BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How do you earn a haircut?  

Was told by an recruit at the time that his DI's made everyone get haircuts because they hadn't "earned" their right to have hair because they did not graduate yet.  This was before Christmas leave?  Do they give leave from basic for Christmas?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck are you babbling about.  

QFT.

I was going to write a post, but this is probably what it would have been.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The haircut isn't "earned" it's one of the first things they do to you, they say it's part of removing your identity and making everyone into a cohesive unit.  Plus it's a damn good low maintenance haircut.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
High and tight here! Even got my teenage son sporting it, so I must have done something right. He prefers it that way because it's less maintenance with sports like football. (and he got tired of me and mom telling him to brush his hair before heading to school)

edit: I guess we're sporting more of what you guys call a med-high fade, but it's no different than what I wore in the Marines.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad is a Marine and so is my brother.  I have grown to like the high and tight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL high and tights are the ugliest haircut on the planet.  Why anyone would willingly get one is beyond me.

Im active mil and I wouldnt be caught with a high and tight.  There are better ways to wear your hair short that don't make you look like a clown.  Like shaved.  Or 'buzzed'.  Or just a regular fade.

Thank you,

To the rest, I'm not talking about normal short hair or a fade. I'm talking about having completely shaven sides and only short hair on top.  White walls I think they're called?  Commonly seen on Marines.

That's a high and tight––-common in the Army.  Heck I wore one for about ten years until I realized that a high fade looked much better, and after that realized the medium fade was much more comfortable.  I've been wearing a high fade, medium fade, or just a buzz cut(when the barber isn't around) for the last 8+ years.  I'm still active duty, but could never see myself wearing a high and tight for fun on the outside.  I'm with cody.....there are better ways to wear your hair short than a high and tight.

Even so...if you want to cruise walmart looking like a shoebrush––-rock on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you own an AR-15 and are not in the .mil, you are a poser trying to act like you are in the military.......................................  

Don't have a high and tight...  I have a 1-2 guards longer with 3/4" cut on top

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you friggin serious ? If you are then you are not a douche but lower than douche water.
When i was yunger my hair as long but for more years than i can count i use my own clippers to shave it down.
Get a life if that's all ya have to worry about is some dudes haircut or camo

The English language. Learn it. THEN come back and post.

Go F yourself ya nazi. If iwanted perfect grammar i'd be a fuckin writer.
It's the internet asshole and if i wanted perfect grammar i'd be selling books bitch
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Even so...if you want to cruise walmart looking like a shoebrush––-rock on.

I always thought it looked more like a dead opossum on top of their head

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
High and tights are gayer than aids.  

Everytime I see someone with one, mil or not, I say "Fucking faggot douchebag"
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you friggin serious ? If you are then you are not a douche but lower than douche water.

When i was yunger my hair as long but for more years than i can count i use my own clippers to shave it down.

and away we go?

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a high and tight right now.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Mines short on top as well, but in college people asked me if I was in the Corps (cadets at Texas A&M).

I'm not a poser, it's just a good utilitarian haircut that looks better on me than long hair.  Granted, at the moment my facial hair is as long as the stuff on my head, so nobody will mistake me for .mil
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have the headshape for a high and tight so I go with a fade. But really it's a haircut, you don't earn it, you cut it and wear it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I try to stay away from the high & stupid now that I'm a civilian. However, it keeps calling me back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
When i was in basic they trimmed my hair with a #1 buzz all around my head. It was really short, however it turned my head into Velcro, couldn't put a t-shirt on without my head sticking to the shirt. During my time in the military i went finger length cut on top and #1 on just the sides. I really liked my hair short, made me look good and easy to maintain. So today I'm doing finger length on top, with a little extra on the front to spike up, and a #2 on the sides.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Which is exactly why I could also see LEO wearing this haircut.  There is no logical reason to wear this haircut besides conformity standards or safety.  If people were really worried about easy maint, they would just buzz it all off.

Looks like I picked the wrong civilian, high and tight sporting crowd to ask this question.

You didn't ask the wrong crowd... you asked the wrong question.  It was stupid.

Here's one back to you:  Why do you care how another man wears his hair?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would rather see high and tights than hippy hair.

Usually when I see someone with hippy hair I can infer that they are a stoner.  9 times out of 10 I am right.  I always thought the high and tight was associated with the military crowd so when I see one I think... wonder what service he's in.

sounds like your problem, not theirs...

<==== Sports a high and tight flat top, for the last 25 years...
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks kind of douchey to me, but if your in the .mil, are a LEO, FF, EMT or something similar, your career is a legit excuse and cancels out the doucheness.

If you have one and you aren't any of the above, then it just looks dumb.  I won't think your a poser, I'll just think you look bad.

Also, I lived 2 blocks from a large college campus for several years up until last year.  Never really saw the cut on anyone except for ROTC kids, NG/Reserve members and CJ majors.  So I'm surprised to hear its becoming popular.  Then again, last time I was cool, the faux hawk was still "in"
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I always thought that mil guys had to "earn" their haircut by completing boot camp.  Am I right?  Do you think non mil sporting a high and tight makes them a poser?

Nobody "earns" a haircut.

You pay for it, and you are done. Leave a tip if you like.

I had all sorts of haircuts when I was in the Army, including high and tight, buzz cut, flat top.

Short haircuts may meet or exceed regulations for army personnel, but there is no poser factor for civs. It's just a haircut, not a seal badge.

I mean, if you wear your hair like a hippie, people might think you are in the US Air Force, but it doesn't make you a poser either.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#21]
For the love of God, the things some people get worked up over....

Really?  Now we're going to regulate or 'suggest' who should be allowed to wear their hair a particular way?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I stay away from high and tights in the military. My hair is about an inch and a half long on top and the sides are a #1 low fade.

It's a little ridiculous to say a haircut is poser-ish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#23]
low maintenance
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the internet asshole and if i wanted perfect grammar i'd be selling books bitch

Lighten up Frances.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
My coworkers always make fun of my high and tight haircut, and I'm in the Air Force

I hate the douches who can't keep their hair in regs, though.  

Whatever civilians want to do, thats fine with me.  I know that police departments have hair regs
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
quick drying and low maintenance is easy.
I wish I would just fucking go completely bald already

This.  

I am the only 28 year old guy i know who can't wait to go bald.  Plus I would save cash on haircuts if I was bald.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#27]
This confirms that there is literally nothing in the world that someone on this website won't take issue with. I have to "earn" the right to cut my hair short? Holy shit. I have officially heard it all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This confirms that there is literally nothing in the world that someone on this website won't take issue with. I have to "earn" the right to cut my hair short? Holy shit. I have officially heard it all.

Hey, next thing ya know only guys that were in the military can own an AR or camo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is ridiculous. How else am I supposed to cut my own hair?

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Never
before in my life and nowhere else have I encountered such fucked up
ideas and fears regarding the military and looking like the military,
being poserish etc... as I do here on ar15.com

field jackets

boots

pants

t-shirts

hats

glasses

hair cuts

gloves

mittens

pea coats

None of this shit is poserish to wear.

This concept is fucking crazy to me and I think you live in an alternate reality than the one I live in if you think people who wear this stuff are in any way posers or wannabes.

Get the entire uniform on all at once, you might start looking poserish or costumed.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never before in my life and nowhere else have I encountered such fucked up ideas and fears regarding the military and looking like the military, being poserish etc... as I do here on ar15.com

field jackets
boots
pants
t-shirts
hats
glasses
hair cuts
gloves
mittens
pea coats

None of this shit is poserish to wear.
This concept is fucking crazy to me and I think you live in an alternate reality than the one I live in if you think people who wear this stuff are in any way posers or wannabes.

Get the entire uniform on all at once, you might start looking poserish or costumed.

Shit fits have been pitched over people putting "Semper Fidelis" in their sig line here.  

Some people are just looking for an excuse to get offended.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I "Earned" (How in the blue fuck do you earn a haircut?) mine more than 40 years ago.  I don't wear a high & tight but I still wear my hair short.  As a matter of fact anyone who doesn't like my hair style can FOAD. There's a whole lot of things in this world more important to me than men's hair styles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I think they are gay either way. Dont take offense if your running one. I just hate the look.

Active 11b here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would rather see high and tights than hippy hair.

You can kiss my ass,long hair is awesome!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

convience

spelieng

I rost

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Never liked them personally. I always went with the low fade.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is ridiculous. How else am I supposed to cut my own hair?

No shit.

ETA-  maybe I dont know what a high and tight is....   I just cut my own hair short as fuck.  Is that a high and tight?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I grew up an Army brat so that's the type of haircut I got. I still get it to this day. I figure why mess with perfection.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As long as they are not wearing military uniforms with rank on them, then I have no problem with it.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Legit thread, seems like everyone I see and their mom is sporting a high and tight.  Many of these people I am for certain are not mil or prior mil.  This is around a college campus atmosphere where there are no military bases.  Most of the people are between 18-22.

I always thought that mil guys had to "earn" their haircut by completing boot camp.  Am I right?  Do you think non mil sporting a high and tight makes them a poser?

BTW, I'm not talking about kinda trimmed on the side, I'm talking almost no hair or completely shaved sides with a very short top.  

Never served, but I grew up in a Marine Corps family and it was the only haircut my father would allow me to have. Not quite high and tight now but it feels shaggy if it gets longer than a #2 guard.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Which is exactly why I could also see LEO wearing this haircut.  There is no logical reason to wear this haircut besides conformity standards or safety.  If people were really worried about easy maint, they would just buzz it all off.

Looks like I picked the wrong civilian, high and tight sporting crowd to ask this question.

Yes you did.  I couldn't give two shits about who wears their hair how, but this board is the epicenter of military/leo wannabe poserdom.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I hate when I see civilians walking around with longish hair, posing as soldiers with modified grooming standards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Legit thread, seems like everyone I see and their mom is sporting a high and tight.  Many of these people I am for certain are not mil or prior mil.  This is around a college campus atmosphere where there are no military bases.  Most of the people are between 18-22.

BTW, I'm not talking about kinda trimmed on the side, I'm talking almost no hair or completely shaved sides with a very short top.  

If I saw someone's mom with a high and tight I would call her out as a poser, without a doubt!! Poser bitch!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's normal for people to feel that way if they grew up in a household where as a child they saw a lot of military guys coming and going.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I retired 2 years ago and still wear a high and tight, it's the only style my wife knows how to cut.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Over the years (am 50 now) had long hair, full dress, buzz cut, long hair.
Had a nice flat-top for a few years, was overdue for a trim, so ended up getting a Mohawk, had it for 2 years like it,don't get the bottom cut so got a six inch pony tail, pretty fly for an old guy!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I cannot stand having high maintenance hair, therefore I keep it short.  I voted no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I was wearing my hair high and tight way before the war started.. I do so because it is fast and easy to care for.. I never look for a comb or a brush and when i get out of the shower my hair is done..
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Not only no, but hell no.  

High-n-tights are the best haircut... and far better than everybody being a hair farmer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]
My cut (shave) was to HSLD for a few naval officers, but the jar heads loved it.

Now it gets to damned hot and itchy past a #2 and its shave time.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top