User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any person who lived through the horrors described herein and STILL be able to forgive the Japanese is a far better person than I....

I guess that it is why he said "Strange as it must seem to some of you...."!!!

Absolutely. Believe me, I am in awe of his ability to forgive.

Like I said: better man than I.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My Father fought in the South Pacific from about March, 1942, until the surrender in September, 1945.

He was in New Guinea for most of 1942 and 1943, then was in the Philippines in 1944 and 1945.

He had no love whatsoever for the Japanese due to the barbaric things that he saw had been done in the areas in which the Imperial Japanese Army had operated.

Later, he helped an entire Filipino family who he had befriended in Manilla over to the United States by arranging for the father to work on the ranch on which he was the foreman, just South of Fort Worth, Texas!

I think my father wore more of those Filipino shirts that were so popular back in the 1950s more than any other shirt style around. He clearly identified the Filipino people as folks who could be trusted and respected.

At my father's funeral in 1977, in Shreveport, Louisiana, about 20 members of that family attended.

And the old father of that family, a man I knew simply as 'Uncle Pete', cried almost as loudly as I did!

So, yeah, I have no great love for the Japanese people of that period, at all.

Eric The(AndEvenThoughI'mGerman,IAin'tMuchFondOfGermansOfThatDayEither)Hun

My father was also on New Guinea, and went to Leyte (Phillipines) from there.  In another thread, I have posted pictures of a Japanese Dog Tag and Canteen he sent home.
Was your dad Army? From Leyte my father went on to Okinawa, where he was wounded.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any person who lived through the horrors described herein and STILL be able to forgive the Japanese is a far better person than I....

Don't think you will find many.

A few guys from Pearl have forgiven Navy pilots but I don't think any POWs are terribly fond of the Japanese. I for one will never blame them.

I may think differently, but I will never blame them.

Me neither.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just as an aside, what was the reason for not bombing, say, Tokyo? Was it to preserve a government with which to negotiate, or some other reason?

We did bomb Tokyo. The fire bombing did extensive damage. In fact, IIRC more died in the fire bombing there then from either atomic bomb.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just as an aside, what was the reason for not bombing, say, Tokyo? Was it to preserve a government with which to negotiate, or some other reason?

We did bomb Tokyo. The fire bombing did extensive damage. In fact, IIRC more died in the fire bombing there then from either atomic bomb.

I know. I should have said NUKE Tokyo....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Eric,

My Dad was dismounted from the horse cav in Kansas in '43 and sent to the Pacific.  His records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire.  He died in '70.  Dad never spoke of his experiences in the war.  I never heard him say a bad thing about anyone in his entire life.  However, if one of us had even thought of buying a Jap car, I imagine Dad would have stepped in.

My brother Tom (named after Dad) thinks that every Nazi and every Jap serviceman should have been shot.  My brother hates bullies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top