BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All the religion bashing here is pathetic.

I have not seen a report on this yet so I am waiting for confirmation. Hope its true.

Not bashing religion, just the overt affiliation by the R-party, which has alienated or just turned away many voters due to the appearance of an excessive leaning.  Voters in general aren't interested in a party that pays himage to a particular religion.  Respect is one thing.  PArticular affiliation is another.

A party platform that respects religious viewpoints & the social undergirding that a belief has built in this nation is laudible, but the "religious right" pertains to a politico-religous movement that argues that evangelical Christianity - specifically - is the cornerstone of the Constitution & thus the law.  This isn't the case.  Yes, certian views/beliefs that can be ascribed to Christianity did indeed influence them at the time, but looking objectively at history, they did not necessarily agree on anything beyond basic, general views in this regard.  This shouldn't be surprising, given their English & Western European cultural heritage.  I would've been surpised if it had not played a role in some fasion.  Never the less, what they did not do was create a theocracy, which the "religious right" pushes to a certain degree in some of their enterprises (I'm not even going to get into the $$$ that flows into the hands of certain "leaders").  I don't think they aspire to an actual theocracy as such, but they push certain issues to a degree that approaches a theocratic tone.

Let me make this clear: I'm not bashing religion or favoring atheism (I'm not an atheist).  However, I am critical of a religionsly-motivated political movement which espouses itself as an authentic argument for gov't based on Christianity, something that the framers did NOT assert or even imply in what they wrote.  Better to recognize the role that Christianity had as an influence, & respect religious belief as a whole.

Would you feel at ease if the current president had Muslim-themed overture during the primaries & the convention, or would that be giving deference?  For the record, my grandfather was a Muslim, though I am not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not seen a report on this yet so I am waiting for confirmation. Hope its true.

Not bashing religion, just the overt affiliation by the R-party, which has alienated or just turned away many voters due to the appearance of an excessive leaning.  Voters in general aren't interested in a party that pays himage to a particular religion.  Respect is one thing.  PArticular affiliation is another.

A party platform that respects religious viewpoints & the social undergirding that a belief has built in this nation is laudible, but the "religious right" pertains to a politico-religous movement that argues that evangelical Christianity - specifically - is the cornerstone of the Constitution & thus the law.  This isn't the case.  Yes, certian views/beliefs that can be ascribed to Christianity did indeed influence them at the time, but looking objectively at history, they did not necessarily agree on anything beyond basic, general views in this regard.  This shouldn't be surprising, given their English & Western European cultural heritage.  I would've been surpised if it had not played a role in some fasion.  Never the less, what they did not do was create a theocracy, which the "religious right" pushes to a certain degree in some of their enterprises (I'm not even going to get into the $$$ that flows into the hands of certain "leaders").  I don't think they aspire to an actual theocracy as such, but they push certain issues to a degree that approaches a theocratic tone.

Let me make this clear: I'm not bashing religion or favoring atheism (I'm not an atheist).  However, I am critical of a religionsly-motivated political movement which espouses itself as an authentic argument for gov't based on Christianity, something that the framers did NOT assert or even imply in what they wrote.  Better to recognize the role that Christianity had as an influence, & respect religious belief as a whole.

Would you feel at ease if the current president had Muslim-themed overture during the primaries & the convention, or would that be giving deference?  For the record, my grandfather was a Muslim, though I am not.

So you're worried about a Theocracy?  In America?

Get back to me when you have a real objection.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wonder how Sarah is going to mount this RINO head on her wall?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And Newt Gingrich comes out of this with egg on his face.

He turned out to be a real idiot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Now we have a great chance to win. Thanks you Conservitive Republicans, all.

Remember Regan: Never say anything bad about a fellow Republican. The Dems love that shit!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  

That pansy dumbass Gingrich won the vote in 1994 embracing the very principles he betrayed.  He was sent to D.C. to kick some ass and he flaked out.

He deserves egg on his f#$%ing face.

His climate change commercial with Pelosi was absolutely gobsmacking.  I still can't believe he did that.

Just another has-been politician dabbling in the all-things-to-all-people routine.  He's spent all his socio-political currency on a bombed-out casue that never was.  The 1994 turnover was a potential defining moment for the R-party & they utterly fumbled the ball inside the 10 yd line.  I sat there watching repubs lose every damned battle before & during Bush II's tenure & kept asking myself when they were going to pull out the stops, but they never did.  No conviction, no guts, no game.  They couldn't touch anything they claimed after getting into office.  They didn't have the guts to push any reform or agenda, unlike their counterparts in power now.

A 3rd party needs to pick up the conservative reigns, seeing as how no one else is carrying them, & drop the religious-right along the way.  Politics & religion are a bad mix, each diluting the other.  A lot of people got turned off by GHWB's re-election campaign convention, myself included.  He handed the job to Clinton w/ that.

The religious right is probably the core of the conservative voting base. You drop them and you have nothing. What's your beef with them?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[
Good.  

That pansy dumbass Gingrich won the vote in 1994 embracing the very principles he betrayed.  He was sent to D.C. to kick some ass and he flaked out.

He deserves egg on his f#$%ing face

His climate change commercial with Pelosi was absolutely gobsmacking.  I still can't believe he did that.

A 3rd party needs to pick up the conservative reigns, seeing as how no one else is carrying them, & drop the religious-right along the way. Politics & religion are a bad mix, each diluting the other.  A lot of people got turned off by GHWB's re-election campaign convention, myself included.  He handed the job to Clinton w/ that.

Nice try.

Who's trying?

Overt courting of religion in politics is a bad plan.  It's always OK when it's your religion.  Maybe if they courted a different belief you'd have a different opinion.  It's a double edged sword, not to mention, it has the effect of respecting a particular religous establishment.  Bad policy.

Your church has you buffalo'ed if you think it's OK to blur the line.

Nobody said the candidate has to perform full-immersion Baptisms on the stump... but that's not what you said.  You said "drop the religious right."

If you're going to kick Christians and evangelicals out of the party, you're going to find that there aren't nearly enough atheist anarcho-liberatarians to staff your phone banks, go door-to-door, and participate in GOTV efforts.  If you think there are enough Ron Paul voters out there to replace the Christian "values voters," you need to re-examine your math.

YOUR values are OUR values!  The whole religious right banner is pandering propaganda.  You should know better than that!  

Do you really need someone waving a flag with a cross on it so that you know who to vote for?

The religious right is what made republicans "democrats with god". Most of the evangelicals I know don't know about any other issues other than abortion and teh ghey. They actually thought mccain won the debates. Of course if you don't know about acorn, freddie mac, ect, you wouldn't know they aren't being addressed.

Also, how many catholics voted for obama? I forget, was it 70 percent or 80 percent? I work at a catholic and it's been nothing but praise obama since he's gotten elected. I know several catholics that were actually told to vote for obama at their church. For all I know all the catholic churches did. Same with my episicaol neighbors. Don't confuse "religion" with conservative. Although there are parallels, they aren't not interchangable.

How many times has the catholoic officals condemmed captialism? I forgot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
So is she getting all the credit, or do the doznes of other conservatives who have done the same thing and the thousands of donors who have done the same thing get any?

Kind of easy to do when everyone else is doing it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Newt is on the Obama White House visitors list. Guilt through association.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So is she getting all the credit, or do the doznes of other conservatives who have done the same thing and the thousands of donors who have done the same thing get any?

Painful for ya? I would give Palin 90% of the credit 10% to the candidate .
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

thank god

ive been praying for this to happen

ETA: jeez don't any of you watch the news and pay attention to whats going on?  

80% do not pay attention, and just go along to get along
10% pays attention half the time
10% actually pay attention
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good.

That pansy dumbass Gingrich won the vote in 1994 embracing the very principles he betrayed. He was sent to D.C. to kick some ass and he flaked out.

His climate change commercial with Pelosi was absolutely gobsmacking. I still can't believe he did that.

he still thinks that the contract with America won the GOP the elections in 1994.
He never even talks about the AWB passing as a contributor to the 1994 victory. Even Clinton said that the AWB lost him the house and senate.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not painfull at all. I like Palin, though I am not a leg humper (sorry), her alone wouldn't have been able to pull it off, kind of like 2008

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not painfull at all. I like Palin, though I am not a leg humper (sorry), her alone wouldn't have been able to pull it off, kind of like 2008

If Palin had not endorsed him we would not even be talking about it and McCain would have lost by an even larger margin There is no denying she energized the base in the 2008 election . She is clearly the unofficial head of the Conservative movement .Like it or not
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Palin had not endorsed him we would not even be talking about it and McCain would have lost by an even larger margin There is no denying she energized the base in the 2008 election . She is clearly the unofficial head of the Conservative movement .Like it or not

That all depends on who you talk to
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're worried about a Theocracy?  In America?

Get back to me when you have a real objection.

If you can't comprehend the appearance of religious association & how it affects voter perception of the party, or if you presume conservative = Christian, then there's nothing to "come back to.  There's no solution to such bias.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  

Just another has-been politician dabbling in the all-things-to-all-people routine.  He's spent all his socio-political currency on a bombed-out casue that never was.  The 1994 turnover was a potential defining moment for the R-party & they utterly fumbled the ball inside the 10 yd line.  I sat there watching repubs lose every damned battle before & during Bush II's tenure & kept asking myself when they were going to pull out the stops, but they never did.  No conviction, no guts, no game.  They couldn't touch anything they claimed after getting into office.  They didn't have the guts to push any reform or agenda, unlike their counterparts in power now.

A 3rd party needs to pick up the conservative reigns, seeing as how no one else is carrying them, & drop the religious-right along the way.  Politics & religion are a bad mix, each diluting the other.  A lot of people got turned off by GHWB's re-election campaign convention, myself included.  He handed the job to Clinton w/ that.

The religious right is probably the core of the conservative voting base. You drop them and you have nothing. What's your beef with them?

The R-party has presented itself as the Christian political home-base, which necessarily turns off other voters who may share similar principles, but who are not "believers".  Better to make it a party that presents as being open to voters that share similar values, rather than a Christian club.  That isn't about bashing Christians.  They should be as much a part of the party as Muslims, Mormons, or <gasp> atheists who would share similar core principles & values, but it shouldn't be the dominant theme, as has been the presentation at times.  Responsible statesmanship should be the emphasis.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The GOP will be the death of the GOP.

Republican Scozzafava Endorses Democrat After Exiting N.Y. Congressional Race

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/01/scozzafava-endorses-democrat-dropping-ny-congressional-race/
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The two political parties are just alike and the people have no power.

Don't you all remember that?

You're trying to be funny but the fact is he ran as an independent not a Republican  

The GOP might learn a lesson.

Edit

Egg on your face my friend.

They are alike look one post up.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  

A 3rd party needs to pick up the conservative reigns, seeing as how no one else is carrying them, & drop the religious-right along the way. Politics & religion are a bad mix, each diluting the other.  A lot of people got turned off by GHWB's re-election campaign convention, myself included.  He handed the job to Clinton w/ that.

Nice try.

Aww, poor little guy.  You'll get over it.

About 50% of people who attended church every week voted for Obama.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/09/nation/na-godgap9

More than half of all Catholics voted for Obama.

Courting the religious right hasn't worked out well for Republicans, they'd rather vote for a Pro-fetus murdering Pro-sodomite than an average candidate like John McCain.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're trying to be funny but the fact is he ran as an independent not a Republican  

Edit

My point was the PEOPLE still have plenty of power.  
We FORCED the GOP to back the right person and we can take the GOP back from the rinos.

I knew exactly what I was saying.
How is that egg on my face?

GOP backs a winner in Hoffman

By Yael T. Abouhalkah, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist

How quickly did the Republican National Committee change its spots on the special congressional election in New York? Watch this.

Early Saturday, Republican candidate Dede Scozzafava dropped out, badly trailing in the polls.

Hours later, RNC Chairman Michael Steele said his group had come out fully in support of Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman.

A few days ago, of course, the official Republican line was that Scozzafava was the best candidate and Hoffman was looked at like a fringe candidate, someone supported by only the ultra-conservatives such as Sarah Palin.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
Good.  

He deserves egg on his f#$%ing face

Nice try.

Who's trying?

Overt courting of religion in politics is a bad plan.  It's always OK when it's your religion.  Maybe if they courted a different belief you'd have a different opinion.  It's a double edged sword, not to mention, it has the effect of respecting a particular religous establishment.  Bad policy.

Your church has you buffalo'ed if you think it's OK to blur the line.

Nobody said the candidate has to perform full-immersion Baptisms on the stump... but that's not what you said.  You said "drop the religious right."

If you're going to kick Christians and evangelicals out of the party, you're going to find that there aren't nearly enough atheist anarcho-liberatarians to staff your phone banks, go door-to-door, and participate in GOTV efforts.  If you think there are enough Ron Paul voters out there to replace the Christian "values voters," you need to re-examine your math.

YOUR values are OUR values!  The whole religious right banner is pandering propaganda.  You should know better than that!  

Do you really need someone waving a flag with a cross on it so that you know who to vote for?

The religious right is what made republicans "democrats with god". Most of the evangelicals I know don't know about any other issues other than abortion and teh ghey. They actually thought mccain won the debates. Of course if you don't know about acorn, freddie mac, ect, you wouldn't know they aren't being addressed.

Also, how many catholics voted for obama? I forget, was it 70 percent or 80 percent? I work at a catholic and it's been nothing but praise obama since he's gotten elected. I know several catholics that were actually told to vote for obama at their church. For all I know all the catholic churches did. Same with my episicaol neighbors. Don't confuse "religion" with conservative. Although there are parallels, they aren't not interchangable.

How many times has the catholoic officals condemmed captialism? I forgot.

Maybe you guys should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Republican party wasn't doing it. Palin was one of the few big names who went the other way. Many people donated after she spoke up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most of the evangelicals I know don't know about any other issues other than abortion and teh ghey.

I'm an evangelical Christian who is pro-gun, pro-hunting, pro-small government, anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage (in the interest of disclosure) passionately hates ACORN, the United Nations, virtually everything the left stands for, ad nauseum.

I'm in Georgia fairly often these days. Want to take me hog hunting? That way you can say you have at least one evangelical friend that knows who ACORN is.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The R-party has presented itself as the Christian political home-base, which necessarily turns off other voters who may share similar principles, but who are not "believers".  Better to make it a party that presents as being open to voters that share similar values, rather than a Christian club.  That isn't about bashing Christians.  They should be as much a part of the party as Muslims, Mormons, or <gasp> atheists who would share similar core principles & values, but it shouldn't be the dominant theme, as has been the presentation at times.  Responsible statesmanship should be the emphasis.

I'm not religious. Not at all. But Christian conservatives don't bother me in the slightest.

Frankly I doubt Muslims or atheists have much of the vote. Reality is that our bigger problem is with black and hispanics, who are religious and socially conservative, but who seem to be fine with big government and distrust capitalism.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

We FORCED the GOP to back the right person and we can take the GOP back from the rinos.

How quickly did the Republican National Committee change its spots on the special congressional election in New York? Watch this.

Early Saturday, Republican candidate Dede Scozzafava dropped out, badly trailing in the polls.

Hours later, RNC Chairman Michael Steele said his group had come out fully in support of Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman.

A few days ago, of course, the official Republican line was that Scozzafava was the best candidate and Hoffman was looked at like a fringe candidate, someone supported by only the ultra-conservatives such as Sarah Palin.

We forced them because they want to keep their jobs ...not because their policies or values changed  

after the election  Business as usual on the hill.

When are you going to get that?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

We forced them because they want to keep their jobs ...not because their policies or values changed  

Who cares what their personal values are? It's their voting record that matters, and as long as they vote conservatively, then they'll keep their jobs. It's not that hard to figure out.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares what their personal values are? It's their voting record that matters, and as long as they vote conservatively, then they'll keep their jobs. It's not that hard to figure out.

Did you miss this part?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I didn't miss it, but if they are self-serving enough to realize that in order to get re-elected they have to vote against a policy that they would otherwise support, then it doesn't matter. The prevailing winds are changing and those smart enough to read them will vote accordingly or suffer the consequences.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palin had the right answer all along. Some of the others are getting a lesson, it seems.

Ditching the GOP for a third party would amount to losing critical election cycles. We don't want to continue losing until 2016 or so, after commieCare and tax&trade and cardcheck and amnesty are shoved through. Hence, we need the GOP. But we need to bitchslap a few of them along the way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<...> Real Conservatives like Sarah Palin and Mike Pawlenty endorsed Mr. Kauffman
EARLY, when it was seen as a VERY risky move by the professional Republicans. <....>

I think you mean Tim Pawlenty (Gov of MN) and if so, you should be advised that he is not a "real conservative" by any means.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I didn't miss it, but if they are self-serving enough to realize that in order to get re-elected they have to vote against a policy that they would otherwise support, then it doesn't matter. The prevailing winds are changing and those smart enough to read them will vote accordingly or suffer the consequences.

I have been down this road so, so, many times.

let's hope you're right but I'm an old geezer and have been watching this for a long time.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#33]
\why no mention yet of the fact that after dropping out she endorsed the Democratic candidate?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

let's hope you're right but I'm an old geezer and have been watching this for a long time.
I know what you're saying, and I understand the cynicism, but I think the Dems have one thing right: we ARE living in historic times, just not for the reasons they think. As a self-proclaimed old geezer, have you ever in the past witnessed the type of conservative outcry we are witnessing now?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

I know that.  More than you think.  

How do you expect to control politicians?  You don't REALLY expect all of them to think like us do you?

They HAVE to be controlled.   Through fear, money and whatever else we can leverage them with.

Politicians like Palin are few and far between.  She is a force multiplier for us and I can't believe many here don't want to take advantage of that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  

That's what turned me against him.

A real shame, too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A 3rd party needs to pick up the conservative reigns, seeing as how no one else is carrying them, & drop the religious-right along the way.

News flash, junior: The majority of the Conservative base is ALSO religious right. You can't drop one without the other.

Politics & religion are a bad mix, each diluting the other.  A lot of people got turned off by GHWB's re-election campaign convention, myself included.  He handed the job to Clinton w/ that.

Maybe, but he didn't exactly defend the Standard of Conservatism, with or without the religion. We also had Mr. Perot in the mix.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#38]
we took God out of American and we got what we got
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you're saying, and I understand the cynicism, but I think the Dems have one thing right: we ARE living in historic times, just not for the reasons they think. As a self-proclaimed old geezer, have you ever in the past witnessed the type of conservative outcry we are witnessing now?

I can say that I reaaly haven't but we are reaching a critical point in history for this country.

What's going to be decided in the next 3 years or 7 years will have an impact long after Obama is gone

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

I know that.  More than you think.  

How do you expect to control politicians?  You don't REALLY expect all of them to think like us do you?

They HAVE to be controlled.   Through fear, money and whatever else we can leverage them with.

Politicians like Palin are few and far between.  She is a force multiplier for us and I can't believe many here don't want to take advantage of that.

sherrick I know we are on the same side here as most of the members here.

Sometimes this just drives me nuts. And it's not even so much for myself or my wife.

It's my  2 grand kids that I worry will have to grow up in a country that will seem so foreign to what America was suppose to stand for.

As for Palin, I don't get it...

If she can help we should embrace here.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top