Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You guys are forgetting the #1 question of all merchant deck officers.

Have you seen the green flash?

I'm an engineer.  I'm lucky if I ever see daylight.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
How far south do you have to sail before you can see the Southern Cross?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you a shellback or a slimy wog?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what is the strangest thing you have ever encountered/seen out there?

Mermaids. They exist. I seen 'em.

After a couple of sleepless  days, things like that appear.

While rested and sane, I'd say the whale that dove behind us and surfaced dead ahead. Pretty neat, and intimidating as hell at the same time.

When I was in a southern backwash several years ago, a cottonmouth sunning himself on deck. I almost stepped on him. I put him over the side with a LONG boat hook.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You guys are forgetting the #1 question of all merchant deck officers.

Have you seen the green flash?

I'm an engineer.  I'm lucky if I ever see daylight.  

No. I hope I don't, either.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the green flash?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever seen a UFO?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you a shellback or a slimy wog?

I am a shellback, became one while on a sailboat.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the green flash?

It's a weather thing. On a beautiful day, generally about sunset, there is a green flash in the sky. If you see it, batten down the hatches no matter how sunny and clear it is because the shit is going to hit the fan, and damned hard!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
How can a guy join the merchant marine force recon?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Is Brandy really a fine girl?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you ever been to Kens gun shop?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
How many Knots can you tie without looking them up ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, what a fine wife she would be.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you ever, late at night, sneak down to the product tanks and siphon some off for your Miata?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
What does your job pay?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]
How Timely this thread is,

I just recently lost my job and am considering the merchant marine but don't know how to start. I am looking at the mechanical arena, either engines or electrics, and maybe to move out of the engineering spaces a little later.

I am 42 yo, no drugs, no drinking to excess, clean record (with extensive checks). I live in Az. Where/How do I start? Is the union the way to go? what about Schooling/costs and school locations?

Any information would be helpful. Not looking to get rich but have an income stream that will allow a little more than existing

Thanks in advance

Fc2
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There have been a number of things I have seen in the skies that I could not identify.

However, I have never had a close encounter of the third kind.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been a number of things I have seen in the skies that I could not identify.

However, I have never had a close encounter of the third kind.

Anything that left you feeling like you saw something extraterrestrial?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How can a guy join the merchant marine force recon?

By getting a degree and an office job. Force Recon is the group that reconnoiters the marketplace finding us jobs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, and a fine drink, too!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you ever been to Kens gun shop?

no.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How many Knots can you tie without looking them up ?

A whole ringtailed passel of 'em.

n fact, I am sometimes referred to as the 'go-to guy' for many of the marlinespike seamanship things that come up. I'm pretty good with stuff like that.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you ever, late at night, sneak down to the product tanks and siphon some off for your Miata?

No. That's what my paycheck is for.

That's a 'go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200' offense.

It ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What does your job pay?

I will not discuss my personal finances over the web.

However, I will say that I am working on my second million, having given up on my first some time ago.

To give you some idea, the pay scales vary broadly depending on, but not limited to the size of the company, Union or not, geography, and a myraid of other factors.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Rank, in order of best to worst, ports for prostitution.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How Timely this thread is,

I just recently lost my job and am considering the merchant marine but don't know how to start. I am looking at the mechanical arena, either engines or electrics, and maybe to move out of the engineering spaces a little later.

I am 42 yo, no drugs, no drinking to excess, clean record (with extensive checks). I live in Az. Where/How do I start? Is the union the way to go? what about Schooling/costs and school locations?

Any information would be helpful. Not looking to get rich but have an income stream that will allow a little more than existing

Thanks in advance

Fc2

I made a several page post on this a few years back TxLewis MAY or may not have it. Ask him.

If not, and make a note of this, IM or email me after the 18th. I do not have this here, it's at home somewhere. I'll try dig it out.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rank, in order of best to worst, ports for prostitution.

I would not have a clue.

I'm just so damned good-looking that when I walk into someplace ashore, the women SWOON, and when they come to, they throw themselves at my feet.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does your job pay?

However, I will say that I am working on my second million, having given up on my first some time ago.

To give you some idea, the pay scales vary broadly depending on, but not limited to the size of the company, Union or not, geography, and a myraid of other factors.

I was more interested in the general, than your particular situation.  What does a barge AB pull down in a year?  Or a Mate?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you respond to people on shore trying to get your attention?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does your job pay?

I was more interested in the general, than your particular situation.  What does a barge AB pull down in a year?  Or a Mate?

I've seen a Barge guy like myself run between 125 and 475/ day, depending on about a jillion variables.

Work skeds are variable, too. I only work equal time.

some guys work 20+10. I fgure I'll sell half my life, but not 2/3s of it.

Then again, there are a handful of assholes out here that work, say 330 days/year. They have no life whatsoever and tend to make lousy shipmates.

Beware! These are NOT-say again-NOT entry level wages.

As a general rule, Inland waters and Western Rivers do not pay as well as coastal and deep sea. They work a LOT harder for it, too.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you respond to people on shore trying to get your attention?

Yes. The one's with the biggest tits get the most attention
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do you get wet while driving your Miata?

No. I never leave the garage if it's raining, and if I get caught by a squall, I put up the top.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had my MMD with OS, Wiper, SD(FH), Tank-PIC (Barge-DL) since 1997.............you need any help??
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've had my MMD with OS, Wiper, SD(FH), Tank-PIC (Barge-DL) since 1997.............you need any help??

email me after the 18th.

Your PIC_DL might just get you somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Ever take a dump over the side?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

email me after the 18th.

OK.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

email me after the 18th.

OK.

What's a PIC_DL?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the green flash?

It's a weather thing. On a beautiful day, generally about sunset, there is a green flash in the sky. If you see it, batten down the hatches no matter how sunny and clear it is because the shit is going to hit the fan, and damned hard!

A green flash happens at the second the sun just goes over the horizon and you will see a brief flash of green. You have to have clear skies at the horizon to see it. It is best seen through binoculars. A green flash has nothing to do with bad weather coming.

Green Flash
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ever take a dump over the side?

On a small boat, yes.

Believe it or not, we have running water and most of the crew owns shoes.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

email me after the 18th.

OK.

What's a PIC_DL?

Person In Charge-Dangerous Liquids.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I like my Seamen salty just like the ocean...

how do you like yours?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Hmm, interesting. What color(s) tugboats push you around?

Curious because I drive (mate) a white, black and a little bit of orange tugboat/oil transportation company.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Curious because I drive (mate) a white, black and a little bit of orange tugboat/oil transportation company.

im me.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does your job pay?

HOW are you paid ?? Hour, salary, trip.......... ?? Are you union.......officer or deck hand or_________??
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What does your job pay?

HOW are you paid ?? Hour, salary, trip.......... ?? Are you union.......officer or deck hand or_________??

Paid by the day. You can make a day's pay in one minute, or the full 24 hrs.  

I am nonunion. I am treated BETTER than most union guys.

I am a licensed officer working in a position that requires s document. This would be like, say, a Navy guy with an unactivated reserve commission on active duty as a Chief Petty officer. (figure that one out)

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im me.

Inbound.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#50]
What outfits have you worked with? I've got some family / personal experience with Crowley.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top