Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
FUBAR.

TARFU is more fitting
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Damn, the story is going to become about the miscommunication about the nmbers of survivors instead of the dead miners,  just great.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FUBAR.

TARFU is more fitting

I'm not familiar with that acronym.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FUBAR.

TARFU is more fitting

I'm not familiar with that acronym.

Things Are Really Fucked Up
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What a shame, just think what the families are going through!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's FUBAR
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
From the sounds of things, what happened was that someone leaked (from the command center) that 12 miners were found.  Perhaps it was said that they found 12 survivors.

Of course it spread like wildfire.

Incomplete info.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel bad for that guy in that interview right now, He has the weight of the world on his sholders, and the fucked up media  is looking for a scapegoat
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I feel bad for that guy in that interview right now, He has the weight of the world on his sholders, and the fucked up media  is looking for a scapegoat

Yep, they're practically begging him to point his finger at someone.

I hate listening to stupid media questioning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
wow
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Oops - please pay no attention to the huge headline.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Great answer by Hatfield there.

Reporter asked him why, if they knew 20 minutes after the initial 12 suvivor news that there weren't 12 survivors, why didn't they announce that?

Hatfield told him that he only knew there were fewer than 12 survivors.  Who was he supposed to tell not to celebrate?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
CNN just changed it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is why I HATE the media.. the race to get there first gets the stories WRONG!

As longs as they can hook you into watching and not change the channel, they can correct it later.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh my God, those poor people.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Great answer by Hatfield there.

Reporter asked him why, if they knew 20 minutes after the initial 12 suvivor news that there weren't 12 survivors, why didn't they announce that?

Hatfield told him that he only knew there were fewer than 12 survivors.  Who was he supposed to tell not to celebrate?

He should have said that all weren't alive.

It was wrong to get their hopes up, when he knew that some were gone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The media sucks, and it should be dismantled and rebuilt by people who care about the fucking news .

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The media sucks, and it should be dismantled and rebuilt by people who care about the fucking news .

I agree, but when he went on and on with his PR speak about the financial viability of his company, like a freaking commercial...I was NOT impressed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The man is in shock and grieving............He is basically saying that they are going to learn and grow from the accident

who is that blonde guy on cnn????  he seems like a real asswipe
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The man is in shock and grieving............He is basically saying that they are going to learn and grow from the accident

who is that blonde guy on cnn????  he seems like a real asswipe

He is powerful gay.

The guy did well, and I believe he spoke from the heart MOST of the time...but when asked about the company...he went to the PR talking points about how financially stable it was. That was wrong here, and was the only thing that bothered me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
It appears that there was no official word of survivors
beyond the one that was taken to the hospital .

It looks like it was all leaks and rumors . No one can name
the person who gave them the initial info .

Messed up

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I read that there was a carbon monoxide problem in the area of the mine where they were rescued.

They are reporting that they guy that they have that is the survivor (Randall McCoy) has NO traces of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

This is why I HATE the media.. the race to get there first gets the stories WRONG!

They should have "no comment"ed every media idiot from the minute they got there, until the resue attempt was over.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I read that there was a carbon monoxide problem in the area of the mine where they were rescued.

They are reporting that they guy that they have that is the survivor (Randall McCoy) has NO traces of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

They should have "no comment"ed every media idiot from the minute they got there, until the resue attempt was over.

EXACTLY!!

At least they should have "leaked' that it wasn't all good news...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
The media put the cart before the horse on this one, unconfirmed information..........everything should have been verified

I still have it on, and the media rats want the person who leaked out info, that made them look like a bucnh of dumbasses
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess it is good that I cant watch TV over heard, if it wernt for newspapers and ARFCOM I would never know what is going on in the world.

I really hope that everyone will make it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuckin A, those media assholes dont quit do they
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#27]

That's one helluva job those miners have.
They earn their money, and then some. I hope the survivor get a settlement that allows him to quit that dangerous work and live a normal live. He'll have enough to think about for quite a while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Fuckin A, those media assholes dont quit do they

The problem is that it's all about making a buck for the big news networks now, and ethics don't mean a damn thing anymore.

Sometimes I think we were better off with newsprint and town criers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
sounds like some tom dick or harry witha cell phone jumped the gun.. < at the site > and wanted to spread the news..

also seem the rescuers reported "12 INdividuals "  the crew toook that as 12 people alive... < people reoprted heaing a HUGE roar/cheer from the site>

then tom dick or harry pulled out the cell phone and jumped the gun. < without permission or confermation>

seems no offical report was incorrect..

just someone called someone and it spread from there..............

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#31]
CNN has a guy talking to a couple of family members. What they say is that the company CEO told them that 12 had survived, and then 3 hrs later, tells them that 12 had died.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
CNN has a guy talking to a couple of family members. What they say is that the company CEO told them that 12 had survived, and then 3 hrs later, tells them that 12 had died.

im seeing that ...

some are saying SOMEONE told them....   some are saying the CEO...   no one really seems to know WHO  told them what.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#33]
and someone save this image .. the media will report non confermed shit.   then try to blame someone else for it...

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#34]
In life or death issues, make d*mn sure you got your facts right.  People's emotions are not to be toyed with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
FUBAR.

Major.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow I had on coast to coast AM and all they could talk about was how they were all saved, Hell George was even a bit choked up over it, first time I ever heard him cry on the air. Then I got on here and find out all but one dead,  the poor families ............... no  words for how terrible that must have been for them.

ETA: Not to make light of this situation, but, When I was listening they had on psychic Siliva Brown, all she could talk about was how she knew right off the bat they were all alive, she went on about as a matter of fact. Wish I was listing to hear her back peddle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

George Bush doesn't care about miners!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Miscommunication by rescue team relayed by cell phone to families.

Coal company never reported anything.

Bad information.

Per the press conference.

Yeah, it apparently started when someone overheard a cell phone conversation that the rest of the miners had been found and that the rescue team was "checking vital signs."  It blew up from there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Holy crap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wow I had on coast to coast AM and all they could talk about was how they were all saved, Hell George was even a bit choked up over it, first time I ever heard him cry on the air. Then I got on here and find out all but one dead,  the poor families ............... no  words for how terrible that must have been for them.

ETA: Not to make light of this situation, but, When I was listening they had on psychic Siliva Brown, all she could talk about was how she knew right off the bat they were all alive, she went on about as a matter of fact. Wish I was listing to hear her back peddle.

OH NO WAY!!! I wish I had video of that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Shit.

I felt a lot of relief when I heard that 12 were found alive.

I have coal miners in my family. To think this could happen to them and the friggin' media would screw up...

I wish I had cable TV. In fact, I have NO Tv right now. Now, on to Foxnews.com

This is really sad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:48:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Truly terrible news.

I have another unanswered question. CNN was reporting earlier that the lone surviving miner was wearing his SCBA and it was working when they found him. Those SCBA's only have about 1-2 hours worth of air supply. Something here doesn't add up. All of the other guys were dead, presumably by carbon monoxide. Yet the one survivor had no carbon monoxide in his blood at all.

So what happened here? I have a theory. I think those other miners ended up giving that guy their SCBA's to wear. He had to have been on oxygen nearly the whole time (or at least half the time) to avoid taking in at least a small amount of carbon monoxide. The survivor was also the youngest of the group. Perhaps the older guys, many of which were in their 50's (one was 61) knew their chances were poor and decided that if anyone among them should live, it should be the young guy. Perhaps they had some means of detecting the carbon monoxide danger when it started reaching them (maybe someone started feeling ill, I dunno) and then the survivor was put on oxygen. That seems to be the only plausible explanation I can think of that would explain how he had enough air to last that long down there and take in no poision while all the others were killed by it. If that turns out to be the case, man, what a story that would become.

Again, I have no proof this happened, it's only speculation. But based on what we know (or what we've been told), something like this must have happened in order for such an outcome to be reached.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:03:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I knew it. As soon as I read Drudge's headline last nihgt, something told me "This is wrong. They're all dead." I didn't like the way the "news" was reported.

Damn. Poor families.

Someone should be publicly flogged for a fuckup of this magnitude.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#45]
SOB  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#46]
This is exactly why I never believe shit I hear in the media unless it is accompanied by pictures, and then I am scrutinizing for a spin somewhere.

Ever meet a talking head in person???

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#47]
This sucks!   Sounds like the big story today is going to be the Media trying to cover their own asses now, trying to find a scapegoat for them jumping the gun with unconfirmed information.......
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I agree, but when he went on and on with his PR speak about the financial viability of his company, like a freaking commercial...I was NOT impressed.

+1

In his defense, he was responding to a question of how he could expect the other miners to go back in the mine. He was trying to demonstrate that the company was strong and they were gonna be back after the investigation by state & federal officials. ICG was in full support of the investigation. I think Ben Hatfield (the CEO) was truely hurting. I see him as a decent man. That sneaky looking guy to his left on screen would be the one I didn't like. He just had a weasly appearance. God be with the families and Ben Hatfield.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't know much about the mining industry but didn't the company have something on the order of 200+ violations? I'm not convinced this company is very concerned about its workers' welfare as of yet.

Anyone see the interview with John Casto (friend of some of the miners) talking about the way things went in the church from when they thought 12 survived til when they found out 12 died? Very sad situation. The next witness said a lot of the crowd tried to rush the governor after he told them the bad news.

So what happened here? I have a theory. I think those other miners ended up giving that guy their SCBA's to wear. He had to have been on oxygen nearly the whole time (or at least half the time) to avoid taking in at least a small amount of carbon monoxide. The survivor was also the youngest of the group. Perhaps the older guys, many of which were in their 50's (one was 61) knew their chances were poor and decided that if anyone among them should live, it should be the young guy.

I wondered the same thing this morning when I saw the news. I guess we'll know in a day or so. That would be an amazing act of courage and sacrifice on the part of those 12 men.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#50]
that is just sad, the problem with the media or guberment with there knee-jerk reactions and saying too quickly that they are alive before even knowing all the facts.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top