Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is useless...without pictures of Brazillian....women.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Trouble with a nuclear boat is the size!!! They are big and need a lot of water… a 2,000 ton DE boat is considered big… they are ideal for inserting SpecOps forces.

ANdy

TOTALLY agree with you there.  I'd actually love to have a few, as well as some 'light' carriers.

I'm just afraid that the moment we build some, we'll stop building the big stuff.  And that worry is enough for me to oppose it.  

That is the danger… and yes, the USN is also doing some studies on a conventionally powered 'light' carrier too!

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
USS Ronald Reagan
Dec 8, 1994 Contract awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding
Feb 12, 1998 Keel laid
Oct 1, 2000 Precommissioning Unit established
March 4, 2001 Christened by Mrs. Nancy Reagan
May 5, 2003 First underway
July 12, 2003 Commissioned
July 23, 2004 Arrived at homeport in San Diego, CA

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take is 8-10 years to pump out a carrier? (Yes I know a carrier takes considerably longer to make)

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Woh! Google that.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Conventional meaning diesel electric. Long ago outdated. No threat whatsoever. Good training sub.

Diesel electric boats are great for coastal defence. They don't have a great range submerged but they're more of a sit and lie in wait weapons system. We looked at building another generation of diesel boats for inexpensive coastal defence back in the 80's but the nuclear-brained admirals and the $$$$$ driven shipyards killed the concept. You can build 10 diesel boats for the cost of one Seawolf. Different platform, different mission. Our attack boats prowl around the world looking for trouble and protecting our fleet. There are very few nations that need the kind of force projection.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brazil wants to be the strongest of the South American countries.  <snip>

Isn't that kind of like wanting to be the smartest Stooge?

Brazil is refferred to as the regional economic powerhouse in South America.  That is a significant amount of power to them.  You might not have noticed.  They are certainly enjoying it, however.

Turn your humor switch to the "on" position.

I've been to Brazil numerous times. While it is indeed the largest economy in SA, it is still barely above a Third World country. And yes, I have been to plenty of true third world countries to be able to compare.

My apologies for offending.  I will not argue that they are a 3rd world country, only that they are on the up and up.  I have never made it that far south, but after seeing this months Playboy, I think I shall have to make that trip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brazil wants to be the strongest of the South American countries.  <snip>

Isn't that kind of like wanting to be the smartest Stooge?

Brazil is refferred to as the regional economic powerhouse in South America.  That is a significant amount of power to them.  You might not have noticed.  They are certainly enjoying it, however.

Turn your humor switch to the "on" position.

I've been to Brazil numerous times. While it is indeed the largest economy in SA, it is still barely above a Third World country. And yes, I have been to plenty of true third world countries to be able to compare.

My apologies for offending.  I will not argue that they are a 3rd world country, only that they are on the up and up.  I have never made it that far south, but after seeing this months Playboy, I think I shall have to make that trip.

The clothing, or lack therof, that the local women wear is absolutely astounding.

I strongly suggest the trip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Brazil is one of the Countries that Putin hopes to form a Strategic Alliance with

www.indiadaily.com/editorial/1627.asp
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I likes dem Brazeeel womenz!. A true story--- Once I was sent to a two day course on -- get this-- 'bearings and seals'  The guy that taught the course was an ex navy submariner. He told us that --1) subs contained the most advanced technical knowhow of any nation that had ever built one, and that was why when one went down, it was a free for all to get it back, with every friggin' country that had the means trying to snag it first.  2) seals and bearings are some of the most important parts of a sub (makes sense), and that many seals and bearing systems are still top secret! With that said, we shut up and the class went ahead. It was indeed interesting, and did indeed take two full days. I could never have imagined the complexities of some of the equipment that we use. Like everyone else, I thought it was pretty simple---NOT!-- Another thought, and this has to do with the quality of the FN Imbel recievers made in Itajuba, Brazil. Just where DID most of the Nazi's run off to after the war?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just where DID most of the Nazi's run off to after the war?

Argentina
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
did not even know they have a navy

sub must be to help w/ the deforestation
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
USS Ronald Reagan
Dec 8, 1994 Contract awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding
Feb 12, 1998 Keel laid
Oct 1, 2000 Precommissioning Unit established
March 4, 2001 Christened by Mrs. Nancy Reagan
May 5, 2003 First underway
July 12, 2003 Commissioned
July 23, 2004 Arrived at homeport in San Diego, CA

navysite.de/cvn/cvn76const_1.jpg
www.submepp.navy.mil/JFMM%20Photos/cvn76new.jpg

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take is 8-10 years to pump out a carrier? (Yes I know a carrier takes considerably longer to make)

7 years, not too bad.  Which portion of the ship takes the longest to construct?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
it's a secret CIA plot to deliver more cocaine into US cities, keeping rich white executives happy and thieving crackheads down under the thumb of The Man.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hpoe that this is the crew
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTF is their purpose for building submarines??

Pirates and drug dealers .
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Our collins class subs have "sunk" 1 or 2 of ur carriers.

Prob is, they are fucking defective!  THey r having so many problems like hulls cracking, etc, but they are a design fault or something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#18]
How deep to subs typically run?   660ft doesnt seem like alot.   I have zero knowledge of submarines and just curious.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#19]
you are correct with the time it takes to build a carrier.  Building a carrier is the same as building a city.  

It is a floating island and Regan is our new baby :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can well understand that subs use secret seal and bearing designs!

Anyone who considers the requirement for prop shafts (and other things) to stick through the hull and be absolutely, positively, and totally watertight,  and failsafe under not just very high water pressures
but under battle conditions and while sealing a shaft that's carrying umpteen thousand horsepower,
is going to realize that the designs BETTER be really something!

I hadn't thought about that much before,  but I'm sure thinking about it now!  Submarines must be
their own unique technological environment.

I have the greatest respect for those who drive submarines.   To drive something with no windows is nothing short of alarming to me.

CJ

The bearing on most motors/pumps on sub are incredible. I spent 3 years on shore duty in Groton fixing subs and the bearings go through QA that you wouldn't believe. You can buy them in the civilian world but you sure wouldn't want to pay the price ! LOL ! The easy way to tell is the model number is followed by "NT" for noise tested. Every NT bearing set is tested, not a random test but every bearing. If they don't meet standards they go in the pile of "normal" bearings. A set of 318W bearings goes for something like $20 but once it goes through testing and is certified, the price climbs to almost $1000. With the exception of the Seawolf class, a diesel boat on batteries is quieter than anything else in our submarine fleet. Besides it would create a whole new generation of diesel boat sailors and then can once again proudly wear the DBF patch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Lula is a communist, he has been building up his armed forces on the wink and sly, he used Sandanista tactics to fool the populace to elect him. He quickly sided with Fidel and Hugo against the USA, he spreads rumors that the US will ravage the Amazon Basin of its wealth, totally false. He has begun the desaramento, Draconian gun laws that leave the middle and working class people helpless against favela druglords and corrupt police....I travel to Brasil at least 6 times a year, the women are outstanding, when you are with a Brazilian woman, any other woman is third rate........
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]
That death trap will last as long as it takes one of ours to sail there and smoke it....should the need ever arise. What a waste of resources in a nation of poverty and hyperinflation.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top