User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought DHS has no credible manpower of its own outside of Local/State LE and Coast Guard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All part of the plan....meanwhile dhs is gearing up and reaching full oppression status

I thought DHS has no credible manpower of its own outside of Local/State LE and Coast Guard?

They have RustedAce.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Add the USMC and SOCOM and you likely double or triple that number.  I'd be more worried if our air power was in trouble.

Doesn't SOCOM get sent in first followed by the Marines more or less before the Army ever leaves CONUS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like someone needs to be fucking fired.

^ this

8,000 - 10,000 troops standing between us and attack... Heads should roll

Add the USMC and SOCOM and you likely double or triple that number.  I'd be more worried if our air power was in trouble.

Doesn't SOCOM get sent in first followed by the Marines more or less before the Army ever leaves CONUS?

No.

We have an Airborne division for a reason.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We are paying the piper now for what was done from 2002-to present in how we treated people

the people we took in to fill the gaps (that we should not have)

the people we did not get rid of (that we should have)

the people who we DID get rid of/didn't retain that we should have kept

the people promoted who shouldn't have been (either unready or unfit) etc etc etc.
View Quote

Nailed it!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

Oh FFS.
Another victim of the PR branche's lava monster sword duels...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^ this

You have been on this site for awhile. You should know that is bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh FFS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

Oh FFS.

Feel free to share???  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://blog.oceanconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/capitol-building1.jpg

They needed to be fired well before this particular set of circumstances popped.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Smells like the 70's all over again.  

I did 9 years (part time mil) and got out with the BS then.  I couldn't fathom the modern military now.  (I get my dose of mandatory online and in person political training with sexual harassment, work place harassment and discrimination, computer security.....blah blah blah,   some bastard is wasting my work day so some lawyers can say they lawsuit proofed the agency and I'm sure someone who's a friend of someone has the contract to devise and implement the training.)

The current stuff I hear just boils my blood. (I live right outside a major army base)  

Oh, and to the guy who said he isn't all that worried as long as our airpower is up and flying.    um, plenty of parts shortages going around the air force from what I've read.  But hey that's ok, Congressmen so and so won't let the pentagon drop XYZ project that his buddy back home has major contracts on.  You will buy XYZ weapons system even if you have no use for it.   People should be shot for that waste and corruption.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Feel free to share???  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^ this

Oh FFS.

Feel free to share???  

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Obviously being a Marine is like a combination of Thunderdome and Lord of the Rings.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How big is a brigade?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/22/army-chief-just-2-brigades-combat-ready/?intcmp=HPBucket

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno revealed this week that just two Army brigades are combat-ready, with budget cuts hampering the military's ability to train its own troops.

The startling comments were made Monday at the Association of the U.S. Army conference. Odierno and Army Secretary John McHugh both addressed the fallout from the budget cuts, as well as the recent partial government shutdown, and appealed to lawmakers to restore some stability to military funding.

View Quote

Id love to know which two.  If they say its mine (we just finished a huge training cycle) I would laugh my ass off.  The state that the US Army is in right now is bad.  Really bad.  The company levels typically have been able to transition back to the force on force fight but the higher level systems are a mess.  We got a "go" in order to deploy (not Afghanistan), but we are so far away from being combat ready its not funny.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
In recent years it seems the Army as a whole has decided that any leadership problem or "perception" (i.e. assumption) of one can be removed via a increased level of bueaucracy and micromanagement.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to mention the vast majority of Soldiers who have deployed never actually saw combat, they spent their time drinking green beans coffee on the FOB. We really don't have that many true "combat" vets.

A good way to measure how combat ready a BDE is would be to check their motorpools. How many prime movers are deadlined? How long are they waiting for parts? The logistics chain in a Unit is the true measure of it's deployability. And judging by what I see in motorpools every day...........we are a soup sandwich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we sure this really isn't just a fund raiser?  I mean at the very minimum, we have the most blooded troops on the planet, and that has to count
for something if we have to do some killing.

A shitload of them aren't in the military anymore.   The SMA made it clear earlier this year when he started talked about kicking out anyone with tattoos, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of bullshit people in the military have to put up with now.

Not to mention the vast majority of Soldiers who have deployed never actually saw combat, they spent their time drinking green beans coffee on the FOB. We really don't have that many true "combat" vets.

A good way to measure how combat ready a BDE is would be to check their motorpools. How many prime movers are deadlined? How long are they waiting for parts? The logistics chain in a Unit is the true measure of it's deployability. And judging by what I see in motorpools every day...........we are a soup sandwich.

We aren't shipping out much in the way of new parts. "Crisis is over, everybody back to work!"
Yeah except units either don't have funds yet or are afraid to spend what they do have.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funds have been turned off for a while now...

Even in Kuwait I needed BDE S4 permission to order a single part.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought this has been a big problem for awhile? Word around the camp fire in the early and mid 2000s was, my unit, was never technically "combat ready". Despite constantly rotating units in and out of Afghanistan and Iraq.
View Quote

My question is what is their definition of "Combat Ready"? As said above If needed I'm sure a lot of units could be deployed as is. I'm sure most of the General's statement is to justify his call for more spending. No doubt they have deficiencies that need to be addressed. My guess is he is painting a very bad picture knowing that the worse he portrays it the more he can get, realizing he's only going to get less than what he asks for.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe they should shift their money away from too many officers, weapons programs, and wasteful procurement policies.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe they should shift their money away from too many officers, weapons programs, and wasteful procurement policies.

Just saying.
View Quote

But, but, how are people going to see stars without managing another multi-million dollar uniform project?

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

...Wha...?... No..
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

...Wha...?... No..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

...Wha...?... No..

The Airborne has always been that thing on the wall that says "break in case of emergency." Only whenever there is one, the brass looks at it and says, "it's not really THAT bad, let's save that in case there's an emergency during our emergency." So they never did their DRB mission when that was their primary reason for existance.

Case in point: 9/11.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ this

No.

This....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Obviously being a Marine is like a combination of Thunderdome and Lord of the Rings.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But with tons of dick jokes
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My question is what is their definition of "Combat Ready"? As said above If needed I'm sure a lot of units could be deployed as is. I'm sure most of the General's statement is to justify his call for more spending. No doubt they have deficiencies that need to be addressed. My guess is he is painting a very bad picture knowing that the worse he portrays it the more he can get, realizing he's only going to get less than what he asks for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this has been a big problem for awhile? Word around the camp fire in the early and mid 2000s was, my unit, was never technically "combat ready". Despite constantly rotating units in and out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'd bet they are using certification at a CRC as part of their "combat ready" definition.  I recall reading an article a few weeks ago which said that most of the funding for CRC rotations is currently in limbo.  However, I will echo what somebody else said about the state of the motorpools.  If the parts to fix the trucks aren't moving, and the "pacing" items are deadlined than the unit really wouldn't be "combat ready".  Couple that with Odenero's statement that a "historically high" 12% of the active force is unavailable (medical, schools, transition leave etc) and plans to separate 1/3rd of captains from year groups 2006, 2007, 2008 and you can start to see trouble on the horizon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we sure this really isn't just a fund raiser?  I mean at the very minimum, we have the most blooded troops on the planet, and that has to count
for something if we have to do some killing.

A shitload of them aren't in the military anymore.   The SMA made it clear earlier this year when he started talked about kicking out anyone with tattoos, and that's just the tip of the iceberg of bullshit people in the military have to put up with now.

That's one key component.  Unit readiness is measured across 4 dimensions.

Maintenance - how much of the assigned equipment is mission capable?
Supply - how much of the required equipment is on hand (this can be really a source of crazy misinformation, if the MTOEs don't reflect reality).
Personnel - how many of the auhtorized personnel billets are filled?
Training - how capable is the unit of performing its essential tasks (probably ione of the most politically distorted numbers out there, and best glossed over)
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But, but, how are people going to see stars without managing another multi-million dollar uniform project?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying.

Seriously.  We spend almost $700 billion on defense and we can't afford train our troops?  Sounds like priorities are as big a problem as budget cuts...
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Seriously.  We spend almost $700 billion on defense and we can't afford train our troops?  Sounds like priorities are as big a problem as budget cuts...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saying.

Look how much money we've wasted trying to develop and stock environmentally safe ammo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
They are probably the only ones that filled out their PDHA on time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I laughed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I laughed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I laughed.

Shit..AKO med readiness is red again..I am going to get counseled......
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not really. This is budget issues plain and simple. The Army has to fund the war in Afghanistan with increasingly small amounts of OCO money. Meanwhile, they have to bring down their force structure, while not being able to draw down fast enough to match their new budget.

The Army, of course, can't offset those costs by cutting a lot of acquisition programs for two reasons. They don't have a lot of money in that pot, and they lack the reprogramming authority.

I guess maybe you're right. Congress should be fired. They're the ones putting the Army in this fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. This is budget issues plain and simple. The Army has to fund the war in Afghanistan with increasingly small amounts of OCO money. Meanwhile, they have to bring down their force structure, while not being able to draw down fast enough to match their new budget.

The Army, of course, can't offset those costs by cutting a lot of acquisition programs for two reasons. They don't have a lot of money in that pot, and they lack the reprogramming authority.

I guess maybe you're right. Congress should be fired. They're the ones putting the Army in this fix.

Yes.  This.  Very much THIS.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well sadly, nobody is beating down Congressman or Senator's doors to get the sequester fixed. So it's going to remain a problem.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top