BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Response  in blue.  I avoided using the word "dedicated."  I hope this is better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And so we circle around and around again.  

The household single ethernet cable is just fine and you don't need dedicated ethernet wires for your cameras dedicated from DVR to each Camera.    Correct.  Pull the wire to where you want the camera.  The inline couple and slack gets tucked in the wall.  Back in the wiring closet the DVR and cameras get patched to a switch.  The only reason for using a DVR with built-in poe ports is for a simpler or stand alone setup.  A poe switch will allow the use of other poe devices other than cameras on your network.

But your consumer level network gear and camera system maybe won't support doing that.   So depending on your consumer level network gear and consumer level DVR camera system, maybe that won't work - and maybe you will need dedicated ethernet lines for your particular POE system to work.  But you don't need dedicated ethernet lines.    When I use the term inexpensive, I'm referring to buying a smaller POE switch that has just enough ports to power the devices that need it.  This is the difference between  buying an 8 port POE switch to power 8 cameras versus buying a 24 port POE switch.  If you go the less expensive path, you'll have more than one switch, and patch your cables to each switch accordingly.  Consumer grade stuff should play together just fine.  Like anything else in life, choose brands with good reputation.  If you're worried about traffic, add a multi-layer switch which acts as a traffic cop between your router and other switches to prevent your router from being hammered on.

uh... right.

Response  in blue.  I avoided using the word "dedicated."  I hope this is better.

Yes, many ways to slice this pie. For someone not familiar with networking, and building a new house, it is most likely easiest to run an Ethernet line from a central location where you want a DVR to any location you want a camera. That is probably the simplest setup that will work.

Otherwise, there are so many ways to slice this. POE only powers the cameras. It doesn't need to be on the entire run from DVR to camera. So you could have one Ethernet from the DVR to a POE switch somewhere closer to the cameras and then run Ethernet lines from the POE switch to each camera. You could also use standard switches without POE and use POE injectors (which plug into standard 120 VAC receptacles) anywhere along the line after the first switch that the POE cameras connect to. Most "cheaper" switches will not pass POE through so the POE injector would have to be between the switch and the camera. Also, most POE injectors, and the Ethernet cable for that matter, can only support 1, maybe 2 cameras. So you can't say put one POE injector before the switch that feeds 8 cameras because that switch likely won't pass POE through, and the POE injector can't supply that much power.

You need to have an understanding of what each piece in the puzzle can do to fully understand the many ways you can put this together. It's not really a matter of you can or can't do something, but rather what can the equipment you intend to use do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping you'd appear with an MS Paint diagram :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was hoping you'd appear with an MS Paint diagram :)
View Quote

Who? Me? Yea, you don’t want to see my MS Paint skills
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top