was caucasion.  Latino to be exact.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just refuse next time. Your call will be less credible, but who cares?
View Quote

Yeah, sounds like they're cutting back on services.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Show me where I said I believe they run all their callers.
There is no other reason to demand  full name home address phone number and dob.  I could see first and last name and maybe phone.  No other reason for the rest,  hell,  they have my phone number when I call.  

View Quote

I'll give you one reason
Multiple people with your name already in the system.
The DOB is probably the way they plug the right name record into the call ticket
They don't ask for DOBs here but that would be one reason I can think of that they'd ask for a DOB
It eliminates  all of the other John Smiths already in the database
Believe it or not there is usually no conspiracy, no evil intent, and a very good reason why we do what we do
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know that?

Remember - he almost became a cop....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top