User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone know if he was actually aiming at the individual Indian he hit? Or was he just aiming at a group of Indians and happened to get lucky?

don't have any proof, but I'd imaginge at a group, at 3/4 of a mile away I doubt he could tell the difference between the horse and indian setting on it, I read an article where some shooters placed blaze orange 30" targets on 4'x4' squares at 1k yards, and shot and shot at them with sharps rifles, in the artical they said that depending on where the sun was in the sky affected how they saw the target, at certain angles of light, they couldn't differenciate the orange from the white, and when the sun was strait overhead, it cause mirage that caused many of them to hit way low of where they thought they were aiming.

Black on white makes much better contrast. Why orange?

At those long distances, that big bullet would be pretty much falling from the sky. Very precise range estimation would be required. Or firing shots and adjusting based upon observed hits.

If the indians made a point of using a certain location to observe, one could establish a zero while they were elsewhere, then make good use of the zero when they returned.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My Marlin 45-70:

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the indians made a point of using a certain location to observe, one could establish a zero while they were elsewhere, then make good use of the zero when they returned.

Doubt that would work too well.  I've pulled targets for BP shooters on several occasions and the long range accuracy with these rifles is -- well -- not spectacular.  Most BP shooters can hold their own out to 300yds, the better shooters can hit some 9s and 10s at 600 and 800 yds, but beyond that it turns into a crap shoot in a hurry and many shooters cannot consistently hit a 6'x6' target frame at 900 or 1000yds.  Pulled targets one time in a gusting headwind and the guys had fits because one shot would sail 10+ feet over the target frame and if the wind let off a bit the next shot would plow into the berm in front of the pits.  I did pull targets once for a guy who was staying inside the 8 ring consistently.  Later found out he was shooting a muzzleloader -- go figure...

And I have a Shiloh Sharps, but given what I've seen in the pits I have little desire to spend $600+ for a vernier sight and globe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Billy lost his .50 Sharps in a river crossing...

How tragic...

Seriously.  M.L. McPherson, a respected gun writer with Precision Shooting Magazine, did a test on Billy Dixon's claim, and managed to shoot a life-size mounted horseman target in the leg from the distance.  So it can be done.  The two parts article is reprinted in the book "Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And I have a Shiloh Sharps, but given what I've seen in the pits I have little desire to spend $600+ for a vernier sight and globe.

You've probably seen crappy shooters.  (not sayin I ain't one of them.. I've never shot over 300 yards)

But you don't need to spend $600 on a good vernier sight.  I got a kick ass one for $250, IIRC.  

If you go to the Shiloh forums and search for Ron Heilman, you'll find info about it.  VERY nice sight, for HALF of what MVA charges.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Pedersoli Quigley model Sharps 45-110 540 grain... switching to paper patched...
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/NateAK006.jpg
Me and My Sharps
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/CowboySepia.jpg
I load a HEAVY lead slug slathered in SPG on up to 85 grains of 2F 777 and a magnum primer
Wet patch the barrel with Ballistol every 5 shots... she can print pretty respectable...
Sorry I don't have a scan of a target... But I guarantee she is well within minute of Buffalo out past a grand! and easily within minute of Kiowas warrior.... As long as he sat still!

That sir is one beautiful rifle!!  I'd love to shoot one like it some day...

Thank you kindly! Always loved that Movie and the Rifle finally got one when the finances permitted! Very Proud of her very proud!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I spent the day out shooting with my dad, didnt get to shoot my 1874 as its in the shop, but did shoot my 64 percussion Sharps and my 45LC Remmy conversion.  Dad loaned my his copy of "Shooting Buffalo Rifle of the Old West"

Have not gotten into it too far but was happy to find both a picture of Billy Dixon, and to find out that he was a winner of the CMOH!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top