User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These clamp on no modification needed scopes for the k31, how good are they. 

do they hold zero?

do they damage the weapon?

as for the -03a3, I know they were the "sniper" variant. How accessible is the optics mount department for it?

i want to put an optic on whatever I grab; but I don't want to do anything to the origionality of the gun. 
View Quote
Sniper version is the 03-A4. A real one is huge money. A fake one is big money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sniper version is the 03-A4. A real one is huge money. A fake one is big money.
View Quote
Oh right... ooops

so any scope mount options for a non a4 that aren't bubbatastic?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
K31. There are gun experts that say, if you tried to build a replica K31 today. It would cost over 3,000 dollars.

They were expertly crafted.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid all of $85 for my K31 when they first came out, got it at Big 5 Sports.  I got a St. Maries scope mount on sale, put a cheap Bushnell scope on the gun.  I once managed a 0.43" group of five at 100 yds or so.  I have a good bit of the GP11 ammo for the gun, but I've found that the Prvi 7.5x55 shoots pretty well in it too.  Most bang for the buck of any gun I own.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh right... ooops

so any scope mount options for a non a4 that aren't bubbatastic?
View Quote
There were a couple of options (S&K Instamount, a B-Square mount) but I don't know how available they are.

In any case, getting a scope on an 03 is much harder than getting one on a K31.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
talk to me about price range for both. I am seeing a HUGE variation for both guns. i have no idea what im looking at.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both.  I like both.

Get both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good condition K31 - Are pulling $500 pretty regularly on Gunbroker these days for nice ones. Gone are the $325 from AIM days.

Good condition 03-A3 - Start at $600 (More likely $700+)
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both as well. The 03A3 is nice but my favorite of the two is the K31.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good condition K31 - Are pulling $500 pretty regularly on Gunbroker these days for nice ones. Gone are the $325 from AIM days.

Good condition 03-A3 - Start at $600 (More likely $700+)
View Quote
ive seen a couple k11 and a case of ammo on gunbroker for 750 (buy it now). so thats not a terrible price. hmmm
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

You need a k31 just for one of these
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd put the Argie '91 there too. Same sight issue, but the '91s are works of art.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An Argentine 1909 would debate the quality issue, but the sights are not as usable as Swiss sights.
I'd put the Argie '91 there too. Same sight issue, but the '91s are works of art.
We expect these rifles to be made to high standards.

The one that IMO exceeds expectations is the Yugo M59.  By no means is it in the same league as the K31, but it's surprising good, much better than the 59/66 conversions. The difficulty with the M59 is not only finding one that escaped conversion, but finding one that wasn't beaten. I must have looked over 25 before I selected mine. Dark Sun had a good stash for a few months. They evaporated as quickly as they showed up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh you bastard

those dam Swiss rifles are beautiful 
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
new questions, what do i look for in an gunbroker/armslist listing. i have never made a purchase from either site.

any other places that i should look?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I paid all of $85 for my K31 when they first came out, got it at Big 5 Sports.  I got a St. Maries scope mount on sale, put a cheap Bushnell scope on the gun.  I once managed a 0.43" group of five at 100 yds or so.  I have a good bit of the GP11 ammo for the gun, but I've found that the Prvi 7.5x55 shoots pretty well in it too.  Most bang for the buck of any gun I own.
View Quote
You too, huh?   Clerk even let me pick thru the pile to mate the best sling with the best rifle.   Beautiful gun!

And then I sold it.   Had the dies & everything; it all went.  Great rifle, but then I have many great rifles.  Was looking to cut down on clutter around the ranch, and I simply could not justify having this one rifle that took this one oddball caliber of ammo, that did not go into anything else I owned.   Curse the Swiss for not going NATO with everyone else; the fucking round is so close to 7.62 NATO as to not even matter, yet they are not interchangeable.

I kinda regret selling it, but not horribly.  If you're not willing to adopt a cross-eyed stray that takes oddball ammo, stay far away from the K31.  You can find thutty-aught-six admonition at The Mart Of Wal in every state; you will NEVER find 7.5 Swiss down there.  Like, ever.   Just my $.02, YMMV, the works.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You too, huh?   Clerk even let me pick thru the pile to mate the best sling with the best rifle.   Beautiful gun!

And then I sold it.   Had the dies & everything; it all went.  Great rifle, but then I have many great rifles.  Was looking to cut down on clutter around the ranch, and I simply could not justify having this one rifle that took this one oddball caliber of ammo, that did not go into anything else I owned.   Curse the Swiss for not going NATO with everyone else; the fucking round is so close to 7.62 NATO as to not even matter, yet they are not interchangeable.

I kinda regret selling it, but not horribly.  If you're not willing to adopt a cross-eyed stray that takes oddball ammo, stay far away from the K31.  You can find thutty-aught-six admonition at The Mart Of Wal in every state; you will NEVER find 7.5 Swiss down there.  Like, ever.   Just my $.02, YMMV, the works.
View Quote
i am not terribly worried about the ammunition. i want to get into reloading eventually anyway. 

where is the most reputable places to get a k31?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ive seen a couple k11 and a case of ammo on gunbroker for 750 (buy it now). so thats not a terrible price. hmmm
View Quote
You can't put the St. Marie clamp on mount on the K11, 1911, or 96-11's. Only the K31's

There are clamp on Diopter Sights available as well.

The Buergin Device (left hand mod) is slicker than snot. Pricey but awesome

On one of my walnuts with a St. Marie Graphic mount

Some of mine

One of my best shooters is a 96-11 (don't have pics of that or a few other additions)

EDIT: Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
The K31 will continues to rise in value.  First one I bought was at a Big 5 store ~120.  Manager let me  pick through several.  They had a "broken one"  someone had disassembled the bolt and could not reassemble it.  Like a nice guy I put it back together, should have made an offer for the "broke one"  and then one day they were no more.

The workmanship could not be economically duplicated today. No machining marks.  Reloading is relatively simple as it uses .30 caliber bullets,
virgin brass is available from Grafs, uses large primers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Guess which one I like!

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked the 03A3 because I already have a K31. Ammo is back in stock at a couple places. I have 2 cases stockpiled but reload for it. The first time I shot a K31 I was bit bad by the bug and got a decent deal on mine. $325 and got 3 boxes of PPU with it. I love my K31, Mojo sights makes it really shine. The O3A3 sights make it easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can't put the St. Marie clamp on mount on the K11, 1911, or 96-11's. Only the K31's

There are clamp on Diopter Sights available as well.

The Buergin Device (left hand mod) is slicker than snot. Pricey but awesome

http://newphillysports.com/milsurp/B1.jpg

On one of my walnuts with a St. Marie Graphic mount

http://newphillysports.com/milsurp/0~bucket/Swiss/LH1.jpg

Some of mine

http://newphillysports.com/milsurp/0~bucket/Swiss/Swiss_Family_2.jpg

One of my best shooters is a 96-11 (don't have pics of that or a few other additions)

EDIT: Sent you a PM
View Quote
BEAUTIFUL RIFLES!!! 

god dammit... now i have the bug....
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
What you guys know about Cogunsales.com?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Is the going price right now 700-800? 

Just got off the phone with Cogunsales, and that's what they are asking... auctions don't seem to be that far off either...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
03A3.

Made in the US, carried by US Army and Marines.

I can buy ammo for it at any store that sells ammo.

Then I can reload the brass with standard components that are also easy to come by.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is the going price right now 700-800? 

Just got off the phone with Cogunsales, and that's what they are asking... auctions don't seem to be that far off either...
View Quote
For a K31? That seems a bit high to me.

However, these are pretty much all secondary market any more (there are no large stocks left in Switzerland), so they're pretty much worth whatever the market will bear.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, sticker shock subsiding. Looks like armslist listings are not nearly so bad. 

As best eat as I can tell, current market is somewhere between 400-800 depending on "grade" 800 being a "you better be museum quality" condition. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have both you need to get both
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same here
View Quote
You have no idea how much I want both.. only enough money for one
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Notice how the K31 has neutral balance, right in front of the magazine where the grip cutout is in the stock
View Quote
 those yours?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I own both. The K31 comes out way more often. K31 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
These clamp on no modification needed scopes for the k31, how good are they. 

do they hold zero?

do they damage the weapon?

as for the -03a3, I know they were the "sniper" variant. How accessible is the optics mount department for it?

i want to put an optic on whatever I grab; but I don't want to do anything to the origionality of the gun. 
View Quote
Put the clamp on aluminum on my K31. Right now I would say the issue is that the scope kinda sucks and that a righty trying to shoot a left offset scope is not a benefit. They do not damage the weapon although you do need to have the rings away from the ejection port so you don't jam every time you try to eject the empty.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
At one time, yes. I used to live 20 minutes from AIM and they were $60 each
most are gone now 
View Quote
god i wish i was 20 years older... ill be 30 next year... and wishing i had gotten into guns and on here earlier.... how many did you keep
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
god i wish i was 20 years older... ill be 30 next year... and wishing i had gotten into guns and on here earlier.... how many did you keep
View Quote
Trade you 20 years for the lot of my milsurps, and I have some good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Trade you 20 years for the lot of my milsurps, and I have some good stuff!
View Quote
i get it, but you guys talk about the days of the sub 100 dollar swiss masterpiece rifle, and 20cpr 556 ammunition and i feel excited if i can get 3cpr and ill be ECSTATIC if i can find a k31 that doesn't look like shit for less than 500... i wish i had gotten into mil surps when i was 18. i could have learned and shot so much.. most of my youth was spent plinking with air guns and the occasional pistol shooting when my parents had the time. did not get serious into firearms until i joined here. i feel like i'm playing catch up sometimes. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#39]
i fent....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i fent....
View Quote
  All those in favor of giving a timeout to members that say this and then don't post pix say "Aye!".
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Go with the K31. Very accurate rifles with great triggers. Personally, I find the 1903 distinctly unpleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]
An 03A3 with a C stock is the better match rifle. I say this having shot both in competition. In regards to mechanical accuracy, an 03A3 with a quality barrel is about equal IMO. K31 is a cooler rifle (obviously IMO).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All those in favor of giving a timeout to members that say this and then don't post pix say "Aye!".
View Quote
when she is in my hands, you will get pictures
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top