Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BSA began to die in the 1990s when BSA leadership began to actively downplay Boy Scouting’s military roots.  And women should never have been allowed to be Scoutmasters or Asst Scoutmasters.

At the Troop level, It is an experiential learning and leadership development program for pre-teen/teenage boys to learn Western Civilization’s values  under the tutelage of men.  Boys at that age don’t listen to moms, especially around their peers.

Too many people think it is just “camping club” or “knots and forst aid youth group.”  It was one of the best things about 20th Century US culture, and National HQ slit its throat in the name of Diversity and Inclusion to keep corporate donations rolling in.
View Quote
Yup.  Although the rejection of the military roots seemed to start in the wake of Vietnam and the anti-military sentiment that arose therefrom.  The Oscar Renteria uniforms, IIRC, were designed in the 1980s to try and make Scout uniforms less martial in appearance.

The youth orgs that inspired scouting were directly involved in support of a military operation (defense against a siege).

If the whole thing goes under in the near future, I wonder if it will be possible to start a new organization utilizing its name and traditions.  Sadly, I don't see it being revived in the manner in which it was started, by boys organizing themselves into troops and such and then asking men to help guide them after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Phillips must be turning in his grave
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an incredible time at Philmont around ‘85

So sad
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup.  Although the rejection of the military roots seemed to start in the wake of Vietnam and the anti-military sentiment that arose therefrom.  The Oscar Renteria uniforms, IIRC, were designed in the 1980s to try and make Scout uniforms less martial in appearance.

The youth orgs that inspired scouting were directly involved in support of a military operation (defense against a siege).

If the whole thing goes under in the near future, I wonder if it will be possible to start a new organization utilizing its name and traditions.  Sadly, I don't see it being revived in the manner in which it was started, by boys organizing themselves into troops and such and then asking men to help guide them after the fact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BSA began to die in the 1990s when BSA leadership began to actively downplay Boy Scouting’s military roots.  And women should never have been allowed to be Scoutmasters or Asst Scoutmasters.

At the Troop level, It is an experiential learning and leadership development program for pre-teen/teenage boys to learn Western Civilization’s values  under the tutelage of men.  Boys at that age don’t listen to moms, especially around their peers.

Too many people think it is just “camping club” or “knots and forst aid youth group.”  It was one of the best things about 20th Century US culture, and National HQ slit its throat in the name of Diversity and Inclusion to keep corporate donations rolling in.

National going belly up & decentralizing is the future for the BSA. But it’s going to be a painful path getting there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Losing 20 % of their membership when LDS split over girls didn’t help their cash flow....
View Quote
This.  Being tranny/mentally ill/faggot lovers is not the way scouts should have gone.  Fuck BSA.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Holy cow. What was it like riding horses to school, grandpa?  

A bit of my childhood nostalgia:

Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Trail Life USA looks interesting, but it doesn't have the brand recognition.  Maybe that's okay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don’t we just start a new one
Trail Life USA looks interesting, but it doesn't have the brand recognition.  Maybe that's okay.
I’ve known since I was a kid that if I ever had a son I would want to put him in Boy Scouts. Fast forward to today when they’ve gone off the cultural cliff, and my son is old enough to join. I chose to instead join up with the local Trail Life USA troop. Has 20-25 boys with a baseline of quarterly camping trips for the youngest and a commitment to keeping God and Biblical values in the program.

Hopefully it will gain brand recognition over time, but regardless, it feels like what the scouts used to be so I’m happy and my boy enjoys it. Maybe scouts will put Philmont on the auction block one of these days...
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-596004.jpg
View Quote
Loved those Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Local camp got sold to excavating company for a sand and gravel pit. Beautiful piece of land. Just like a kids movie, everyone fought it, but the big shots up top sold it for a fraction of what it was worth before anyone new what had happened.

Also pulled our boy out over a year ago. Local packs were shit shows. Was embarrassed to be associated  with the group.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Raping kids should cost them more than a mortgage.

From reading most of these lawsuits, the BSA is no different than the Catholic Church. Coverups, lies, and abuse
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The liberal objective of destroying the once-great BSA is nearly complete.
View Quote
Yep.

Don't worry, though. They'll find another one to destroy when BSA is gone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Sad
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My son has been in the Boy Scouts for a little over a year coming out of Cub Scouts.

No, I dont like the way it’s going as a whole, but my son still likes it and it’s better than nothing. I guess at least in East Tn it hasn’t got as liberal yet, but until then I’m going to keep him in it and keep fighting the good fight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-596004.jpg
Loved those https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/527EB9DA-2392-4FB4-84BC-BB08396603C0_jpeg-1170310.JPG
Yep. They were great.

I still thumb through my old Fieldbook on occasion.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Raping kids should cost them more than a mortgage.

From reading most of these lawsuits, the BSA is no different than the Catholic Church. Coverups, lies, and abuse
View Quote
This...
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry.

But the real BSA is dead.
View Quote
Yep. The local council just sold off the scout ranch I worked at thru high school .  Another once great organization ruined by liberalism/progressivism.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The BSA has all but been destroyed by social Marxism and internal failures.

Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked at Philmont for 4 summers working the gun camps in the backcountry, this news is very concerning. BSA has proven time and time that they cannot be trusted with big decisions or money. Over the years BSA national office has found ways to mess things up at Philmont. There have been many times that I wished that the ranch was a completely separate program not assocaciated with the BSA.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Leadership is intentionally killing the organization, there’s no other explanation.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
My son is a Eagle and told me to throw his award in the trash. I kept it as he might want it back one day.

The BSA compromised their values and will reap that which they sowed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
They should sell everything to a independent group and then just sign a 50-100yr lease.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The BSA said Friday that it has no plans to sell the property, and that the land is being used as collateral to help meet financial needs that include rising insurance costs related to sex-abuse litigation.

However, the move dismayed a member of Philmont's oversight committee, who says it violates agreements made when the land was donated in 1938. The BSA disputed his assertion.

Top BSA officials signed the document in March, but members of the Philmont Ranch Committee only recently learned of the development, according to committee member Mark Stinnett.

In a memo sent to his fellow members, Stinnett  a Colorado-based lawyer  decried the financial maneuver and the lack of consultation with the committee.

"I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am to be the one to break this news to you," Stinnett wrote. "The first point of the Scout Law is 'A Scout is trustworthy.' I am distressed beyond words at learning that our leaders apparently have not been."

"But I am even more distressed to learn that Waite Phillips' magnificent gift has now been put at risk," Stinnett added.
The committee strikes again.

BSA has gotten into the habit of making decisions in secret, even leaving out committee members (IE-LDS members) to make controversial decisions.  This is what they did when they made the decision to allow homosexual leaders in.

Bets on whether they have actually promised a sale on Philmont to some billionaire or corporation.

Maybe when they run out of money to pay to the 'victims' and they are trying to hock everything then the LDS Church will be willing to buy Philmont and allow it to keep being a Boy Scout camp.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#24]
former eagle scout here ashamed of what has happened to this once awesome organization!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Robert Gates' legacy will be having killed off two great American hallmarks; the Boy Scouts of America and the F22 program.  What an asshole.
View Quote
Odd as he gave my son a coin for earning his Eagle Scout.

Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Why is everyone bitching in this thread glossing over the sexual abuse that is the root cause of the problem? They had to put the ranch up for collateral because some people in the organization are predators that can't keep their hands off of the kids they are supposed to be mentoring. Even the AP article passed over the sexual abuse to reminisce about the good old days of the ranch. It wasn't liberals, girls, gays, or a mother's participation as a leader that caused this. It was adults molesting children. It is that simple. Stop raping kids and keep the ranch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Where is your OA patch??

Much sadness...
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why is everyone bitching in this thread glossing over the sexual abuse that is the root cause of the problem? They had to put the ranch up for collateral because some people in the organization are predators that can't keep their hands off of the kids they are supposed to be mentoring. Even the AP article passed over the sexual abuse to reminisce about the good old days of the ranch. It wasn't liberals, girls, gays, or a mother's participation as a leader that caused this. It was adults molesting children. It is that simple. Stop raping kids and keep the ranch.
View Quote
Unfortunately you're right, the BSA covered up abuse for decades. Their youth protection program was a outdated and just mearly a checkbox for adult leaders. Up until 10 years ago when I had to go through the youth protection training they were still using materials from the 80s, the videos they showed had become comical. The BSA is gonna take a beating over the next decade as all the abuse cases make their way through the courts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is merely one issue among many. The reason BSA is hocking Philmont to pay claims is because of the lost revenue from declining membership — a problem BSA national HQ caused by letting in gay kids, gay adult leaders, trannies, and girls despite the membership vociferously protesting those decisions.

And now BSA is trying to address lost membership revenue by nearly doubling the annual membership fee less than two months before that fee is due.  Every unit has to “recharter” by the end of the year, meaning unit leaders have to get the membership to pay a few weeks in advance. So effectively that means parents found out their kid’s fee jumped 45% on only 2-4 weeks notice.  That is painful for low-income families.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a third generation Eagle.

I have a 4 year old daughter.  When she was born I was sad that I wouldn't be able to participate in Scouts with her.  Figured she could joing Girl Scouts and I'd show her Boy Scout stuff on our own campouts.

Then this change came along, and I was excited that my family could have another Eagle.  But yeah...the more I've looked into the organization (and how it seems to be dying out fast) I will probably stick to my 'home school' version of scouting.

(Should add: I visited Philmont in July of 1990.  Earned my Eagle shortly before that trip.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That is merely one issue among many. The reason BSA is hocking Philmont to pay claims is because of the lost revenue from declining membership — a problem BSA national HQ caused by letting in gay kids, gay adult leaders, trannies, and girls despite the membership vociferously protesting those decisions.

And now BSA is trying to address lost membership revenue by nearly doubling the annual membership fee less than two months before that fee is due.  Every unit has to “recharter” by the end of the year, meaning unit leaders have to get the membership to pay a few weeks in advance. So effectively that means parents found out their kid’s fee jumped 45% on only 2-4 weeks notice.  That is painful for low-income families.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSA’s membership problems have existed for a long time. Their numbers held relatively stable between 1970-1990, then started tanking. Between 2000 and 2015 BSA membership declined by 34%.

I really don’t know the answer to their declining membership numbers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
BSA began to die in the 1990s when BSA leadership began to actively downplay Boy Scouting’s military roots.  
View Quote
IMO that probably started in the '70s as Vietnam was winding down.

In the early 60s some of us used to iron GI creases into our uniforms and the council would get a lot of WW2/Korean vintage surplus stuff like packs, pack boards, Lister bags etc.

In the 70s when I was in the service I came home and some of the kids told me about what was going on in the old troop and while it was pretty much the BSA I did notice differences. They didn't visit military stuff anymore. When I was a kid we stayed at military bases, visited ships etc and that seemed to have died out or at least was dying off.

Later in basic I used a knot of some sort to tie a shelter half and the drill sergeant asked me where I learned it and I told him I was a Boy Scout.

He asked me if I knew the difference between the Boy Scouts and the Army and I innocently asked him "The Boy Scouts have adult supervision?" He turned purple.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They don’t. It’s now Scouts BSA.
View Quote
I asked them what BSA stood for.  Silence.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I hung up my ASM shirt when our troop became co-ed
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the reasons why I’m encouraging my son to get his Eagle as fast as he can is because he’s already said when girls join the troop he’s done.

Unless something weird happens, he should finish it this spring.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm an Eagle who has been to Philmont and Sea Base.

What a shame.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your Troop went coed? That is interesting since girls are not allowed in boy Troops.  Troops are still single-gender.  Either your committee and SM are violating BSA policy or you are FOS.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

BSA’s membership problems have existed for a long time. Their numbers held relatively stable between 1970-1990, then started tanking. Between 2000 and 2015 BSA membership declined by 34%.

I really don’t know the answer to their declining membership numbers.
View Quote
Not raping kids would help.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lot's of ignorance in this thread.

There is not a single girl in any of the 30 or so troops around me other than the dedicated girls troop.
View Quote
Cool.  So it's still Boy Scouts?  My bad....
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Losing 20 % of their membership when LDS split over girls didn’t help their cash flow....
View Quote
The girls thing was just the final straw.  I think the gays were what pushed the Mormons away.  They just hadn't finalized until the girls pushed them over the edge.

Time will tell if BSA is in the complete crapper in another year or two.  My gut tells me they're fucked.

My son has worked at a council summer camp the last two years.  This summer was massively understaffed because they couldn't find enough workers and camper attendance was down significantly.  I'm afraid next year will be worse.

My wife and I have both worked at Philmont and our son's applying to work there next summer.  I'm afraid his experience will be a shell of what our's was.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh no! How will all those kids earn their popcorn panhandling badges now?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is not a single girl in any of the 30 or so troops around me other than the dedicated girls troop.
View Quote
There are a lot of mixed troops.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your Troop went coed? That is interesting since girls are not allowed in boy Troops.  Troops are still single-gender.  Either your committee and SM are violating BSA policy or you are FOS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are troops out here going co-ed in violation of the policy.  One of the former scoutmasters of my troop is the scoutmaster of one such troop chartered out of his Temple.  Told me that if the IDF can be co-ed, so can the troop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, so your statement disproves what exactly?  Be very specific.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Our 40yo troop is down to 20 members, 15 active

We can't find new members
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I seem to remember a thread awhile back here where some were talking about the positive changes that were happening, and how the BSA (or whatever they call themselves now) are being proactive and keeping with the times.  About how us oldtimers are all bigoted.

How's that all working out?
View Quote
I'm on the Philmont Staff Association Facebook group.

There are any number of them pulling the "OK boomer" line when someone points out that BSA is dying because of the suicidal "inclusion" policy decisions they've made.

Plenty of useful idiots who don't understand the "get woke, go broke" reality and will continue to double down.  The stuff they loved about scouting is what their own PC demands have killed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Our 40yo troop is down to 20 members, 15 active

We can't find new members
View Quote
Mine is further down along that path.  Soon to be no more.  When I started in it as a boy it probably had over a hundred boys, most of them active, including a good number of Eagle Scouts that stayed on to help lead.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top