Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 7:08:05 AM EDT
The GF and I were watching Househunters International yesterday while we were making dinner.

The couple on the show were looking to move from London to Cape Town SA.

My GF and I just looked at each other like... WTF!

Considering the current conditions in South Africa, and the direction the country is likely to go in... we both thought they were nuts.

What say you, Arfcom?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
South Africa is just a future showing of what the US will be in 2 Generations.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Christ that's depressing.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Worse than Detroit.
SA was nice during the pre Mandela regime..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, not for me thanks...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Worse than Detroit.

Nice for white people maybe.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't even travel to Africa if I had the whole of the US military as my bodyguards.  Can't imagine the level of stupid necessary to go their unless you absolutely had to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
If the couple in question were moving from London, England, to South Africa, then they will enjoy a violent crime rate lower in South Africa.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#9]
South Africa would need to be completely depopulated first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a wonderful idea. I wish more young people would take advantage of such opprotunities!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Watch District 9 and play Resident Evil 5 and get back to us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#13]
have some of you presumptuous idiots ever been to Cape Town, it's a beautiful ocean community SW.

It's nice, not as bad as Detroit and I would need an up armored vehicle to drive into the ghetto part of town
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Our Farrier is from SA.  She is doing everything possible to stay here.  I suggested she change her last name to Gonzales.  

She said it is rough over there.  You have to live behind bars, constantly thinking about security.  Crime and corruption everywhere.  Her whole family has left.

My old boss moved there twenty years ago to become a Safari guide.   I hear he has moved back...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
The % of young white male professionals that are leaving the county is staggering.
They won't be able to feed themselves in twenty years - the new Haiti
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If the couple in question were moving from London, England, to South Africa, then they will enjoy a violent crime rate lower in South Africa.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8892/violentcrime.jpg  

That's interesting...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
South Africa is a beautiful country. Unless you're in the cities its fairly safe for the most part.  If you have money its a great place to live in terms of housing,
entertainment and weather. If you're poor, the weather is still pretty
nice. The ANC is doing everything they can to turn it into a shithole though.

I have several friends who are South African, both black and white. They all say the country was better in many ways under apartheid. They ALL say some really nasty things about Nelson Mandela and the ANC. One of my black friends, born and raised in Capetown, can't even talk about what has happened in the country politically since he just gets enraged when he does. All of them say things could go the way of Zimbabwe if something isn't done to put a halt to some of the bullshit the government is pulling. One of them recently made a comparison between Mandela and Obama in a email to me. He said they were both clueless bastards with an agenda.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If I had enough money, living in S.A. would be nice.  It's a beautiful country with lots going for it, and a lot of people there are really nice.

In a piece SA, P.J. O'Rourke said the same thing. He described SA as being just like southern California, but without the liberals.

Still, I don't know if I'd move my family there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I have never been to South Africa. That being said I have worked with South Africans and my good friend is married to a woman from South Africa. All say it is beautiful and  all are trying to get out to a western country (Australian and the UK seem to be popular) permanently. I am not moving to a dangerous country especially where the private ownership of firearms is highly regulated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/03/world/africa/03iht-guns.html

"The law (The Firearm Control Act 60 of 2000 & Regulations), approved in 2000, limits most citizens to one weapon for self-defense and a maximum of four others for other uses, like hunting or skeet shooting.

But getting any gun at all, critics say, is the big task. Guns are to be automatically denied to drug or alcohol abusers, spouse abusers, people inclined to violence or "deviant behavior" and anyone who has been imprisoned for violent or sex-related crimes. The police interview three acquaintances of each applicant before deciding whether he or she is competent to own a gun. Prospective gun owners must pass a firearms course. They also must install a safe or strongbox that meets police standards for gun storage.

More important, an applicant also must prove to the police that he or she needs a gun - a requirement, called "motivation," which gun advocates complain is vague and hard to satisfy."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Uh, no thanks.  At least according to official statistics, the place is safer than it was ten years ago, but the murder rate for the whole country is still 37 per 100,000, which is the same as Baltimore.  So, like, no.  I don't care how beautiful it is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are white, probably a bad idea even if you are rich.....unless maybe you are politically connected.

I went to a residential area in Joburg. Every home has walls and gates and bars on the doors and windows. Every one of them.

Leaving the airport, get stopped for being white.

Driving down the road, guys with machine guns standing in the middle of the road stopping you and hassling you because you are white.

It isn't America and America won't ever be like SA. Getting away from the towns makes a huge difference, but I wouldn't live there. A white person has no guarantee of property rights either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Uh, no thanks.  At least according to official statistics, the place is safer than it was ten years ago, but the murder rate for the whole country is still 37 per 100,000, which is the same as Baltimore.  So, like, no.  I don't care how beautiful it is.

If anyone thinks it is like Baltimore, I should have taken pics of the slums.

I think that would have put it into perspective.

Miles of shacks huts. Homes that wouldn't pass as a pig shelter here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

THIS.  OR, sadly, sooner than two generations.  Have you ever seen some of the animal experiments with rats when population exceeds resources?   Do you think some of our welfare trash are any smarter than the rats or that they will behave any better?   I don't.   Sorry.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#25]

until the government there totally collapses, there is no good reason to move to SA.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I can see the attraction.  Cape Town is a beautiful place, with incredible food and scenery.   I could not live there for a host of political reasons, and the crime can be overwhelming. The government tries hard to present a certain safe and prosperous facade to the rest of the world, but there is some real bottomless pit going on just beneath.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Gun control, it makes you safer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that the whole country is as dangerous as one of America's worst cities, so we can infer that if America's worst cities are ten times deadlier or more than the national average, South Africa's worst cities must be incomprehensibly violent by our standards.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#29]
It's called House Hunters International for a reason.  And no I wouldn't move there.  And yes my wife and I watch every HHI.  I love the tropical ones.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#30]
never got to live in Cape down but i lived in Pretoria and felt and it
was pretty much was European colony, very nice and relative cheap, at the
time and i got learn how to play tennis ,even thought i only lived two months or so over there,one thing you start noticing
alot its the signs "trespasser will be shot once  survivors will be shot again" they got some weird traditions too so dont be surprise ..
crime from the city in this case Johannesburg  often
migrates to nearby towns (we caught some  guys in middle of the night
they were stealing someone car tires lol..) so you always have to be careful especially at night.
i see how some people could move out to South Africa, at the time of my stay the house we rented was from yugoslavian so its not as uncommon as you may think.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuck no
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that the whole country is as dangerous as one of America's worst cities, so we can infer that if America's worst cities are ten times deadlier or more than the national average, South Africa's worst cities must be incomprehensibly violent by our standards.  

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have surfing but our heroin is better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Worse than Detroit.

Actually it was far nicer for even blacks then. They were far less likely to be murdered, raped, robbed, assualted and every other way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd bet crime is grossly under reported in SA.  Curious if a real statistic would even be possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The GF and I were watching Househunters International yesterday while we were making dinner.

Considering the current conditions in South Africa, and the direction the country is likely to go in... we both thought they were nuts.

What say you, Arfcom?

You're going to have to post pics of your gf for us to give you any kind of reasonable answer.
Geez.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd bet crime is grossly under reported in SA.  Curious if a real statistic would even be possible.

im not so sure.  They deal with crimnals over there in extreme measures and fashions.  While South Africa isn't the place it used to be, it is not Zimbabwe or Liberia.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ that's depressing.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#39]
If you think "kill whitey day" is bad here, it's real bad there.
Crime there is very bad (especially if you are white).
No way I'd go. I wouldn't even vacation there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It's called House Hunters International for a reason.  And no I wouldn't move there.  And yes my wife and I watch every HHI.  I love the tropical ones.

My GF and I love the show.

However... I do see a lot of people buying houses in places I would never live.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Detroit.

In terms of crime and unemployement it was better for blacks back then, too.

Many blacks in Zimbabwe have come to realize that they exchanged a competent white ruling class for an incompetent black ruling class. South Africans have done the same thing.

ETA:  Oh, and in before Hawkeye180.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What say you, Arfcom?

I was watching that too.. I was like how fucking crazy are you? The woman was white and the guy was a mix it looked like.. She wont be alive very long thats all I'm going to say..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Might be better in the larger cities, but the white farmers are taking a hit
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#44]
yeah probably not
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worse than Detroit.

The blacks were better off then, too.

Same with Rhodesia. In fact, the Zimbabweans are now wanting the Rhodesian government back...imagine that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Shear numbers don't bare out the total picture. Which group in particular is on the recieveing end of the crime in SA vs UK? Hmmmmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Not moving to South Africa.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#48]

hmm...

gonna have to do more research

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd love to go!

Some great sailing down there. If I ever plan on rounding the cape I'll definitely stay for a while.

Great beaches, lovely women and nice people for the most part.

Seeesh, the beaches are even divided into "Family friendly" parts. I'd post pics of them, but every one I find breaks CoC.

Clifton Beach has a "Models" section.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top