BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

And wallet is pronounced wall-ay, as in: I have lots of cache in my wallet.

Ok this one nearly killed me.

I nearly choked on my sandwich...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
oh, btw, it's also, real-tor, not real-a-tor.

Target = Tar-jay

Penny's = Pen-Ay's

You get the idea
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I say cache=cash, carbine=carbean, creek=creek, acorn= A-corn.

What about a nice carbonated drink, such as Coke or Pepsi?

I say coke for any drink like that, I grew up in southern Kansas and we all said that. Do you prefer Pop? How about Soda? That sounds gay to me, but I guess it's where you grow up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel the need to point out that all forms of pronunciation all equally valid. There is no right or wrong way to speak a language. The various regional accents and peculiarities should be seen as a richness, not as mistakes or errors. The form of speech used by a Los Angeles rapper is no more incorrect than that of an Oxford professor.

Having said that, I do feel your pain. The oddities of American pronunciation are indeed perplexing at times. Nevertheless, I think they are rather interesting and should be valued, not scorned.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I feel the need to point out that all forms of pronunciation all equally valid. There is no right or wrong way to speak a language. The various regional accents and peculiarities should be seen as a richness, not as mistakes or errors. The form of speech used by a Los Angeles rapper is no more incorrect than that of an Oxford professor.

Having said that, I do feel your pain. The oddities of American pronunciation are indeed perplexing at times. Nevertheless, I think they are rather interesting and should be valued, not scorned.

You must be a proponent of ebonics.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cache as in memory cache or cache of ammunition = 'cash'
cache as in 'that car has a certain cache to it' = 'cash-ay'

x156

Close, but no cigar.

Usage #2 is spelled Cachet
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must confess that most of the time I haven't the foggiest idea of what black people are talking about when they are speaking in ebonics. Still, I think that variety in language is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And don't get me started on affect vs. effect or site, sight and cite! On the flip side of the coin, apostrophes, other than contractions just kill me! That's why I never Grammar Nazi(can Grammar Nazi be used as a verb?).

But let me tell you what gets ME is when people get high-and-mighty about affect v. effect, thinking that they're the better educated and correct a situation which was correct from the beginning.

That is to say, effect is ALSO a verb, but its use is restricted to certain situations ("to effect change"), but many people learn a rule ("effect is a noun") and run with it.

I had an English major read my senior thesis once and she thought I used 'effect' wrongly!  I've lost faith in "English" and Journalism majors since then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

kash-et?

kash-it?

ka-shit?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The one I see abused is the " Beck and Call "  thing, rather than the correct--- "beckon call".  What the hell is a beck anyway?  Everyone knows what it means to beckon someone to come.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The one I see abused is the " Beck and Call "  thing, rather than the correct--- "beckon call".  What the hell is a beck anyway?  Everyone knows what it means to beckon someone to come.

I've got bad news for you:

Main Entry: 3beck
Function: noun
1 chiefly Scottish : BOW, CURTSY
2 a : a beckoning gesture b : SUMMONS, BIDDING
- at one's beck and call : ready to obey one's command immediately

www.takeourword.com/TOW186/page4.html
www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/more.html

So, it's actually YOU that is making the error.    Admittedly I've never seen anybody write "beckon call," so I don't know how common this is.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]
MrPSmith you are correct, I knew this, but see so many who misuse those words.

Similar to "Beckon call" I love "French benefits" and "For all intensive purposes".
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

kash-et?

kash-it?

ka-shit?
ka-shay

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

<Snip>

The form of speech used by a Los Angeles rapper is no more incorrect than that of an Oxford professor.

You don't get out of the glacier very much, do you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
You cache (cash-ay) a cache (cash).
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dont sound like a dumbass

that is all

Loose is a verb, as in "the belt is loose."  "Lose" is something that you do, as in "you are going to lose your ass in that game."  

"Something you do" is a verb.  Your first example is an adjective.  Loose can be an adjective "The belt is loose" or a verb "Cry 'Havoc' and loose the Dogs of War!".

"Lose" is always a verb, which is something you do, especially at grammar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
???

And wallet is pronounced wall-ay, as in: I have lots of cache in my wallet.

And VIOLA, he hijacks the thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I gots a ka-chay of awl at my dee-pot by the crik, and I protects it with slightshotted akerns and my car-been.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#20]
You have no idea how poor diction and grammar bugs the living daylights out of me, or how difficult I find it communicating with people who are supposed to be college educated...maybe its my English accent...or just my decent command of the language...as opposed to TV/slang./ebonics/lazy speak
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Cash is what computer cost too much of.

I prefer  kaish
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Doo-doo
Ca-ca
Shit
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I gots a ka-chay of awl at my dee-pot by the crik, and I protects it with slightshotted akerns and my car-been.

Now that I can understand. This man speaks 'Murican!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is all

Yes, and "advice" is something you give or get.  "Advise" is something you do.  Loose is a verbadjective, as in "the belt is loose."  "Lose" is something that you doa verb, as in "you are going to lose your ass in that game."  "Too" means "in addition."  "To" show action toward something.  "Two" is more than one and less than three.

Touche' is pronounced like "too-shay."  Cache is not.

Moot rhymes with boot and is pronounced accordingly.  Moot is NEVER pronounced MUTE.  

The patch of land between lanes of roadway is called a MEDIAN, not a MEDIUM.  "Medium" designates a temperature of steak (140-150degrees), a psychic or paranormal interpreter, or the area between low and high.  The terms are not interchangeable.

I could go on and on, but it's sometimes like casting pearls before swine...  

FIXED
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Johnny Cache.

"Because yore mahn... I walk the lahn..."
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Doo-doo
Ca-ca
Shit

I can't stop laughing. That was good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is all

Yes, and "advice" is something you give or get.  "Advise" is something you do.  Loose is a verb, as in "the belt is loose."  "Lose" is something that you do, as in "you are going to lose your ass in that game."  "Too" means "in addition."  "To" show action toward something.  "Two" is more than one and less than three.

Touche' is pronounced like "too-shay."  Cache is not.

Moot rhymes with boot and is pronounced accordingly.  Moot is NEVER pronounced MUTE.  

The patch of land between lanes of roadway is called a MEDIAN, not a MEDIUM.  "Medium" designates a temperature of steak (140-150degrees), a psychic or paranormal interpreter, or the area between low and high.  The terms are not interchangeable.

I could go on and on, but it's sometimes like casting pearls before swine...  

Tag to find later so as to stop the assbaggery when I post .
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#28]

@ the poor guy who posted the "beckon/call" thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
and clown is not klown....and the is not "da".........tha is all
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ownage was strong . . .

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40402

Man, NObody gets any slack....I was hoping it would be written off as Adult Education..One little murder and I'm Jack the Ripper...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, NObody gets any slack....I was hoping it would be written off as Adult Education..One little murder and I'm Jack the Ripper...

you made me laugh seriously  (if that is possible.)

all in good fun
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
In EOD, we pronounced it as CASH.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something I have always sorta wondered but have always been sorta afraid to ask:  what in the hell is that man doing to that cat?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just messin' witcha, Bro.  I'm not going to give you a link but I made a major blunder earlier today and was suitably kicked in the nads--by about ten people.  

You're right--no one gets away with ANYTHING.  

This has become my favorite site because of the high level of intelligence and the camaradarie of the posters. It IS like a fishbowl, however, and you are being watched. Someone has been everywhere and done everything and will be quick to correct you, advise you, educate you, entertain you, kick your ass, and poke fun...the greatest and never a dull day...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

wasted post 7000 on that....

i started using this handle when i was like 14 and have kept it ever since.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wasted post 7000 on that....

i started using this handle when i was like 14 and have kept it ever since.

2 whole years, gosh that's a long time beav.    
i keed i keed  

I don't know how old you are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#39]
My dear aunt Sally.

"aunt" or "Ant"
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Cache is a French word that the loose translation is "to hide"  That is why it is used in phrases such as a cache of arms and cache memory.  In English we pronounce it "cash" mainly do to its use in the computer industry.  It is really no different then the different pronunciation for Paris when speaking French or English.

The real questions is how do you pronounce "Pecan"?  Is it Pee-can, Pa-con, or Pe-can?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

that is all

I hear ya brother...and can they say "clips" just 1,000,000 more times!!?!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is all

I hear ya brother...and can they say "clips" just 1,000,000 more times!!?!

a little part of me dies everytime i hear clips used when they mean magazine
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Women is the plural of woman, when someone writes women when they mean woman, it makes them look like a retard. Same thing for "convertion" if you convert something, then it ia a conversion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The grunts who actually go out and FIND caches, say "cash-ay".

Therefore it is pronounced "Cash-ay".

I bet some of you HOMOS pronounce the capital of France as "Pah-ree".
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, Thank you!

I'll be here all week!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The grunts who actually go out and FIND caches, say "cash-ay".

Therefore it is pronounced "Cash-ay".

I bet some of you HOMOS pronounce the capital of France as "Pah-ree".

Cincinnatus, I normally like you and your posts, but I really feel you're wrong here.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

And FYI everybody, there are lots of other "caches" besides what our soldiers and marines and sailors (I guess I can leave airmen out? ;-) ) go out and find.  For example, processor cache.

eta: I've got nothing against airmen.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top