Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I see  (and hear) non US resident peoiple at the range here frequently, since a lot of people do "winter" here-especially Canadians and their wicked handguns.

Of course lots of people that speak strictly Spanish.

Once I was shooting next to 3 guys that were speaking a language that I judged to be middle European. They never spoke a single word of english, though they understood the range instructions perfectly.

They had 3 AK types and 2 HK handguns. All three wore Russian style BDU pants.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Washington State has a law making it illegal for a non-US citizen to handle a firearm. The way I read the law when I lived there for three years that if I left my shotgun laying in the middle of the hallway like I carelessly often do , that my non-US citizen green card owning wife couldn't move it aside to vaccume the carpet below it.

In practice I said screw it and I allowed her to clean under the weapons laying about the house.

The gun warning is posted in some of the gun stores I've been in and I think I remember seeing it in the airport of all places too.

Paul, IIRC WA has a permit process for Resident Aliens. A friend owned guns here well before he took his citizenship oath.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the final verdict, people.  It looks like the guy wasn't FOS.  It turns out there is a Washington State law that would prohibit a non-resident alien from "carrying or possessing" a gun.

www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?fuseaction=section§ion=9.41.170

Strangely, it seems that a loophole only makes it a felony for the alien, not for the lending gun owner.

www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?fuseaction=section§ion=9.41.080

Notice that they only cite 9.41.040 which prohibits felons and other "bad people".

FYI,
BoB
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive seen Japanese students or tourists renting handguns at indoor ranges
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK...

IF this person in illegally in the country.  It is just the same as felon in possession of a firearm.

That is to say, it is a violation of federal law for a felon, a drug addict, (or someone convicted of domestic violence, even a misdemeanor) or a illegal alien to possess a firearm or ammunition.  

If they are legally in the country... NOT AN ISSUE!

...as it relates to Federal law.

Don't you think they would have to prove illegal status first? I don't think many INS (CBP) officers hang at the range to check I-94S and Visas. I still have my Immigration books and the number of loopholes is sickening.

Rob
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top