fairly cheap, for the quality
lightweight
many sizes and calibers to choose from
hi-capacity
easy clean and disassembly
but....
trigger's horrible
no REAL safeties

h/w, i would rather go for a 1911 myself; the glock is just good to shoot and ''tear" up
if you get one, i recommend a G17 or 19 (if 9mm) or the 10mm G22
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you buy a Glock when there are USP's?  Seriously?  

They are like AK's.  They are relieable and pretty durable...but when you have HK M4's, XM8's, and G36's out there, you know you can do alot better.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

cheaper and does everything  a USP can do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my comped G35, loads of fun and tight groups. Even more fun with the LEO mags
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accept accuracy and social acceptance.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glocks are excellent weapons and are far more reliable than any other fragmentation grenade.

If you read the owners manual and not shoot reloads maybe they wouldn't blow up on you!

The fact that I can't shoot quality reloads in a pistol of modern design and recent manufacture would concern me.  ...Red flag...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glocks are excellent weapons and are far more reliable than any other fragmentation grenade.

If you read the owners manual and not shoot reloads maybe they wouldn't blow up on you!

The fact that I can't shoot quality reloads in a pistol of modern design and recent manufacture would concern me.  ...Red flag...

Don't all manufacturers frown on reloads?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accept accuracy and social acceptance.  

every glock i have shot hit where I aimed it.

Also mags are alot cheaper for a glock then a USP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
As you've waded through the piles of comments from both pro and hate camps, you've discovered that there are both things to love and hate about the glock pistol.

I think I can give a BETTER appraisal of the current generation of glock pistol. Understand that I am a 1911 govt model man, I also own and carry the Gen 3 Glock model 22 in .40 S&W.

For a carry weapon, I find the following:

6000 rounds through this weapon, no feed failures or failure to fire incidents. Modular frame, not the easiest weapon to conceal but doable. I'm not overly concerned about dinging or scratching it, I see it as a "tool". (Unlike my govt. model in which I notice and scream if ANY scratch is evident as I consider it "My baby")

Reliable, lightweight, combat/duty/defense pistol. Drop it, run it over, piss down the barrel, whatever, it will function. SIMPLE nomenclature. Polymer frame is rugged and durable.

Easy to use zero learning curve, draw, point and POP. I can understand why departments all over the country use the glock. It's simplicity and durability are case after case proven. Plenty of dead badguys can attest to it's utility in the hands of it's user.

As a target pistol, I find it leaves MUCH to be desired. I can not get this pistol to perform accuracywise in comparasin to my 1911, this dissapoints me. However, since it's my "carry weapon" and I understand this, it's no longer an issue. When I want to shoot target for PERFORMANCE, I rely on the 1911.

Appearance: This is one UGLY pistol. But, I also understand that it was intended to be "Business" -v- a work of art.

Safety issues: If you carry this pistol with good leather or a fobus holster and excersize proper trigger diciplen, AD is not an issue. Understand that when you jerk that puppy out of the holster and your finger is ON the trigger, it is READY to fire, don't look for an external safety to disengage, there is none. In many circles, this is an issue for many.

It is NOT the "fragmentation grenade" many bullshit artests try to slip in on the unaware. Yes, there have been bonified KABOOMS, but, no-more-so than any other handgun.

Tactical, once you get use to the ergonomics, it's point and shoot with quick target aquisition in the hands of a shooter who KNOWS what they are doing. The STOCK sights BLOW GOATS IMHO. (Think aftermarket, TRITIUM, it is a CARRY WEAPON)

Cleaning: This is a NO BRAINER... Little else could be easier. This pistol takes down with simplicity.

Additional: S&W and Springfield Armory XD pistols try to DUPLICATE the glock design and both with success, there's much to be said. I must say, SA's XD pistol IMHO is a fantastic improvement on the glock design.

Calibers: MANY! What's your flavor?

Assessories: Too many, and most offer little more than a new gadget that offers little if any REAL tactical advantage.

Overall: As I said above, this is a "tool" or a "duty weapon" as it were. It's not meant to be pretty nor is it meant to be a tack driver. Although, with custom barrels, (that command top dollar) there are COMPETITIVE shooters who take this pistol to their meets and walk away with both CASH and TROPHY. (Of which I have NEVER done or tried to do, I'm way out of my league against such shooters anyway). It's tough, dependable (Goes bang when you need it to), and not overly expensive. A plenty smart design for this tupperware pistol.

Push comes to shove: If the powers that be told me I had to choose between ONE pistol for the rest of my life, I'd take up the 1911 and dump the glock for the rest of my life and never look back. BUT.... understand, it's MY personal preference. I know guys who swear by their glocks who would just as quickly abandon the 1911. Could I trust my life to the glock pistol? That's easy, I already do. That should say something about Glock.

Are glocks any good? Absolutely. What you should be asking yourself is: "Is a GLOCK anygood for ME", screw what anyone else says, you'll be the one carrying it. Unless it's more of a department mandated purchase, you must make that decision on your own. I suggest you go to a range where Glock pistols are RENTED and shoot some before comitting to buying so you can decide for yourself.

FOOTNOTE: I am a former glock HATER. After years of turning my nose at these ugly plastic pistols, I gave them a "try", it performed and I bought one. Also, keep in mind that I am STILL a 1911 guy and the 1911 will remain my first love pistol.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]

I have put about 10,000 rounds of Rainer 9mm plated, 124 gr. hollowpoints, with AA#5 powder at 6.4 grs.  Max is 6.5 gr. Using mixed brass that has been reloaded at least five times.

My 2nd GEN G19 with 3.5 lb trigger and night sights, eats them up like candy. Not a single misfire. And I'm not worried about a kaboom. My G19 has been a great carry gun for five years now. I keep her locked and loaded at all times with Winchester Ranger +P+  127 gr. SXT.

I plan on getting a 2nd GEN G17 and G26 to go with my G19.

I also own a Kimber and like the smaller grip a little better. But with 16 rounds of ammo and  no safety to f*^k with, the G19 will stay as my ccw gun. I also have two mags with plus two rounds as backup.  That's a total of fifty rounds on me at one time. In these days of times with terriost and possible riots.  It's better to have too many rounds of ammo than not enough.

Keep on Glockin

I can also completly break down my G19 in less than thirty seconds. Let's see ya do that with a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
there good guns
reliable (w/ factory ammo)
durable as a mofo
lightweight
hi-capacity
but....
trigger's horrible
no REAL safeties

h/w, i would rather go for a 1911 myself; the glock is just good to shoot and ''tear" up

Already have a couple 1911 type tools in the shed...

and

The thought of a Glock 17 with a 33 round mag is just to inviting!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
there good guns
reliable (w/ factory ammo)
durable as a mofo
lightweight
hi-capacity
but....
trigger's horrible
no REAL safeties

Already have a couple 1911 type tools in the shed...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/DSCN0807Medium_edited.jpg

and

img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/BigDozer66/KimberCustomCDP1.jpg

The thought of a Glock 17 with a 33 round mag is just to inviting!

BigDozer66

Nice!!!, I like how all the edges are softened
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
The 'melted' corners, edges etc. is something that some people like and some don't.

The weight difference between the aluminum and steel frames is noticeable!

Every ounce saved is an ounce more ammo you can carry!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
There seems to be a shortage of G17's!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Glock 22... Gen III

I also own a Sig 226 but my favorite is the Glock I think...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hijack!

What is the difference in the 9mm followers?

Some are marked 9mm and others I received are marked 9mm3.

if nobody else answers im me and i will post an explanation of the different followers incl a warning about the stock followers in  a glock 19 but i've got to run.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Mr. Glock was a genius.  He figured out the absolute cheapest way to throw together a handgun and still have it work.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hijack!

What is the difference in the 9mm followers?

Some are marked 9mm and others I received are marked 9mm3.

if nobody else answers im me and i will post an explanation of the different followers incl a warning about the stock followers in  a glock 19 but i've got to run.

What is the difference between 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What is the difference between 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers?

BigDozer66

The 9mm3's have a slightly redesigned follower to assist in the aid of cambering hollow point (shorter) cartidges.  The latest versions are 4th generation.

I used to thumb my nose at Glocks.  I even handled them quite frequently in preparing for gun burns (gives you an idea what I get paid to do) but never shot one.  One day I saw a deal on a used G17 and bought it.  I now also own a 26, 21 and 30.   BTW - I own a USP and P7M8 for you HK fans.  I wear a G26 on my ankle everyday and I have to tell you that if TSHTF, I'd take either my 17 or 21 with me also (in addition to my Bushmaster).  Glocks are simple, rugged, lightweight, pointable and accurate for my needs.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Now that I have your attention help a brutha out!

With the sunsetting of the AWB my interest in a G17 has increased again.
We won't mention these Normal capacity mags that just showed up! Thanks CDNN for the great customer service!

What are the differences between Generation 1, 2 and 3's? Pro's/Cons of each?

For the sake of this discussion just assume I am Glock ignorant...cause for the most part I am!

All info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
BigDozer66

I have 7.  I will keep buying them until I find a bad one.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ditto!  Exactly what happened to mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
G17 and G26.  The G17 is a hog leg and too much of a pain in the ass to conceal.  The G26 tucks away nicely.  

I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy anything but Glock for my handgun needs.  

ETA  night sights on both.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Nope. They suck ass. Go HK.

NO! NO!  HK SUCKS!  

Glock is good.

Springfield is better.

Sig is best!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The best and most reliable handgun made!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the tupperware in the pantry, man.  Gimme a 1911
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have a passionate dislike for glocks.

Insult my glock and you drink your own beer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have two glocks now... have had four in total in all the various frame sizes.  Ergonomics suck, but they are reliable and tons of accessories for them... and they are cheap... so I still have two.

1st gen - no finger grooves on grip, no accessory rail

2md gen - I believe finger grooves no rail

3rd gen - finger grooves and rail and beafed up rails to accomodate cartridges like the .357 sig in .40 cal pistols with a barrel swap.

That's from memory, so it might not be entirely accurate.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk but that is not completely accurate. The gen's do deal with the frame of the gun but that is not the biggest reason to get one over the other . They have to do with the metal lining in the magazines. I'm sure this has already been addressed though (didn't read all three pages yet).  Don't buy anything but Gen 3 mags

The Glocks with the finger grooves are a matter of preference and you will find fans of both.  There is actually a difference is some Glock 22's and another model of which I am not completely sure where they did redesign a spring or two.  If you are getting a .40cal then educate yourself on this particular detail.   It was only a few years that this was an issue. The new ones are unaffected by this.

As far as their quality...personally I think there is no better combat handgun.  Own sigs...they are nice, own Kimber 1911....very nice, but wouldn't carry it, own a few others.  My favorite is still the plastic fantanstic...combat tupperware....Glock.

Oh, and if you're getting a Glock, then get a decent caliber.......

ETA:  I'm a little misinformed myself....fixed the blunder

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]
i heard they are good
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Are Glocks any good?

Compared to a lb. of shyte, perhaps, I would rather bury it and grow flowers.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I own two 1911A1's that I shoot in matches.  I have a 2" snub .357 I keep in the center console of my vehicle.  That said.............

I went into my favoriate local gun shop as I usually do on Friday afternoon after work.  The shop owner, my friend and shooting partner had three G17, 17 round mags for $20.00 each.  On the spur of the moment impulse I bought them.  Now I'm saving up for a G17.  

But...............what is with the different follower issue on the mags?

I believe that much like the black/green follower issue of the AR one of them caused feeding problems. I remember someone discussing this awhile ago.  I guess the best way to find out is to write Glock

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I read on one Glock specialty website that the Gen 4 mag followers will not work in the other mags?

So all these 'great deals' going around may not work in the Gen 3 gun when I get it.

I need to do a little more research.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Well I went to the Market Hall show in Dallas and looked around at all the Glocks.

I found the G17 with 2-10 rd. mags to be $40.00 cheaper than the ones with 1 or 2-17 rd mags!

I have seen the mags for $17.00 new and $14.00 for demo ones (which I have already got from CDNN!) so I bought the one with the 10 rounders!

I picked up a couple 33 round mags for it!

Brother Nick (of CDNN) had a great sale going and he fixed me up with a Fobus Holster and Mag holder for a great price! Thanks Brother Nick!

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top