Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down here in Texas it's quite commonplace.  I'll return the greeting in kind.

The sort of attitude you're referencing is one of the reasons I was so eager to get to Texas in the first place.

No offense to the nice Texans out there, but the ones I met reminded me a bit of New Yorkers. Superior and unfriendly. I lived in Austin and I wasn't too surprised that Austinites were worthless, but even the big dudes in cowboy hats and belt buckles bigger than my head were really aloof and gave me the impression that when the SHTF, I'm just going to be another source of protein.

i think it just proves the point that the majority of country people are courteous and the majority of city dwellers are idiots

ETA:  and the majority of what political identity live in cities?  liberals

The cowboy looking dudes are what surprised me, not the regular austinites. Some weren't from Austin either.  Now I watch out for cranky guys in big hats. If they turn out to be nice, they usually turn out to be from some other state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will die of a heart attack when a senior citizen actually says "Thank you" when a  door is held open for them.

Most rude, inconsiderate, obnoxious demographic out there.

To answer the OP's question, I do acknowledge people whom are friendly. It's the polite thing to do. Teach my kids that as well.

Not here.  When you do something for a senior in this neck of the woods you can expect them to offer money, get a heartfelt "thank you", most of the older ladies just want to feed you, the men will give you a "back in the ole days" story or even try to set you up with someone.  We do have the occasional grouch but they're rare.

I can't imagine what I'd do if I lived in a place where common courtesy is looked on as weird or even insulting.  Guess I'd turn into a miserable old cuss myself.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Up North our time goes by faster or something, nobody has time to be friendly to each other...

Then again I'd rather have real northern friendliness than fake southern friendliness.

Southren freindliness is only fake to Yankees

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well one thing needs to be said - are we talking about talking to complete strangers or people you already know?  With strangers, not everyone can be bouncy betty in the morning....so why not just nod -  or mouthe "morning" without the full decibal"Good Morning!" which from a sweaty fat guy screams "giving kids candy out of your van."  People I know always get a good morning, smile, handshake, or wet kiss.  (kids and wife that is...)haha.

If your appearance indicates you normally aren't the running type........why engage strangers socially?  What do you expect them to do?  The look on my face normally wards off strangers.  (not intentional ) Here'/s my advice, If you are trying to lose weight focus on your running and less on the social aspect of things.  By your avatar are you in law enforcement?  IF so you should know people are just less trusting nowadays, and justifiably so.  Am I wrong for being respectful but also having a plan to kill everyone I meet, if need be?  

Yup, complete strangers.

I've been jogging for years.

It surprises me that they became angry (I think, because of the looks on their faces) when all I did was say good morning.  The look on their face was like I had just kicked their dog.

Of course, I'm a fat guy.  I post in GD.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only problem I have ever had was when I held the door open for a lady, and she looked at me and said 'what, you don't think I could get that myself?"

I was so taken aback, I couldn't think of anything to say. It occurred to me later that it must suck to go through life like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

(Me) Open door for a woman.
(Her with WTF look on her face) "You didn't have to open the door for me I can do it myself."
(Me) " I didn't open the door for you because you're a woman...... I opened it because I'm a gentleman."
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
The neatest thing that ever happened was when I held a door for the person behind me and she turned out to be a feminazi.

The sweet little old lady whacked the twit with her cane and proceeded to berate her for poor manners.

Halarity ensued
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live out in the sticks.  People here will stop their cars in the road to talk to each other.  I think it's charming.

Jane

Walkers / Joggers around here can't get much of a workout due to all the people stopping to ask if they have had car trouble.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Politeness and courtesy are normal here in New Hampshire.

Heck, I thought that was because everybody in Vermont and New Hampshire are ungodly wealthy or gay or both!

Just don't go too far south.  They don't call them Mass-holes for nothing.

This. I live in southern NH and most days it seems like 75% of folks need an attitude adjustment
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
People here are normally friendly and courteous for the most part.  If I'm driving to work or town and someone does something discourteous, I can usually tell it's going to be one of those days.

A few years ago, I did have a guy on a bike try to knock out my passenger window in my truck where my daughter was sitting with his helmet when I tried to let him out of his parking space in front of me.  We sat waiting for him to pull out, and he finally put it on the kick stand and took off his helmet.  So, I went ahead talking to my daughter as we passed him I saw him running up the passenger side of the truck winding up with the helmet.   I quickly goosed it to keep him from bashing in her window and he instead put a nice sized helmet dent in the side of the bed.  That's the first and only time I ever had to call the cops on someone because I tried to be polite  I guess he was having a bad day...lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Up North our time goes by faster or something, nobody has time to be friendly to each other...

Then again I'd rather have real northern friendliness than fake southern friendliness.

You post seems to contradict itself........

Time up here is a commodity, when we use our time to be nice to you its usually because we mean it.

Southerners seem to have all the time in the world so faking being nice isn't such a big deal.

Thats just the way it seems to me anyways.

It's just that in the South folks have a real good bead on things and are not so self-asorbed as their Yankee counterparts. Must be doing someting right as most of the new manufacturing jobs have moved to the South. It could be that Southerners find it easy to be friendly knowing we got the last laugh on the Yankees.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time up here is a commodity, when we use our time to be nice to you its usually because we mean it.

Southerners seem to have all the time in the world so faking being nice isn't such a big deal.

It's just that in the South folks have a real good bead on things and are not so self-asorbed as their Yankee counterparts. Must be doing someting right as most of the new manufacturing jobs have moved to the South. It could be that Southerners find it easy to be friendly knowing we got the last laugh on the Yankees.

People like me (born and raised in the Midwest, last 25 years in the South) must give your poor brain a real workout...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just that in the South folks have a real good bead on things and are not so self-absorbed as their Yankee counterparts. Must be doing something right as most of the new manufacturing jobs have moved to the South. It could be that Southerners find it easy to be friendly knowing we got the last laugh on the Yankees.

People like me (born and raised in the Midwest, last 25 years in the South) must give your poor brain a real workout...  

Nope, you have had time to acclimate.....Hopefully. That said as you live in the Land of Snowbirds (FL) I could be mistaken. Some claim that between FL, AZ, & NV that is where the rude go to die.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Down here in Texas it's quite commonplace.  I'll return the greeting in kind.

This. Sometimes I even initiate it.

I see this elderly gentleman every morning when I go for my walk and we always exchange pleasantries. I hope one of these days I get up early enough on the weekends and see him down at the park. I'd like to sit and talk with him a while. I bet he has some stories to tell.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I generally initiate it

I drive to work every morning at around 6:30

My drive takes me through 1 town and several small communities.

I wave, nod or otherwise acknowledge those I make eye contact with.

I hold the door open for folks when entering establishments that don't have automatic doors.

it is the way I was raised and by and large it is the norm around here.

Sorry if it strikes some of you as "fake"

I also refer to anyone older than me as "Sir" or "Ma'am" (also use those terms for anyone in a position of authority)
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
If you really want to see what's up with the local manners, offer other joggers you pass by a high-five. There's a real difference over even 80 miles. In Richmond - a Southern city for sure - they'll usually follow through. In Fairfax - right next to good ol' DC - they usually leave you hanging and look like "WTF?!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I live in NY.  I've never experienced this whilst home.  

Yeah, you're on the wrong side of the concertina wire.  I hope you have a good bangalore on standby...you won't get here without it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#19]

This is Texas, of course people are courteous.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most Virginians are pretty courteous (those that aren't transplants) so I don't see it as uncommon.

Like my Dad used to say when driving down country roads and we would meet a vehicle, "always wave back 'cause who's driving might be who you are asking permission to hunt on someday". LOL

You're not up in NoVA much, are you? I can't say I blame you though.

I am a "transplant" and yet find a significant percentage of the people here rude and self-centered. Heck, I darn near got myself pepper sprayed when I stopped remembering where I was and offered to help with w broken down car around here.

Even the people born in the area, around (self)-Centreville, have little common courtesy, and no table manners. There are fewer transplants here than you think, but probably enough.

This also contributes to the traffic in the area - self-centred people careening through traffic while chatting on cell phones do not merge well. Add the driving styles local to where the transplants come from, some people from DC and MD into the mix, and it pretty much explains why even adding an additional lane causes a traffic jam around here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most Virginians are pretty courteous (those that aren't transplants) so I don't see it as uncommon.

Like my Dad used to say when driving down country roads and we would meet a vehicle, "always wave back 'cause who's driving might be who you are asking permission to hunt on someday". LOL

You're not up in NoVA much, are you? I can't say I blame you though.

I am a "transplant" and yet find a significant percentage of the people here rude and self-centered. Heck, I darn near got myself pepper sprayed when I stopped remembering where I was and offered to help with w broken down car around here.

Even the people born in the area, around (self)-Centreville, have little common courtesy, and no table manners. There are fewer transplants here than you think, but probably enough.

This also contributes to the traffic in the area - self-centred people careening through traffic while chatting on cell phones do not merge well. Add the driving styles local to where the transplants come from, some people from DC and MD into the mix, and it pretty much explains why even adding an additional lane causes a traffic jam around here.

I'm 60 miles west of there and in my Saturday yard sale quests to "the city" I get more than my fill of the rude transplant. It seems to me that the Yankee accents and rudeness march hand-in-hand. The irony is not lost upon me that the most polite folks that I encounter in that area are recent Hispanic, Asian, & Indian immigrants. If it was not for the tax income to the state coffers from NVA (and the Nation's Gun Show) I'd say give it all to MD.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you really want to see what's up with the local manners, offer other joggers you pass by a high-five. There's a real difference over even 80 miles. In Richmond - a Southern city for sure - they'll usually follow through. In Fairfax - right next to good ol' DC - they usually leave you hanging and look like "WTF?!"

ROFL

I would probably give a random person a high-five if they threw it up.

I've given the most annoying people them and felt ashamed afterwards.  There is something in me that is unable to leave someone hanging when it comes to those and fist-bumps.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pretty much expected here in those situations.  And we hold doors for people and even say ma'am to older women most of the time.

Yep.  You do see the deterioration of it in younger folks, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, I go jogging every morning at 4AM.  The streets are usually empty and seeing someone else out and about is rare.  Every so often I'll run by someone who is walking or jogging also.  I smile and say good morning and I get a .  This has happened on three different occasions.

I realize I am not the most attractive person and being all sweaty probably doesn't help, either.  

If some stranger says hello, good morning, or waves at you, do you acknowledge it?  Does it shock you?

Every morning. I get the same reaction. Maybe 1 out of every 10 people will acknowledge me. Which is pretty much the ratio of the elderly to the young on my treck.
Women get a pass. I'm sure some are concerned w/ their safety on a deserted path w/ a strange man (though if they did make eye contact & show confidence they'd be safer from real criminals).
Summary: Older people have manners. Younger people suck. Tits make everything better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Politeness is a Southern thing and a Rural thing.

The further north you get, or the bigger the city, the bigger the assholeness.

There are exceptions, but that rule is pretty solid.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I am all about common courtesy...

Hell, I enforce it.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top