Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone in the path of totality on this half of the country want to let me camp in their yard?

Seriously. I'll pay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck all that. I'm going north, hopefully we'll have our camping spot to ourselves while all the sheep are headed south.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be watching it from the upper end of my pasture which borders the National Forest.

Local gov is predicting a massive clusterfuck here in Jackson Hole.
View Quote
Oh man, its gonna be fun up there ain't it.  Imagine all the idiots streaming up/down Teton Pass for this thing...yipes...

We're like ~20-30 miles from the edge of the main band...probably take some little known gravel roads and hit the edge of the band...its not worth the extra hour on gravel roads for another ~1 min of totality.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Think of it as practice for mass evac, just more friendly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is my thought as well,  heading for far Eastern Oregon taking the roads less traveled. I don't think it's going to be that bad out in the middle of nowhere.  Any larger towns along major thoroughfares.,  yeah it's going to be a shitshow.
View Quote
That's what I wanted to do. Rural Idaho but I was quickly overruled and now we're going out to Weiser. It's going to a shitshow.
I'm planning on leaving at 10 pm on Sunday with extra gas, firearms, and plenty of alternative communication gear. Cell Phones are going to go down hard regardless of the backup sites that the carriers are bringing in.

Really thinking the 95% coverage in my AO might be worth it but the next full eclipse that covers most of North America isn't until 2045. Who knows if I still be around then?

I'll be on APRS reporting cloud cover APRS, AM radio and the solar Eclipse (Cloud Reporting)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm seriously reconsidering my trip to Charlotte that weekend. I have to go through Columbia on my way and I have no interest in dealing with evacuation-like traffic (if it'll really be that bad).
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Think of it as practice for mass evac, just more friendly.
View Quote
I guarantee that friendly won't be in anyone's vocabulary that day. Mid-August with drier and hotter conditions than normal along with gas shortages, comm problems leading to all kinds of issues including credit card authorizations, and retards who looked like they stepped out an Apple commercial.

I'll call it a good day if I don't ram a car off the road.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
cool, I can get 96% obscuration in my backyard.

it'll probably be raining.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Riding the bike 3 hrs to a little town in Western WY.  Have some folks gonna let me pitch a tent in their yard.  Then beat feet back to SLC at noon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it y2k again?

Danny
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I wanted to do. Rural Idaho but I was quickly overruled and now we're going out to Weiser. It's going to a shitshow.
I'm planning on leaving at 10 pm on Sunday with extra gas, firearms, and plenty of alternative communication gear. Cell Phones are going to go down hard regardless of the backup sites that the carriers are bringing in.

Really thinking the 95% coverage in my AO might be worth it but the next full eclipse that covers most of North America isn't until 2045. Who knows if I still be around then?

I'll be on APRS reporting cloud cover [url=http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2017-August/047088.html][aprssig] APRS, AM radio and the solar Eclipse (Cloud Reporting)[/url]
View Quote
We're ( a couple of buddies ADV bikes ) leaving Sacramento early Saturday morning and are going to spend two days getting up there going through Lassen on Saturday,  we should be camped out by early Sunday Afternoon and then nothing to do but drink beers and wait.   If the roads aren't completely fucked after the event we'll hit the road,  if they are, well hopefully we'll have some beer left.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any of you guys like me that can just walk outside and see it for 100% need to think about getting all your shit that need maybe that Saturday and just chill through Tuesday.
View Quote
Essentially what I'm planning.  May end up making a run to Lowes, that weekend, but otherwise staying home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I'm debating heading down I5 sunday night to try to get just south of portland (getting on 205 and getting off onto smaller roads south), or go with my friend's idea of paralleling I5 to the west and heading for the Tillamook area. 

And weather conditions........... 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Oregonians have problems driving to work on Monday mornings as it is. Rush hour will be a joy.  Normal workday for me. My wife, son, and youngest daughter are headed to Salem to stay with my eldest daughter to watch the Eclipse.  I heard there is a female exercise called earth x several days after the Eclipse. I wonder if the will study people's behavior.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Hwy 101 my be tough going. City of Newport is closing the bridge for the event. They are not going to allow pedestrian or vehicle traffic onto the bridge.  I heard this from a city of Newport  employee who is reassigned from road improvements to bridge security. They are concerned with people wanting to jump from the bridge during the Eclipse. I say let em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With the stories of travel conditions predicted

200,000+ extra cars expected in Anderson SC county alone
http://www.independentmail.com/story/news/local/2017/08/08/eclipse-may-bring-unprecedented-volume-traffic-upstate/549773001/

Freeways expected to be parking lots
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/traffic-congestion-predictions-maps-eclipse-august-21-2017

For those travelling, what are you packing extra?

For me:
large bottled water package
water filter that fits the empty bottles
battery pack to jump start
shotgun and bear spray
2 weeks worth of 3000 calorie crackers
lighter
rope for pulling stuck vehicle
flashlight w/ batteries
View Quote

No extra gasoline?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why is this such a big deal? It'd be cool to see but im not driving 700 miles and paying hundreds for s hotel room to watch an eclipse for a few minutes.

I dont get the hysteria over it.
View Quote
From what I've seen, it's something for pretentious douches to brag about around the office. Who has the best viewing plans and what not
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
You know, seeing any partial eclipse (anything less than 100%) is just not the same.  It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for some people.  Total solar eclipses are profound experiences.

I've seen it said that there are four great things to see during one's life: the aurora (northern lights), a meteor storm, a great comet, and a total solar eclipse.  I've seen all but the last.  I really want to see and experience it.  That said, traffic and crowds do concern me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No extra gasoline?
View Quote
because I am driving a bicycle down the middle of Hwy 191 to Jackson WY

j/k

This is a good idea to bring
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#21]
All I have to do is go outside. I bet I won't go to work that day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hwy 101 my be tough going. City of Newport is closing the bridge for the event. They are not going to allow pedestrian or vehicle traffic onto the bridge.  I heard this from a city of Newport  employee who is reassigned from road improvements to bridge security. They are concerned with people wanting to jump from the bridge during the Eclipse. I say let em.
View Quote
Yup.

There is also a concern about nutballs deciding to kick-start the Book of Revelations with some kind of mass casualty event. We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm over an hour north of Atlanta and it's just a short drive to be right in the middle where the best views will be seen. I'm sure lots are coming up but it won't affect my Jeep, the little known mountain trail I'm taking to the top or the view from my Eno hammock once there.

Stuff I'm taking isn't much as I'm only going to be an hour from home.

Jeep
Bug out bag thats kept in Rubicon
Blantons bourbon
Montecristo
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Going right past my place,zero fucks given about seeing it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#25]
As soon as we had to cancel our travel plans to the Newberry Crater due to an injury, we should have booked tent and/or cot space in our backyard.

But we didn't, so we'll just sit comfortably on our patio and watch.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's a fucking shadow.
View Quote
What the fuck did you just say?

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

eta And Lil' Kim's going to nuke us then.
View Quote
than we will fight in the shade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From what I've seen, it's something for pretentious douches to brag about around the office. Who has the best viewing plans and what not
View Quote
There has been plenty of that going around for sure.
Most people don't like when I point out that the $1000's they're dropping on their Discover Card could pay for a kickass vacation overseas, some choice firearms, or crap for their kids like school clothes and all that jazz.

I budgeted $250 total. Can't imagine getting near that even with a cheesy shirt, gas, snacks, and a trip to Golden Corral.......Got to do it. We have 1 GC in Western Washington and it sucks even more than normal. I'm genuinely excited to see the crowd that shows up to an Idaho GC. Might be better than the eclipse
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a fucking shadow.
View Quote
It's another great excuse, to Jeep up a tiny mountain trail at the Ga/NC border, hang my hammock and sip good bourbon, while smoking a great cigar.

Stop stepping on my buzz bud 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Mark my words, the people watching will be at least as fun as the eclipse.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll be able to see a lot from home, I'm debating on wether to drive a few hours south or not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My buddy is moving to Lagrange, WY this week.  He will be in prime position to view the eclipse.  My bother in in Alliance, NE tonight.  He said the hotel told him it was a good thing he was there tonight. They are sold out the week leading up to the eclipse.
View Quote
Go check out the airfares to Casper, WY. If you can even find one within a few days of the eclipse, they are in the thousands of dollars from most anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm leaving this Saturday actually and heading to the Midwest. I figure rural Wyoming / Nebraska should be about as quiet as you can get for this. I had initially planned on going to Oregon, but I'm so glad I deep 6'd that idea because its going to be a shit show down there. 
View Quote
My cousins are trying to make it to their beach house north of Lincoln city, OR.  Rumor is it may be tough to get there.  

They want to watch it, but they also want to protect the property.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Seriously?  I've seen a total eclipse before.  It was somewhat interesting, but I sure as hell wouldn't travel hundreds of miles to see one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll be on APRS reporting cloud cover APRS, AM radio and the solar Eclipse (Cloud Reporting)
View Quote
Weiser's going to be a zoo, as is much of Idaho. I'm the 1st call anesthesiologist at the regional trauma facility Monday night and expecting it to be very bad. I'll likely be going to work early and staying there to avoid the roads instead of trying to catch totality . I'll see if I can dig out my 2M/440 handheld and get the batteries charged.

SWMBO and the kids are going to visit my parents in SE Idaho. They're in a nearly perfect location for the eclipse and have a whole house backup generator. I'm sending them with my inReach SE so they can send satellite messages to me by email or send an SOS.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]
SEPA here...will I even see anything at all here (assuming it's not cloudy/rainy which is has been 87% of this summer so far).
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, but please don't underestimate the shit show its going to be.

Its being called the single largest human migration ever, in a single day.........
View Quote
And a couple of hours after it's over all will be normal again, no need for emergency water filtration or survival crackers or any of that dumb shit.   If you go to one of the areas to see 100% you get here early and plan to hang around for a couple hours after.  It'll be about like tailgating at a popular college football game in one of the small towns.  A couple hundred thousand people come in the morning and leave that evening and life goes on. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Meh.

It's going right over Nashville.

I'll walk outside.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is only total across a fairly narrow band of the country.
View Quote

Correct for totality which is the good part.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#40]
We originally planned to take the kids and the RV five hours south to the garden of the gods area for the weekend and stick around Monday for the show BUT after thinking about it a little more we decided otherwise.

Wife would have to take a day off work AND driving five hours in a RV that gets 8mpg.  

So we plan to pull the kids out of school for the show and then go back to our normally scheduled broadcast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A fucking shadow you can't directly look at no matter how far you travel to "see" it.
View Quote
Uhh you do know there's a thing called eclipse glasses right?

It astounds me that some people think it's "just a shadow."

You know you can look right at the eclipse with the right eye protection right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to settle for the 81% (or whatever) in Plano, from the parking lot at work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#43]
The blue line is about 5 miles south of my place.

Primative Camp grounds are going for $100/night.

Being in the mountains with mainly twisty mountain roads, it's going to be terrible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I need some glasses....any neckbearders out there wanna send me 2 pair
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's another great excuse, to Jeep up a tiny mountain trail at the Ga/NC border, hang my hammock and sip good bourbon, while smoking a great cigar.

Stop stepping on my buzz bud 
View Quote
Good luck, we're on the NC/GA border they are claiming doom and gloom. I'll be at my place though sitting at 4200ft though, in the middle of a national forest. No one around. Ill have beer and guns. We'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Over 98% here. Good enough. I'll watch from the yard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#48]
OP, add a portable AM/FM radio, preferably with NOAA weather band capability. If things get rough, advisories will be broadcast on the air.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And a couple of hours after it's over all will be normal again, no need for emergency water filtration or survival crackers or any of that dumb shit.   If you go to one of the areas to see 100% you get here early and plan to hang around for a couple hours after.  It'll be about like tailgating at a popular college football game in one of the small towns.  A couple hundred thousand people come in the morning and leave that evening and life goes on. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but please don't underestimate the shit show its going to be.

Its being called the single largest human migration ever, in a single day.........
There will be people that don't bring extra gas with them, and they will need to buy gas.

There will be people that don't bring food with them, and they will need to buy food.

How well will the supply chain deal with the sudden increase in demand?  It may be just a hiccup in larger cities, but if smaller cities/towns see an influx of people that is several times their normal population, there will be gas stations that run out of gas, and stores with at least some empty shelves.  Toss in the tendency for people to panic (gas shortages tend to get worse due to people running out and filling every gas can they own, when they think it may be a while before stations get more gas), and things could snowball.

Even in the larger cities, traffic is going to suck, due to all the extra people added to the normal rush hour carnage (main reason I'm planning to stay home, since I-24 east of Nashville is such a clusterfuck on a normal day).
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to watch it from my front yard.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top