Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
USAA

Just don't use them for insurance.  They keep all banking and investing services in house, but they outsource their insurance.  I had the pleasure of being stiffed to the tune of $7568 by USAA insurance.  They covered $5400 of the damage.  About 2mo after this happened I was on a wine tasting tour and just happened to be with a group of USAA employees, one of which was the VP of Customer Service.  I explained my issues to her and she apologized, then went to explain that they aren't actually an insurer, but are underwriters for another insurance company.  She said they constantly have complaints on their insurance division and it causes major issues at the C-level of USAA, but right now they are under a pretty strict contract and can't do much.

I find this odd.  When I was stationed in Guam, my house was broken into and an estimated $13K stolen.  Minus the deductable, I had $11,500 check in my hands in about a week.  Also, in Hurricane Katrina, they bent over backwards to get my car fixed ASAP.  They charge a little extra, but they ease of service and dependability is very worth it.

See EagleArmsHBAR's response, he added some additional information that I didn't have that explained why you will have differing levels of service with their insurance.  I am ensuring a luxury sports car, which is a high risk proposition, which is why I was probably treated differently than someone with a honda civic or the like.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
USAA

Just don't use them for insurance.  They keep all banking and investing services in house, but they outsource their insurance.  I had the pleasure of being stiffed to the tune of $7568 by USAA insurance.  They covered $5400 of the damage.  About 2mo after this happened I was on a wine tasting tour and just happened to be with a group of USAA employees, one of which was the VP of Customer Service.  I explained my issues to her and she apologized, then went to explain that they aren't actually an insurer, but are underwriters for another insurance company.  She said they constantly have complaints on their insurance division and it causes major issues at the C-level of USAA, but right now they are under a pretty strict contract and can't do much.

This is not entirely true.  USAA does underwrite their insurance in house, but there are different levels of it.  In some limited cases, based on risk, they will use a different company.  USAA is its own insurance company, investment company, and bank.  It is possible you were in a risk category, or using a type of insurance (motorcycle) that required them to broker it for you.

As noted It all depends on the level of risk they view you as.  Once they opened the insurance to non-officers they also started to subcontract their higher risk policies.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top