Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've personally been a victum of some jackass tresspassing and photographing!  Now the pic is on google earth!  I have a friend who got fined by monsanto after they had too trespass over @ least 5 acres too get pics of some beans,  you laugh but that pic ended up costing about 20k in legal fees and then MONSANTO SAID OOPS WE MUST HAVE BEEN MISTAKEN.

Point being if you can make it illegal to take the pic then if the pic shows up in court guess what?????

I'll bet this, or any other law like it won't help you.

If you want their product or money they will just have you sign a waiver that grants them access.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
So does that mean the DEA will have to get permission before taking pictures of a grow operation on private property?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
A felony? Remind me again why the right supports both the BS laws that should never be illegal, let alone a felony; as well as supporting felons from not owning firearms?

While talking about smaller government.

yeah, unbelievable
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#4]
More proof that all government sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Dumbases come from all parties. I wouldnt have given  a flying fuck if someone took a picture of my farm..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There are retarded bills proposed all the time.  Any chance this thing could actually pass?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#7]
If this is to stop the Monsanto thugs great, but passing this bill will incur other ramifications.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A felony? Remind me again why the right supports both the BS laws that should never be illegal, let alone a felony; as well as supporting felons from not owning firearms?

While talking about smaller government.

Oh yeah, I forgot the glaring hypocrisy  angle as well. Good call.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesnt matter one bit who/what this proposed law is aimed at.  You CANNOT stop someone from photographing or video recording anything from public property.  The SCOTUS has ruled in the past that banning photography or video recording of anything from public property is a violation of the 1st Amendment.  Photography and video recording are seen as a form of speech.

Photographers Rights Statement .pdf

Really? Try using that logic in Downtown Charleston SC near the U.S. Customs house.  There are signs posted everywhere about federal law violations if caught taking photos in that area. Guy at work was a chaperone to a high school photography class and one of the kids took a photo of a warehouse from the street.  Homeland Security Paul Blart types jumped all over the teen and did an background check on him before releasing him.
And this is a freaking tourist area where everyone is carrying a camera!

And recently, like within the last 45 days, the SCOTUS has ruled that federal buildings can be photographed from public property.  Not all of the federal facilities have been notified yet.  In fact while in line to get a new social security card, I notice a flyer banning photography, and spoke to the buildings head of security about it, he took down the flyers.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what the push behind this is.

GR

From what we're gathering in the horse world, sounds like it's aimed at preventing the PETA assholes from causing problems.

Yes that is correct, it's the undercover farm vid crowd that this is aimed at

I must be living in a cave. I had no idea there was such a problem as "undercover farm videos". Can someone please bring me up to speed (seriously) because this is new to me? TIA.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GR

Perhaps to stop animal rights nutcases from trying to sandbag farmers to make their point?

First thing that sprung to mind was force feeding ducks for foie gras and the videos that popped up a couple years ago

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GR

From what we're gathering in the horse world, sounds like it's aimed at preventing the PETA assholes from causing problems.

I must be living in a cave. I had no idea there was such a problem as "undercover farm videos". Can someone please bring me up to speed (seriously) because this is new to me? TIA.

Everybody wants to be Michael Moore and make the next Supersize Me and Food, Inc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#15]
They should just cut to the chase and make breathing a felony.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#16]
This is one of the fucking stupidest bills I have ever heard of.

The author needs his head screwed on a bit tighter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Even if this is aimed at the PETA people, this law is ridiculous and again proves that Republicans are never far behind Democrats in proposing ridiculous laws.  The first section makes trespassing on to a farm a felony, which is horrible.  That's really unfair to take away someone's rights to vote and own firearms because of simple trespass.  We really don't need to make every crime a felony.  Also, note that part 2 is not dependent on part 1: you do not need to be trespassing AND taking a picture of a farm to be liable; you only have to take the photo of a farm without the written consent from the owner.  So like someone else suggested, you better not take any photos of farmland from your car or the road.

(1) A person who enters onto a farm or other property where legitimate agriculture operations are being conducted without the written consent of the owner, or an authorized representative of the owner, commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, Florida Statutes.

(2) A person who photographs, video records, or otherwise produces images or pictorial records, digital or otherwise, at or of a farm or other property where legitimate agriculture operations are being conducted without the written consent of the owner, or an authorized representative of the owner, commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, Florida Statutes.

(3) As used in this section, the term “farm” includes any tract of land cultivated for the purpose of agricultural production, the raising and breeding of domestic animals, or the storage of a commodity.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doesnt matter one bit who/what this proposed law is aimed at.  You CANNOT stop someone from photographing or video recording anything from public property.  The SCOTUS has ruled in the past that banning photography or video recording of anything from public property is a violation of the 1st Amendment.  Photography and video recording are seen as a form of speech.

Really? Try using that logic in Downtown Charleston SC near the U.S. Customs house.  There are signs posted everywhere about federal law violations if caught taking photos in that area. Guy at work was a chaperone to a high school photography class and one of the kids took a photo of a warehouse from the street.  Homeland Security Paul Blart types jumped all over the teen and did an background check on him before releasing him.

And recently, like within the last 45 days, the SCOTUS has ruled that federal buildings can be photographed from public property.  Not all of the federal facilities have been notified yet.  In fact while in line to get a new social security card, I notice a flyer banning photography, and spoke to the buildings head of security about it, he took down the flyers.  

This is good news!  I did not know this ruling was this recient.  The school trip took place either last year or two years ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/1246

Bill Introduced in Florida Would Make Photographing Farms a Felony [Florida SB 1246]

A person who photographs, video records or otherwise produces images or pictorial records, digital or otherwise, at or of a farm or other property where legitimate agriculture operations are being conducted without the written consent of the owner, or an authorized representative of the owner, commits a felony of the first degree.

so..... the press can hound you to death, and photograph you to death, anywhere and everywhere, and its all free speech. but if you take a picture of a corn field = felony....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good news!  I did not know this ruling was this recient.  The school trip took place either last year or two years ago.

I have to leave for a MD and DC appointment soon, but if you'll search GD, there was a small thread on it here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

GR

Competitor farmers coming up and taking pictures of how someone else does their operation, then copying it.

Basically intellectual theft.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If this is anti Monsanto, then we need to all get behind it and support it!!

I hate Monsanto with every fiber in my being (I refuse to eat a damn thing they grow), but this law is bullshit and over reaching.

The better solution is to make it illegal to patent LIFE, at the federal level.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to leave for a MD and DC appointment soon, but if you'll search GD, there was a small thread on it here.

I don't think it was a ruling from SCOTUS (that would be huge if they ruled there was a First Amendment right to photographing federal buildings).  I believe you are referring to the lawsuit filed against the Dep't of Homeland Security by the New York Civil Liberties Union.  The parties ended up settling, with one part of the settlement requiring DHS to acknolwedge the "public's general right to photograph the exterior of federal courthouses from publicly accessible spaces."

See here: NY Times blog

ETA:  Seems ridiculous when you think about it.  The DHS has now gone on record saying the public has the right to photograph all federal buildings throughout the U.S. (many of which are potential terrorist targets).  But in Florida, I would be a felon if I photographed a corn field from a county road.  Ludicrous.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it was a ruling from SCOTUS (that would be huge if they ruled there was a First Amendment right to photographing federal buildings).  I believe you are referring to the lawsuit filed against the Dep't of Homeland Security by the New York Civil Liberties Union.  The parties ended up settling, with one part of the settlement requiring DHS to acknolwedge the "public's general right to photograph the exterior of federal courthouses from publicly accessible spaces."

See here: NY Times blog

ETA:  Seems ridiculous when you think about it.  The DHS has now gone on record saying the public has the right to photograph all federal buildings throughout the U.S. (many of which are potential terrorist targets).  But in Florida, I would be a felon if I photographed a corn field from a county road.  Ludicrous.

are you saying you have thought about doing this?  

you could get busted for intent to photograph.
Or, if you get stopped on a country road and you have a camera with you(photography paraphernalia) you'd better have a damn good lawyer, because that would be PC to search your car.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps to stop animal rights nutcases from trying to sandbag farmers to make their point?

Screw that.

Take a step back, people.

Do we really want, I mean really want to charge people with felonies for taking pictures?

Really?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Sweet, my pre-ban farm pics will go up in value

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Violates Florida constitution.  Stupid bills get proposed in every legislature.  I'm sure introducing it made some donor very happy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

I'm not sure, but my .02 is this may be aimed at agro-terrorism.  In the same way information is requested of suspicious (?) photography of US infrastructure, this may be a parallel to that.  Very draconian, however.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. Why the Monsanto hate?

I don't know about everyone else, but for me it is because I want to grow a couple of acres of yellow dent open pollinated corn.

If mine gets crossed with some other guy's Monsanto GMO corn it will mess up my seed saving for next year.

That is bad enough in itself. But the biggie is the chance that a Monsanto goon will sample some of my corn and tests show that my current crop has traces of their proprietary corn DNA. That is when they sue me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. Why the Monsanto hate?

It's a lot like the Wal-Mart hate.  Monsanto patented some specific genetics that they developed. Huge gains in crop yields. Some farmers, rather than purchasing the seed from Monsanto each year, were keeping a portion of the crops they grew, and planted those seeds. That makes things complicated, since they (the farmers) grew and produced the seeds, but according to the patents and usage/licensing agreements, Monsanto owned the genetics. Cue shitstorm of high dollar corporate lawyers litigating small farmers into submission.

Nothing at all like Wal-Mart hate. If you buy the tools at Wal-Mart to start your own retail business, Wal-Mart does not then sue you over it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That is terrific!  That will keep the little "Round up" man from running around trespassing taking pics of your property then fining you because you didn't use your Round up ready beans in accordance with Monsanto's policy

It'll mean they can't introduce photographic evidence when they sue farmers.

Cops will find other uses for this law. It won't be applied to it's intended target.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If this is to stop the Monsanto thugs great, but passing this bill will incur other ramifications.

You don't think that Monsanto will just add the ability to enter your farm and photograph it to the license agreement?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Im surrounded by farms on 3 sides.....guess i cant take anymore photo's around the house for fear i may get a glimps of a farm out the window.....

you need to read the bill. It says you have to TRESPASS onto the farm and take pics.

GR

If you are trespassing, then you are already breaking the law.  

THIS - End of Thread.

I don't want some A-Hole Legislative tool banning taking photos if the guilty party is ALREADY trespassing and subject to arrest for that.

If they can ban photos from farms, then what next?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I for 1 will be happy too see it!  I'm very libertarian in most of my veiws, but I'm sick an tired of tresspassers!  And Monsanto may wanna agreement, but they oughta make it a right of the farmer too save his own seed!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"Pssst ............ want to buy some feelthy peektures? Virgin beets, mang ...................."

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't think that Monsanto will just add the ability to enter your farm and photograph it to the license agreement?

I'm certain that it is already there.  Their lawyers aren't stupid.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Only in florida
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
if your farm is in plain view I'll photograph it just to piss 'em off

Even if you're taking pics from public property you'll want to make sure your camera is a legal configuration of features. If it has a slot for a removable memory card  or a removable film cartridge you're only allowed to have one of the following other features: optical zoom lens, wrist strap, tripod mount, LCD preview/review screen.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if you're taking pics from public property you'll want to make sure your camera is a legal configuration of features. If it has a slot for a removable memory card  or a removable film cartridge you're only allowed to have one of the following other features: optical zoom lens, wrist strap, tripod mount, LCD preview/review screen.

Is my sarcasm meter out of whack?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw that.

Take a step back, people.

Do we really want, I mean really want to charge people with felonies for taking pictures?

Really?

My other hobby has people fighting in court right now.  Railfans.  Cops that dont know what the fuck they are doing, arresting railfans for taking pictures of trains from public streets, sidewalks, passenger stations, etc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And for God's sake, make sure the lens doesn't have a bayonet mount.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And for God's sake, make sure the lens doesn't have a bayonet mount.

Does it fire more than once for each shutter button press?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Good for Florida!

I wish Ohio would do this. Back in the '80's there was a guy flying around taking pictures of peoples farms then trying to sell them to the farmers for $150.

Tried it on my friend who threw him off his property.

Many around here told him he'd best get to his car and off the property before they got to their shotguns and back to the door!

It's all about privacy, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good for Florida!

I wish Ohio would do this. Back in the '80's there was a guy flying around taking pictures of peoples farms then trying to sell them to the farmers for $150.

Many around here told him he'd best get to his car and off the property before they got to their shotguns and back to the door!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I for 1 will be happy too see it!  I'm very libertarian in most of my veiws, but I'm sick an tired of tresspassers!  And Monsanto may wanna agreement, but they oughta make it a right of the farmer too save his own seed!

While I know very little about farming, despite my living in Nebraska, I'm fairly certian that farmers wouldn't be able to afford the one time buy of seed if they were able to use it in perpituity.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good for Florida!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dumbest post in this thread

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good for Florida!

Do you know how overbroad this law is written?  If you are on a country road and taking pictures of the rolling landscape and shoot a photo of a citrus farm, you're now a felon.  Also, there really is no right to privacy for stuff that is in plain view (like farmland adjacent to public roads).  So I don't have a right to privacy in the outside of my house, which is off a public street.

Also, this law is so absurd it would make the Google Streetview car a felon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#50]
The point of undercover, hidden camera work is that it is a) under cover and b) with a hidden camera....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top