Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
obesity, not just for humans.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot 2 four-foot rattlesnakes that were squatting at my buddies camp. If I saw that fucker under the cabin I would just hand him the keys to the door and say "The camp's all yours" and briskly walk to the Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah... you want to shoot that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Couple pair of boots and a belt, at least.

Or a single hat band for obungo.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My Uncle almost lost his leg when he got hit by a 18" rattlesnake.

Can you imagine the volume of venom that one of that size could deliver?

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hmm...getting some strange readings from my B.S. meter. Got sauce on this image?

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/DavysLocker/SkepticalHippo.jpg

I agree with skeptical hippo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]

My fellow friends and family,

We have killed 57 rattlesnakes on two separate ranches this year. 24 @South bend & 33 @ Murray , since mid May.

Not one has buzzed!

We provoked one fair sized boy with a stick and he coiled & struck at the stick a couple of times before he buzzed up and rattled.

The purpose of this explanation is that I have been hearing the same from fellow ranchers and hunters in regards to the lack of warning with rattlesnakes.

I had lunch with a friend today and he offered a theory about the fact that these bugs aren't rattling anymore.

He raised pigs for years and reported that when he would hear a rattlesnake buzzing in the sow pen, the sows would bee line to it and fight over the snake.

For the uninformed, pigs love to eat rattlesnakes.

Therefore, the theory is they are ceasing to rattle to avoid detection, since there are plenty of pigs roaming the countryside.

I have a neighbor ranching lady who was bitten 3 weeks ago 2 times by the same snake without any warning....she spent 5 days in ICU, after 22 vials of anti-venom she is back at the ranch and still may lose her foot or worse yet her lower leg.

The days of perceived warning are over.

Keep your boots on and use a light when out and about.

As you all know, one can pop up just about anywhere!

You may wish to forward this to anyone that would be interested.
Sincerely,

Norman D. Stovall, III
Agri-Ventures Corp.
Managing Partner
Sid Palmour
Texas Energy & Equipment LLP

more pic of big azz rattlers

http://www.snakeboots.com/snakepic.htm
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Sweet

keep it around and you shouldnt have to worry about vermin
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rattle snakes will not bite you if you don't mess with them.

Not familiar with the Mojave flavor of rattler, are ya?

A couple of weeks ago I was damn near tagged by a coon tail that gave absolutely no warning.  The first time i was aware of him was as he uncoiled toward my leg and hissed.  More and more we're hearing stories about how Western Diamondbacks aren't rattling or warning...they just strike.  

As for the bastard that nearly got me...he lives in my office now.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/PAS48329/photobucket-31478-1348086922580_zpsd5e67cbd.jpg?t=1348086926

Yup, same thing happened to my dog not long ago. Was walking behind him when I see him jump back from a bush only to be followed by the buzz worm pictured  about one inch from his nose. Didn't get him lucky for me, no so lucky for snake. First rattler I've seen that didn't rattle at all, even after I approached it after initial strike at my dog. That's some scary shit, least they warned us before

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
big ass rattler
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Yeah you are probably right...they aren't really that big

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w399/rwehnau/P8311079-1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
That pic was part of a thread hear 2-3 months ago or so.  Couldn't find it in the archives though.  

Pretty cool thread since Ponyboy got in on it with some of his rattlesnake capturing vids.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the biggest rattlesnakes I have ever seen was at Cattlemans outside of Hell Paso. This thing was well fed an twice the size in girth of the other rattlers in the pen. With that said it was still less than half the size of the one in ops picture. Gonna go with camera trickery/photoshop on this one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You may be right. That rabbit was probable the runt of the litter.

Quoted:
One of the biggest rattlesnakes I have ever seen was at Cattlemans outside of Hell Paso. This thing was well fed an twice the size in girth of the other rattlers in the pen. With that said it was still less than half the size of the one in ops picture. Gonna go with camera trickery/photoshop on this one.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I would be catching that boy, give him a couple of days to digest his meal, then make a meal out of him.  Rattlesnake meat is really tasty when done right.   A little egg batter, roll in corn meal, and flash fry it on a griddle, and it is sort of a cross between scallops and shrimp in texture, without any fishy or wierd taste.  I really liked it and would gladly eat it again because it tastes good....not just to wierd people out.  

We had a sack full of headless rattle snakes in a bag in the fridge.  When my Mom opened the fridge and the bag fell on the floor, the headless snakes were still squirming, and of course Mom freaked.  That evening when we ate the snakes, even Mom enjoyed them.  Our snakes were only about 3 feet long, and the back strap meat was about the size of a little finger.

Some people use the ribs of snakes to make really nice necklaces.  They string through where the spinal column goes, put beads between the ribs and get some rather striking necklaces.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I must admit, even if this chick is short,  this is still a big boy...

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn!
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i49.tinypic.com/66w8lc.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2cs6jbq.jpg

Look at that grip. She knows what she's doing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what caliber for giant rattle snake?  

What caliber would a fucking hand grenade be?

40mm?
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
And that's another reason my shotgun has a bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

More and more we're hearing stories about how Western Diamondbacks aren't rattling or warning...they just strike.

Some folks say that has to do with the explosion of feral hogs. Snakes would rattle, but the hogs would kill and eat them. So the snakes are supposedly learning not to rattle before they strike.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i49.tinypic.com/66w8lc.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2cs6jbq.jpg

You kids in Florida have some strange ideas about what yearbook photos are supposed to look like.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They serve a purpose.

To illustrate this, I will provide the example of the Sweetwater and Odessa Texas area, where they have had the "Rattlesnake Round Up" for many years where thousands of snakes are capured for this event. A few years ago the rodent population grew so large due to lack natural predators that they actually had an outbreak of Yersinia Pestis (Bubonic Plague). This disease ca be transmitted to humans by a flea that has bitten an infected rodent, and is dependent on large rodent populations, rats and prairie dogs are known vectors.

Rattle snakes will not bite you if you don't mess with them. They are very reclusive and can be avaoided by making lots of noise when you wlak though likely rattlecnake habitat. Wearing boots and sbake gaiters is also wise. I would not kill a rattlesnake unless it was somewhere where it could endanger livestock or children.  Cotton mouths, on the other hand....

You're wasting your time with that sort of logic. Most of Arfcom has a HUGE e-penis when it comes to everything but snakes and spiders. And then you see all the vaginas on display.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They serve a purpose.

To illustrate this, I will provide the example of the Sweetwater and Odessa Texas area, where they have had the "Rattlesnake Round Up" for many years where thousands of snakes are capured for this event. A few years ago the rodent population grew so large due to lack natural predators that they actually had an outbreak of Yersinia Pestis (Bubonic Plague). This disease ca be transmitted to humans by a flea that has bitten an infected rodent, and is dependent on large rodent populations, rats and prairie dogs are known vectors.

Rattle snakes will not bite you if you don't mess with them. They are very reclusive and can be avaoided by making lots of noise when you wlak though likely rattlecnake habitat. Wearing boots and sbake gaiters is also wise. I would not kill a rattlesnake unless it was somewhere where it could endanger livestock or children.  Cotton mouths, on the other hand....

You're wasting your time with that sort of logic. Most of Arfcom has a HUGE e-penis when it comes to everything but snakes and spiders. And then you see all the vaginas on display.

<––––––-   Admitted Vagina with snakes....

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I remain unconvinced that snakes are useful.  They eat a rodent every week or every few days?  Barn cats need two per day to live.  A sociopathic Jack Russell Terrier doesn't even keep a tally.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]
we got snakes all over and my job has me at some very remote locations.   last thing I need is a trip to the hospital.

friend found a young rattlesnake in his front yard earlier this week here in Golden
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
anyone have a guestimate on length and girth of that thing.  that rabbit has to be 4 inches thick at least and it's thicker than the rabbit.  5 - 6" girth and maybe 7 to 8' long?  Think I would be close.  man, that thing looks solid

Probably 5 or 6 feet. They're pretty heavy bodied(in between a Burmese and a blood python for girth). I'd say that one is in the 6 foot range.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#29]
damn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top