oh and the traitor should hang 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Drawn and Quartered
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He must think he has a strong case to go this route.....
View Quote
Or his defense is some complicated technical procedure that a jury is too stupid to understand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your opinion is noted, like dogshit on my shoe.
View Quote
I rost.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
He deserted, right? Firing squad.

Sell chances to his current division to be on the firing squad. Ten bucks per ticket. Give the money to a local charity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
GD will never learn to not engage known trolls.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GD will never learn to not engage known trolls.
View Quote
GD can't differentiate between actual trolling and "person with different viewpoint". Therefore anyone who opposes the mob is a "troll".
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

GD can't differentiate between actual trolling and "person with different viewpoint". Therefore anyone who opposes the mob is a "troll".
View Quote
We didn't give you the rep, you earned it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We didn't give you the rep, you earned it.  
View Quote
Yes, by having a different opinion. Shame on me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys should listen to the Serial podcast about his case. It's not as clear-cut as you think. It sounds like he should never have been in the military to begin with due to mental and behavioral issues, but it really doesn't sound like he's a traitor or Taliban sympathizer.

At any rate he was held and tortured by the enemy for 5 years. Further punishment seems pointless.
View Quote
You know people died looking for this turd, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Firing squad? Can they still do that in the military?
View Quote
I wish. 

We we had a number of good guys we lost. Looking for that cocksucker.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe there wasn't any evidence of casualties related to the search operations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. He cost good people their lives.
I believe there wasn't any evidence of casualties related to the search operations.
@ KAC_Whore, YOU'RE FULL OF FUCKING SHIT!!!!! We were on a few missions looking for that fucking traitor. I got blown the fuck up looking for him in the Ghazni area because there was a rumor he could have been held in and around Ghazni. We were pulled of our regular patrols for that shit-stain. I loaded up good Soldiers on a Medevac Chopper because of him. Shut the fuck up and don't open your cock holster in my direction anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually it's a smart decision
View Quote
This.

If you are accused of a heinous crime, you want a judge who is not going to be emotionally swayed.

Misbehavior before the enemy is a heinous crime to military people; especially from an Infantryman.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Let the families and team mates of those killed looking for him be his judge and jury.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lets see who the judge is.  That will figure this one out very quickly.
View Quote
They're all the same IMO
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@ KAC_Whore, YOU'RE FULL OF FUCKING SHIT!!!!! We were on a few missions looking for that fucking traitor. I got blown the fuck up looking for him in the Ghazni area because there was a rumor he could have been held in and around Ghazni. We were pulled of our regular patrols for that shit-stain. I loaded up good Soldiers on a Medevac Chopper because of him. Shut the fuck up and don't open your cock holster in my direction anymore.
View Quote
I should have specified "deaths" rather than casualties.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. He cost good people their lives.
So you weren't specific and now your on your bike back pedaling.

Or you don't know shit. You shoulda stayed shut up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I admitted I misspoke, and corrected it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope he gets timed served or found not guilty. He is a hero.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You took your time getting here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You took your time getting here.
View Quote
Ya, I was busy working on bergdahl tshirts and mugs all day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hero for what.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
And deserving of a statue
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Judge has been bought?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Burial at sea? Alive...
View Quote
What ever these guys decide. One of the things I've learned in my short time here is that when MIL guys here start agreeing with each other in mas just get out of the way and let them do their thing. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
There he is!

I hope the same thing, as well, in all honesty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought a general had already been convened? How does he only go before the judge now?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Can we give him to the Navy for a keel hauling? Preferably on an Nimitz Class.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Hang that low life POS!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys should listen to the Serial podcast about his case. It's not as clear-cut as you think. It sounds like he should never have been in the military to begin with due to mental and behavioral issues, but it really doesn't sound like he's a traitor or Taliban sympathizer.

At any rate he was held and tortured by the enemy for 5 years. Further punishment seems pointless.
View Quote
Did I really read this flowery crap?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought a general had already been convened? How does he only go before the judge now?
View Quote
In a general court-martial, the accused always has the right to choose judge-alone or panel to hear his guilty plea or his trial.  Sentencing too.  

The weirdest case I saw was where a guy cut a deal to plead not guilty but to agree in writing to all the facts the prosecution wanted him to admit to, in exchange for a maximum limit on his jail sentence.  Yes, it can be done.  Ultimately, it meant he got the benefit of a cap on his sentence even though he believed he committed no crime, although he readily admitted he did all the things he was accused of.

The accused was a fucking knucklehead who did not realize how good his lawyer was for him (not me, a guy who worked for me).  The best part was, during a break in his court-martial, the accused's guards let him step outside to smoke a cig.  The judge comes out of his chambers, looks through a window, says, "hey, trial counsel, is that the accused running away across the parking lot?" Yep! "There he goes!"  He later got court-martialed for fleeing from his own court-martial.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He must think he has a strong case to go this route.....
View Quote
The exact opposite.  His defense counsel knows that a Court with members made up of combat arms officers would hang him in quick order.   Trial by Military Judge alone is his only hope... they tend to be lenient.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The exact opposite.  His defense counsel knows that a Court with members made up of combat arms officers would hang him in quick order.   Trial by Military Judge alone is his only hope... they tend to be lenient.
View Quote
You think he understands what's going to happen to him as soon as he's released from custody?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You didn't misspeak. You were and are trolling. This isn't the topic for trolling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You guys are leaping to make low-information decisions. Berating me won't change that. I've been following the case and actually have done reading about it. I'm not saying he's completely innocent, but there's a large chance he's just a stupid, deluded kid with attention-seeking tendencies who shouldn't have been in the Army, but who isn't a traitor or defector.

Don't be an angry mob, that's so 16th century.
View Quote
Again, even if everything you and he say is true, plenty of people do stupid shit everyday and they still have to suffer the consequences. So give him 10 years, a dishonorable discharge and send him back to that silly coffee shop he loved so much for the rest of his life, making minimum wage and living with his parents.

Does he deserve death? Naw, that's a GD thing. The mil hasn't put anybody to death in a long time. What he does deserve is criminal and civil sanctions that will follow him the rest of his life, along with the scorn of the military he supposedly loved so much and wanted "to fix."

By his own words, he walked off his post. "To bring attention to injustices"? Fuck that. That's like a gang member who robs a bank and shoots someone and then claims he was trying to bring attention to his  inner city plight. Guess what? We still give that guy 20 years. Why should Bergdahl be any different?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I doubt the last part of that very much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I once heard that if you are guilty, get a judge.  If you are innocent, go for the jury.
View Quote
Other way around. If you have a sound legal case, go with a judge only. If you have a case based on emotion, go with a jury.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is there more than one podcast? The one I listened to made it very clear that he deserted his post in the face of the enemy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Did anybody who knows anything about military justice think this would go any other way?

It's the only sane decision to be made. Judges tend to be (relative to panels) unswayed by emotion and public opinion, capable of hearing complex legal arguments, and more lenient in sentences.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because it is still a Court Martial. They haven't altered the type of proceeding, just the fact finder. This is way more common than people realize.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

snip

The accused was a fucking knucklehead who did not realize how good his lawyer was for him (not me, a guy who worked for me).  The best part was, during a break in his court-martial, the accused's guards let him step outside to smoke a cig.  The judge comes out of his chambers, looks through a window, says, "hey, trial counsel, is that the accused running away across the parking lot?" Yep! "There he goes!"  He later got court-martialed for fleeing from his own court-martial.
View Quote
Did the accused even understand their lawyer was a real lawyer?
The number of soldiers who thing JAs are soldier assigned to a temp position or only went to a 2 month Military school is astounding.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is why they make you post your law degree on the wall. The number of soldiers who thing JAs are soldier assigned to a temp position or only went to a 2 month Military school is astounding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

This is why they make you post your law degree on the wall. The number of soldiers who thing JAs are soldier assigned to a temp position or only went to a 2 month Military school is astounding.
this particular cat didn't understand much about life because he was such a shitbag.  I swear he must have had Oppositional-Defiant Disorder or something.

To your point: When I started in JAG Corps, I took every damn degree or credential I had, went to the post arts and crafts center, and framed them all.  Hung that shit up all over my office when I was in Legal Assistance and Trial Defense Service so my clients would know I was a real lawyer.  But in TDS I also spent a lot of time building client trust and relationship.  Thus, I never had a complaint against me, and I had only one guy who ever backed out of a guilty plea deal to fuck me over, get a new lawyer, and negotiate a better deal -- which didn't happen (he was a POS and the government said, "OK, now that you busted the deal at your guilty plea, we're tacking on a shitload more charges").
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hang the bastard.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I once heard that if you are guilty, get a judge.  If you are innocent, go for the jury.
View Quote
I think it's the opposite. Ref. the Brown Freddie Gray trials in Baltimore.

Edited because I'm starting my tumble into senile dementia.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think it's the opposite. Ref. the Brown trials in Baltimore.
View Quote
You're referencing the paradigm of race justice whereas guilty parties are acquitted due to the color of their skin, which BTW, works both ways.  Bergdahl would stand zero chance with a jury in a .MIL CM. If this was civilian trial he might have a chance but with Joe sitting in the jury box he's a dead man. He knows it and so does his lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you have a case in which public sympathy is against you and the law is for you, get a judge.

if you have a case in which public sympathy is for you and the law is against you, get a jury.

if you have a case in which public sympathy is against you and the law is against you, get a good plea deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It is clear cut. I read every word of the transcript of his case. Too bad the enemy didn't kill him.

But, since he is alive and made it back to us, I think that he should be hung by the neck to gently choke in the wind, a needle stuck in his arm and poison started, and a firing squad should squeeze their rounds off. I don't really care wether the rope, needle or bullets finishes him off.

Then all the brothers of those who were lost or injured in his search should be permitted to desecrate his body at will.

And that's just off the top of my head. I could get inventive if I took a bit to think about it. Probably ought to use a KA-BAR, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is clear cut. I read every word of the transcript of his case. Too bad the enemy didn't kill him.

But, since he is alive and made it back to us, I think that he should be hung by the neck to gently choke in the wind, a needle stuck in his arm and poison started, and a firing squad should squeeze their rounds off. I don't really care wether the rope, needle or bullets finishes him off.

Then all the brothers of those who were lost or injured in his search should be permitted to desecrate his body at will.

And that's just off the top of my head. I could get inventive if I took a bit to think about it. Probably ought to use a KA-BAR, too.
No need to desecrate a KaBar. A rusty pair of scissors would suffice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You're referencing the paradigm of race justice whereas guilty parties are acquitted due to the color of their skin, which BTW, works both ways.  Bergdahl would stand zero chance with a jury in a .MIL CM. If this was civilian trial he might have a chance but with Joe sitting in the jury box he's a dead man. He knows it and so does his lawyer.
View Quote
Ack - the Freddie Gray trials, not Brown. Basically the jury was going to find the officers guilty based on the contamination of the jury pool by the media and the race of done of the officers. The officers choose a bench trial because, while it's generally easier to get a Not Guilty verdict from a jury, that just wasn't going to happen, so they took their chances with a bench trial.

I believe this is similar. From the reactions here, NFW is a jury with military members going to acquit him. He *still* has a shitty case, but some chance is better than none.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You guys are leaping to make low-information decisions. Berating me won't change that. I've been following the case and actually have done reading about it. I'm not saying he's completely innocent, but there's a large chance he's just a stupid, deluded kid with attention-seeking tendencies who shouldn't have been in the Army, but who isn't a traitor or defector.

Don't be an angry mob, that's so 16th century.
View Quote
There are alot of combat veterans on this site.
Many of us are quite educated on Bergdahl and what happened because some of us were there, or most of us were initially horrified at the thought of another service member being held captive by the Taliban and were quite sure his death would be horrific and video recorded and released to the public in no time flat. When that didnt happen and further information came out, we were horrified for different reasons and quite understandably angered by what we learned.

You've been here 5 minutes and have the gall to state we're not educated and dont know what the fuck we're talking about here?
Go fuck yourself.

I'm all for differing opinions, but this is well known and well discussed here.
Bergdahl is a deserter and a traitor, and should be tried for such.

If you dont know what you're talking about, then you really shouldnt stumble in here and start telling "what really happened".
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top