BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What's with all the paranoia?!

I actually make my living working as a professional assistant to Craigslist shoppers, and it is very customary to pay by an obscure bank's money order.  Furthermore, it's standard pratice with these obscure banks to issue MO's of $400-$500 for a $100 item, and have the seller write a check out of his own account for the difference.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I actually make my living working as a professional assistant to Craigslist shoppers, and it is very customary to pay by an obscure bank's money order.  Furthermore, it's standard pratice with these obscure banks to issue MO's of $400-$500 for a $100 item, and have the seller write a check out of his own account for the difference.

Surely you jest, and the beer has caught up to me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just trying to provide some comic relief for your labor-day weekend.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just trying to provide some comic relief for your labor-day weekend.

<HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF>

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hmmm. That sucks. I don't blame ya for wanting to get rid of it.

That's actually something I was concerned about, since the shape of my Xterra is already kinda bulbous and the rack sits up high, so I paid attention to it and I couldn't tell any difference. I did remove my factory fairing when I put it up, though. I don't know if that made any difference, but since I didn't see a decrease in MPG I left the rack on.  

Thing is, I don't WANT to get rid of it... it is very useful and (as someone pointed out) is tough as nails, etc. But I'm in a financial bind right now, I'm not using it, and the few bucks I got for it has been helpful.

I guess I'll respond to someone else's sale of a LW someday... by saying "I will send yo a check 'cos I need to get it in my lovely wife..."
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would probably just tell him it already sold to somebody for cash and just forget about the nigerian.

Or you can tell him to mail you a VISA gift card with $200 credit on it. Once you get the VISA gift card you can call the 1800# on the back and verify the ammount. or something.

Tell him you need a picture of him standing infront of his house holding a sign saying "I live ARFCOM" hahahah.

I already DID that! Now, he wants me to cash the money order, give $200 to his shipper, and keep $20 for my troubles. The GALL of this guy!

BTW... If I think  something's a scam, and I got it in the US Mail... doesn't that make it a federal case? I'm thinking that the local postmaster may be the person to contact.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
EVERY TIME i list an item for sale on Craig's List i receive a scam reply...

"b'cos"  is a very nigerian figure of speech [lowercase N ]

I would accept the fake MO and tell the scammer you're gonna buy drugs with the received money

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would probably just tell him it already sold to somebody for cash and just forget about the nigerian.

Or you can tell him to mail you a VISA gift card with $200 credit on it. Once you get the VISA gift card you can call the 1800# on the back and verify the ammount. or something.

Tell him you need a picture of him standing infront of his house holding a sign saying "I live ARFCOM" hahahah.

I already DID that! Now, he wants me to cash the money order, give $200 to his shipper, and keep $20 for my troubles. The GALL of this guy!

BTW... If I think  something's a scam, and I got it in the US Mail... doesn't that make it a federal case? I'm thinking that the local postmaster may be the person to contact.

Tell him your bank stated the MO was illegitimate, and would not cash it.  Ask him to send you Western Union Cash to you for the item, and you will mail the fake MO back, with $50 for his troubles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Total scam.  Glad you were smart enough to catch it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Total scam.  Glad you were smart enough to catch it...

Catch it? Hell, I'm inviting everyone to the party while I play this guy like a catfish.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top