User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are these in running condition ? as in dump some fuel in it and charge the battery
and drive off ?

I would be surprised if they were.

If there was nothing wrong with it, the gov wouldn't surplus it.

They usually sit for over a year before they go up for auction.

I've seen all types of problems with them, from missing batteries, to bad air lines.

Plus, you DO NOT get a title for them. You get form SF-97, which you can use to get a title. You will have to have the truck hauled away - the base WILL NOT let you drive off in it.

Av.

Don't forget the reports from the SS site of the people that inspected their truck, won the bid, then took 2-4 months to get their End User paperwork approved, then went to pick up their to find out that it had been canabalized for some parts (e.g. tires, batteries, steering wheels, etc.).

Buying a truck from GL is a very chancy proposition.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I want either one of these or a 5 ton truck for when teh zombies come.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Might be fun to put a Duramax in it or something.  Lots of work, fabrication and a pain in the ass, but I think it would be a lot of fun.  

How did I miss that?!?!? ROFL!!!

I knew some of these Duramax guys were getting weird, but YEESH!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I want either one of these or a 5 ton truck for when teh zombies come.

I want either the M817 or M929 five ton dump trucks.  I need more space, so I gotta move to get one.

List I put together a couple years on Deuce and a halfs:

Deuce Good/Bad:

Good:

- Extreme coolness factor.  Ownership means automatic invitation to any and all parades within a 50 mile radius (slight exaggeration but not much)
- Extremely simple to work on
- Fairly competent on the trails (e.g. Tellico Deuce - correction: it's actually a five ton M817)
- Can literally tow a house (the 10 ton versions do exactly that - look at the ads for the Kennedy House Moving Company), although max rated is 10k lbs or so for a deuce on the road, 5k lbs off road.
- Parts are fairly plentiful and there's a good technical support network (Steel Soldiers.com)
- Designed to run on almost any type of fuel: diesel, veggie oil, JP-8, av gas, commercial gasoline, biodiesel, etc.  I think the max gas ratio is about 50% or so.

Bad:

- Very loud; ear plugs + muffs usually required for highway driving
- Very cold or very hot depending on the weather (like reptiles, they take on the external temps)
- Requires very large tools to work on (10 ton floor jacks, 1" sockets etc.)
- Very heavy parts and equipment; GVW empty is around 13,500 lbs. vs. 8000 for our PSD's; stock wheels and tires weigh +200 lbs, Super Singles typically weigh in the +300 lb. area.
- Slow; typical highway max speed is 55 mph; this can be slightly increased by going to Super Singles with their larger diameter tire plus upping the boost a little
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good friend of mine is sells these things if anyone's interested.

The guy up in Cedar Park?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of MPG would one of those get?  

I think they measure it in GPH.    Like ocean tankers.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good friend of mine is sells these things if anyone's interested.

The guy up in Cedar Park?

Nah, out around Alvord.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Might be fun to put a Duramax in it or something.  Lots of work, fabrication and a pain in the ass, but I think it would be a lot of fun.  

No shit.  The Durapuke sucks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Do I understand corectly from this thread that you would not need a CDL for one of the 2.5 ton units?

Thay have a few of them here in PA:

web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=USPA|truck&Ntk=P_Auction_Country_State|P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall|mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&location=US_PA&words=truck&cmd=keyword

Man I need to buy a camp somewhere where I could store and work on something like this!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do I understand corectly from this thread that you would not need a CDL for one of the 2.5 ton units?

Thay have a few of them here in PA:

web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=USPA|truck&Ntk=P_Auction_Country_State|P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall|mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&location=US_PA&words=truck&cmd=keyword

Man I need to buy a camp somewhere where I could store and work on something like this!

Only in CA, AFAIK.  Now insurance is another thing...the brakes SUCK.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now insurance is another thing...the brakes SUCK.

Huh?  Ours cost $245/year to insure (liability only).  It's included as just another vehicle in the fleet, and the same carrier does our homeowners and auto so it wasn't a big deal to add it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  Ours cost $245/year to insure (liability only).  It's included as just another vehicle in the fleet, and the same carrier does our homeowners and auto so it wasn't a big deal to add it.

I have a buddy that's into collecting these things.  His insurance on a 2 1/2 and 5-ton runs about $300 a year for both.

Interestingly, he had more hassles insuring the Unimog.  The insurance agent just heard "Mercedes convertible" and was insisting on over $1,000 a year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey hey hey, I'm not a diesel guy at all. I just know they make good power and I'm a fan of motor swaps.  I said Duramax because it's the first thing that I thought of.  So what's wrong with that?  It's not like I said "I'd pimp that wit 28" spinnas yo!"  Are you guys saying it's stupid to put a new motor in it altogether, or just a duramax?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey hey hey, I'm not a diesel guy at all. I just know they make good power and I'm a fan of motor swaps.  I said Duramax because it's the first thing that I thought of.  So what's wrong with that?  It's not like I said "I'd pimp that wit 28" spinnas yo!"  Are you guys saying it's stupid to put a new motor in it altogether, or just a duramax?

Why swap at all?  The motors are dependable, easy to work on and parts are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
One guy on SS put a Cummins in his deuce; it was a very tight fit IRC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Durapuke sucks balls.  I LIKE motorswaps, however...I see no reason to swap one in a deuce.  The stock motor is good and reliable.  They don't make that much power, but...not everyone needs a 550hp diesel.  I don't, at least not in a deuce chassis.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
GL quit issuing SF-97's for some time, have the started again?

They have been issuing them for about a year now.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a buddy that's into collecting these things.  His insurance on a 2 1/2 and 5-ton runs about $300 a year for both.

Interestingly, he had more hassles insuring the Unimog.  The insurance agent just heard "Mercedes convertible" and was insisting on over $1,000 a year.

Does he isure them a "collector" vehicles or as a daily driver?

My M38A1 costs under $100 a year to insure, but it's a collector vehicle, not a daily driver.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does he isure them a "collector" vehicles or as a daily driver?

My M38A1 costs under $100 a year to insure, but it's a collector vehicle, not a daily driver.

Av.

Not sure, needless to say he switched companies. To date I think he insures 5 military vehicles.  Don't know about the armored car.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Are there "standard" rims available so you would be able to get rid of the split rims?

And the .Mil tires, do they work well?  Looking at them it seems the only directions you have traction is straight forward.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never seen rims other than the split rims.  I have however seen many new radial tires on the split rims.  You use the tube and flaps with the original wheels.  

The .mil tires suck ass.

The best engine for the Deuce is the one that' sin it.  Those multifuel engines will burn diesel, gasoline, kerosene, fuel oil...   They also put out over 400# of torque @ about 1100 RPM.

I always used low range in the transfer case while off roading to disperse the power throughout the tranny a bit more.  It is not uncommon to tear the center out of the clutch otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are there "standard" rims available so you would be able to get rid of the split rims?

And the .Mil tires, do they work well?  Looking at them it seems the only directions you have traction is straight forward.

Depends on which .mil tires you're talking about.

The WWII version tires known as NDCC (non-directional cross country) are excellent...

At killing people.  Useless on the road when it's wet.  This is a pre-WWII design and should have died years ago.

The Michelin's are much better.  SS would have better specifics, I think "Super Singles" are a sticky over there.

Pretty much my experience as well.  I have seen all three axles locked up on pavement...scary sight as the truck fishtailed.  Off road, they are pretty much good for getting you stuck in 4 feet of mud ruts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because 427ci turbo-charged amd 465ci naturally aspirated multi fuel diesels both own a Duramax's ass. You're talking pickup engines into a 2 1/2 ton truck that already has one of the most bomb proof and versatile engines fielded.

You wanna talk kinky swaps, talk a Cummins ISX 600.
If it would fit,then there's the issue of having soooo much torque,it would shatter the driveline.
Seen a 6V-71 stuck in one,though,can't beat that 2 stroke sound!

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#28]
*EDIT* Oops, PM sent
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Or go get one off of ebay,let someone else go through the trouble! I wouldn't mind an M-135,or a -211,151,Gamma Goat,T-62,GOER.............
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because 427ci turbo-charged amd 465ci naturally aspirated multi fuel diesels both own a Duramax's ass. You're talking pickup engines into a 2 1/2 ton truck that already has one of the most bomb proof and versatile engines fielded.

If it would fit,then there's the issue of having soooo much torque,it would shatter the driveline.

Oh it's destroy everything behind the fucking flywheel - but then that's the fun of engine swaps!

Seriously, only reason I mentioned that is to point out that you should swap UP, not down.

I personally wouldn't dream of running anything other than the 427 or 465 in a duece - they're great engines!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 stroke diesels.  Most effective way of turning perfectly good diesel into noise.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 stroke diesels.  Most effective way of turning perfectly good diesel into noise.  
You forgot lots of smoke!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top