BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is pretty much the staple of every single "generation" thread in existence or will ever be in existence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny how you think a single anecdotal example is representative of everyone in a single generation and has never been seen in anyone outside of that generation.
That is pretty much the staple of every single "generation" thread in existence or will ever be in existence.

The Angsty Boomer Haters, are inevitably guys who grew up with successful parents and grandparents, became complacent, and are now realizing their own failure to achieve.    

It’s amazing how often that story is retold.

To be fair, unchecked immigration has stacked the deck against every generation.    It forces a competition for jobs and for resources.  

In my own career, I see Immigrants getting affirmative action hiring preference.   How is this even possible?     It defies logic, yet it exists.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Add in the increased cost of insurance for increased DUIs/uninsured motorists accidents, the overwhelmed local schools with a flood a new students and increased property taxes to fund it, the low end portion of the citizen labor market that used to employ roofers, etc. now on SSDI and welfare, plus stealing shit from your garage or sawing off your catalytic converter, etc., and the ERs/hospitals flooded with non paying non-citizens-
And you can possibly start grasping the negative impacts to us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Curious how immigrants simultaneously cause depressed wages AND inflation?

I hate that I have to type this out:      1.Depressed Wages:  Greater  Supply of workers allows for lower wages to be paid.    

2. Greater Demand (Houses, for example) causes higher prices (Rental and Purchase).    

Add in the increased cost of insurance for increased DUIs/uninsured motorists accidents, the overwhelmed local schools with a flood a new students and increased property taxes to fund it, the low end portion of the citizen labor market that used to employ roofers, etc. now on SSDI and welfare, plus stealing shit from your garage or sawing off your catalytic converter, etc., and the ERs/hospitals flooded with non paying non-citizens-

Or you can believe every immigrant has an ethical, hard working, self supporting, productive American waiting inside them to emerge when their feet touch the magic dirt of the USA. /sarc
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends on *WHEN* in his life he got that inheritance.

If he rolled that into an IRA or some other retirement accounts...say 10 years into his career... that $90K is going to boost his initial investment and cause massive implications for his networth at retirement because of the compounding interest.
If he got the inheritance at retirement age... then I'd agree with you.
View Quote
Absolutely.  I assumed that he would get it later in life because that's probably the biggest likelihood.

If he got it earlier, it wouldn't be 90k since the 90k figure assumed today's dollars.  That was part of the original scenario (64k in 2007).  But regardless, your point stands.  64k at age 42 would be nice.  That would be a little more than 10% of his life earnings to date, and most likely allow the boomer to pay off his mortgage, if he still had one.  Remember, he got that mortgage in the 80's.  Investments would be a better route in hindsight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On the Dave Ramsey show there have been several callers where Boomer parents got their kids to cosign loans for them... and then didn't do shit to pay the loan, thus fucking over their own kids.
View Quote
The reverse happens too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or you can believe every immigrant has an ethical, hard working, self supporting, productive American waiting inside them to emerge when their feet touch the magic dirt of the USA. /sarc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

I hate that I have to type this out:      1.Depressed Wages:  Greater  Supply of workers allows for lower wages to be paid.    

2. Greater Demand (Houses, for example) causes higher prices (Rental and Purchase).    

Robert Tibbetts was tickled pink that his daughter was anal raped by an illegal, there certainly is a subset of boomers that are more concerned with what’s hip and cool rather than the future of their country.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, a motivated kid right outta high school could probably be making 6 figures within 2-4 years.

I found no takers in the pool of 18-25 y/o people I knew that had no career or education plans.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youngest one is currently a sophomore.

Try again, maybe?

Show us her tuition statement. How much did it compare to your college tuition?

I didn't go to college. I found another path to a comfortable life. One still available, by the way. But hardly anyone wants to work out in the elements or have a very unconventional schedule anymore, too.

Yep, a motivated kid right outta high school could probably be making 6 figures within 2-4 years.

I found no takers in the pool of 18-25 y/o people I knew that had no career or education plans.      

Honest question.
What career or careers would provide like that ?
My nephew is 19 and looking for guidance and at least in non major cities I just don’t see it.    $40-60k in construction or something similar sure.    
Now in major cites where the cost of living is insane I could see it as a possibility.    
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty based of boomers going to Andrew Tate for advice on this topic
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is very true.  If you're competing for these jobs at age 25+, you have failed and can blame yourself.

If some of these guys want to go rack chickens at the chicken plant, work sheet rock crews, or do landscaping...they certainly can.

View Quote

Tell me what you think about illegal and legal H1B Indian immigrants and their degree farms
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honest question.
My nephew is 19 and looking for guidance and at least in non major cities I just don't see it.    $40-60k in construction or something similar sure.    
Now in major cites where the cost of living is insane I could see it as a possibility.    
View Quote

well, I just put shit in boxes at Amazon, and sheer hard work and determination has my base salary at 120k before OT or bonus.

or maybe I'm a computer programmer I forgot
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m not going to get to wrapped up in regards to Boomers, but far be it from me not to throw a jab.
 The MBA Boomers really did fuck is long term in regards to outsourcing and political issues.  People can debate all they want about what they’ve done wrong, but what’s done is done.  
    Make no mistake. They haven’t exactly done the younger generation any favors.
    The Boomers and Silent Generation were the ones on guard when all these massive 3 letter agencies took hold.  Fucking Hippies
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's funny how you think a single anecdotal example is representative of everyone in a single generation and has never been seen in anyone outside of that generation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep making assumptions, but no. He never talked about "his" inheritance. It wasn't an extremely valuable property or anything like that and likely wouldn't have done anything for my friend....
Besides, my friend is well off... and he has several siblings. Had the inheritance been split between his uncles, and then his brothers... the amount he would have POSSIBLY had passed on to him would have been miniscule. A drop in the bucket for him.
An amount of money he wouldn't have given a shit about.
It was the principle of a man choosing to leave everything to some illegal immigrant he was friends with, rather than his own kids...

Granted... his grandpa was a bit of a scoundrel, and didn't lead an honest life (in and out of prison) and was absent from my friend's dad's childhood (which was probably for the best, from the stories my friend heard from his dad's step-brothers... who WERE unfortunately raised by him)
I guess grandpa, in his old age, mellowed out... but still never cared much for his own kids, and ended up leaving them nothing... instead leaving it to his illegal immigrant friend.

My friend's dad somehow managed to become a decent, hard working devout Christian man, despite having such a terrible example for a father.

I wouldn't care much for my kids if all they saw was dollar signs
It wasn't about the money. I already told you. His dad was upset because the idea of his father leaving everything to an illegal immigrant, rather than to his own kids... is like a slap in the face.
If his dad had donated it all to a worthy charity, his dad likely wouldn't have had an issue with it.

Funny you empathize with the Boomer, even after I told that the boomer dad was a literal scoundrel who literally led a life of crime and was either absent from his kids life or downright abusive towards his other kids.

But Boomers gonna Boom.

By and large, it was the Boomer generation that supported the mass migration that started occurring in the 70s.

Every Generation had it better than their kids, until the fucking Boomer generation showed up.
All because Boomers wanted cheap labor, even if it meant increased crime, more rapefugees, and shittier economic situations for their kids.

My anecdotal example is funny (in a tragic sense) in the sense that it serves as an analogy for what the Boomer generation did on an economic scale. It was basically an individual anecdote, that was analogous to what happened on the macroscale.
That is, selling out all of our opportunities to foreigners, thus screwing over their own progeny.

To put it simply... Boomer Dad giving away inherritance to an illegal immigrant, rather than his own kids compared to Boomers sending every job that wasn't nailed down, to China, and importing Illegals, Migrant Workers, Guest Workers, H1B Visa workers etc etc for the few jobs that can't be shipped overseas.

The beautiful poetic justice, is the phenomena of Boomerang kids. I don't have much sympathy for *A LOT* of people of my generation who stupid go along with the Pro-Mass migration bullshit their parents indoctrinated them into. Our generation would likely be able to afford homes if immigration wasn't driving up demand. In the UK, the housing situation is fucking WAY worse. Yet the government keeps bringing in more and more housing, driving up the cost of said housing... making it so that younger generations have no hope of ever owning a home unless they get filthy fucking rich. Anyone of my generation who refuses to acknowledge the exacerbating effect that immigration has on housing prices and wages... doesn't deserve much sympathy from me.

But that being said, the Boomer parents who supported these immigration policies, and supported Neo-Liberal politics... deserve it. They're just reaping the economic consequences of what they've sown.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Yeah but have you considered how much money the Boomers saved on landscaping?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If he rolled that into an IRA or some other retirement accounts...say 10 years into his career... that $90K is going to boost his initial investment and cause massive implications for his networth at retirement because of the compounding interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the crux of the whole thread.

Point out where you challenged it.

The CRUX of this whole thread?

I don't know, I'd say the Crux of the thread is this:
*Generational Wealth improves the quality of life for a family tree from generation to generation
*2/3 of the baby-boomer generation received an inheritance; median value in 2007 was $64,000 (meaning 49.9% received more than that) Inflation adjusted for 2022: $90,400 SOURCE
*Despite 2/3 receiving an inheritance, many baby-boomers express that "Everything I have I earned!"
*Many (not all) baby boomers express that they can't/won't pass anything down to their children, thus breaking the chain of generation wealth
*Many (not all) baby boomers call  gen-x/millenial/gen-z lazy whiners for pointing out this fact

Which of these statements do you disagree with?
I absolutely hate jumping into these threads umpteen pages later.

But there are a few things here that could be put into context:

1) *Generational Wealth improves the quality of life for a family tree from generation to generation
Absolutely and it takes MANY forms, not just cold hard cash.

2) *2/3 of the baby-boomer generation received an inheritance; median value in 2007 was $64,000 (meaning 49.9% received more than that) Inflation adjusted for 2022: $90,400 SOURCE
In the context of the life of the youngest Baby Boomer, someone who is 58 years old today, has most likely made an amount in their life that would DWARF that $90k.  If the boomer guy started a relatively modest job at 18, and started out lower wages of $12km, and only gained 5% every year for promotions, COLA, etc, by today he would be earning about $84,500 and had earned for himself a total exceeding $1.5 million in his life.  That $90k is a relatively paltry sum by comparison, equivalent to one year of salary in his later years.  This $1.5 million was used to pay bills, taxes, and to make investments and to build wealth.  Unless there was something unusual going on, our young boomer would probably have received this 90k relatively recently in the grand scheme of things.  He likely would have already paid off his home, raised his kids, and was stepping into the most lucrative years of his life to really sock it away.

3) *Despite 2/3 receiving an inheritance, many baby-boomers express that "Everything I have I earned!"
I'm not sure that anybody can truthfully say that they earned everything they had.  Almost everyone receives gifts and a start in life, no matter how small.  Anything helps, but getting a minor 6% kick in from a parent isn't life changing.  It might however make a big difference to someone right on the margins, struggling because of some bad decision or personal disaster.

4) *Many (not all) baby boomers express that they can't/won't pass anything down to their children, thus breaking the chain of generation wealth
Many people say a lot of things, but what matters is what they actually do.  I bet that by the time Baby Boomers are mostly gone, they will indeed have passed along a lot of wealth along to their kids.  I bet it will be more than $90k in today's dollars too.  It just hasn't happened in a big way yet.

5) *Many (not all) baby boomers call  gen-x/millenial/gen-z lazy whiners for pointing out this fact
Well, the video in the OP was what started it off and was kinda whiny.  It is also a fact that many Gen-Xers and Millennials are more interested in when they will get "the money" then worrying about earning their own money.  I also don't believe this is a generational thing.  I think it's a personality thing.

The average Boomer on GD has retired at 50 with 500K of passive annual income.

Outside of GD, the average Boomer has…
Wait for it…
200K of retirement savings.

Good thing some dude born in 1950 had over a 50% chance of getting a private sector job with a real pension.  And 10% of .gov jobs on top of that with real pensions.  With a median household income on a single salary comparable to a median household income now on dual incomes.
With average homes at 1500sf costing 23K in 1970.
About 180K in today’s dollars.
The average home is now 350K though. Average size is 2400sf.
They must be on bigger lots.
Um.. let’s see-
1970- over half an acre average lots.
Now, about 0.3.
Nope.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just like clockwork... When called out for their shitty behavior and views, the default of boomers and the boomer-lite is to accuse the other person of blaming them for their failures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baby boomers feel more of an obligation to illegal immigrants than their own kids.

In what drug infused dream do you think this shit up?

"Immigrants are natural conservatives."

"Mexicans work hard and do the jobs Americans won't."

"America is a melting pot and a nation of immigrants."

If I had a dollar for every time I heard these statements almost verbatim from boomers...

One more, but from a GenX'er....

"If you are an adult competing with illegal immigrants, then you have already lost at life"

"Hah, you deserve to get replaced by illegals!"

It's like some of you guys really do deliberately want to lose. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't constantly see absurdities like this posted here constantly. And, no, I'm not in an industry where I'm at risk of getting outcompeted by illegals.

Hah, we aren't the people on here whining about everyone and everything for our failures.  

Just like clockwork... When called out for their shitty behavior and views, the default of boomers and the boomer-lite is to accuse the other person of blaming them for their failures.

Oh god, the irony.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

I have met several like that.
But I have lived from the border of Canada to on the border with Mexico. On the East coast and pretty far west.  And been to lots of countries in Latin America, the Middle East, Africa, etc.

The overwhelming impact of our illegals and refugees, however is what I describe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Honest question.
My nephew is 19 and looking for guidance and at least in non major cities I just don’t see it.    $40-60k in construction or something similar sure.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again, maybe?

I didn't go to college. I found another path to a comfortable life. One still available, by the way. But hardly anyone wants to work out in the elements or have a very unconventional schedule anymore, too.

Honest question.

He could jump in as a lineman with an 80K base and 120/year with overtime.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It’s funny how you think a single anecdotal example is representative of everyone in a single generation and has never been seen in anyone outside of that generation.
View Quote

Are you new, here?

"This one time at band camp" is the basis for 87% of the blanket statements made in GD.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
By and large, it was the Boomer generation that supported the mass migration that started occurring in the 70s.

Every Generation had it better than their kids, until the fucking Boomer generation showed up.
All because Boomers wanted cheap labor, even if it meant increased crime, more rapefugees, and shittier economic situations for their kids.

My anecdotal example is funny (in a tragic sense) in the sense that it serves as an analogy for what the Boomer generation did on an economic scale. It was basically an individual anecdote, that was analogous to what happened on the macroscale.
That is, selling out all of our opportunities to foreigners, thus screwing over their own progeny.

To put it simply... Boomer Dad giving away inherritance to an illegal immigrant, rather than his own kids compared to Boomers sending every job that wasn't nailed down, to China, and importing Illegals, Migrant Workers, Guest Workers, H1B Visa workers etc etc for the few jobs that can't be shipped overseas.

The beautiful poetic justice, is the phenomena of Boomerang kids. I don't have much sympathy for *A LOT* of people of my generation who stupid go along with the Pro-Mass migration bullshit their parents indoctrinated them into. Our generation would likely be able to afford homes if immigration wasn't driving up demand. In the UK, the housing situation is fucking WAY worse. Yet the government keeps bringing in more and more housing, driving up the cost of said housing... making it so that younger generations have no hope of ever owning a home unless they get filthy fucking rich. Anyone of my generation who refuses to acknowledge the exacerbating effect that immigration has on housing prices and wages... doesn't deserve much sympathy from me.

But that being said, the Boomer parents who supported these immigration policies, and supported Neo-Liberal politics... deserve it. They're just reaping the economic consequences of what they've sown.

https://marginalrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MaleMedianIncome.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep making assumptions, but no. He never talked about "his" inheritance. It wasn't an extremely valuable property or anything like that and likely wouldn't have done anything for my friend....
Besides, my friend is well off... and he has several siblings. Had the inheritance been split between his uncles, and then his brothers... the amount he would have POSSIBLY had passed on to him would have been miniscule. A drop in the bucket for him.
It was the principle of a man choosing to leave everything to some illegal immigrant he was friends with, rather than his own kids...

Granted... his grandpa was a bit of a scoundrel, and didn't lead an honest life (in and out of prison) and was absent from my friend's dad's childhood (which was probably for the best, from the stories my friend heard from his dad's step-brothers... who WERE unfortunately raised by him)
I guess grandpa, in his old age, mellowed out... but still never cared much for his own kids, and ended up leaving them nothing... instead leaving it to his illegal immigrant friend.

My friend's dad somehow managed to become a decent, hard working devout Christian man, despite having such a terrible example for a father.

It wasn't about the money. I already told you. His dad was upset because the idea of his father leaving everything to an illegal immigrant, rather than to his own kids... is like a slap in the face.
If his dad had donated it all to a worthy charity, his dad likely wouldn't have had an issue with it.

Funny you empathize with the Boomer, even after I told that the boomer dad was a literal scoundrel who literally led a life of crime and was either absent from his kids life or downright abusive towards his other kids.

But Boomers gonna Boom.

https://marginalrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MaleMedianIncome.png

The way you talk about “Boomers” is precisely the same way a previous generation talked about”The Jews”.    You see “The Boomers” as Wealthy crooks, who got that way, by stealing from honest hard working people.  You complain about them, because they are convenient and available.     You’ve been bitter about old people so long. Ironically, you’ll soon become one.  

The generalization is just baseless and brainless.     Democrats are the ones who support unchecked immigration, and Democrats come in all ages. They are more skewed toward younger demographics.

You guys are always so confused.    You constantly display Democrat/Progressive/Communist tendencies, and yet you (correctly) recognize that Immigration caused your problems.  

Do you deny that unchecked immigration is a cornerstone policy of the  Democrat/Progressive/Communist movement?       Why do you focus your hatred on “boomers”?    When the true enemy is clear?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the crux of the whole thread.

Point out where you challenged it.

The CRUX of this whole thread?

I don't know, I'd say the Crux of the thread is this:
*Generational Wealth improves the quality of life for a family tree from generation to generation
*2/3 of the baby-boomer generation received an inheritance; median value in 2007 was $64,000 (meaning 49.9% received more than that) Inflation adjusted for 2022: $90,400 SOURCE
*Despite 2/3 receiving an inheritance, many baby-boomers express that "Everything I have I earned!"
*Many (not all) baby boomers express that they can't/won't pass anything down to their children, thus breaking the chain of generation wealth
*Many (not all) baby boomers call  gen-x/millenial/gen-z lazy whiners for pointing out this fact

Which of these statements do you disagree with?
I absolutely hate jumping into these threads umpteen pages later.

But there are a few things here that could be put into context:

1) *Generational Wealth improves the quality of life for a family tree from generation to generation
Absolutely and it takes MANY forms, not just cold hard cash.

2) *2/3 of the baby-boomer generation received an inheritance; median value in 2007 was $64,000 (meaning 49.9% received more than that) Inflation adjusted for 2022: $90,400 SOURCE
In the context of the life of the youngest Baby Boomer, someone who is 58 years old today, has most likely made an amount in their life that would DWARF that $90k.  If the boomer guy started a relatively modest job at 18, and started out lower wages of $12km, and only gained 5% every year for promotions, COLA, etc, by today he would be earning about $84,500 and had earned for himself a total exceeding $1.5 million in his life.  That $90k is a relatively paltry sum by comparison, equivalent to one year of salary in his later years.  This $1.5 million was used to pay bills, taxes, and to make investments and to build wealth.  Unless there was something unusual going on, our young boomer would probably have received this 90k relatively recently in the grand scheme of things.  He likely would have already paid off his home, raised his kids, and was stepping into the most lucrative years of his life to really sock it away.

3) *Despite 2/3 receiving an inheritance, many baby-boomers express that "Everything I have I earned!"
I'm not sure that anybody can truthfully say that they earned everything they had.  Almost everyone receives gifts and a start in life, no matter how small.  Anything helps, but getting a minor 6% kick in from a parent isn't life changing.  It might however make a big difference to someone right on the margins, struggling because of some bad decision or personal disaster.

4) *Many (not all) baby boomers express that they can't/won't pass anything down to their children, thus breaking the chain of generation wealth
Many people say a lot of things, but what matters is what they actually do.  I bet that by the time Baby Boomers are mostly gone, they will indeed have passed along a lot of wealth along to their kids.  I bet it will be more than $90k in today's dollars too.  It just hasn't happened in a big way yet.

5) *Many (not all) baby boomers call  gen-x/millenial/gen-z lazy whiners for pointing out this fact
Well, the video in the OP was what started it off and was kinda whiny.  It is also a fact that many Gen-Xers and Millennials are more interested in when they will get "the money" then worrying about earning their own money.  I also don't believe this is a generational thing.  I think it's a personality thing.

It would take 15 years to roll $90k into an IRA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bitches about inheritances not being passed on to subsequent generations.

Questions statistics indicating that generational wealth doesn’t get passed down more than a generation or two.

Holy shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

If, by the time your parents die at a normal age, you haven't made something of yourself or are well on your way to financial security, you are the failure, not your parents. An inheritance is nice but if that is how you expect to be financially secure, life is going to suck for you.

70% of generational wealth doesn't last past the second generation, 90% past the third.

If you didn't work for it, you don't tend to appreciate it.

No one's talking about not working for it. Some of the wealthiest people I know, are also some of the hardest working people I know.

And that "90% past the third generation..." quote has been around for a while. I've always wondered who actually tracked all of the wealth and assets from that long ago. I'm a millennial, my dad's Grandpa was born in the 1800's... who the hell tracked down how much wealth/land/assets my great grandfather's grandpa gave to him?

Questions statistics indicating that generational wealth doesn’t get passed down more than a generation or two.

Holy shit.

Because I believe that family wealth and assets were passed down more than five generations... until it hit the boomers. As I stated, 3 generations from the Boomers were born in the 1800's; who tracked down ALL WEALTH AND ASSETS, 3 generations prior to that?

To the non-boomers reading that statistic, it says 90% of family wealth never made it past the Boomers.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They're showing more initiative than our homegrown snowflakes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is very true.  If you're competing for these jobs at age 25+, you have failed and can blame yourself.

If some of these guys want to go rack chickens at the chicken plant, work sheet rock crews, or do landscaping...they certainly can.

Tell me what you think about illegal and legal H1B Indian immigrants and their degree farms

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because I believe that family wealth and assets were passed down more than five generations... until it hit the boomers. As I stated, 3 generations from the Boomers were born in the 1800's; who tracked down ALL WEALTH AND ASSETS, 3 generations prior to that?

To the non-boomers reading that statistic, it says 90% of family wealth never made it past the Boomers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

If, by the time your parents die at a normal age, you haven't made something of yourself or are well on your way to financial security, you are the failure, not your parents. An inheritance is nice but if that is how you expect to be financially secure, life is going to suck for you.

70% of generational wealth doesn't last past the second generation, 90% past the third.

No one's talking about not working for it. Some of the wealthiest people I know, are also some of the hardest working people I know.

And that "90% past the third generation..." quote has been around for a while. I've always wondered who actually tracked all of the wealth and assets from that long ago. I'm a millennial, my dad's Grandpa was born in the 1800's... who the hell tracked down how much wealth/land/assets my great grandfather's grandpa gave to him?

Holy shit.

Are these threads really just a way for people to bitch about their Parents?       It sure sounds that way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are these threads really just a way for people to bitch about their Parents?       It sure sounds that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

Holy shit.

But it’s my inheritance
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the Dave Ramsey show there have been several callers where Boomer parents got their kids to cosign loans for them... and then didn't do shit to pay the loan, thus fucking over their own kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Boomers gonna Boom.

If it makes you feel better, I won’t cosign loans for my kids because I don’t want to be responsible if they are unable to pay them back.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#26]

no, no - he has a point. They have all this initiative. They're willing to do the "same" job for 25% of the money. That money can be rolled up into a new RV.

JFC Boomers are literally insufferable,
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
OK for the sake of being fair... isn't Andrew Tate's primary audience.... Zoomers?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

well, I just put shit in boxes at Amazon, and sheer hard work and determination has my base salary at 120k before OT or bonus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honest question.
My nephew is 19 and looking for guidance and at least in non major cities I just don't see it.    $40-60k in construction or something similar sure.    

That’s awful how you have no opportunities and your life has been ruined like that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Boomers gonna Boom.

It wasn’t the baby boomer generation who passed the Hart–Celler Act in 1965.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

Holy shit.

All that wealth from the Great Depression, huh?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But I have lived from the border of Canada to on the border with Mexico. On the East coast and pretty far west.  And been to lots of countries in Latin America, the Middle East, Africa, etc.

The overwhelming impact of our illegals and refugees, however is what I describe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

Are there good people in the 2 million immigrants that will enter the country this year?  Of course there are.  I believe that because my own great grand father crossed the US/Mexico border 100 years ago, and he worked hard in the fields picking crops and clearing brush to provide for his family.

That said, I agree with your assessment.  I don't believe in magic dirt.  Today, the majority show up not to integrate and contribute but because they are told the US is rich, and Uncle Sam will take care of them.  I'm not ok with my children's grandchildren's futures being mortgaged to buy an apple, so the rest of the world can get a bite of it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#32]
No one is entitled to the fruits of another's labor.  That goes both ways, for children and parents.

It's hilarious to see people who leave their children nothing, rage when there is no one to help or take care of them in old age.  Sorry dad, gotta work!

Now it's happening on a macro scale.  Young people are quiet quitting, going Galt, refusing to do anything productive entirely.  Social security, medicare, medicaid are all going to be fucked.  If you keep your head up your ass while screaming at them to pull up their bootstraps things will only accelerate
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

Holy shit.

They're honestly supposed to be much deeper but we never really get into that part because well...

People feel too strongly one way or the other and then it turns into one ups and attacks.

For me these threads at their core are this.

Younger generation: "Oh crap this is really bad we might not be able to make it"

Older Generation: "Everyone says that at your age. Everything is going to be fine and if it's not.  Well you just suck at life"

Younger Generation: "IDK it seems like stuff is getting much worse than before I'm genuinely scared for my children and the world they will inherit"

Older Generation:  "I know we all post memes about how much better things were just 30-40 years ago but we didn't have cellphones.  You're just not working hard enough"

So it's less about fault and more do you acknowledge things are getting worse and do you believe you have a responsibility while you still yet live to those who follow behind.

Boomer discussion for me is about the past generation refusing to acknowledge the world has fundamentally changed for the worst. Or believing they have no responsibility in that regard nor had a hand in the change that took place.

I in these threads though tend to try to focus less on getting "boomers" to understand and more to familiarize myself of what went wrong.

I feel the point of generational wealth is important for those of us who are going to have to deal with things in the coming decades.  Regardless of what form those things take going forward.

GD is always filled with flexing about how well off someone is or how much money people make.

I'm sure there are people barely scaping by reading all this that just want to know a path forward.

As messy as it took to get here we have one.

Build something for your kids or those following behind to build from themselves.

It doesn't have to be money.  It could be land, Tools, vehicles, infrastructure, knowledge,  anything.  Just come up with something. It doesn't even have to succeed.  Just the idea of building it and the passing on the importance of doing it to others should make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Boomer discussion for me is about the past generation refusing to acknowledge the world has fundamentally changed for the worst. Or believing they have no responsibility in that regard nor had a hand in the change that took place.

View Quote

The world absolutely sucks and it's getting worse with no sign at all that it will get better.

Just because I was born a year before the Cool Kids doesn't mean I'm responsible for all the problems.

Like I've asked dozens of B'tards, tell me the crime I committed and I'll apologize for it. I'm not going to beg forgiveness from retards just for being born.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They're honestly supposed to be much deeper but we never really get into that part because well...

People feel too strongly one way or the other and then it turns into one ups and attacks.

Younger generation: "Oh crap this is really bad we might not be able to make it"

Older Generation: "Everyone says that at your age. Everything is going to be fine and if it's not.  Well you just suck at life"

Younger Generation: "IDK it seems like stuff is getting much worse than before I'm genuinely scared for my children and the world they will inherit"

Older Generation:  "I know we all post memes about how much better things were just 30-40 years ago but we didn't have cellphones.  You're just not working hard enough"

So it's less about fault and more do you acknowledge things are getting worse and do you believe you have a responsibility while you still yet live to those who follow behind.

I in these threads though tend to try to focus less on getting "boomers" to understand and more to familiarize myself of what went wrong.

I feel the point of generational wealth is important for those of us who are going to have to deal with things in the coming decades.  Regardless of what form those things take going forward.

GD is always filled with flexing about how well off someone is or how much money people make.

I'm sure there are people barely scaping by reading all this that just want to know a path forward.

Build something for your kids or those following behind to build from themselves.

It doesn't have to be money.  It could be land, Tools, vehicles, infrastructure, knowledge,  anything.  Just come up with something. It doesn't even have to succeed.  Just the idea of building it and the passing on the importance of doing it to others should make a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All I'll post is this.

Holy shit.

Interesting response.    My boomer parents didn’t have much, so I never had any expectations of inheritance.    I agree that a legacy is important, and it’s my last remaining goal; to leave land for my descendants, and have the taxes paid in perpetuity through investments.    Ideally, I’d like to structure the whole thing, so it’s in a trust and can never be broken up and sold.    

You speak of “Responsibility” but that one is hard to define.  Does a man who paid Millions in taxes, and always voted for fiscal austerity, deserve to be lumped in with all the Democrats and welfare rats?  

Maybe we all share the burden of blame, but if that’s the case, every adult here, has an equal share.      Especially the bitterly complaining millennials, who hardly pay any taxes at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bruh.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes you did.  Come on, you have to admit that was funny.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cried?
More of that projection.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a good thing. Being that you can’t find women willing to reproduce with you and won’t have any offspring to focus on, you’ll need something to occupy your time.

Sounds like a personal attack...

A factual observation is crying.

So desperate for any semblance of a W.

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Man has this thread added so many clicks, better now to weed out our ageist bigots and grey bar them. Some that I used to like following have really disappointed me with their divisional and toxic bigotry.

Don't let GD be the excuse to showing your asses as we're all in this together and those you are angry with are not even on here. And if you're trash talking which is personally attacking, then don't be surprised when you get it back in return. Really surprised the mods and staff have not locked in on this yet, as there are many violating or skirting the CoC riding as close to the sun as they are.
View Quote

This is crying.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's awful how you have no opportunities and your life has been ruined like that.
View Quote

As I've pointed out, I live less "high on the hog" compared to a boomer in 1971 with no education, comparatively; and I'm absolutely destroying my peer group, who make ~half of what I do. I'm 30.

...and unlike all the Boomers, I really did do it all on my own. $60k of student loans all on my own, no mommy and daddy to pay for shit. Industry internships every year. Ruthlessly pursuing the almighty dollar, fucking over companies that don't promote from within. Reinventing myself TWICE in ten years.

I didn't just work at the same shitty union factory the whole time and talk about how "hard" I worked; and then casually lapse into a pensioned retirement while making sure nobody else got what I got.

Boomers have no clue how fucked an "average" IQ millennial is. "Hard" work is not going to cut it. You worthless fucks sold us all out for Social Security and a never ending parade of bennies; and then you don't even have the goddamned common courtesy to leave us with any of the shit you bought with our money. You destroyed the country because you were afraid of the coof - destroyed millions of young people's futures. Now you're shocked - absolutely flabbergasted that most millennials are living with their parents until their 30's; the freeloading leeches; because they literally can't afford a house, to get married, or to have children.

This doesn't touch Gen Z; who - by the way, are going to fucking put you people into concentration camps. They are called Generation Zyklon by the Millenials, and they're raised by Gen X; who fucking hate you. What do you think is going to happen.

The me generation indeed. Let them eat cake.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am out of this millennial selfishly greedy false narrative BS bitch beta boi thread. And worse, is that I am embarrassed to be among that age group of lazy assholes.
View Quote

He says while constantly crying about aGeIsT BiGoTrY.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Facts ever feelings.

Also, the H1 visa and NAFTA holders have the same costs of living as do the imports.
and the H1'a and NAFTA holders are usually sending money home to help out their families.
How come they can make it, but the homegrown can't?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruh.

Facts ever feelings.

Also, the H1 visa and NAFTA holders have the same costs of living as do the imports.
and the H1'a and NAFTA holders are usually sending money home to help out their families.
How come they can make it, but the homegrown can't?

1) The cost of living in India or Guatemala is much smaller than the cost of living in the US.  Money sent home goes much further.
2) Visa holders and illegals will live with several family units or the entire work crew in a single house or apartment, which significantly reduces their cost of living.

Neither option is a long term solution for US families unless you want the US to be India or Guatemala.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His "report" button is probably wore out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its gotten to a point many older people are collapsing with inadequate retirement to see them through.  I have spoken to a lot of older people that tell me social security was sold to them by the government as a replacement for private retirement.  Maybe its true or not, but I know government is always out to undermine people to gain control over them. Its desperation for a lot of older people. Out of options they are selling off any assets they have to pay the bills, hoping they die before the money runs out.

IDGAF, fuck them. Turnabout is fair play.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif

Have you given up your free Canadian healthcare and pension?

Probably still recovering from the "personal attack" last night.  

His "report" button is probably wore out.

False.

We can get @Aimless to confirm I haven't reported anyone ITT.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The world absolutely sucks and it's getting worse with no sign at all that it will get better.

Just because I was born a year before the Cool Kids doesn't mean I'm responsible for all the problems.

Like I've asked dozens of B'tards, tell me the crime I committed and I'll apologize for it. I'm not going to beg forgiveness from retards just for being born.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No one is asking for a confession.  A simple "ya it sucks and I'm not sure what to do either. but were all in this together" would suffice.

Right now the general attitude is "things are bad and we figured it out. so you should too"

Most of the anti boomer comments are just pointing out you didn't really figure anything out.  The world was just a better place then and you benefited from that.

That's honestly okay too. But claiming that you're just better than those who follow after you doesn't really sit well.

Quoted:

Interesting response.    My boomer parents didn’t have much, so I never had any expectations of inheritance.    I agree that a legacy is important, and it’s my last remaining goal; to leave land for my descendants, and have the taxes paid in perpetuity through investments.    Ideally, I’d like to structure the whole thing, so it’s in a trust and can never be broken up and sold.    

You speak of “Responsibility” but that one is hard to define.  Does a man who paid Millions in taxes, and always voted for fiscal austerity, deserve to be lumped in with all the Democrats and welfare rats?  

Maybe we all share the burden of blame, but if that’s the case, every adult here, has an equal share.      Especially the bitterly complaining millennials, who hardly pay any taxes at all.

But did your boomer parents try to leave you with the importance of legacy?  Did they try to help you anyway they could? Any wisdom given that spurred results I'm sure is more important to you than any amount of inheritance.

A big part of the divide is the half hearted advice that's always given.

The memes of boot straps, calling to see who is hiring, and going to sweep the floor at the place you want to work are real things people have told millennials for years.

It's just not built in any reality.

How much better would it be if when someone looking for work had an issue.  His elders just stopped and asked to hear what he was actually experiencing.  So they could assist him in his path.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You accidentally described my stepmother. She got $6m in cash and real estate two years ago at age 71 and I predict she will die alone and in poverty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah man, sell that shit. Mom can buy an RV and tour the country smoking pot, popping Xannies and following The Rolling Stones or some shit. She sells anal beads at the free love commune and is getting hollowed out like a canoe at the rez.

Familial unit? Fuck that man. She isn't obligated to anybody but herself. Fuck you, she got hers.

Fuck them kids.

You accidentally described my stepmother. She got $6m in cash and real estate two years ago at age 71 and I predict she will die alone and in poverty.

Hood-rich behavior.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Honest question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again, maybe?

Honest question.

Most railroads are begging for conductors.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pathetic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cried?
More of that projection.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a good thing. Being that you can’t find women willing to reproduce with you and won’t have any offspring to focus on, you’ll need something to occupy your time.

Sounds like a personal attack...

Pathetic.

It's fucking hilarious...grown men bitching about life not being fair.    

And yes, it's pathetic too.   You guys are a sad bunch.  Did you get fucked?  Yea, you probably did.

Start a support group.  Nobody owes you shit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again, maybe?

Honest question.

That sounds like a fun job, can you smoke weed there?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OK for the sake of being fair... isn't Andrew Tate's primary audience.... Zoomers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you learned nothing from the fine gentlemen of this thread?
AIn't nO SuCh ThiNg aS FaIr SoN!

but TBH I don't know much about the guy besides he's a total douch canoe and zoomers are eating his word vomit up
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arfcom is such a bizarre anomaly. I don’t know if it’s a matter of who you hang out with or what, but most of the boomers I know acknowledge that things have gotten tougher for younger generations, which anecdotal stories aside, is generally backed up by stats. In fact, if anything they overstate it.

Also, I don’t exactly understand the “generational wealth” thing. Average lifespan for an American woman is something like 80, so her kids would be like 50-60 years old before they inherited anything. To me, inheriting my Boomer parents’ assets when I’m 60 would not only be unnecessary, but a giant pain in the ass.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top