Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That is exactly what I was thinking
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
In before she gets promoted to chief of police.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am willing to bet that this isn’t the first job where she hasn’t been pulling her own weight.
View Quote
Maybe she weighs a lot though...so don't be to rough on her...
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
ITHACA, N.Y. — The City of Ithaca issued a press release on Thursday asking individuals who filed complaints with the Ithaca Police Department over the last 10 years to come forward if they feel their complaint was not adequately investigated.

"The Ithaca Police Department recently identified in the IPD Investigations Division a deeply troubling failure across nearly a decade to investigate a broad array of cases," reads the statement. "Most heart-breaking amongst these inadequately-investigated cases is an array of reported sex offenses."

While the statement does not mention any investigator by name, sex crime investigations have been handled by Investigator Christine Barksdale. The statement from the city specifies that investigators will no longer have specializations and will investigate a diversity of crimes.

IPD investigator honored with J. Diann Sams African American History Month award
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just because case tracking software exists doesn't mean the PD will buy it or use it if they have it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upper ranks knew she wasn't doing shit and were afraid to take any action against her.

Sounds to me like a new boss came in, realized that things were a mess and actually took action to fix things.

Kudos to that boss.
View Quote
Okay.  Presumably she is assigned to some kind of detective squad based on some type of crime or geographic area.  How is the sergeant assigned to that squad not tracking cases?  Even if he does it with Excel, or on paper, it seems fundamental to that job to know the info.

For what its worth, I know guys who literally have case loads in the dozens (for reasons that are not their fault), and at a certain point just keeping track of the cases becomes a burden that impedes working the cases.

A shitty detective finds excuses to make workable cases "inactive," or constantly reschedules follow up down the road, or sends some pointless item to the crime lab (where it will be for months) or whatever.  You don't just ignore them for years and hope no one notices.  Except maybe in Ithaca?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is negligence on behalf of whoever was in charge.

There should be a reporting system on case assignments and dispositions.
View Quote
Assuming the news stories are actually accurate (a big assumption) than this is indicative of a much bigger problem.

Over ten years there were presumably several sergeants overseeing her investigations squad.  Nobody had an idea about dispositions or status of cases?

And those sergeants presumably had a lieutenant or that was in charge of several squads or some kind investigations division.  Lieutenant never asked the sergeant to break down his numbers and stats?  Presumably a captain and finally the chief.  Chief just accepted that the investigations division was just a swirling mystery with no accountability?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay.  Presumably she is assigned to some kind of detective squad based on some type of crime or geographic area.  How is the sergeant assigned to that squad not tracking cases?  Even if he does it with Excel, or on paper, it seems fundamental to that job to know the info.

For what its worth, I know guys who literally have case loads in the dozens (for reasons that are not their fault), and at a certain point just keeping track of the cases becomes a burden that impedes working the cases.

A shitty detective finds excuses to make workable cases "inactive," or constantly reschedules follow up down the road, or sends some pointless item to the crime lab (where it will be for months) or whatever.  You don't just ignore them for years and hope no one notices.  Except maybe in Ithaca?
View Quote
To clarify, I retired as a sergeant in 2015 after 41 years as a police officer.

There had to be several layers of supervision above the detective.

For a single sergeant to enter the unit and discover that there was no clearance/closure tracking system in place must have been horrifying because that sergeant knew at that point that every level of supervision above him was either lazy, incompetent, drunken, or corrupt and selling cases.

It takes large brass balls and a willingness to jeopardize future promotion to diddle with that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Do they not have an activity report for the 'work' they're doing?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
CUNT
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems typical. My dad works for the county in Vegas and constantly sees cases like this and was even falsely accused of sexual harassment and racism for chewing out an employee for not doing her g'damn job. The case was dismissed, but only after my dad had no option, but to join the union to get proper representation.

It's a self licking ice cream cone of corruption and waste. Lazy employees from a certain demographic file faux claims and get paid by the county to settle. And the public has no idea how often this is happening.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Amazing, she's not "just" an investigator, but sex crimes?

AND has her little fucktoy store?

Soooooooooo much phsychorogical.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
If you got no better excuse play the race card
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Since you were sexually assaulted and will have a difficult time with normal human sexual relations for quite awhile, let me introduce you to my personal line of eco-friendly adult products".
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Somehow the Ithaca PD allows her to work in her store during work hours as an investigator?

Selling dildo's?

Barksdale can be found searching for and selling non-toxic, safe and primarily women-centric sex toys in her boutique, Sustainable Passions. .
View Quote
Officer Barksdale, while working at the store she owns, is confronted by Lt. Joly who requests that she return to IPD Headquarters to receive a "counseling memo," described in the report as a non-disciplinary action used to call an officer's attention to a breach in policy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Had a similar situation at a major company I used to work for years ago where one employee would walk around all day basically do nothing and if other employees complain he would claim racism, if his manager criticized him, or gave him a bad write up he would get HR involved and claim racism. So naturally everyone looked the other way.

When we merged with another major company we had to undergo layoffs, management saw an opportunity and he was among the first to get laid off.  He got a lawyer and threatened to sue again claiming racism  so management yielded and created a new position for him as a security guard so he could walk around all day and do nothing.

This is what we get for having a society where diversity is mandated, where employers and employees are bound and gaged by political correctness and where token hires have become part of the price of doing business.

I have no doubt she will get the winning end of the stick, work place diversity bestows extraordinary power upon the diverse.
View Quote
There are ways of handling people like the one mentioned above.  You have to be fair and equally apply your evaluation and coaching to everyone. You can’t start out enforcing the rules when the POC problem child shows up.

Set clear measurable goals that match the organization objectives, monitor performance, provide feed back, provide training to raise the employee to minimum accepted standards, document, document, and document. Following this course of action will result in a an Improved employee, or one who rebels and shoots themself in the foot, or one day just quits.  Which ever it is, you will have succeeded in raising the performance of the organization.

My experience is they don’t show for the off site training or leave early, or start to act out which only makes the case for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#18]
They should assign her to investigate, she has been doing such a bang up job investing other crimes
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Since you were sexually assaulted and will have a difficult time with normal human sexual relations for quite awhile, let me introduce you to my personal line of eco-friendly adult products".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've long held the belief a writer's embellishment is the best part of a good story, and when it's given a nudge, reality writes such a richly vibrant script!
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Super Woke Ithaca had a black female detective who just never did any work on hundreds of crimes assigned to her. Once the police dept manages to stumble across the fact that she hadn't been bothering to actually investigate crimes assigned to her she filed a complaint with the state that she was a victim of racism

Ithaca is the wacky Berkeley of upstate NY, I'm sure they'll never fire a black female Ithaca PD can't bother to investigate rapes but they have time to arrest you for smoking on the sidewalk

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/ithaca-investigator-at-center-of-allegations-previously-filed-discrimination-complaint
View Quote
Experienced something similar involving an obese young woman when I was a shift supervisor decades ago.  I kept having to prompt her to do her job.  I wasn't mean about it, but she required a lot of prompting to do the basics.  She got defensive and began sending letters to my female supervisor, accusing me of sexual harassing another co-worker.  We worked in an open room of about a dozen people with no way to hide behavior or remarks, and my supervisor was just around the corner within earshot the entire time.  There was literally no action that I could have made without being in line of sight of at least 5 other people at any moment.  My supervisor knew it was a bunk accusation and blew it off but didn't tell me until much later.

Miss Heffalump next sends a letter to HR with the accusation against me.  Again, I'm still unaware while an investigation is performed involving all the other people in the work area.  Everyone vindicated me and the supposed 'victim' went to bat for me, saying that I had always been respectful and professional towards her.  I learned of the investigation and the vindication after it was all resolved.

Miss Heffalump did it because she knew she was performing poorly at work and had heard that a person making a harassment claim would enjoy protected employment.

I was transferred to another position and Miss Heffalump's shift got a new female supervisor.  Miss Heffalump was fired less than a year later for poor performance and poor conduct at work.  Her parents stormed in to the site manager's office with threats of lawsuits.  The site manager calmly produced a thick binder containing all of the documented infractions and warnings that Miss Heffalump had been receiving from her female supervisor and asked her parents if they wanted to read through them all with the site manager.  The parents shut their mouths and left without saying another word.

The transfer later turned out to be a blessing for me, providing new opportunities that I might have missed in the previous position.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm thinking of the 48 hours scene where Eddie Murphy is in the bar with a badge ....
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So what's the "racist" angle here? She shouldn't have to do her job because she's black?

Expecting her to actually investigate stuff is racist somehow?

View Quote
Well, yes.

Welcome to America where the nation is still apologizing for slavery.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ITHACA, N.Y.  The City of Ithaca issued a press release on Thursday asking individuals who filed complaints with the Ithaca Police Department over the last 10 years to come forward if they feel their complaint was not adequately investigated.

"The Ithaca Police Department recently identified in the IPD Investigations Division a deeply troubling failure across nearly a decade to investigate a broad array of cases," reads the statement. "Most heart-breaking amongst these inadequately-investigated cases is an array of reported sex offenses."

While the statement does not mention any investigator by name, sex crime investigations have been handled by Investigator Christine Barksdale. The statement from the city specifies that investigators will no longer have specializations and will investigate a diversity of crimes.

https://i2.wp.com/ithacavoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-02-06-18.19.15.jpg?resize=620%2C420&ssl=1

IPD investigator honored with J. Diann Sams African American History Month award
View Quote
Interesting Freudian choice of words... I bet they don't lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is that a really small city?

There are several kinds of ready made software for case tracking.  How would the detective sergeant not know about these cases?  How would the agency not know all the stats and clearance numbers?  The whole case tracking thing is a significant part of a detective's job.

Everything is all linked and tracked digitally now.  Makes it really hard to hide out.

Ithaca must be really something from the past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Copy of no work detective's complaint to the state at link. She only got caught because a new Lt working in the Investigations Unit decided maybe having a spreadsheet of open cases might be a good idea and SURPRISE guess who had over a 100 cases sitting around open.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/state-complaint-says-ithaca-police-officer-had-117-open-cases/amp/
Is that a really small city?

There are several kinds of ready made software for case tracking.  How would the detective sergeant not know about these cases?  How would the agency not know all the stats and clearance numbers?  The whole case tracking thing is a significant part of a detective's job.

Everything is all linked and tracked digitally now.  Makes it really hard to hide out.

Ithaca must be really something from the past.
A Sergeant tells his Captain who goes to the Major who goes to the politically connected Deputy Chief and then the Sergeant is told to do nothing and let it go.

The Sergeant keeps trying to do his job and suddenly finds himself reassigned to patrol for the "needs of the department" and then spends the next 18 months defending his career after the useless employee files a Hostile Work Environment complaint accusing the Sergeant of being a racist.

If the Sergeant is lucky he documented everything through email and saves his career, because the higher your rank the less you can recall when you're being interviewed by Professional Standards.

At least that's what a friend told me......

That's not the past.  That's modern 21st Century Policing in progressive areas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you got no better excuse play the race card
View Quote
It works.

Wish I could use my white privilege for that
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, yes.

Welcome to America where the nation is still apologizing for slavery.
View Quote
I have been told by liberals that slavery is the reason black people act the way they do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Diversity is death, Tolerance is suicide.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top