Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 5'6" and I'm short. So, I'd say 5'9" is the borderline.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm 6'4, I don't notice short since most people are shorter than me....I only notice when someone is as tall or taller than me. You just get used to looking down.

I am 6' 2 and notice the same thing.  I never notice short people, but someone taller than me make me feel weird/short.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Guys.....you have to take age into account on this here "I'm bigger than you" poll. The older you are the less your fixed averages are. I'm 5'10 and being over 50 Im fine w/it. The young guys down the gym are a diffrent story. I'd estimate 6ft is average these days.One kid is 6'9"...325.Must be a beeotch 2feed!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
5'9" here and I loved it when I was stationed in Japan. I felt like a giant. When I get big boys in my flight I make'em bend down when I smoke them, they don't like it, but it puts them in their place.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on this chart (using data collected in 1988-94), median height for 30-year-old white males in the US is 69.7". Bottom 25% is <68.5".

Some more interesting charts here:

www.halls.md/chart/men-height-w.htm
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
<6'0

Because 6'0 is the start of tall.

+1 anything shorter than I am is short.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]

In my old regiment (back in Denmark), the height requirement was 5'9" (175cm).  

When new infantry companies were formed (we had a draft then), recruits would be placed in units according to height.  Usually two companies were created at a time - so there was a "tall" company and a "short" company.  Since I'm 6'3", I was in the tall company, and we picked mercilessly on the "shorties" - who were people from about 6' down to 5'9" - so, to me, anything under 6" is kind of short.  Anything under 5'9" is really short.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
im 6'2" and sometimes I feel short....
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
 my dad was 6'5" ,one of the few accomplishments in his life, being an over bearing asshole was his greatest one.  

I spent my youth listening to him brag about his hieght. I was constantly told during my teen years how much taller,bigger,stronger he was than me at the same age.   I constantly felt inadequate growing up.

I ended up at 6'2" in my stocking feet.  I may as well be 5' nothing becuase to me, I'm short.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 5'11, 165 lbs, and people tell me I'm small all the time.  I thought I was about average, but I sometimes overhear people describing me as small.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

When new infantry companies were formed (we had a draft then), recruits would be placed in units according to height.  Usually two companies were created at a time - so there was a "tall" company and a "short" company.  Since I'm 6'3", I was in the tall company, and we picked mercilessly on the "shorties" - who were people from about 6' down to 5'9" - so, to me, anything under 6" is kind of short.  Anything under 5'9" is really short.  

Oh for christ sakes.  I've seen you and we threw a green leafy toga on you you could be on a green beans can and look right at home.    Judgin by that standard is unfair.

At 5'9" I'll admit it.  I've got too much Irish in me.  I just tell people I'm one of the 'wee people' laugh, and get on with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im about 7 inches, and curve slightly to the left.

Right handed huh.

yup
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh for christ sakes.  I've seen you and we threw a green leafy toga on you you could be on a green beans can and look right at home.    Judgin by that standard is unfair.

That picture taken of me at MODCC (out at CMMG) is very misleading

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I left out an "if" there didn't I?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I left out an "if" there didn't I?

I almost added it to the quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Being 6'5"...

Anything under 6' is short... considering that under 6' I generally have to look really far down.

Damn kinks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
6'3" or less is short..............I'm 6'5"
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wife must be tall.  Remembering back from your wedding pictures, IIRC she hits you about the nose?

Patty
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife thinks Im really short, Im 5 ' 11 , problem is, shes 6"1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm 5'5" or so, so anything me and below.

It's kinda nice being my hieght. I get to use all the East-Bloc stuff easier than tall/lengthy people, I (along with my shorter comrades) can out dirnk the tall people, I can donate a shit load of blood and never be effected, having a lower center of gravity is great in fights, aerospce techonology and equipment is fun to mess with then you're the only one among a group of friends. I can crawl around in my dorms ductwork and scare the shit out of people at 3:30 in the morning through the vents...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 5'7"

It sucks being so short, but I do get the occasional laugh when someone hits their head on something I can easily walk under.  Thats all I have to look forward to day to day.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#23]
6' 185lb
same ht & wt for the last 30 years
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Your wife must be tall.  Remembering back from your wedding pictures, IIRC she hits you about the nose?

Patty

I can never remember how tall she is - but I'm always surprised at how "short" she is when she reminds me, because she seems pretty tall to me.  I think she might actually be 5'10" or something like that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m 5’ 4.5” and I put up with shit my whole life, still do, but I don’t let it get to me. Does it really matter how tall a person is? Height to me is not measured physically but fortitudinally.

I wanted to be an MP, but was laughed at by the recruiters because of my height. I choose aviation, but ended up going to basic training anyways with MP’s at Fort McClellan, and will never forget the talking I had with my DS one night while on CQ.

He noticed the shit I received every where we went because I stood out like a sore thumb in a company full of guys upwards of 6’. He told me a story of one of his first Plt. Sgt’s who was about my height.  He said that guy was one of the toughest meanest little son-of-a -bitches he ever knew, and that I should never let my size compromise my leadership abilities. And I never did.

My father-in-law saw these same qualities in me as well. He was a former member of the 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking, so you know the height profile he fit. He told my wife once, “That little American might be might be 5’ 4” but what he lacks in height he gained in knowledge.”

Height does not make a man “grown-up.”
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm 5'5" or so, so anything me and below.

It's kinda nice being my hieght. I get to use all the East-Bloc stuff easier than tall/lengthy people, I (along with my shorter comrades) can out dirnk the tall people, I can donate a shit load of blood and never be effected, having a lower center of gravity is great in fights, aerospce techonology and equipment is fun to mess with then you're the only one among a group of friends. I can crawl around in my dorms ductwork and scare the shit out of people at 3:30 in the morning through the vents...

I've never noticed any effects from donating blood...but I thought that was because I'm a stocky mofo
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#27]
There was a Randy Neman song about 'Short People' I remember.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you ever notice short guys are usually built. I guess making up for the lack of height.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Have you ever notice short guys are usually built. I guess making up for the lack of height.

I got 6' 4" of muscle packed into a 5' 4" frame! That's why the wimmenz luv us!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got 6' 4" of muscle flab packed into a 5' 4" frame! That's why the wimmenz luv us!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got 6' 4" of muscle flab packed into a 5' 4" frame! That's why the wimmenz luv us!

Your speaking for your self right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#32]
The Dutch are the World's Tallest People
By our Science editor Anne Blair Gould / Updated 7 September 1999

07-09-1999

It's official - the people of The Netherlands are the tallest in the world. The average Dutch man measures 184 cms - or just over 6 feet, and the average Dutch woman measures 170.8 cms or just over 5 foot 7 inches.

The next tallest are the Scandinavians - the men in Sweden, Norway and Denmark for example average 179 - 180 cms or about 5 foot 11 inches. But - unlike the Dutch - the Scandinavians seem to have stopped growing, having averaged the same height for the last 40 years or so. Some way behind in the league of heights come North American and British men who average around 176 cms - or about 5 foot 9 -10 inches.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Its alot easier for a shorter guy to get "built". Im not sure why though, and its one pro to being short.

And yeah, I sorta been trying to get a bit more buff to compensate for the height
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

07-09-1999

It's official - the people of The Netherlands are the tallest in the world. The average Dutch man measures 184 cms - or just over 6 feet, and the average Dutch woman measures 170.8 cms or just over 5 foot 7 inches.

The next tallest are the Scandinavians - the men in Sweden, Norway and Denmark for example average 179 - 180 cms or about 5 foot 11 inches. But - unlike the Dutch - the Scandinavians seem to have stopped growing, having averaged the same height for the last 40 years or so. Some way behind in the league of heights come North American and British men who average around 176 cms - or about 5 foot 9 -10 inches.

I've met some freakishly tall Dutch dudes.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Under 5'10"
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

5'4" here, bench 225 eight times
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5'4" here, bench 225 eight times

Well they say you should be able to at least bench your own weight for one rep.
Hey, that’s fair, mjohn3006 called me fat!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

07-09-1999

Yeah, they're tall, but they don't have human souls.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
This guy was definitely "short"

Poor guy - he was literally a midget by Danish standards.    But he made up for it with agression and attitude.

I'm one of the guys standing next to him.

(This was in sergeant's school, btw, where regiments were mixed.  He would obviously never have been allowed in my home regiment).
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Poor guy - he was literally a midget by Danish standards.    But he made up for it with agression and attitude.

Did you guys have him pack march to circus music?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#42]
i'm 5'7"

i had severe insomnia during most of my adolescent years.  parents: please make sure your kids are getting enough sleep!  i'm pretty sure that this is what's to blame for me being shorter than the rest of the men in my family.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you guys have him pack march to circus music?

He almost got more shit than the one black guy in the entire sergeant's school.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There are no blacks in Demnark.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are no blacks in Demnark.

That was why he got so much shit.    He may have been the first black sergeant in the Danish military.

Actually, when I was back in the regiment in 1989, we got the first black person EVER in the regiment.  I still remember him.  His name was Michael, and he later became a sergeant and was a relaly good guy.  Since my regiment drew heavily from rural Jutland, he would literally have been the first black man that many of the soldier would ever have seen in their lives.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
This guy was definitely "short"

That poor guy must have been the Danish Armys Quib! I sure can relate to how he must have felt. Us short guys are uber sensitive as well you know.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm 5'4" and I'd rather be ugly than short.

Unfortunately I'm both.

I'd say 5'8" is the start of "Average"
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm 5'8", anyone over 6 feet is a circus freak.

I did get laid by a girl that was 5'11".
She had legs and knew how to use them!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
5'8" is optimal
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm 5'8", anyone over 6 feet is a circus freak.

I did get laid by a girl that was 5'11".
She had legs and knew how to use them!

You’ll never hear me complain about Frau Quib being taller than I am!

But I’m also glad my son takes after his mother as far as height goes. But I think Frauline Quib is going to be a shrimp like her dad.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top