BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions for the actual 'colonization' of some alien world? Like the actual landing on some completely unknown unexplored planet, exploring and building up a colony, sort of thing.
View Quote
Mindbridge by Haldeman.
Episodic tale about a "Tamer", a member of an elite Astronaut Corps that opens new planets for colonization. This is hideously dangerous work and the monetary costs are such that sending Earth's very best, equipped with the highest tech is the only feasible way to do it.
The book interleaves the protagonist's narrative with epistolary scientific and social background of his world.
Tunnel in the Sky by Heinlein.
Outworld settlement calls for serious survival skills. These are taught in an advanced High School course. The story follows one class on their graduation exam: being dumped on an unknown world to survive for 10 days.
Notable for the "You're the rabbit, not the fox" monologue.
Legacy of Heorot by Niven and Pournelle.
First colony tale about an alien predator and the disastrous, downward spiralling fight to stop it. It's Beowulf in space, deliberately.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a pretty good series, with a TON of books overall.

Revelations Cycle
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions for the actual 'colonization' of some alien world? Like the actual landing on some completely unknown unexplored planet, exploring and building up a colony, sort of thing.
View Quote

This is one where things didn't go as planned.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What world is built? At the end of the fourth book, humanity is shattered and on the run from the Inhibitors.
View Quote

Mars
Resurgam
Yellowstone
Chasm
Haldora
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

There's a lot of technical and science jargon that made it really hard for me to enjoy so I stopped reading it. Instead, I found the audiobook on YT.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Project Hail Mary is a great space exploration book.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Project Hail Mary is a great space exploration book.

View Quote

It was only semi-realistic, but damn entertaining for sure. I listened to the audiobook twice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mindbridge by Haldeman.
Episodic tale about a "Tamer", a member of an elite Astronaut Corps that opens new planets for colonization. This is hideously dangerous work and the monetary costs are such that sending Earth's very best, equipped with the highest tech is the only feasible way to do it.
The book interleaves the protagonist's narrative with epistolary scientific and social background of his world.
Tunnel in the Sky by Heinlein.
Outworld settlement calls for serious survival skills. These are taught in an advanced High School course. The story follows one class on their graduation exam: being dumped on an unknown world to survive for 10 days.
Notable for the "You're the rabbit, not the fox" monologue.
Legacy of Heorot by Niven and Pournelle.
First colony tale about an alien predator and the disastrous, downward spiralling fight to stop it. It's Beowulf in space, deliberately.

View Quote

I keep trying to think of something bad I have read by Pournelle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I keep trying to think of something bad I have read by Pournelle.
View Quote

Stay away from 'Moties' by his daughter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stay away from 'Moties' by his daughter.
View Quote

I didnt think it was horrible, but not great either. I have not reread it though
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Revelation Space is SciFi horror not world building.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, see username.

Revelation Space is SciFi horror not world building.

I like the world he built starting with revelation space.

Certainly horror elements but I keep reading all the new stuff he writes that take place in that world.  

Melding virus and ultras.  Hope he writes more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have enjoyed Paolo Bacigalupi "windup girl" a lot.  He is starting to get more stories in the world he is making.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Red Rising is the best series I've ever read.  Not "hard" sci-fi I don't think, but it's absolutely fantastic.  New book is coming in 2023.

The Sun Eater series is the same style of book and also very good.  I'm on book three right now.  The universe feels absolutely massive in this series and they travel all over it.  Again, I don't think it's "hard" sci-fi.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I enjoyed the the "Forgotten Ruin series" and "Galaxy's Edge series" By Jason Anspach and Nick Cole.

Easy reading military Sci Fi with D&D mixed in with the Forgotten Ruin series.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have enjoyed Paolo Bacigalupi "windup girl" a lot.  He is starting to get more stories in the world he is making.
View Quote

He had a good short story about a calorie merchant making an illegal river trip for black market calories. It's an interesting universe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
The Expanse books and show.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I enjoyed the the "Forgotten Ruin series" and "Galaxy's Edge series" By Jason Anspach and Nick Cole.

Easy reading military Sci Fi with D&D mixed in with the Forgotten Ruin series.
View Quote

Neither one of those could be called hard sci-fi though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
These are great!

I tore through them, and now I have to sit and wait for the third and final volume.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
These are great!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86695/architecture-2543195.jpg

I tore through them, and now I have to sit and wait for the third and final volume.
View Quote

I'm 1/3 through Shards of Earth. Does it get better?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The Golden Age trilogy by John C. Wright.
Set a hundred thousand years from now, humanity has populated the Solar System and has enjoyed an unprecedented era of peace and prosperity for thousands of years. As a Kardashev Type 2 technological civilization, stagnation, self satisfaction and preservation of the status quo has set in at all levels.
One man, Phaethon, whose motto is "Deeds of renown without peer" has been using his incalculable wealth and unparallelled engineering skill to build a starship capable of traveling at near C.
But the powers that be aren't happy with this, and join together to undermine his plans even as an ancient enemy sets its sights on the human Golden Age.
Gigantic in scope and concept, featuring vast sweeps of a nightmarishly bloody future history, the story follows the various factions and entities, human, transhuman and AI, who have a stake in aiding or preventing Phaethon from reaching the stars.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not for you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A lot of good recommendations so far. I will state the the "Bobiverse" series is one of my favorites. Ready it twice now. While there is some "magic" fixes, they were discovered over long time periods and the "magic" tech itself also advanced over time as well, like it should. It was all done very well. No warp speed or wormholes or anything of that sort. I will say by the 4th book things got a little harder to follow due to all the characters, but that could be because there was so much time between the release of the 4th book after the first 3, so maybe I just forgot.

"Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir (The Martian) is another good one and another one of my favorites. The book was not what I expected. Not purely "hard" sic-fi, but there is a scientific approach to the "magic" that I appreciate. And it breaks just like everything else.
View Quote

Thread necro!

Another vote for the Bobiverse series. I just finished reading the 4 books. All awesome. You could almost treat book 4 as a stand alone novel from the series.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Another vote for the Bobiverse series.
View Quote

That's definitely in my queue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLX8V84?tag=arfcom00-20

When itinerant cave diver James Tighe receives an invitation to billionaire Nathan Joyce's private island, he thinks it must be a mistake. But Tighe's unique skill set makes him a prime candidate for Joyce's high-risk venture to mine a near-earth asteroid--with the goal of kick-starting an entire off-world economy. The potential rewards and personal risks are staggering, but the competition is fierce and the stakes couldn't be higher.

Isolated and pushed beyond their breaking points, Tighe and his fellow twenty-first century adventurers--ex-soldiers, former astronauts, BASE jumpers, and mountain climbers--must rely on each other to survive not only the dangers of a multi-year expedition but the harsh realities of business in space. They're determined to transform humanity from an Earth-bound species to a space-faring one--or die trying.
View Quote

Written by Daniel Suarez, who wrote Daemon and Freedom(TM).  Awesome read.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished reading the Ice Moon Series by Brandon Morris. Cool series.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Now I’m reading The Three Body Problem. It’s interesting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now I’m reading The Three Body Problem. It’s interesting.
View Quote

Notice how they never actually say the name of the Chinese leader during the scenes in/around the Cultural Revolution?

They even redact his name (which obviously has three letters) from the reports concerning SETI in the 60's....
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Edward Lerner. The complete Interstellar.net stories
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anything by Neil Stevenson

7 Eves is good. Depressing as shit, but good.

Lois McMaster, the VorKosigan Saga is...weird. But fun. Make sure you read in chronological order, not order they are written.
View Quote

Stephenson.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

When itinerant cave diver James Tighe receives an invitation to billionaire Nathan Joyce's private island, he thinks it must be a mistake. But Tighe's unique skill set makes him a prime candidate for Joyce's high-risk venture to mine a near-earth asteroid--with the goal of kick-starting an entire off-world economy. The potential rewards and personal risks are staggering, but the competition is fierce and the stakes couldn't be higher.

Isolated and pushed beyond their breaking points, Tighe and his fellow twenty-first century adventurers--ex-soldiers, former astronauts, BASE jumpers, and mountain climbers--must rely on each other to survive not only the dangers of a multi-year expedition but the harsh realities of business in space. They're determined to transform humanity from an Earth-bound species to a space-faring one--or die trying.

Influx is another fantastic Suarez book. I like everything he's written.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm finally reading 'Downbelow Station' and so far it is excellent.

Neal Asher's 'Polity' books are great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for you.

Yeah, you were right. There was a space battle that was so fucktarded I had to delete the PDF.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Took me 40 years to get to it, but I'm glad that I finally read "Downbelow Station" by C.J. Cherryh.

It's outstanding.

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Took me 40 years to get to it, but I'm glad that I finally read "Downbelow Station" by C.J. Cherryh.

It's outstanding.

View Quote

I always avoided it because she is a woman. But now that you have recommended, maybe I will check it out. Oh, but your last rec was terrible so I will skip. but I am also curious so I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The “bob verse” series by Dennis Taylor.  quite fun.

Pushing ice ( don’t remember the author. single book)

Hail Mary (Andy weir, also did Martian )

All are hard science fiction, not fantasy sci-fi .

Didn’t realize that I had posted all this earlier. Lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He had a good short story about a calorie merchant making an illegal river trip for black market calories. It's an interesting universe.
View Quote

Sounds kind of like Lipidleggin' by F. Paul Wilson.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Saturn Run - John Standford and Ctein

The Last Astronaut - David Wellington

Hull Zero Three - Greg Bear

Project Hail Mary and Artemis - Andy Weir
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ordered Leviathan Wakes in The Expanse series and Pushing Ice.

Thanks again.
View Quote

Pushing Ice surprised the hell out of me. In the best possible way.

The Expanse will suck you in. I went from Leviathan Wakes to Leviathan Falls in about 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#41]
You gotta get Ringworld and it’s sequels and THEN read the Fleet of Worlds quintet.

Niven.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You gotta get Ringworld and it’s sequels and THEN read the Fleet of Worlds quintet.

Niven.
View Quote

Niven is great and I love Ringworld, but none of his stuff is hard SF.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

none of his stuff is hard SF.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

none of his stuff is hard SF.

Hard SF is based on established laws of physics with nothing included that can't at least be projected from what we know now.  The Ringworld universe has casual FTL, teleportation and magic spaceship hulls.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Another fantastic epic tale of Earth forming and joining a technology trading network with aliens is Edward Lerner’s InterstellarNet group of short stories and novels, available in one complete 1,000 page volume.

Starts pretty much in current times and follows a future history for the next several hundred years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Niven is the DEFINITION of hard SF. He almost single handedly invented the genre.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hard SF is based on established laws of physics with nothing included that can't at least be projected from what we know now.  The Ringworld universe has casual FTL, teleportation and magic spaceship hulls.
View Quote

Perhaps Known Space has developed knowledge of physics beyond what we currently understand.

Hard SF is where the physics are internally consistent and the math checks out, within that framework.

You saying Niven isn’t hard SF is like Pythagoras saying calculus is fantasy math.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Niven is the DEFINITION of hard SF. He almost single handedly invented the genre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rik makes a good case but there are some Niven books that are hard scifi according to his definition such as the Man Kzin Wars and Legacy of Heroet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Perhaps Known Space has developed knowledge of physics beyond what we currently understand.

Hard SF is where the physics are internally consistent and the math checks out, within that framework.

You saying Niven isn’t hard SF is like Pythagoras saying calculus is fantasy math.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.  I am not saying Niven hasn't written some hard SF, but IMHO the Known Space stories are not among them.  There's a lot of handwavium in there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top