Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
based on my very rough calculations using an online calculator I should be getting about 750 back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
As most of us here, I will pay taxes..... BUT ... I will have had more withheld than I owe so I will get a (no interest paid) return.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I get nauseated at the very mention of the word.  I am rather ashamed of myself for having to cough up more money for The Crooked Bunch.  17k last year
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
From an online calculator, its looking like I should get about $1000 back
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#5]
+/- $200 based on my calculations, I had to estimate some numbers though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on if an illegal uses my social for a job again.. Hooray for a sudden tax liability due to them reporting income! Ya I'm fighting it but it's a pain in the ass I don't fuckin need.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Refund. I have a very very good accountant.

Your good accountant makes sure you have given a loan to the .gov, and they used your money interest free?    That is some big city thinking.

I make sure I have to pay them a small token amount every year.  I have the willpower to forge my own savings plan and don't need the .gov to do that for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably owe, since I knocked down my withholding. Won't be much (I hope)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your good accountant makes sure you have given a loan to the .gov, and they used your money interest free?    That is some big city thinking.
I make sure I have to pay them a small token amount every year.  I have the willpower to forge my own savings plan and don't need the .gov to do that for me.

Good for you, I have a wife who doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
It's all the same money going round and round.   A 'refund' is just money you didn't get to spend during the year.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was discussing taxes with someone.  She said she and her husband keep their withholding set really high so they get a big refund.  Why?  "Because we'd probably just go waste it if we didn't do it this way."  At least they recognize it...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I make so little, I always get a modest refund. Probably $200-300 combined between State and Federal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Refund, I hope.  If it is like past years we'll get a little bit back.   Only thanks to charitable donations and mortgage interest.  If we did not own a home, and make somewhat significant donations, we would owe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm assuming I'll be recieving what the hood rats have termed "phat bank," since I always get a decent refund, plus we have a son now and an in home business with a lot of start up costs and a new mortgage deduction.

This should help your fed tax liability considerably.  My wife's a non-practicing accountant and works this well.

Save every single receipt, from gas to food.

Yeah, we contacted our CPA before we started and got some good direction. Filed an LLC.

We started a daycare in our finished walk out basement. We download our monthly statements into Quicken and categorize everything. Plus save hardcopy receipts of course.

Plus the deductions for a percentage of our water/gas/trash/electricity/toilet paper/dish tabs/......

I don't want to steal from the government, but I don't wanna pay a dime I don't have to.

Nope, as a small business owner, you shouldn't be abused.  My wife's receipt OCD ensures that she'll take her pound of flesh back from .gov.  

I used to poke fun at her compulsive need to save everything...until I realized the benefit in doing so.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I normally get a few hundred back from the fed and state each.  This is my first year where i bought a house (in june), so from what i hear ill get some interest back too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Should get a refund ~800$ not much but I like getting my money back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#17]
What is the stigma towards owing money to the government?

Granted, no one likes to pay taxes, but I would rather owe a little to the government than have them owe me a bunch of money and have that held up for some reason or get an IOU.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm confident my wife and I underpaid for 2011.

We aren't idiots giving the government interest free loans.

This
I told my accountant he was fired if I ever got a refund
He's pretty sure I meant it
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
just like i have done the past 10 years.......pay up bitch!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm always owing taxes due to capital gains.  Who wants to give the Feds an interest free loan anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell does this have to do with anything? How did you get out of paying SS taxes, because if you didn't you ARE paying into the .gov savings plan, and that has nothing to do with whether you pay, break even, or owe on April 15th.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell does this have to do with anything? How did you get out of paying SS taxes, because if you didn't you ARE paying into the .gov savings plan, and that has nothing to do with whether you pay, break even, or owe on April 15th.

Pretty sure that wildearp meant that he has the financial discipline to put money aside each month rather than overpay on his withholding so the government does the "saving" for him and then gives him the lump sum back each year as a "refund".  I'm doubting the post had anything to do with Social Security at all.

Look at my previous post –– some people who don't have good financial discipline use federal tax withhold as a "savings plan" so they don't spend their money during the year on useless crap.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top