Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It required a Bachelor's Degree, 8 years of experience and training in my field, and plenty of networking  to land my union position.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
here is how i see it.. if they were skilled like plumbers and the like.. < trades >

they could get a job anywhere.. anytime..    more power to em.. congrats.

i envy them...  and i tip my hat to them.

but the majority can not get a job somewhere else making to the same money ,,  

that tells me thier "skills" are lacking.,

that  should sum it up  while not being ugly about it

Unfortunately most skilled trades pay far less to non union workers.   In my trade, at least $10/hour, +benefits.

Doesn't have anything to do with "skills".  I can guarantee you that as I worked non union prior to working for a union shop and have worked on many jobs with a mix of both.

Where I am at anyway.  YMMV.

You're 100% correct.

I can work in SC as a foreman in a non-union company and make $15/hour with no benefits or I can work out of state as a Journeyman, and not as a foreman, and make $35.84/hour with benefits working for a Union company. Union Foremans make a $1 more an hour for every 5 guys under them. To me that's a no brainer. I don't mind being away from home for extended periods.

The UNINFORMED HATERS here want to lump all Unions together and the fact is they are not the same even in the different Trade Unions.

As far as education goes, I'm a High School graduate, an Army Veteran and have completed a 4 year apprenticeship plus way over 100 hours of classes in crane rigging, safety and OSHA certifications.

So wait, you're saying that you have no problem with a union forcing companies to pay 35$/hr for someone to do a job that's worth 15$/hr?

If you can't perform your job on a union construction site to expected performance for that wage, you WILL be run off the job.  If you are eligible to earn that wage though, it requires a minimum of a 4-5 year apprenticeship (depending on the trade) and ungodly amounts of safety training.  In other words, when they pay that wage, they know what kind of quality they are getting and if they feel they aren't worth it, they are gone with no questions asked.

ETA- at least that is how it works around here in Kansas City.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know a single union member who has Masters or Doctorate degree. Does any of you?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I dont know a single union member who has Masters or Doctorate degree. Does any of you?

Yes, I know a shitload of teachers with Masters and many with doctorates as well.

In your face.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe some teachers.....but that's it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know a shitload of teachers with Masters and many with doctorates as well.

In your face.

Looking at signs they hold in Wisconsin, one would come to a conclusion some of those teachers never made to high school.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Troll thread. Out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After all the talk of unions lately, and after watching all of the "Union Thug" videos that everyone has been posting up.....it just seems like the majority of the Pro Union guys you see really don't act, look, or carry themselves like educated people.  The "thugs" all look like burned out bikers and rough guys that only know how to yell, scream, and rough people up......but as soon as anyone tries to have an educated conversation with them, it's obvious that they are idiots.  

Don't get me wrong, I have several friends that are great guys, smart, educated, but just happened to have a job that forces them to be Union.  But I also know tons of union guys that I don't think could carry on an educated conversation if their lives depended on it. They just do what they are told, and trust the Union to tell them what is right and wrong.

I'm just saying that the "majority" of Union members seem to be pretty uneducated people...........am I way out of line for saying that??  

You see what you want to see.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Troll thread. Out.

So any post that may get two very different reactions/opinions is a "troll thread"?  

If you say so......  
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Withen the same occupational field I doubt there is a significant difference in the education of union members versus non-union members.

A Union cop and a non-Union cop are probably going to have simular educations.
A union bus driver and a non-union bus driver are probably going to have simular educations.

The one place it might be different is in skilled trades. Where the union enforces certain continuing education requirements. In those instances the union tradesman is likely to be better educated that the little brown guy from the home depot parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where I work in the MD DC and NOVA area, Trade Union members are better educated than the non-Union Tradesmen. Not only in their skill sets but safety also.

I expected this would be true. The trade unions usually have standards that the "handymen" and illegals don't meet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty of college educated government employees in unions.

Especially the youngsters. I get trainees with masters degrees now. Yet I still find typos and spelling errors in their reports. C'mon, you guys have seem MY spelling

Good thing the station computers have spell check.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Several.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Plenty of college educated government employees in unions.

I am Fed Gov Union: BS College Education
My Wife is State Gov Union: Graduate Education

So, I say poll fail.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need your Masters within a couple of years of becoming a teacher, so thats almost all teachers teaching above the elementary level.

Quoted:
Withen the same occupational field I doubt there is a significant difference in the education of union members versus non-union members.

A Union cop and a non-Union cop are probably going to have simular educations.

Its going to vary. many agencies still require only a HS diploma. many agencies have gone to a minimum of a 2 year degree. Some are requiring a 4 year degree.
To move up the chain you're generally required to have a higher level of education. Same applies in the military anymore, especially as an officer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The thugs you see making a fool of themselves don't represent the entire group.

It's not the majority that you see, you see the minority which happen to be assholes, criminals, and shitheads who go and do these types of things.

The majority are just people who want to go along with life.

So why do the high up Union member stock the rally s with these types of people?  Do they think that makes them look good? Why not educated people that know the issues at hand, and know how to make, prove, and defend their points?

Maybe the educated people know that there really isn't anything productive to do at a rally.  Maybe they understand that they don't need a $3 raise, it would be better to keep their jobs instead of the plant closing.

From the inside I could tell you that the smarter and more skilled people very rarely talk about union dealings at all, it's always the slugs who are bringing up the union shit because they need it to survive.

A whole bunch of the above!

Deres idiots everywhere.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what degree the guy had but I worked with an electrician who was in charge of the data center telecomm. work for Eli Lilly corporate center.  I really don't know why he worked there at all because several years earlier he wrote some sort of software that had something to do with F1 racing.  Some sort of timing shit.  He would routinely fly to races overseas not on his own coin.  

Several UNION members in the office of the company I work for have advanced degrees in electrical engineering.  I am pretty sure that is common.  Just because they work in the office doesn't mean they are not union members.  Hell the owners of my company are union electricians and have business degrees of some sort.

Pretty sure that's common in most trades.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thugs you see making a fool of themselves don't represent the entire group.

It's not the majority that you see, you see the minority which happen to be assholes, criminals, and shitheads who go and do these types of things.

The majority are just people who want to go along with life.

So why do the high up Union member stock the rally s with these types of people?  Do they think that makes them look good? Why not educated people that know the issues at hand, and know how to make, prove, and defend their points?

Maybe the educated people know that there really isn't anything productive to do at a rally.  Maybe they understand that they don't need a $3 raise, it would be better to keep their jobs instead of the plant closing.

From the inside I could tell you that the smarter and more skilled people very rarely talk about union dealings at all, it's always the slugs who are bringing up the union shit because they need it to survive.

A whole bunch of the above!

Deres idiots everywhere.

That's just not true at all!  The smarter union members I know are always bitching about all the political bs their union does and the just wish the slugs would foad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most union members I've known have been borderline retarded.

Of the ones I know, they can only do one job and don't seek higher or other education/trade to do something else.  That is why we have the UAW why bother getting BA/AS or Masters, when you will get promoted or get a big pay raise without it?  do your 20 years and get to retire with full pension often times getting more than made or put in to the pension.

However I can pretty much say that this goes for most of the population which includes non-union as well. I've met some really stupid people-the kind that would put a fork into an electrical socket to fish something out of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top