Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a great offer for a younger person.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh.
Where do I sign up? Lol..
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Basically what you're saying here is that the person would have to work 3 months just to pay for their plane ticket over there.  Then they still have to fly back...  Airfare in the U.S. is insanely pricey.

I doubt many people are going to take that "opportunity."
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Must be some balls out dishwashing if they only want 31 and under!

You cant get a working holiday visa if you are older than 31

Well that sucks.  What kind of silly law is that?

How many visas do you give people who are non-skilled tourists of any age? Your visa laws are at least more restrictive than this.

HA!  You've never been to Disneyland! Everyone there, but Americans
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Basically what you're saying here is that the person would have to work a month to pay for their plane ticket over there.  Airfare in the U.S. is insanely pricey.

Why go outside your hometown when you already know everything there is to know and you can see some pictures on the internet ey?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Must be some balls out dishwashing if they only want 31 and under!

Well that sucks.  What kind of silly law is that?

How many visas do you give people who are non-skilled tourists of any age? Your visa laws are at least more restrictive than this.

HA!  You've never been to Disneyland! Everyone there, but Americans

Id rather lose my anal virginity than go to Disneyland
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was not for College I would do this, plan to see Aussie next summer
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Got you beat.  I work 5 days-on / 5 days-off (12 hour days).  Work in a data center in IT support and the pay is pretty good too.  The shift work is tough, fair amount of stress and there is a lot of work to do.  Pretty pooped by the time the shift is done.  

But there is plenty of upside I suppose.  I'll soon get 4 weeks of vacation, and have 8 holidays (to use as vacation), and 1 personal day.  What's nice is I only have to tack on 2 days of vacation to an off shift and then I'm off for a week.  Sweet.  

Think I'll stay with my 3 12 hr days and 4 days off
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I want to go to Disneyland
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
4 days off do whatever you want.

Got you beat.  I work 5 days-on / 5 days-off (12 hour days).  Work in a data center in IT support and the pay is pretty good too.  The shift work is tough, fair amount of stress and there is a lot of work to do.  Pretty pooped by the time the shift is done.  

But there is plenty of upside I suppose.  I'll soon get 4 weeks of vacation, and have 8 holidays (to use as vacation), and 1 personal day.  What's nice is I only have to tack on 2 days of vacation to an off shift and then I'm off for a week.  Sweet.  

Oh FFS! I couldnt give a fuck if you were the president of the USA this is just for someone who wants to earn a few bob and see another country not as a fucking career move.

.  Don't have to get hostile...MATE!

Open a thread on how good you are if thats what you are interested in pal.

Sorry Bobmeister.  Perhaps my post was came off as boastful (or just annoying ).  At any rate....cheers.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
4 days off do whatever you want.

Oh FFS! I couldnt give a fuck if you were the president of the USA this is just for someone who wants to earn a few bob and see another country not as a fucking career move.

.  Don't have to get hostile...MATE!

Open a thread on how good you are if thats what you are interested in pal.

Sorry Bobmeister.  Perhaps my post was came off as boastful (or just annoying ).  At any rate....cheers.  

Annoying

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Basically what you're saying here is that the person would have to work a month to pay for their plane ticket over there.  Airfare in the U.S. is insanely pricey.

Why go outside your hometown when you already know everything there is to know and you can see some pictures on the internet ey?

You missed my point.

If I want to see Australia, and I do plan to visit some day, I can do so without working every day while I'm there.

This opportunity would sound a lot better if airfare wasn't almost $2,000 US.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You missed my point.

If I want to see Australia, and I do plan to visit some day, I can do so without working every day while I'm there.

This opportunity would sound a lot better if airfare wasn't almost $2,000 US.

You would still have to work for a month to save the $2000 for the ticket anyway in the US so the cost of the ticket is neither here nor there IMO.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
That would be kinda cool... but I couldnt take the pay cut and I am one year too old.

We have friends in NZ that we could visit while there, though! In general, Kiwis and Aussies rock abroad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
If I was single, had no kids, and the pay was AT LEAST double, I'd consider it.

I love to travel, but I also love money and the US.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
As long as we wouldn't have to put up with any soccer fags or the gay metric system.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As long as we wouldn't have to put up with any soccer fags or the gay metric system.

There's that, too.

How hard is to to catch NCAA football games abroad?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
What is the food?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

$68k for a kitchenhand
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$68k for a kitchenhand

No. $68k to be a computer guy. If I'm going to have a "working vacation" where I work 10 on 4 off, I might as well do something I enjoy and pays well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Can I bring the family
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Heh, I would like to see you try and play soccer for 15 minutes. It will whip your ass especially in TX heat. Football (US type) players have to have pads, none in soccer except for your shins and they get very physical at times.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool, I sent this to a friend of mine who just lost his job. He doesn't have a family to worry about so he could up and leave for a year and no one would care. He loves him some ladies of Oz.

-JTP
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What is the food?

eat off the menu or cook your own from the kitchen
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the food?

I think he means "what kind of restaurant is it?". What's on the menu?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cool, I sent this to a friend of mine who just lost his job. He doesn't have a family to worry about so he could up and leave for a year and no one would care. He loves him some ladies of Oz.

-JTP

It'd be a cool gig for a single guy, if you ask me. ESPECIALLY if he (like me) loooooves the Aussie ladies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
If I was young again with no responsibilities  , I would be all over this.

Who ever goes....you will have a good time doing something like this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm 33 and may have some time off this winter.

How firm is the 'under 31' part?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Firm
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firm

Out of curiosity, is this an employer thing, or some weird customs law/regulation?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firm

Out of curiosity, is this an employer thing, or some weird customs law/regulation?

We want your young women not your old fat worn out ones

You get free healthcare or heavily subsidised maybe something to do with that. But its a shame that you dont find it wierd people have to sneak in the US and work for $5 an hour? Here you get all the protections afforded to any australian which is a pretty good thing and the minimum wage is twice the US. Pretty fair if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firm

You get free healthcare or heavily subsidised maybe something to do with that. But its a shame that you dont find it wierd people have to sneak in the US and work for $5 an hour? Here you get all the protections afforded to any australian which is a pretty good thing and the minimum wage is twice the US. Pretty fair if you ask me.

Yeh but what is the cost of living like down under?
If someone makes $18 an hour that sounds good until you realize that a Hamburger
is $7
Of course if the hamburger is free that makes a big difference
What does a pack of cig's cost down under?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firm

If someone makes $18 an hour that sounds good until you realize that a Hamburger
is $7

Cigs are expensive about $9 for 25 pack. Cheeseburger at maccas is $1.50. Beer $35 for 24 pack. Petrol $7 a gallon. But $430 a week after living expenses (food, rent and tax) goes pretty far if you watch your money properly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the food?

I think he means "what kind of restaurant is it?". What's on the menu?

Yes, what is typical fare there?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Firm

is $7

Cigs are expensive about $9 for 25 pack. Cheeseburger at maccas is $1.50. Beer $35 for 24 pack. Petrol $7 a gallon. But $430 a week after living expenses (food, rent and tax) goes pretty far if you watch your money properly.

WOAHHHHHHHHHH is this American Dollars ? $35 for a 24 pack of Beer
So the cost of living negates the $18 an hour job
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGE DISCRIMINATION!!!!

31?  Not that I would want to do that.

Did a job is WA 12 years ago...

People pay $300 a night and $100 a day to trek there its world heritage listed. Dont know what you are missing my friend. and $18 an hour to wash dishes is not too bad.

Yeah, Western Australia wasn't all that spectacular.  But the job picked up the tab.

WA is a dust bowl. Tasmania is a jewel

Not entirely. The South West is awesome. Kalgoorlie and north of there is literally a desert and crappy.

I grew up in Perth and lived in the hills (Mundaring) and also down in the South West in Bunbury. It's very much like Tasmania down there - weather and vegetation wise, albeit a bit warmer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump anyone else interested pm me today last chance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Why the age limit?  I'm 43 and spent nearly a month traveling Australia and NZ last fall, staying in hostels and such.  

Nevermind, I just saw this:

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why the age limit?  I'm 43 and spent nearly a month traveling Australia and NZ last fall, staying in hostels and such.  

On a tourist visa you can stay as long as you want but you cant work. But if you are over 31 you need a business visa usually applied for by your employer as you do in the US. A 43 year old cant go the US and just work either so i dont know why you find this strange
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
A 43 year old cant go the US and just work either so i dont know why you find this strange

See, I didn't know that. I've never had a reason to try and get a visa here in the US.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A 43 year old cant go the US and just work either so i dont know why you find this strange

See, I didn't know that. I've never had a reason to try and get a visa here in the US.

hmm.... sounds like a plan.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top