Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
No question what that doctor did was completely wrong.  But when guys are riding side by side, sometimes three abreast, there's  a point where it becomes unreasonable.   In several states it's illegal to ride side by side.  But even in those where it's legal, where do you draw the line?  Do they have the right to block the lane completely at 15-25MPH under the speed limit?  In my area there's a group of 10-15 guys that ride in a pack every morning, always 2-3 abreast.  It's just not right.... if pedestrians did it they'd be fined in short order.   And these people are complete hypocrites - they claim they have the same rights as motor vehicles, but they break the law when they ride through every stop sign and red light.  I'm fine with people who ride single file (or at least change to single file when a car approaches) and are courteous. But those who just hog the entire road and pay no attention to other vehicles or traffic laws deserve no respect.

The cyclists were travelling at the speed limit at the time of this incident.  If they are going the speed limit, what does it matter if they ride two or three abreast?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I sympathize with the doc, I have seen many, many times where bicycle folks ride 4-abreast blocking the entire lane. I have to wait until the traffic is clear the opposite way to pass them before I can get going again. Bicylce people should ride single file, especially on narrow streets and roads.

They should but that doesn't give him the right to basically assault them with his vehicle...and you feel sorry for him? I hope the next time you make a mistake someone overreacts and physically injures you so I can side with them
Many bicycle riders are obvious to the cars that share the road with them. True, you shouldn't assault them riders, but nevertheless, the bicycle folks are also partly at fault for hogging the whole lane. I teach my children to ride single file on  streets, and to yield to motor vehicles. How many times have you been behind a 100 bicycle folks doing 10-15 MPH, definitely no fun.

I don't understand this whole rationale of "hogging the whole lane" thing.

I mean, if it was gramps in his 60 something Buick doing 20 below, what would you do then?

Run him off the road and attempt to kill him, or wait till no cars are approaching from the opposite lane, and then pass and get on with your life?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Personally, I sympathize with the doc, I have seen many, many times where bicycle folks ride 4-abreast blocking the entire lane. I have to wait until the traffic is clear the opposite way to pass them before I can get going again. Bicylce people should ride single file, especially on narrow streets and roads.

In some of those cases, that's the point.  I've only been riding seriously for a year and all of the close calls I've had have been where people passed me without giving me enough room.  It's like they're more concerned with not touching the center line (even with no opposing traffic) than with not hitting me.  When you're taking up a conspicuously big chunk of the lane, people realize that they have to cross the center line to pass you and in some cases actually give you more room when they pass.  eta: and in some of those cases, the cyclists are just being assholes.  

fwiw, the closest I've come to being hit by a car was a combination of asshole cyclists and an impatient driver.  I was on a 2 lane road (25mph speed limit for the record) with a big group coming the other way, taking up the whole lane.  A woman in a car decided to pass them (she was doing well over the speed limit) and didn't even seem to notice me coming the other way.  It's one of the faster group rides around here (they were definitely doing over 20mph), but they act like pricks.  They don't yield to other bikes any more than they do to cars.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was definitely in the wrong and should be punished, but I have no sympathy for the cyclists. If you don't do everything to protect yourself, if you are totally oblivious, then I do not care when someone hits you.

He pulled in front of them, then brake checked hard.

This.

What precisely should they have done to "protect themselves?"

Quoted:

Sounds like they were riding side by side, in the road. I give those
people enough room when I pass. Some people don't, and others do stupid
shit like this. Protect yourself, don't count on random motorists to be
your friends.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He should be up for a medal, God Damn the Cyclist here in middle tennessee and a bunch of Douche bag Faggots who hog the whole god damn fucking road and wont let you fucking pass. The got what they desirved the cunt tool homo dicksucking fairies. Maybe they will fucking pull over next time and let the cars pass on crowded 2 lane roads where the speed is 55 but we can only go 15 cause you think the whole god damn fucking road belongs to you bitch tit fat horse cocks

You have issues that I don't think I have the time or patience to site. I'm not going to resort to name calling but there are people in Middle Tennessee that have more seats in their pickups than they do teeth in their mouths who throw beer bottles at cyclists to impress their "Uncle Daddy" sitting back home in a rocking chair on the porch. There is so much wrong with what you said...wow, I can't believe there are people like you.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did the world revolve around you?

When did roads revolve arounds bikes and not real traffic?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should be up for a medal, God Damn the Cyclist here in middle tennessee and a bunch of Douche bag Faggots who hog the whole god damn fucking road and wont let you fucking pass. The got what they desirved the cunt tool homo dicksucking fairies. Maybe they will fucking pull over next time and let the cars pass on crowded 2 lane roads where the speed is 55 but we can only go 15 cause you think the whole god damn fucking road belongs to you bitch tit fat horse cocks

You have issues that I don't think I have the time or patience to site. I'm not going to resort to name calling but there are people in Middle Tennessee that have more seats in their pickups than they do teeth in their mouths who throw beer bottles at cyclists to impress their "Uncle Daddy" sitting back home in a rocking chair on the porch. There is so much wrong with what you said...wow, I can't believe there are people like you.

Belive it they are everywhere.
Burn that fucker .I was run off the road by a prick doctor from the Uof IA the Sherrif did nothing except said they would "talk" to him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That doctor will be getting what he deserves, without question.

When I ride my motorcycle I assume every car is on the verge of doing something like that to me.  In fact, if it did happen the driver would probably get away with it, too.  Do cyclists generally ride with a defensive awareness?  It would seem that they don't take very seriously how dangerous riding at 15-25 mph can be.  I wear alot more protective gear at those speeds than they do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel really sorry for you...it must be hard for you

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask any Doc who the bad ones are in town, and they will be tight lipped.

Even though they know who they are, they don't want to be sued.

And let them still practice bad medicine on unsuspecting folks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
He was definitely in the wrong and should be punished, but I have no sympathy for the cyclists. If you don't do everything to protect yourself, if you are totally oblivious, then I do not care when someone hits you.

Sounds like they were riding side by side, in the road. I give those people enough room when I pass. Some people don't, and others do stupid shit like this. Protect yourself, don't count on random motorists to be your friends.

yep, there are these a-holes everywhere and if you ride on 2 wheels you have to be very careful.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Well for an example, NY has spent millions on bicycle paths all over the state.  Don't have to worry about anything other than joggers and other cyclists.  And the one by me is almost always empty, I know because I like to jog it in the summer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It takes a special kind of worthless motherfucker to cheer on what this guy did.  Here's a clue for all the idiots.  Unless you are a police officer, it isn't your job to enforce traffic laws.  Riding a bicycle is dangerous because of people who can't seem to figure out they aren't police officers, judges, juries, and executioners.

*shakes head and backs out of thread*

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The cyclists were travelling at the speed limit at the time of this incident.  If they are going the speed limit, what does it matter if they ride two or three abreast?

I agree for the most part.  But it's very rare that cyclists ride at the speed limit.  There aren't many 25-30MPH zones in my area unless you go into the city.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Since before the automobile.

1890:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel really sorry for you...it must be hard for you

It was mostly a joke man, I actually did a lot of BMX in my younger years, and while thats not cycling, I do have respect for the community. I was just playing off one of the first posts in the thread saying In Before Someone Says The Guy Deserves A Metal.

I like to joke around in GD, my fault if you actually took it serious, though I could see how you would.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Most of the onus is on the person driving the big death machine....just the way it is.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Well for an example, NY has spent millions on bicycle paths all over the state.  Don't have to worry about anything other than joggers and other cyclists.  And the one by me is almost always empty, I know because I like to jog it in the summer.

ask most cyclists, and they'd rather take their chances on the road than try to dodge joggers.  When you're running, do you really want someone passing you doing 20+mph?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That doctor will be getting what he deserves, without question.

When I ride my motorcycle I assume every car is on the verge of doing something like that to me.  In fact, if it did happen the driver would probably get away with it, too.  Do cyclists generally ride with a defensive awareness?  It would seem that they don't take very seriously how dangerous riding at 15-25 mph can be.  I wear alot more protective gear at those speeds than they do.

Too many of them don't.  At their own peril.  I have ridden a bicycle a time or two and you need eyes on the back of your head.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Whoa, Kemo Sabe.

That line you weren't supposed to cross?  It was waaaaay back there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa, Kemo Sabe.

That line you weren't supposed to cross?  It was waaaaay back there.

Read post above

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted: It was mostly a joke man, I actually did a lot of BMX in my younger years, and while thats not cycling, I do have respect for the community. I was just playing off one of the first posts in the thread saying In Before Someone Says The Guy Deserves A Metal.

I like to joke around in GD, my fault if you actually took it serious, though I could see how you would.

The really disturbing part is that we pretty much all believed that someone here would seriously say something like that
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if you actually read your states DMV laws you will see that bicycles and motorcycles ARE REAL traffic and are afforded the same rules of the road!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Some cyclist irritate the hell out of me, but I would never consider doing something like this, hell., he could killed them. I hope he gets what he deserves.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

ask most cyclists, and they'd rather take their chances on the road than try to dodge joggers.  When you're running, do you really want someone passing you doing 20+mph?

Then explain why the cyclists in NY were the ones who campaigned heavily for the paths.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should but that doesn't give him the right to basically assault them with his vehicle...and you feel sorry for him? I hope the next time you make a mistake someone overreacts and physically injures you so I can side with them
Many bicycle riders are obvious to the cars that share the road with them. True, you shouldn't assault them riders, but nevertheless, the bicycle folks are also partly at fault for hogging the whole lane. I teach my children to ride single file on  streets, and to yield to motor vehicles. How many times have you been behind a 100 bicycle folks doing 10-15 MPH, definitely no fun.

I don't understand this whole rationale of "hogging the whole lane" thing.

I mean, if it was gramps in his 60 something Buick doing 20 below, what would you do then?

Run him off the road and attempt to kill him, or wait till no cars are approaching from the opposite lane, and then pass and get on with your life?

Safety.  When riding single file, idiots THINK they can pass by squeezing by.  They become fixated on the cyclist, often from rage and fail to see the oncoming car.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bicycles predate cars.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It takes a special kind of worthless motherfucker to cheer on what this guy did.  Here's a clue for all the idiots.  Unless you are a police officer, it isn't your job to enforce traffic laws.  Riding a bicycle is dangerous because of people who can't seem to figure out they aren't police officers, judges, juries, and executioners.

*shakes head and backs out of thread*

Amen.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since before the automobile.

1890:

http://foundsf.org/images/0/00/Transit1$bay-city-wheelmen-1890.jpg

too-shay, sir.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing, I bet there are more cyclists on Adopt a Road programs than motorists, cyclists have a right to the roads too Genius

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted: It was mostly a joke man, I actually did a lot of BMX in my younger years, and while thats not cycling, I do have respect for the community. I was just playing off one of the first posts in the thread saying In Before Someone Says The Guy Deserves A Metal.

The really disturbing part is that we pretty much all believed that someone here would seriously say something like that

there's always the "I was just kidding" thing to fall back on
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zn6iiv.jpg

This.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good. He should go down for attempted murder.

Wait what ? Attempted murders, no way. Talk about reaching.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not to mention, a cyclist wants to go 30 MPH UNDER the speed limit and then bitch that they have the right of way.  

Douche bag
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zn6iiv.jpg

This.

let me guess, you two are related?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Bullshit like this is why i spent two years looking for a place within 200 yds of the Fox River Trail, which gives me a 7.5 mile bike ride to work that is literally 98.5% on the bike path.   24/7/365 all weather all temperature.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there's always the "I was just kidding" thing to fall back on

Find some of my other GD posts... You see that it flows with what I do... but take it how you will

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
if THEY had brake checked, and he ran over their asses, he would have been crucified.  bikes can stop quicker than cars.   he brake checked, and they rammed it up his ass, he gets crucified.

double standard?

simply another pompous bicyclist vs. road raging car driver incident, just with more publicity.

if they want the same rights as cars, follow the same rules and accept the same consequences as cars.  if he had brake checked in front of another car, and they hit him, it's the fault of the car in the rear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
if THEY had brake checked, and he ran over their asses, he would have been crucified.  bikes can stop quicker than cars.   he brake checked, and they rammed it up his ass, he gets crucified.

double standard?

simply another pompous bicyclist vs. road raging car driver incident, just with more publicity.

if they want the same rights as cars, follow the same rules and accept the same consequences as cars.  if he had brake checked in front of another car, and they hit him, it's the fault of the car in the rear.

you're missing the whole "confession" thing

if you were behind me traveling at a safe distance and observing the posted speed limit and I intentionally "locked" my brakes you would hit me, look at the whole situation not just one minute fact

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

double standard?

I believe this is called the "swoop and squat".   Anyone who does this to anybody gets their manhood tenderized.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My.002 cents

I am a dedicated cyclist. I plan my weekends around getting my ride on, to the exclusion of many things.

That being said there is NO FRIGGEN WAY you will ever get me off of my bike trail and onto a road bike.

NO WAY.

Ever soccer mom and vapor headed teen is either on the phone yapping or now.. even worse.. texting!!!

Unless a tree falls on me on the trail... or a deer jumps out and hits me, im safe barring mechanical failure of catastrophic proportions.

Actually Im going to have to say the most dangerous thing on the trail are people who bring their small kids on bikes onto the trail. Those kids weave ALLL over the place with no rhyme or reason and I cringe every time I see one. Just the idea of running over a kid makes me ill  

My favorite though is the large family groups that will block THE WHOLE DAMN TRAIL without a single thought for other people...standing still and yapping at eachother, with no care that others are using the trail.

I thank god that I have an exceptionally loud voice and the will to unleash it

But guys on the road? No thanks ..  im not gonna gety run over or dragged under someones car because they spilled a latte on themselvs or were yapping  or texting on the phone.

And for those roadies that ride 3x abreast or more?

You guys suck... that cant be legal.. in michigan you have a right to so many inches of the shoulder of the road and that is  it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to ride in large groups and we always rode single file. We took turns leading. When I ride by myself, I have plenty of respect for a 3,000-4,000 pound vehicle. I'm not on some macho trip.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to mention, a cyclist wants to go 30 MPH UNDER the speed limit and then bitch that they have the right of way.  

Testimony in the trial indicated that the cyclists were traveling the posted speed limit.

on certain roads you are required to maintain the posted speed limit or move to the side, other roads you are required to maintain your position in the lane regardless if you're "impeding" traffic

cyclists and the Amish may frustrate some drivers but what's your hurry? You're not that important

Why do you feel the need to operate a slow ass vehicle that inconveniences everybody else on the road?  You're not that important.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some on here will put him up for a medal.

Yep, according to some it's okay to run over a cyclist, but God forbid should a woman choose to have an abortion regardless if she was raped or not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testimony in the trial indicated that the cyclists were traveling the posted speed limit.

on certain roads you are required to maintain the posted speed limit or move to the side, other roads you are required to maintain your position in the lane regardless if you're "impeding" traffic

cyclists and the Amish may frustrate some drivers but what's your hurry? You're not that important

Why do you feel the need to operate a slow ass vehicle that inconveniences everybody else on the road?  You're not that important.

let's see dumbass...for transportation, fitness, to slow down and see the world, as long as I am obeying the law I expect others to do the same
so now take off, eh?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of idiot cyclists around here. I honk and yell at them from time to time. Some of them even recognize me because I'm a cyclist, too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if the bicyclists learned their lesson, or if it's going to be a complete waste of time to send the guy to jail.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm surprised they have not made a video game where you run over bicyclists.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Paperboy

oh wait...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Paperboy

oh wait...

I LOVED that game.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top